PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for equipment on a Cruise

dave_borg98
26th of July 2006 (Wed), 12:52
I am going to be going on a cruise for my honeymoon in Oct. and would like to get some input from anyone that may have taken equipment on a cruise before. I have never been on one before, so that is why I am asking. We will be going to Grand Cayman, Jamaica, and Cozumel. I am sure there will be some great shots for photos. Thanks

What are some things that I need to bring for sure?

What should I not bring?

Should I just bring a basic lens and all the CF Cards I can get? or should I bring the kit lens and then my 70-300?

staciecd
26th of July 2006 (Wed), 12:55
I took that cruise! RC, right? Alot will depend on what excursions you will take. Cozumel is my favorite stop, but also make sure that you visit the Dunn River Falls. I would take a waterproof bag for most excursions. There will be many picture taking ops, so yes, a good number of cards or a way to download pics off of the cards is helpful. And in case of rough seas, some sort of seasickness medicine is helpful!

crn3371
26th of July 2006 (Wed), 20:16
You don't have all that big of a kit. I'd bring it all. The kit lens will fill your wide angle needs, the 50 would be nice for available light shots, flash is always useful, and the 70-300 will help extend the meager 55mm reach from the kit lens.

Skip Souza
26th of July 2006 (Wed), 20:58
I would bring your whole kit and all the memory I could get my hands on (I tend to shoot a lot). If I had to leave something behind it would be the 50mm because you already have that covered but it is so small, what the heck.
Have tons of fun and be sure to share when you return.

tim
26th of July 2006 (Wed), 22:23
1) Sun tan lotion.
2) A hat.
3) Swimming costumes.
4) Activities to help keep you amused.
55) A small point and shoot camera you're not afraid to show in public.
56) One camera, one wide angle lens, one normal or fast lens, one flash, battery charger, some CF.

Remember what the point of the trip is :)

dave_borg98
26th of July 2006 (Wed), 22:38
1) Sun tan lotion.
2) A hat.
3) Swimming costumes.
4) Activities to help keep you amused.
55) A small point and shoot camera you're not afraid to show in public.
56) One camera, one wide angle lens, one normal or fast lens, one flash, battery charger, some CF.

Remember what the point of the trip is :)

LOL. I don't think I could forget why we are there.

Any suggestions on the waterproof bag? Thanks for all the suggestions. Maybe I am just overthinking this some.

tim
26th of July 2006 (Wed), 22:47
What do you need a waterproof bag for? Are you on a cabin or swimming behind the boat?! :p I use a lowepro backpack, because it doesn't look like a camera bag.

dave_borg98
26th of July 2006 (Wed), 23:59
Once again, probably not thinking things all the way through. If there is going to be water close, I will leave it in the cabin. I am really not wanting to swin behind or stay under the boat.:-) Thanks for the replies.

BillMarks
28th of July 2006 (Fri), 15:53
Don't forget a boat...

SimonG
28th of July 2006 (Fri), 22:01
I am going to be going on a cruise for my honeymoon...
1) Sun tan lotion.
2) A hat.
3) Swimming costumes. ...
They're gonna be outside? :?
... Remember what the point of the trip is ...
:razz: ;)

liza
28th of July 2006 (Fri), 22:25
I would think that taking pictures would be the last thing you'd think of on your honeymoon. ;)

tim
28th of July 2006 (Fri), 22:43
I would think that taking pictures would be the last thing you'd think of on your honeymoon. ;)

Depends what the pictures are of!

Skip Souza
28th of July 2006 (Fri), 22:45
Gotta get some rest sometime :-)

liza
29th of July 2006 (Sat), 00:08
Depends what the pictures are of!

You've got a point there. In that case, take a sturdy tripod and a remote release!

dave_borg98
29th of July 2006 (Sat), 05:31
You've got a point there. In that case, take a sturdy tripod and a remote release!

That is a must. :D

I figure there will be some decent photo ops when we go on land. There will not be much time for photos when we are on the boat.

Woolburr
29th of July 2006 (Sat), 05:45
Take a P&S....more than ample and less risk of being stolen. You have other priorites on this trip. Enjoy. There will be other trips better suited to photography.