PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Photography Insurance

robnlauren
8th of June 2006 (Thu), 15:16
Finding information about insurance seems to be an almost mythic quest. There are quite a few posts on this forum and others about the topic but none seem to lead anywhere. I'm hoping anyone out there who is running a photography business shooting weddings will be able to help me out.

First of all I live in Edmonton, Canada. I've started up a small photography company, with the eventual intent of shooting weddings and light portraiture. Right now we're just geting ourselves established, but we hope to be booking weddings by next summer. As of yet we are an unincorporated company but hope to be incorporated within the next 6 months.

I need to know where I can get insurance for
A) All of the photography equipment we have acquired. This amounts to about 15-20 thousand CDN dollars. I would like to be covered for the typical fire and theft BUT I would also like to be covered in the event that we drop a lense by accident or break a camera body by accident.
B) Liability insurance- For if we're taking pictures and someone trips over our gear, or if we accidently damage some property at an event we're shooting we need to be covered.

Listing the gear under house insurance policy's is not an option as house insurance won't cover equipment which is used to make a commercial profit with (I think a lot of photographers forget this fact when they list their camera under their house insurance policy!!!)

Can any wedding photographers, specifically in Canada explain how they went about getting insurance coverage and what the extent of that coverage is.

Thanks in advance for any help on the topic.
Cheers,
Rob

Eoseni
8th of June 2006 (Thu), 15:29
I'm also interested in the same question, and am generally in the same situation - though not a studio - just solo going pro, but I'm in CT, USA. Laws may be different. Thanks for the post.

Big Mike
9th of June 2006 (Fri), 12:28
Have you called your (or any) insurance company? I would think that business insurance is a pretty standard thing. You might even get a discount for using the same company you use for your personal insurance.

Maybe check out the Canadian Association of Photographic Art (http://www.capacanada.ca/)

I'm also a photographer in Edmonton, just starting out. Good luck to you.

jamiewexler
9th of June 2006 (Fri), 13:07
http://www.hillusher.com/WPPI/

rlhphotos
9th of June 2006 (Fri), 16:53
You should be able to take out a secondary on your home insurance to cover equipment like that, if you dont own a house then call a standard insurance company, they will work with you. As far as liabilty if you join the PPA you are entitled so legal help if you opt for it in your membership dues. Other than a professional organization backing you I haven't seen much on the liabilty insurance end.

but Jamie's site look promising for covering everything.

SuzyView
9th of June 2006 (Fri), 16:59
I got mine through a private insurance agency. It's very inexpensive I think $500/year and it covers jobs that are not paid or people that don't come through. But always, insurance is a good idea.

Tim_h
10th of June 2006 (Sat), 18:48
I just got insurance from State Farm. I wanted to get my equipment covered so they quoted me 276 per year to cover 9k of equipment and that includes 300,000 for liability. As far as I know you cant add your equipment to your homeowners policy if you take pictures for money.

jra
11th of June 2006 (Sun), 07:56
As someone else stated above...I just called my insurance company and they gave me a policy. Just let them know when you call that the equipment is for commercial use and they will direct you towards the correct coverage.

robnlauren
12th of June 2006 (Mon), 00:25
The one Jamie gave looked good, except it seems like it's only for the States! At least as far as I could see.

I'll give a couple insurnace companies a call and talk to them. Maybe look into PPA as well, or the Canadian version. Thanks guys!

Svetlana
17th of February 2010 (Wed), 14:30
Hi there, I'm from Calgary and I got my insurance through Meloche Monnex (TD)...including travel, liability and gear insurance. The payments will depend on how much gear you have, how much space youhave for an office, whether you have an advertising sign etc...

Peacefield
17th of February 2010 (Wed), 17:29
I just got insurance from State Farm. I wanted to get my equipment covered so they quoted me 276 per year to cover 9k of equipment and that includes 300,000 for liability. As far as I know you cant add your equipment to your homeowners policy if you take pictures for money.

Similar thing for me. Through State Farm and as a business; not associated with my homeowners. $2 million liability and $16k on gear for $300/year.

jstrattonphotography
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 09:38
I called my insurance company and asked about business insurance for a photography business. I have $1million in liability coverage, $10K equipment coverage (till I upgrade again) and $15K more in computer coverage as well as many other add ins. It costs $500/year.

canoncad
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 16:00
THNAKS FOR THE GOOD INFO.

cory1848
26th of February 2010 (Fri), 13:44
http://www.tcpinsurance.com/
http://www.packagechoice.com/index.jsp#htwms
and Marsh through PPA.

j_ambrose
27th of February 2010 (Sat), 17:46
thanks for the info everyone, been looking for some knowledge on this lately.

Travis Forsyth
28th of February 2010 (Sun), 10:22
I just read an artical that kinda-sorta covers this over at DPS.

http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-legally-become-a-professional-photographer?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DigitalPhotographySchool+%28D igital+Photography+School%29

imageswest
29th of September 2010 (Wed), 19:19
Hi there, I'm from Calgary and I got my insurance through Meloche Monnex (TD)...including travel, liability and gear insurance. The payments will depend on how much gear you have, how much space youhave for an office, whether you have an advertising sign etc...

Svetlana, that is very good news that Meloche Monnex is now offering this coverage. :D

I've had my home and auto insurance through them for many years, but the last time I asked them about coverage for photo gear, they told me they would not cover me under my homeowner's policy if I made any income from it (which I do). At the time, they did not offer any coverage for "professional" photographers, but from what you've said, that has obviously changed now.

sctbiggs
30th of September 2010 (Thu), 07:40
for those with equipment insurance that have actually used it to replace damaged equipment, how much did your rate increase after use?

shibui
20th of December 2012 (Thu), 17:29
for those with equipment insurance that have actually used it to replace damaged equipment, how much did your rate increase after use?

I had this experience this year. Iím in Canada with home insurance with Meloche Monnex. Roughly 8 years ago, I asked for additional coverage for a freelance business operating out of my home, with coverage for about 20K of equipment. Rolled with my home insurance, it was about $35/mo (I can't remember the exact amount now). Over the years, it has gradually increased to $39.86/mo. But this year, I had to make a claim for just over $8K when I left/lost my camera bag in a taxi. I was just informed that as of the policy renewal starting this month, my monthly payment went up to $54.44.

So yeah, thatís quite a lot. OTOH, canít be without insurance. If I had to make another claim somewhere down the line and they bumped my payments up again, Iíd switch to another insurer. For now, I think itís still a decent deal.

Or perhaps itís not. Does someone pay a lot less? (Canadian insurers.)

bluefire7
26th of December 2012 (Wed), 11:01
I've got statefarm for homeowner's so i simply attach a rider for gen. liability insurance as well as equipment insurance

Kowenjr
26th of December 2012 (Wed), 11:46
Will liability Insurance cover a law suit against the inability to deliver the product? Say you had an accident on the way to the wedding an were unable to do the gig? Just a hypothetical question but got me thinking...

scorpio_e
26th of December 2012 (Wed), 13:51
^ You should have that covered in your contract. Also have a back up plan in case that happens.

picturecrazy
27th of December 2012 (Thu), 12:25
Wow thread from the dead!

In a lot of cases, adding a rider for your gear onto your homeowner's policy will not cover a BUSINESS. At least, this is definitely not how it worked for my insurance with State Farm.

My insurance is around $800 a year. And liability does not cover you for failure to deliver product. That is E&O insurance, and it's generally very hard to find. I know up here in Canada, pretty much the only place that will do it is Harvard Western Insurance, and you can only do it through being a member of the Professional Photographers Of Canada. I mean, if they are going to insure your photographic abilities, then they'll want to know that you have SOME form of accreditation through a professional association.

I would imagine PPA in the states would have something similar set up for their members to take advantage of.

JohnThomas
8th of January 2013 (Tue), 17:30
Sorry to dig up an old topic - Ive been looking for insurance as well. I heard State Farm will only insure people with studios?

I'm looking into TCP and Hill & Usher. My apologies if the claim about State Farm is inaccurate.