PDA

View Full Version : EF 70-300/4-5.6 IS ever comming back?

gjl711
25th of August 2006 (Fri), 10:14
I am in need of something longer than the EF28-135 IS and have narrowed down the list of a few lenses. The 70-300IS is the front runner, but when is it going to be generally available? Anyone hear any rumors? I called several shops and all just shrug. Its been months now. I am beginning to rethink and lean toward the 70-200 f4 at least until I saw the announcement for the 70-200 f4 IS. Maybe Ill just keep saving until November and by then go for the L.

FlyingPete
3rd of September 2006 (Sun), 17:01
That is wierd, I played with a 70-300IS over a year ago, it had only just come out and had replaced the 75-300IS.

I would go the 70-200 f/4 over it though as a cropped 200mm image off the 70-200 is sharper than a 300mm image off the 70-300IS.

Harry Winter
1st of November 2006 (Wed), 00:53
How about the 70-300mm DO IS ? --- I got that one, because the older 75-300 IS was really an outdated lens and quite bad at 300. --- I am now learning that the "70-300 DO" will give me "L" lens sharpness, but only with extensive work in Photoshop, or at least by using an external sharpener. I found that this DO-lens is unforgiving in difficult lighting conditions. (I am waiting for DxO to make a version for the Rebel XTi)
Rumor has it that Canon is now fixing the problems with the "new and improved" 70-300 IS which is using regular, conventional, lens elements.
http://www.msmisp.com/logos/D-Reb+DO-lens.jpg

gjl711
1st of November 2006 (Wed), 09:12
Wow, a blast from the past. But might as well put closure to the thread. The 70-300IS did come back and I picked one from B&H up a few weeks ago. I am real happy with the lens though I have had only a few opportunities to really give it a workout. One, a demo-derby on a cloudy drizzly day I am sure worked out the IS and the lens performed marvelously. Even at 300mm and all shots hand help, I had but a handful of not quite sharp pics out of 150 shots.

RossW
1st of November 2006 (Wed), 19:12
Rumor has it that Canon is now fixing the problems with the "new and improved" 70-300 IS which is using regular, conventional, lens elements.

Yes... even with the "problems" the 70-300 IS was a great lens. Updated versions have been shipping for months, now. Pity if you didn't see this (http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_70300_4556do_is/index.htm).

rklepper
3rd of November 2006 (Fri), 23:40
How about the 70-300mm DO IS ? --- I got that one, because the older 75-300 IS was really an outdated lens and quite bad at 300. --- I am now learning that the "70-300 DO" will give me "L" lens sharpness, but only with extensive work in Photoshop, or at least by using an external sharpener. I found that this DO-lens is unforgiving in difficult lighting conditions. (I am waiting for DxO to make a version for the Rebel XTi)

If it gives you L sharpness, "but only with extensive work in Photoshop" is it really the lens giving you anything? Or is it all photoshop?

Harry Winter
5th of November 2006 (Sun), 15:51
Hi Doc Klepper
There is a Thread right here on this forum by J. Rabin which explains the work which needs to be done in Photoshop to get good "sharpness" from this Do-lens. (You are right, it's a pain in the neck!)
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?212&t=224053

Hi RossW, I got my DO-lens from B&H long before the "New and Improved" 70-300 IS USM came onto the market. My DO-lens has serial # 880 000 047.

Croasdail
17th of November 2006 (Fri), 07:17
I had the 75-300 IS... sold it because it wasn't a serious lens and kept reading it was a bad lens, so I sold it on eBay. I used it for several trips and now looking back at the pictures I took, they were pretty dang good for the purpose I had the lens for. What a stupid idiot I was for listening to others, because it seems the lens really was better then I thought. Or my standards are just lower then I thought... either it did the job for me.

MrChad
24th of November 2006 (Fri), 18:09
I had the 75-300 IS... sold it because it wasn't a serious lens and kept reading it was a bad lens, so I sold it on eBay. I used it for several trips and now looking back at the pictures I took, they were pretty dang good for the purpose I had the lens for. What a stupid idiot I was for listening to others, because it seems the lens really was better then I thought. Or my standards are just lower then I thought... either it did the job for me.

I love my 75-300 IS USM, I'm not quite sure why everyone always dissed this lens. It's very light, and I find it very usuable at any focal length. It's the lens I always reach for on travel before my 70-200mm f/2.8L.

The L is great for sports thanks to its ring type USM, else the 75-300 IS USM is a truely wonderful lens.