PDA

View Full Version : Low light concert :-)

RiverCottage
4th of September 2006 (Mon), 10:47
Hi

Im off to a low lighty ish outside based concert and need some lovely photos and dont think my tokina 12-24's going to do the job, I'd like a zoom to cover all bases, so i was thinking either a super 2.8 or going for a canon IS lens to get lower shutter speeds

Build quality is important, i was looking at the canon consumer IS range but not sure on the build quality?,the sigma 24-70 it looks built like a tank!

so its IS or a better aperture?

If anybody could give me their 2pence i'd be grateful!

:-)

morehtml
4th of September 2006 (Mon), 10:57
"Low light concert" has me thinking a zoom will only work with flash. A 24-70 2.8 would be fine with flash.

Without flash I am thinking a prime like the 50 1.4 or 35 1.4?

Of course outside if it's before dark there may be more light than I think. Anyway go up to 1600 ISO if needed.

A prime aperature would be preferred if it was me without knowing more about your event.

selven
4th of September 2006 (Mon), 10:59
What kind of shots are you looking for?

RiverCottage
4th of September 2006 (Mon), 11:28
thanks guys, im not realy looking to get good views of the stage or anything, its more the atmosphere and friends and the goings on, its BBC proms in the park, im expecting quite a bit of variety in the shots im going to get, ive already got a 50mm 1.8 if needed, but the tokina is just useless when it gets a bit dark, although i do love my tokina dearly :-)

tacos3
4th of September 2006 (Mon), 11:45
I shoot a lot of indoor concerts(no flash) with stage lighting and I find that the lens I use more than any other is my 70-200 2.8L. If I get real close I'll use a 50 1.4. If I want wide shots, I'll use my 16-35 2.8L.

Here are some examples: http://www.baysidepictures.com/gallery/953874/2/43843876/Large
http://www.baysidepictures.com/gallery/953874/3/43852777/Large

Good Luck.

narlus
4th of September 2006 (Mon), 12:39
Hi

Im off to a low lighty ish outside based concert and need some lovely photos and dont think my tokina 12-24's going to do the job, I'd like a zoom to cover all bases, so i was thinking either a super 2.8 or going for a canon IS lens to get lower shutter speeds

Build quality is important, i was looking at the canon consumer IS range but not sure on the build quality?,the sigma 24-70 it looks built like a tank!

so its IS or a better aperture?

If anybody could give me their 2pence i'd be grateful!

the tokina, as you rightly surmised, ain't gonna cut it. i've got that lens but have never thought to bring it to a gig; f/4 is just far too slow in my experience.

zooms are nice esp when you are anchored to one spot and can't do the foot zoom (ie, crowded show), but fast ones cost a lot of $. my best bet is to use two fast primes, one wider (30) and one longer (50, though i've rented an 85 a couple of times).

IS won't work for a damn w/ moving musicians.

plenty of good advice and helpful people in the performing arts forum; come join us.

rklepper
4th of September 2006 (Mon), 13:23
The 2 I use the most in low light with no flash, with very good results, are the 85 f/1.8 and the 50 f/1.4.

RiverCottage
4th of September 2006 (Mon), 14:47
Thanks for all the advice, looks like any form of IS will be useless with anything that moves? Looks like getting a good aperture is the way to go :-)

Thanks guys

narlus
4th of September 2006 (Mon), 23:08
btw, if you are gonna be close to the stage (ie, front row), and you are using a 1.6 crop body, the 85 will be useless for anything but headshots and even the 50 can be too long for a lot of pics. i got a sigma 30mm just for that purpose, and would like an even wider lens at times.

zacwolf
4th of September 2006 (Mon), 23:48
btw, if you are gonna be close to the stage (ie, front row), and you are using a 1.6 crop body, the 85 will be useless for anything but headshots and even the 50 can be too long for a lot of pics. i got a sigma 30mm just for that purpose, and would like an even wider lens at times.
most of my pictures are at concerts, and im always right up front, most of my pictures are at 18, which is why my 50 1.4 is useless for that purpose, i wish there was a prime 18 2.0 or something of that nature

René Damkot
5th of September 2006 (Tue), 03:54
i wish there was a prime 18 2.0 or something of that nature
Sigma 20mm f/1.8 ?

@Rivercottage: f/2.8 will be minimum IMO for low light. f/2.8 with IS is nice to have, a faster lens like f/1.8 is also nice.

RobKirkwood
5th of September 2006 (Tue), 05:20
These 2 were taken handheld with 20D at ISO 3200 and Tamron 28-75 f2.8 (which I think was wide open most of the time) ...no flash, just the available lighting within the venue. I would expect Proms in the Park to be better lit onstage than this was.

Rob

RiverCottage
5th of September 2006 (Tue), 06:08
they are great shots for a 2.8! and super low noise for that iso also! I think im going to finaly press that confirm order on the sigma 24-70 2.8, good for a general lens and should do the job this weekend also :-)

I had a scarey nightmare about owning a 85mm 1.8 last night, everything was too close and then the shutter button on the camera stopped working!..must be a sign!

River

sadx
5th of September 2006 (Tue), 07:48
hm..how about if i am using 350d with 1600ISO using sigma17-70mm lens without flash can i do the low light shot whitout tripod?

RobKirkwood
5th of September 2006 (Tue), 08:36
they are great shots for a 2.8! and super low noise for that iso also! I think im going to finaly press that confirm order on the sigma 24-70 2.8, good for a general lens and should do the job this weekend also :-)Thanks - there's no noise treatment on these, you can see the 'grain' in some areas of the red/green one. We actually used to have the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 as well - but sold it on because it's heavy, a little soft at f2.8 and has an annoying 2-step process to change from autofocus to manual.

We were only at the gig because our son is the one far left playing guitar (in the hat) ...if we were doing it again today, we'd take the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS (and possibly the 24-105 IS on another camera).

Rob

peterdoomen
5th of September 2006 (Tue), 08:47
See what the nifty fifty can do:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=133041

P.