PDA

View Full Version : Underwhelming

Doctor Diesel
24th of August 2006 (Thu), 01:25
is it just me or was anyone else surprised there was no announcements about prosumer/pro cameras today.....what happened to the 1d upgrades? guess johnpaul was wrong or mayby we all have to wait til photokina next month.

bnlearle
24th of August 2006 (Thu), 01:34
I agree 100%. I was hoping to see if I should get my 1ds MK2 or not. I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer. And what was this about John Paul selling is 70-200 IS? Why would you sell your f/2.8 IS for a f/4 IS? I know it will be lighter, but it seemed to me like he was implying that something revolutionary was coming out (something so revolutionary, that he wouldn't need his current lens any longer. I think his words were that this lens would change the way we photographer, or something like that. An f/4 hardly does that.). Unless there is something else to be announced, I think it is safe to say that he either exagerated the amazing"ness" of his secret information or he was blowing smoke. I would love for it to be the first option (that there is something yet to be announced). I just really hope this isn't it. A 10mp rebel is hardly the "legend" I was expecting. I would assume that it is though, being that they implied that the legend would be unveiled the 24th.

Doctor Diesel
24th of August 2006 (Thu), 02:41
yeh, lets get the pitchforks and torches!........

(only kidding!!)

ssim
24th of August 2006 (Thu), 03:34
It's still early in the day in a large part of the world, hell its 230am as write this from here.

Doctor Diesel
24th of August 2006 (Thu), 03:55
OK, we'll give it til 5pm hawaii time! (only adding fuel to the fire :-) )

Croasdail
24th of August 2006 (Thu), 06:32
I am really really really hoping this isn't it. I have been Canon guy for 30 years.... but baught a D200 to work with one customer in particular... and was pleasently surprised. I was really wanting Canon to launch a solid counter attack, but so far, this is nothing. Dang!

zacker
24th of August 2006 (Thu), 06:38
70-200 f4 IS.... wish I waited to buy my 70-200 f4 non IS

Now, how much for this new L f4 IS??

Gadget-Guy
24th of August 2006 (Thu), 06:54
The 400 D seems to be on most of the Canon sites worldwide now but it is a bit of a disapointment that there is no 1 series upgrade mentioned for release this year. Will keep my fingers crossed until after Photokina as they have kept the 400D a secret up until 1 day before the official launch so better wait and see.Just shows that you should never listen to rumours,could you imagine selling your f2.8 IS and then finding out the replacement you have been waiting for is an f4 version LOL.

grego
24th of August 2006 (Thu), 08:23
I am really really really hoping this isn't it. I have been Canon guy for 30 years.... but baught a D200 to work with one customer in particular... and was pleasently surprised. I was really wanting Canon to launch a solid counter attack, but so far, this is nothing. Dang!

How bout a 1DMKII?

DavidW
24th of August 2006 (Thu), 08:52
Now, how much for this new L f4 IS??
According to this press release from Canon USA (http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/20060824_lens.html), it's an estimated selling price of US$1249. It's not a cheap lens! The price doesn't appear to include a tripod ring, but I could be wrong on that.

Street price will probably be lower, but I'd guess it will be up in US$1000-1100 territory for some while. $1100 would make it some $500 more than the non IS f/4 (which that press release says will remain a current model) and not a lot cheaper than the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L (non-IS), which is discontinued in some markets and may disappear altogether.

The price premium of EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS over EF 70-200mm f/2.8L (non-IS) is US$560 at B&H.

Here in the UK, I wouldn't be surprised if the street price of EF 70-200mm f/4L IS is around 950 (street price of EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS is 1250-1300).

It will be a popular lens for some, I'm sure, but at that price, I wonder how many people will jump straight to it's f/2.8 brother. I don't find my EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS too bulky or heavy, though it is on my personal comfort limit.

David

Croasdail
24th of August 2006 (Thu), 09:35
How bout a 1DMKII?

I have the non-N... need something more then the N to seperate me from my money right now... unless it wears out. Ah well... probably best anyway I don't have something new to buy right now.

Mikelangelo
24th of August 2006 (Thu), 09:36
If the f/4.0 IS was marked at about $1k, I would sell my non IS version to upgrade... but at that pricepoint... it's not worth it to me. And, of course, the $1600 price tag for the 50 is out of the question... sigh...**Cursing the cost of glass**

MrChad
24th of August 2006 (Thu), 09:54
is it just me or was anyone else surprised there was no announcements about prosumer/pro cameras today.....what happened to the 1d upgrades? guess johnpaul was wrong or mayby we all have to wait til photokina next month.

Perhaps this was the best net hoaks yet. The great 400D and mystical 50L. :p

AeroSmith
24th of August 2006 (Thu), 10:21
Um, yeah, this a big disapointment to me. But I guess it makes sense for Canon in their competition against Nikon.

I'm looking for a new body to shoot sports and I'm in complete limbo right now. Looks like I may have to bite the bullet and buy a 1DmkIIn. What I really want is a weather sealed 5D that'll do more than 5fps.

davidfig
24th of August 2006 (Thu), 10:56
I have the non-N... need something more then the N to seperate me from my money right now... unless it wears out. Ah well... probably best anyway I don't have something new to buy right now.

Since Nikon has made these new cameras, there is only one feature I would like that Nikon has, the ability to turn off pre-flash (at least in M mode). But there where others, like the 1/500 flash sync, pro build in semi-pro models. flash sync gone on the new Nikon models.....oh well, just cements me into canon a little more.

DavidW
24th of August 2006 (Thu), 11:08
Since Nikon has made these new cameras, there is only one feature I would like that Nikon has, the ability to turn off pre-flash (at least in M mode).
Unless I'm very mistaken, the latest Speedlites, such as the 580EX and 430EX don't preflash when you switch the Speedlite to M mode. The body mode makes no difference (I often use E-TTL flash with M mode on the camera).

You only have a 420EX in your signature, which, from memory, has no real capability other than E-TTL.

Another way around the preflash is to use FEL to fire the preflash separately from the main burst, though FEL means partial flash metering rather than the evaluative or average (depending on the setting of a custom function) of E-TTL without FEL.

David

MrChad
24th of August 2006 (Thu), 11:28
Um, yeah, this a big disapointment to me. But I guess it makes sense for Canon in their competition against Nikon.

I'm looking for a new body to shoot sports and I'm in complete limbo right now. Looks like I may have to bite the bullet and buy a 1DmkIIn. What I really want is a weather sealed 5D that'll do more than 5fps.

ditto.

Richard in Idaho
24th of August 2006 (Thu), 13:12
No I was not surprised. Just what I thought would be announced. Look at Canons history.We will see a pro camera next month. 30D & 5D somethime in '07.

AeroSmith
24th of August 2006 (Thu), 15:03
To hell with it...I just ordered a 1DmkIIn from B&H. I need to get shooting (action) now and can't wait a month or two.

Probably saved myself $4,000 to boot.

Mikelangelo
24th of August 2006 (Thu), 15:07
"To hell with it..."

yeah.. I might just have to say that when my next freelance check comes in and just get the 30D... sigh.