PDA

View Full Version : Need sports shooting advice

Billginthekeys
2nd of July 2006 (Sun), 11:35
In high school i shot my school sports and events for the yearbook, so i have a bit of experience. This fall i am going to the university of miami and am going to shoot sports and events for their yearbook/newspaper. I have a good and diverse range of lenses, so i think im fine there, but those of you with more experience, is there anything else that i need that would get me the best pictures.

So far im pretty sure i need a second body, so i can keep the 70-200 on one body, and one of my other wider lenses on a second body. for this i will probably either get a cheap used 10D, a used 1DmkI, or another 20D (depending on how much money i can make this summer before i go). Ideally i think i want the 1DmkI. with the better focusing i think it would be invauable with my teles on it for better tracking of players in action. and since this is only for small print applications i dont think 4.1mp will be too big a problem.

Also, would adding a grip to my 20D help a lot to A.) balance the weight, and B.) shooting vert shots(which i assume ill do a lot more of in sports)? I personally have never wanted one for my main love of nature photography, but how many of you use one and like it?

Anything else would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for your time and advice,
Billy

KIPAX
2nd of July 2006 (Sun), 11:41
For me the battery grip isnt about balance or vertical shots.. Its for exactly what it was intended... Doing sports event the battery can run out before the end... You really dont want to be stuck changing batteries because thats exactly the time something will happen.. get a grip :)

Spearin
2nd of July 2006 (Sun), 12:08
What sports do you have experience in shooting with your high school? It seems that you are well kitted out covering the 17-200mm range and even 400mm. This will definitely help you out for outdoor sports like football, soccer, lacrosse, etc (since you have the 400mm), but I'm not sure how you'll do with indoor sports such as basketball and volleyball... since f/4 may not be fast enough, but that purely depends on the facility. I would assume that the U of Miami would have some nice facilities for indoor sports. What sports do you plan on shooting?

As for the battery grip... I plan on ordering one (as soon as my credit card arrives in the mail) for the very two reasons that you stated. I'll be getting a 70-200mm f/2.8L as well and I have heard that the grip helps to balance it out. I also do tend to shoot a lot of vertical for basketball (especially), hockey, and volleyball so it will also help out there. The extra battery life is a bonus :) Although, I never have had any problems with battery life during sports events.

In terms of a second body, I don't use one (mainly since I can't afford one)... but it might be nice if you can afford it. The pros must use two for a good reason ;) 4.1mp shouldn't be a problem at all. My paper's camera is an old Fuji Finepix S1 Pro, which is only 4mp and we would get full cover shots with it. With newsprint, you don't need the sharpest shot either since even the sharpest won't even be that noticeable (compared to looking at a monitor).

If I was in your place, I might even sell my 20D and upgrade to a 1D MkII N, since I have been getting along fine with one body all this time - plus you are fine for glass, unless you wanted to get some faster stuff (16-35mm f/2.8L instead of your 17-40mm). Although, my next moves are for more glass and I will look at upgrading my body later on when I'm satisfied with the glass arsenal.

To sum up: Yes, the battery grip should be worth it for the 20D (even though I don't have personal experience with it... yet). A second body may be worth it since you have a good range of glass, although I would personally upgrade my body since I am already used to getting by with one body.

Final advice: Find out the team practice schedules of the sports that you want to shoot. This will allow you to get more practice and learning experience instead of having to learn on game day.

Billginthekeys
2nd of July 2006 (Sun), 12:18
thanks. I forgot to mention that i am also getting the 28 1.8 for indoor sports. I should be shooting just about everything, football, basketball, volleyball, baseball, intramurels. I have had experience with all of them, but of course im hopeing to do better now that its a paying job. good advice on the practice schedules.

Thanks for the advice so far, Keep it coming :)

gmen
2nd of July 2006 (Sun), 15:20
This is probably the first time I've actively advertised this thread:

http://www.photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=116971

...but doing so will save me a bit of typing.

I hope you find something useful in there.

---- Gavin

psurrette
3rd of July 2006 (Mon), 00:57
Billy, Get the grip, as stated the 20D can and will go through some batteries. I do like it for the vert shots as well. I would look at the 85 1.8 before the 28 1.8. not sure what kind of sports you will be doing but you would need to be right on top of some one to use the 28. Don't worry about a second body yet. Expand on the glass, in my opinion that is more usefull. Can't wait to see some shots later this year.

Pete

Billginthekeys
3rd of July 2006 (Mon), 09:15
This is probably the first time I've actively advertised this thread:

http://www.photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=116971

...but doing so will save me a bit of typing.

I hope you find something useful in there.

---- Gavin

ive read about half of it now, and have gotten some good points, thanks.

Billginthekeys
3rd of July 2006 (Mon), 09:18
Billy, Get the grip, as stated the 20D can and will go through some batteries. I do like it for the vert shots as well. I would look at the 85 1.8 before the 28 1.8. not sure what kind of sports you will be doing but you would need to be right on top of some one to use the 28. Don't worry about a second body yet. Expand on the glass, in my opinion that is more usefull. Can't wait to see some shots later this year.

Pete
i am getting the 28 1.8 simply so i have something wider that is low light. not only for sports but also for concerts and other campus activities. as for the 85, i was always going to get it, but then i got the 70-200 2.8, and kinda felt i wouldnt need it anymore, but mabye i should still consider it for a lighter load? as for expand on the glass, other than the 28/85 what else were u thinking of? cause i feel pretty set on lenses really, i cant afford a 300 2.8 so other than that with my 70-200 and lowlight primes i feel pretty covered.

Croasdail
3rd of July 2006 (Mon), 22:10
thanks. I forgot to mention that i am also getting the 28 1.8 for indoor sports. I should be shooting just about everything, football, basketball, volleyball, baseball, intramurels. I have had experience with all of them, but of course im hopeing to do better now that its a paying job. good advice on the practice schedules.

Thanks for the advice so far, Keep it coming :)

First - read, and re-read Gavins stuff.... it will save you a ton of learning the hard way. On the second body - skip the 10D. I have one and it is a great camera, but for sports, it is just too slow of a focuser. For football and other field sports, you'll just end up let down. Honestly, the keeper rate with the 20d isn't that much better. Where I use my now, since you mentioned a the wide angle, is I use it with a Sigma 20 f1.8 mounted under the rim fired with a pocket wizard. The 1D is a rock solid camera, but it's images max out at somewhere between 8x10 and 11x14. Anything bigger, and it really starts loosing it. For yearbook, it will be fine.... but for portfolio building, for anything more then web presentation, I think it's not up to today's standard. What you will like is the hair trigger - you think.. and it shoots. Miami should also have some bodies you can use too.

So save up... then wait. You might be surprised. The other thing I have found is depending on which department you are shooting, they might be using Canon or Nikon. At one school I shoot at, the use both - and I just bought - everyone close your ears - a D200 so I can use both groups lenses. I have been really happy with the 10 mpx images and it is pretty good at ISO 1600 - much better then anything youll get from a 1D and pretty close to the 20d. Where it does really shine is it's responsive shutter. The camera makes up it's mind really quick. For sport shooting, that is just so important. But for used... try out the 1D... if you don't like it... sell it for what you bought it for. But once you shot a camera will real fast AF and a quick trigger.... your 20d will feel really slow to you.

Good luck at Miami... have fun with it. Cheers.

Billginthekeys
4th of July 2006 (Tue), 16:31
thanks for the advice so far. and i really would love a 1DmkII, but its just outside of my budget.

Another question, with already owning the 70-200 2.8, would the 85 1.8 really be a good addition?

Also, what bag type do you all perfer for sports shooting? i have a backpack for nature hiking, but i dont think itll really be the best for switching lenses and moving around the field.

Croasdail
6th of July 2006 (Thu), 19:50
On the 85, yes, it is an essential lens in you kit for indoor sports and events.

isdoo
16th of July 2006 (Sun), 14:40
On the second body - skip the 10D. I have one and it is a great camera, but for sports, it is just too slow of a focuser. For football and other field sports, you'll just end up let down. Honestly, the keeper rate with the 20d isn't that much better..

I have to disagree here - when the 10D was the latest camera - then it was fine for sports - sport hasn't got any faster - so the camera is still fine.

Ok - the more recent cameras are better is some aspects - but that doesn't mean that the 10D has suddenly become poor at sports :)

liza
16th of July 2006 (Sun), 15:15
I'd get another 20D for the second body, as it's faster and performs better in low light than the other two cameras you mentioned. You need faster lenses, also, if you plan to shoot sports. The 70-200 f/2.8 is great, but you might also consider the 200 f/2.8L with a 1.4x TC for the second body. If there's any way at all you can swing a used 300mm prime lens, do it. The length is invaluable for football games. As for indoor sports, I'd invest in an 85mm f/1.8 and maybe pickup a 50mm for under basket shots. I use a 50, 85, 100 combo during basketball season, which works very well.

grego
16th of July 2006 (Sun), 19:59
I have to disagree here - when the 10D was the latest camera - then it was fine for sports - sport hasn't got any faster - so the camera is still fine.

Ok - the more recent cameras are better is some aspects - but that doesn't mean that the 10D has suddenly become poor at sports :)

At the time, sure, but technology has improved. My 10D defintely shows its errors when compared to other cameras. Especially when using two cameras, as a second camera, the shutter lag to turn it back on is pretty slow.

It's good to have two cameras doing PJ work, but in gyms, its not the best to have around.

Some good low light lens of course 50 and 85 for longer.

Croasdail
18th of July 2006 (Tue), 10:20

I know where you are coming from on this... and yes, you can get some really nice shots with the 10D... absolutely. But if you shoot sports regularly, then the ability to go safely to ISO 1600 (or even 3200) with the 20D makes a huge difference. Focusing speeds under less then perfectly good light are also diminished with the 10D as compared to the 20D - significantly. Again, this isn't to say you can't get shots with the 10D, just the number of keepers increases with the 20D... and then dramatically again when you even go to a 1D. The additional focus points and decreased shutter lag are very noticable. It just comes down to how much of your shooting is sports versus other types of shooting. If your style is more general stuff... the 10D is still a very usable camera - I still have mine for that exact purpose. But the increased processing power of the new cameras - focus speed, write speeds, etc - it makes a huge difference. Being able to shoot RAW in bad light conditions without having to worry and wait for the buffer to clear... it's means getting and not getting the shot a lot of the time.