PDA

View Full Version : Compact Flash card 'Rescue' Software

CoolToolGuy
13th of October 2003 (Mon), 21:22
Lexar includes 'Rescue' software with their 40x cards, and Sandisk includes 'Rescue' software with the Sandisk Extreme cards. I've read the descriptions in the ads, but I wonder what exactly this software does. Has anyone used it? Will it work on any card? Is this software available anywhere else, or do I have to pony up for an expensive CF card to get it?
Thanks, and Have Fun

CyberDyneSystems
13th of October 2003 (Mon), 22:01
A freind of mine lost all of a photo shoot on his Olympus E10's Compact Falsh card. (i think he formated?)

We used "Fast File Recovery" which is similar to these other tools and I got all his images back for him.

Dans_D60
13th of October 2003 (Mon), 23:53
CF cards look to your camera or computer as any other disk. So when you delete, format, or even encounter a corrupt file, the data is not lost. Deleting or formatting just changes the header information in the File Allocation Tables (FAT16 or FAT32). The image data is still there assuming you don’t do a whole lot of new images that may overwrite the original. On two occasions I needed to recover images that my camera or computer could not find on my CF cards. I use a product called Photorescue. It will work with any CF card or just about anything with a FAT schema. It costs $29 but offers free downloads for trial: http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

Dan
http://www.pettusphoto.com

CoolToolGuy
14th of October 2003 (Tue), 12:58
Thanks for the replies. So now I wonder if the software that Sandisk and Lexar provide will work on other/all cards. If I can get a Sandisk Extreme card for a small premiun over an Ultra and get the software it may be cheaper than paying $29 for the software alone.
Any thoughts?
Have Fun

robertwgross
14th of October 2003 (Tue), 13:48
What will Sandisk Extreme get you compared to Ultra or a standard?

---Bob Gross---

availlant
14th of October 2003 (Tue), 14:06
On a D10

Sandisk Regular = 700k/sec
Sandisk Ultra = 1400k/sec
Sandisk Ultra II = 2200k/sec
Sandisk Ultra Extreme = 2300k/sec (+ operates from -13 to 150 deg F)

see the Galbraith website for the actual details on this.

I have a regular sandisk and just bought a sandisk extreme and the in camera performance is improved enough to make a real difference when shooting and reviewing pictures

robertwgross
14th of October 2003 (Tue), 14:52
availlant wrote:
On a D10

Sandisk Regular = 700k/sec
Sandisk Ultra = 1400k/sec
Sandisk Ultra II = 2200k/sec
Sandisk Ultra Extreme = 2300k/sec (+ operates from -13 to 150 deg F)

see the Galbraith website for the actual details on this.

I have a regular sandisk and just bought a sandisk extreme and the in camera performance is improved enough to make a real difference when shooting and reviewing pictures

OK, this is for the Nikon D10. Do you have anything for a Canon digital camera?

---Bob Gross---

robvonk
15th of October 2003 (Wed), 08:41
There's a freeware application that does the job too. You can find it here:

http://www.happyfoto.de/rescue.htm

Worked for me.

Motorsports Photo
16th of October 2003 (Thu), 16:10
I "rescued" a days shooting with Norton Utilities. It fixed all but a few images.

Drawback: All the files were renamed file00x.chk!

Annoying, but not as annoying as losing the days images.

-Pete