PDA

View Full Version : IDIOT!

larann78
4th of October 2006 (Wed), 11:43
Idiot, that's me. I bought a new lens off ebay....great transaction, or so i thought. I bought the Sigma 24-70 F3.5-5.6 for a CANON camera. It comes in the mail yesterday, and of course, I rip the package open! I go to put it on my 20D and what do you think happened???? It didn't fit, it was a nikon (ewww) mount. The seller won't do sh*t of course. My IDIOT question of the day....do they make anything that will go on that lens to make it fit on my canon or am i just out of luck?

cdifoto
4th of October 2006 (Wed), 11:45
You could sell it on fredmiranda.com....or ebay where you got it...

There are adapters but you lose autofocus anyway.

Monkeymicra
4th of October 2006 (Wed), 11:46
did the fleabay ad say it was for a canon camera, if so then he has to take it back unde the salse of good act (uk) as the seller has fradulantly sold and item by giving it the wrong descritpion.

if you bought a ferrari and payed for a ferrari and a ford was delivered you'd be annoyed and would expect your money back. speak to ebay

dputz
4th of October 2006 (Wed), 11:49
Yeah, file a complaint with ebay and leave negative feedback. Return the item and get your moolah back.

cdifoto
4th of October 2006 (Wed), 11:50
Yeah I was under the impression you just didn't read the ad completely Lara...

...but if he left out the info or listed it as being for Canon, you have a leg to stand on via PayPal or eBay's system.

larann78
4th of October 2006 (Wed), 11:54
I looked over the ad and it said "for Nikon with corresponding AF mount to fit Canon"
I ASSumed that meant that it would fit my Canon also....I admit when I mess up:(

shrugs*
4th of October 2006 (Wed), 11:54
If it's through paypal you're pretty much guaranteed a quick refund.

edit: just missed your post. Hmm, that's a damn awkward situation.

cdifoto
4th of October 2006 (Wed), 12:00
I looked over the ad and it said "for Nikon with corresponding AF mount to fit Canon"
I ASSumed that meant that it would fit my Canon also....I admit when I mess up:(

Kind of a tricky ad...keyword spamming at the very least. I'd file a claim with PayPal. Tell them it's a Nikon fit, and there is no such thing as a Nikon AF mount to fit Canon, let alone included as indicated.

mbellot
4th of October 2006 (Wed), 13:16

Sounds like some error (intentional or otherwise) on both parts.

Before getting yourself in a big ebay/paypal debacle why not check out the FM buy/sell forum. Maybe you can turn it over to someone who can really use it.

Only thing is I would test it first (camera store if you don't know anyone with a Nikon), just to be sure you're not unloading a defective lens. And if it IS defective then I'd skip FM and rip the seller a new one.

Photolistic
4th of October 2006 (Wed), 13:17
What was his feedback number and what was the % +?

Photolistic
4th of October 2006 (Wed), 13:18
Was he a powerseller?

Tee Why
4th of October 2006 (Wed), 14:09
You can also buy a adapter to put Nikon lenses on eos mount from ebay of course, but you'd lose AF. If I were you, I'd just chalk it upto a learning experience and sell it and move on.

angryhampster
4th of October 2006 (Wed), 16:38
Sorry to be off topic..But where are you located in Iowa? I'm from Iowa City.

kain821
4th of October 2006 (Wed), 17:03
what is the auction number? did a search and the only one that's closest to your description is this item http://cgi.ebay.com/Sigma-24-70-HF-D-Aspherical-for-Nikon-AF-D80-D70-D200_W0QQitemZ230033434152QQihZ013QQcategoryZ30067 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't see how that's misleading. Often the buyer does not read the ad carefully and blame it on the seller. Coming from a silver powerseller, if he has no intent to deceive, if he stated in the ad that it is for a nikon, and that he listed in the correct category (106859), I don't see why he is at fault.

Of course, I don't know what the actual item number is. Why don't you give us the item number?

condyk
4th of October 2006 (Wed), 17:21
What TW said ... live and learn. Adaptors work fine but cost extra and the results with that lens may not actually be worth it.

cgratti
4th of October 2006 (Wed), 19:22
save yourself the time and trouble and put it on FM and back on ebay...

Seriously, it may take weeks to solve this through paypal, you could have it sold and have a new lens by then.

cjm
4th of October 2006 (Wed), 19:33
save yourself the time and trouble and put it on FM and back on ebay...

Seriously, it may take weeks to solve this through paypal, you could have it sold and have a new lens by then.Fully agreed! I have bought things from eBay that when I got it it was the wrong thing or I simply didn't want it. Rather the wasting all my time with threats and such back and forth between the seller and me I just put it on eBay. Half the time my mistake or the sellers con worked in my favor and I got more for it then what I paid. Once even $50 more!:lol:

Sell it on eBay or FM and life goes on. Especially if you did not email the seller before you bid to ask what mount this lens is. If he said "EF" mount he is at fault but if he did not or you did not ask he really isnt at fault except for the confusing and obvious know nothing about cameras or sigma phrase he used about it fitting a Canon AND Nikon camera.

Tyreman
4th of October 2006 (Wed), 19:35
Make sure it is in good condtion.
list it somewhere.
sell it.
take a loss IF you have to........its a lesson for you to learn.
then move on. forget about it.
except to the extent:
If its too good to be true....it likely is.
stay away.:lol:

TMR Design
4th of October 2006 (Wed), 20:21
Keyword spamming and misrepresentation. File the complaint with ebay and Paypal. See what happens. I have had good and bad experiences with claims filed.

Davidsl222
4th of October 2006 (Wed), 20:26
If it's through paypal you're pretty much guaranteed a quick refund.

That's not true. I've been through a paypal dispute and they did not help me out. (Bought a phone, received it broken, they said it was not different than described even though received and not working...too bad.)

pxl8
5th of October 2006 (Thu), 01:28
I had a similar experience with a TC from ebay, listed under Canon with a picture showing C-AF on the TC when it arrived it was Nikon mount. Seller refused to do anything.

I paid by credit card through paypal and spoke to the bank who told me to return the item to the seller and give them 30 days to refund me. I had to wait the 30 days but I got the refund and I believe paypal also charged the seller a refund fee on top.

mrfourcows
5th of October 2006 (Thu), 06:59
I had a similar experience with a TC from ebay, listed under Canon with a picture showing C-AF on the TC when it arrived it was Nikon mount. Seller refused to do anything.

I paid by credit card through paypal and spoke to the bank who told me to return the item to the seller and give them 30 days to refund me. I had to wait the 30 days but I got the refund and I believe paypal also charged the seller a refund fee on top.

good for paypal!

kain821
5th of October 2006 (Thu), 12:40

paypal did not charge him a refund fee, for the record

the problem with ebay/paypal is that you are often not doing business with a store. When you do charge back, often a person like you and I is hurt. What paypal is doing is, in my opinion, is not very good since it does not allow proper communication between buy/seller and paypal itself.

In your case, sure, you deserveed a refund. However, too often a buyer buy something, can't get it to work or later changed their mind; the buyer then do a complaint or charge back... who is at loss? seller lost time, shipping expense and often, worsen the condition of the item in question.

Keyword spamming and misrepresentation. File the complaint with ebay and Paypal. See what happens. I have had good and bad experiences with claims filed.

wait... you have not seen the auction yet. Why not wait until she post the link before you make that judgement?

larann78
16th of October 2006 (Mon), 11:22
yeah, i am from iowa....got a portrait studio in fairbank!

tdaugharty
16th of October 2006 (Mon), 11:29
Idiot, that's me. I bought a new lens off ebay....great transaction, or so i thought. I bought the Sigma 24-70 F3.5-5.6 for a CANON camera. It comes in the mail yesterday, and of course, I rip the package open! I go to put it on my 20D and what do you think happened???? It didn't fit, it was a nikon (ewww) mount. The seller won't do sh*t of course. My IDIOT question of the day....do they make anything that will go on that lens to make it fit on my canon or am i just out of luck?

Protest the charge on your CC