PDA

View Full Version : UPS delivery late?

gef
20th of September 2006 (Wed), 09:18
I have a question about UPS delivery times. I ordered the Canon 70-300 IS lens on Monday Sept. 18th from B&H. I received an email stating it was shipped on the 19th. According to UPS's website when you ship express the package is guaranteed by end of day Wednesday September 20, 2006. I check the tracking number this morning and I see:

Rescheduled Delivery: 09/21/2006

So if I don't get the package by end of day today, what does UPS do for me given they missed their guaranteed delivery date?

ipacmm
20th of September 2006 (Wed), 09:22
At my house, they miss their guaranteed delivery time a lot, they have from 7am to 7pm to deliver your package and I have had the UPS guy come as late at 9:30 PM....If they miss their time, I haven't gotten anything from them.

Dorman
20th of September 2006 (Wed), 09:24
They probably do absolutely nothing. It may have been rescheduled due to any sort of human error causing delay, a driver sick, a sudden rush-on of deliveries, etc.

The shipped date of the 19th is from B&H, that means it left B&H, depending on the time UPS may have received and processed the package into their facility too late on the 19th to make the delivery for you on wednesday, therefore the 21st in their eyes would be "next business day delivery".

ueb0258
20th of September 2006 (Wed), 09:29
I will tell you they will do nothing. A few years ago when they had the strike I paid a butt load extra to have something shipped airmail two day and got it a week later. When I called and complained they just sorry but we dont give any credit back and that they dont guarantee that you will get the package in the time you paid for. Ever since that day I dont use UPS to ship I use Fedex and USPS.

alpho
20th of September 2006 (Wed), 10:39
I have been following the tracking the UPS shipment of my camera and lens from B&H. I sure cannot figure out the shipping of my package, I thought that the shipment would be direct to Seattle or Vancouver and then shipped to me on Vancouver Island. The location "Richmond BC, CA" is Vancouver international airport (YVR), YVR is the third largest airport in Canada and is the gateway to Asia for air cargo. UPS has a very large facility at YVR so one has to wonder about the routing for my package. I guess that I will get my package today or tomorrow and I can go out and play with my new camera and lens.

Cheers

Package Progress

Date Local Time Description RICHMOND,
BC, CA 09/20/2006 7:16 A.M. IMPORT SCAN 09/20/2006 6:46 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN SEATTLE,
WA, US 09/20/2006 6:02 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN RICHMOND,
BC, CA 09/20/2006 5:07 A.M. REGISTERED WITH CLEARING AGENCY;RELEASED BY CLR AGENCY. NOW IN-TRANSIT SEATTLE,
WA, US 09/20/2006 4:59 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN LOUISVILLE,
KY, US 09/20/2006 3:49 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN RICHMOND,
BC, CA 09/19/2006 10:42 P.M. REGISTERED WITH CLEARING AGENCY;SHIPMENT SUBMITTED TO CLEARING AGENCY FREDERICTON,
NB, CA 09/20/2006 2:33 A.M. SHIPMENT IS HELD TO VERIFY COMMODITY DESCRIPTION WITH THE CUSTOMER FOR CORRECT CLASSIFICATION LOUISVILLE,
KY, US 09/19/2006 11:22 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN NEWARK,
NJ, US 09/19/2006 8:57 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN 09/19/2006 8:24 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN SECAUCUS,
NJ, US 09/19/2006 8:00 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN FREDERICTON,
NB, CA 09/19/2006 4:17 A.M. RECEIVER REQUESTED CLEARANCE BY NON-UPS BROKER. PHILADELPHIA,
PA, US 09/19/2006 12:38 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN MASPETH,
NY, US 09/18/2006 10:35 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN 09/18/2006 9:15 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN US 09/18/2006 5:47 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED
Tracking results provided by UPS: 09/20/2006 11:23 A.M. EST (USA)

http://wwwapps.ups.com/img/1.gif

JNunn
20th of September 2006 (Wed), 11:41
If you paid for 2nd-day air, you should receive it in two business days. If B&H sent it out on time, it should reach you by the end of the day, Wednesday. If overnight, you shoul've received it by Tuesday, end of day (8-9pm). If it doesn't meet the deadline, contact B&H, they are the shipper and they owe you the money back. Only "acts of god", nature, or war (weather, unusual airline depalys, etc.) are not covered by the service guarantee.

I send over 10, 000 packages a year via UPS. The same shipping restraints affect all shippers, FedEx, DHL, USPS, etc. UPS and FedEx have the highest on-time ratio of any shippers. I wouldn't ship anything of value via USPS.

gjl711
20th of September 2006 (Wed), 12:08
I wouldn't ship anything of value via USPS.

I totally agree. I have had several deliveries lost by the USPS, especially within the last two years. We have begun complaining as my neighbors were experiencing similar things and actually had out mail carrier changed. For a bit things got better but soon things went back to the crappy service we had become accustomed to.

As to UPS, I also have had them re-schedule a delivery only to deliver it on the original date anyway. Fedex every once in a while tried to pull of the “tried to deliver” trick but generally is much more reliable than the USPS.

gef
20th of September 2006 (Wed), 14:06
Well they did end up delivering the lens on time... Makes me wonder why they re-scheduled it... Mind you I was still interested in what people had to say when they are late. Only problem now is I have little time to try it out until tomorrow night.... But I have snapped a few photos with it already and I'm very impressed with it!! A quick peek, and it appears to be very sharp, and I like the IS buzzing sound....

I had the Sigma shipped USPS and this Canon shipped UPS to Canada and the next thing I get from B&H will be shipped UPS express! The Sigma was ordered on a Monday morning and took till the following Monday to receive it, the UPS was order Monday and I have it today... SWEET!

Steve Parr
20th of September 2006 (Wed), 16:10
Rescheduled Delivery: 09/21/2006

So if I don't get the package by end of day today, what does UPS do for me given they missed their guaranteed delivery date?

They will do nothing, primarily because you're not their customer. The company that shipped the product is the UPS customer, and will be the entity to which UPS would make any restitution.

It's been my experience (I used to ship overnight packages routinely when in retail) that UPS will credit the cost of overnight shipping back to the dealer if the package isn't delivered in time. The dealer then has an obligation to refund the cost of overnight shipping back to you.

But, the short answer is that, hard as it may be to accept, UPS would owe you nothing...

AirBrontosaurus
20th of September 2006 (Wed), 19:49
If they miss the date (and you call them on it), they will re-emburse the shipper, not the shippee. So, even if you call, complain and win, B&H will get the check, not you. One of the hazards of being a buyer.