PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using walgreens.com for printing photo's ?

90blackcrx
2nd of November 2006 (Thu), 16:18
If so how is it ? Might try it out, like the idea that I can do it on my home pc, and go pick them up.

Halliday
2nd of November 2006 (Thu), 16:34
I tried one of their in-store kiosks. The results were terrible. When I showed them to the Lab Dude he said that mine were actually the best one's he'd seen made there :|

90blackcrx
2nd of November 2006 (Thu), 16:37
I tried one of their in-store kiosks. The results were terrible. When I showed them to the Lab Dude he said that mine were actually the best one's he'd seen made there :|

What was bad ?

Halliday
2nd of November 2006 (Thu), 16:43
The color. It was a year or two ago so I don't remember exactly. I think they looked like old-fashioned 'sepia' toned pix. I printed a few as a test and never went back.

90blackcrx
2nd of November 2006 (Thu), 16:49
I'm going to test it out, what else are people using ?

Curtis N
2nd of November 2006 (Thu), 18:32
I've tried at least three different Walgreen's via kiosk, as well as a few other drugstores.

In a word, YUK!

Maybe it's some sort of auto-contrast-boosting computer garbage, but anything dark gray was rendered black. The color wasn't right, either.

mpix.com and a local pro lab now get my print business exclusively.

Scottes
2nd of November 2006 (Thu), 18:39
I've printed generic shots there a few times - not stuff I'd frame, but stuff I give to family & friends. They've been wowed - but that's not saying much around here.

I've never had a color issue, but I'm not a big color-perfect snob. I would go nuts if they gave me sepia though!

I did have a problem once where I printed 8x10s and they gave me 8x12s. But they stretched a couple to fit, and cropped a couple others without regard! Argh! But I just waited while they printed again, and had both "techs" complement the shots - they said they'd never seen such great shots come out of their printer. (No, I don't really think they loved the pics, just the prints looks so good.)

A couple of tips - convert to sRGB and get the colors how you want them, and do not expect that they'll be a perfect match to your monitor. But they should be close enough. Make sure you size them correctly - crop to the correct aspect ratio, like 4x6 for 4x6 prints, and 5x7 crops for 5x7 prints. Make sure they're sized to 300dpi for those dimensions.

Don't expect them to perfectly print just anything you give them - give them exactly the right stuff.

And finally, tell them NO COLOR CORRECTIONS - NO SHARPENING - NO CONTRAST ADJUSTMENTS. Write that on their envelope, on your CD, and on the envelope you put your CD in.

It's just a printer, and if you do the right work and do it correctly the prints will be just fine.

Unless they screw up, so check them before you leave the store. :-)

But, in the end, MPIX will do a better job if you can wait and pay a little extra.

90blackcrx
2nd of November 2006 (Thu), 19:50
And finally, tell them NO COLOR CORRECTIONS - NO SHARPENING - NO CONTRAST ADJUSTMENTS. Write that on their envelope, on your CD, and on the envelope you put your CD in.

Well I was doing it over the net, so I will see if I can write a note in.

I'll check out mpix.com, I have a few photos though that I'm just sending out to friends, and not going to put them on a wall.

strmrdr
2nd of November 2006 (Thu), 20:59
I use york for snapshots.
There 4x6s are as good as anyone's.
The 5x7s are very good
The 8x10s have been about 80%/20% good to very good/bad to awful.
With the 8x10s people shots come out ok but complicated landscapes get mangled.
Due to the price im going to continue to use them for 4x6s and 5x7s but am getting 8x10s and larger done elsewhere.

http://www.yorkphoto.com/

Hellashot
2nd of November 2006 (Thu), 21:46
The color. It was a year or two ago so I don't remember exactly. I think they looked like old-fashioned 'sepia' toned pix. I printed a few as a test and never went back.

It all comes down to color management. Color and brightness of your monitor will be different than someone else's monitor. My monitor is not calibrated and when I print at Walmart Fuji stations the color is off. But I use the Kodak kiosk that has "auto enhancement" that will correct this issue and fix the WB to its settings that will print well.

Also if you are printing large image size pictures as 4x6 it could be coming out "soft" because of how the printer is resizing your images to their print DPI. It's best to resize your images to 300dpi at 4x6 and then re-sharpen your images with USM because reszing images makes them soft.

JaertX
2nd of November 2006 (Thu), 21:52
I think most Walgreens use those Kodak kiosks and their one-hour stuff is done on Fuji Frontiers. The results can be okay, but it depends on how well the machine is maintained. Not worth the trouble if you ask me. These online labs like Mpix deliver a much better product right to your front door.

90blackcrx
2nd of November 2006 (Thu), 23:19
Also if you are printing large image size pictures as 4x6 it could be coming out "soft" because of how the printer is resizing your images to their print DPI. It's best to resize your images to 300dpi at 4x6 and then re-sharpen your images with USM because reszing images makes them soft.

What about for bigger sizes ?

liza
2nd of November 2006 (Thu), 23:46
Walgreens sucks. I printed a snapshot there and the same one at Sam's Club for comparison. The Walgreen's print was very washed out. You should consider Mpix. Their prints are lovely. And cheap, too. :)

90blackcrx
3rd of November 2006 (Fri), 01:41
I'm going to use Mpix, should I

Let them, Color Correction the photo though ?

And does anyone have pics of the metallic finish and matte ?

rcheliflyer
3rd of November 2006 (Fri), 02:04
I really like the service and pic quality I get from my Walgreens,
most of my stuff is just for fun and friends.
I use online ordering and pick up later, they are a great value considering price, quality ,service and convienience.
Especially general snapshots 4x6 are inexpensive and are ready to pick up
in a short time .
My local Walmart is not as good in my opinion.
I don't use the self serve machines, I order all mine online , enlargements to 8x10 have been very satisfactory.
It's best to try a few different places to process your pics, you'll find one that fits your needs, unless I really need something special I'll stick to my local stores.

Curtis N
3rd of November 2006 (Fri), 09:09
I'm going to use Mpix, should I Let them, Color Correction the photo though ?Do you trust someone else's computer algorithms to do your job better than you can?

I always do my best to get the colors the way I want them before uploading to any print lab, then ask the lab for no adjustments. That way if they turn out crappy, there is only one person to blame, and it becomes a learning experience.

Scottes
3rd of November 2006 (Fri), 09:22
I always do my best to get the colors the way I want them before uploading to any print lab, then ask the lab for no adjustments. That way if they turn out crappy, there is only one person to blame, and it becomes a learning experience.
Amen.

cking2
3rd of November 2006 (Fri), 09:24
I think most Walgreens use those Kodak kiosks and their one-hour stuff is done on Fuji Frontiers. The results can be okay, but it depends on how well the machine is maintained. Not worth the trouble if you ask me. These online labs like Mpix deliver a much better product right to your front door.

I don't know... results are subjective and can vary widely from Walgreens to Walgreens (mine has a 590). I just had MPIX do a large number of prints for a football homecoming, and Walgreens did the fill in stuff I missed in one hour. While the MPIX stuff was OK...the Walgreens prints were stunning.

To be fair I am going to run a test with the same Print at Walgreens, MPIX, Mckenna, Costco and Sams (Which also has a frontier). I won't use my local Walmart for fill in because their print quaility is very poor.

For the OP...I would just find the Lab that you like and produces the most consistant results and stick with it.

Scottes
3rd of November 2006 (Fri), 12:24
For the OP...I would just find the Lab that you like and produces the most consistant results and stick with it.
Amen.

I think this is a huge point. Early on I printed at Ritz, and the one in Nashua was great but the one in the Burlington Mall sucked. I won't print at the Walgreens uptown, but like the one in Bedford. Both CVSes suck, and the local Brooks is great.

In all these cases I think the main factors are use, abuse, and upkeep. Places like MPix and the local photo store will most likely be well-maintained. And since it's there business, they care. Places like CVS/Walgreens/Costco have many employees running the stuff, so a slip in quality may be missed. Especially if the young punk on night shift wished he were somewhere else.

liza
3rd of November 2006 (Fri), 18:26
I'm going to use Mpix, should I

Let them, Color Correction the photo though ?

And does anyone have pics of the metallic finish and matte ?

No, don't let them color correct.

And I don't have an example of the metallic uploaded, but I can tell you it isn't for every type of image. I tried it on several different images and found that it looked wonderful on sports images and butterfly/floral macros. It wasn't so hot on portraits, though. I believe Mpix has a disclaimer on their site saying not to use it on portrait shots. As for the regular matte, the quality is wonderful. I was very pleased with it. Mpix is extremely prompt, their prices are competitive, and their service is excellent. I'll never use WalMart, Walgreens, or Sam's Club again.

90blackcrx
3rd of November 2006 (Fri), 19:01
So whats a good dpi ?

Scottes
3rd of November 2006 (Fri), 19:27
300 dpi, unless they say otherwise. If they don't say, then 300 dpi. It seems to be more or less standard with these "generic" printers. That is, not the "pro" printers.

newfly5
3rd of November 2006 (Fri), 23:41
I hate walgreens, they made my 6 year old like like a full time tanner. Mpix has been great to me they color correct when I miss it but most the time it looks the same. And super fast 2 day turnaround

PhotosGuy
4th of November 2006 (Sat), 08:44
Costco & Sam's Club Digital Prints (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=123887)
Post #10 & #18.

dosha
5th of November 2006 (Sun), 21:36
Another vote for Mpix here, wouldn't use anyone else.

carsanbballs
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 10:33
Used Walgreens a couple of times for proofs and was not pleased.
I use printroom.com for online orders and Costco for direct (on site cash) sales.

90blackcrx
4th of December 2006 (Mon), 19:23
Whats Srgb ?

Scottes
4th of December 2006 (Mon), 19:27
A color space - a standard description of how colors are displayed or printed, I guess.

Do you use Photoshop? If so, you'll want to make sure you convert to sRGB. Click on Edit... Convert To Profile... and make sure Destination Space says sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

If you don't use Photoshop, then what do you use?

90blackcrx
4th of December 2006 (Mon), 19:29
I use photoshop but I also use the Digital canon pro software. In this other thread, I was told not to mess with dpi, is this true at all ? If I can do it all in Canon software I would like that. And I could not find the convert to in photoshop, its not under edit.

I asked mpix if I should resize or set the dpi or ppi and received this, seems like a general reply.

File Sizes: There are several approaches you can take when sizing your files for print. One is not necessarily better than another. Much depends on your particular workflow. The approach you take should be the simplest and most effective for your operation. The simplest method is to crop the file for the subject composition and leave the file's resolution unchanged. This method crops your file without changing the resolution of the file, saving you time and preserving the original pixels. This can be done with either the selection tool or the cropping tool. In the case of the cropping tool, enter the width and height dimensions; however, leave the image resolution area blank. This will remove the unwanted pixels from the image without altering the file resolution (dpi). Our printing equipment will resize the files as needed when they are printed.

Like sharpening an image, re-sampling and interpolation is very much dependent upon the particular printer being used and the print size being created. Interpolating an image without knowing the specific characteristics of a printer can be counterproductive. Re-sampling and interpolating images take time, time that is better spent on the creative aspects of your photography. It is not an effective use of your time to resample images to higher resolutions than the original camera files. This interpolation will take place on our end, at a higher quality and much quicker than it will on your end using your computer. This saves you time creating the image files and saves you space and time when saving the images to hard drive and CD.

Please keep in mind that even the highest resolution professional cameras have file sizes that are limited to under 50MB. Interpolating images to resolutions higher than the original camera image is time wasted. Not only is it wasting your valuable time and storage space but also you may actually be compromising the image quality. Think of the camera image as your negative. Would you ever consider cutting or reshaping a negative or slide? The pixels that were captured when the shutter was clicked are the best pixels (image) to print. Each time you interpolate, resample or sharpen you are introducing artifacts into the image. Each of these functions is best left to the printing device itself.

Thank you!

90blackcrx
4th of December 2006 (Mon), 19:43
So basically, dpi, and ppi what should I set them to. When I click in image under photoshop, the pixels per inch ( ppi right ? ) is 350, what should it be ?

And how come the canon program does not have the choice for ppi ?

lostdoggy
4th of December 2006 (Mon), 20:04
I don't know if anybody pointed you to this site yet:

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/

You can pre-profile your image to match it to the lab's machine from this site.

This site has a lot of good info that you might find interesting and it addresses many of your questions.

90blackcrx
4th of December 2006 (Mon), 20:10
I don't know if anybody pointed you to this site yet:

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/

You can pre-profile your image to match it to the lab's machine from this site.

This site has a lot of good info that you might find interesting and it addresses many of your questions.

Thanks, but my store was not on there. But I don't think this should be this hard, I'm making it harder then it should be.

So lets start all over. I use Digital Photo Pro, I convert and save to 6x4 , now here is where I get lost. Should I touch the dpi ? Yes or No

Then should I open it with photoshop and adjust the PPI , Yes or NO. ( when ever I go to image size under photoshop, the PPI is always 350 )

Scottes
4th of December 2006 (Mon), 20:41
If you want the easy answer - and you do at this point - just save it to 6x4 and leave it alone. MPix will do a very fine job making the print.

A week after you get the prints, take some of your favorites, and inspect them with a critical eye. Do you think they could be printed better? If so, why?

Then post an example photo, tell us what you think was wrong with the print, and we'll help you along and guide you to making it better - IF we think it can be done better.

There are many many big fat books out there, all about Photoshop and color and sharpening and printing and all sorts of stuff. Any one of those topics can take a while to learn, and years to master. You can't learn it all at once.

And the fact is, if you're happy with the prints, then you don't have to do things any differently. You may want to, but you don't have to.

90blackcrx
4th of December 2006 (Mon), 20:54
Sounds good but I was told to do a few things so mpix or walgreens gets it right, one thing was resizing the image. I also just read that if you select no color correction and you don't like it, you can't get reprints.

So whats the basic stuff to do before I order ? Should I resize ? Is cropping better, but what if I don't want to loose any of the pic ?

I'm going to run out, I will check back when I get home. But I still need to know if I should resize the image down to 4x6 or 8x10 or so on. Or should I just leave the pic the way it comes out of my camera ?

Scottes
4th of December 2006 (Mon), 21:09
OK, here's a quick tutorial that will help you get the size right, and includes info on cropping so you just get the good stuff:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34567

If you don't want to crop anything, in Photoshop go to Image... Image Size... Make sure that Resample Image is checked, and set to Bicubic. For the width and height set them to the proper dimensions (see below). Ignore the Resolution - trust me. MPix will get it right. And they'll produce the same exact print thing no matter what you set this to.

Always send them pictures at 300 dpi times the size you want. That is, for a 4x6, you want to give them a 1200 x 1800 picture. For a 5x7, make it 1500 x 2100.

Always convert to sRGB, using Photoshop, per the instructions I gave earlier. If you find that the first picture you try to convert is already in sRGB then you don't need to bother even trying the rest. (Very most likely.)

You could be right about not getting reprints if you select No Color Correction. But if the prints come out bad then you can be assured that it's something YOU did, not them.

Which means that you can blame me for not making these instructions clearer.... :wink:

lostdoggy
4th of December 2006 (Mon), 21:10
Just try a sample batch some untouch and some modified. So, it cost a couple of dollars and few minutes of your time, but at least you know how it is before sending in a couple of hundred of image to be printed and not liking it.

I personally use winkflash and they allow you to preview the image before finalizing the order. The preview will show the image size relative to the media and will there be cropping or blank white borders. Most labs will over shoot rather then undershoot when it comes to white borders. Meaning it'll try to cover all of the media rather then allow it to leave a border. Sometime they will even do it even if there is no border.

90blackcrx
4th of December 2006 (Mon), 21:15
That is, for a 4x6, you want to give them a 1200 x 1800 picture. For a 5x7, make it 1500 x 2100.

See when I do this in photoshop, set the pics to 4x6, the pixels up above say 2100, 1400 but the ppi is 350, so maybe thats why ?

( edited ) I changed it to 300 ppi and now got 1800 1200

Also the sRGB is not under edit, atleast I could not find it. But I'm sure that the pics already in that format.

lostdoggy but what if they all look the same :), no seriously lol.

Scottes
4th of December 2006 (Mon), 21:17
No, set the pics to 1200x1800 - which is 4x300 and 6x300 - and ignore the Resolution. It does not matter here, in this scenario.

In CS2 it's Edit... Convert To Profile.... and THEN choose sRGB.
Or do you have CS? For CS, I think it's under Image... Convert To Profile.

90blackcrx
4th of December 2006 (Mon), 21:23
No, set the pics to 1200x1800 - which is 4x300 and 6x300 - and ignore the Resolution. It does not matter here, in this scenario.

Set the pixel dimension or the document size ? If I change the pixel demsion to 1200x1800 my document size it not 4x6 , its 5.143 x 3.429 and ppi is 350.

lostdoggy
4th of December 2006 (Mon), 21:25
Then it have answer your dilemma. You don't have to do anything. Just send it in as is.

90blackcrx
4th of December 2006 (Mon), 21:26
Set the pixel dimension or the document size ? If I change the pixel demsion to 1200x1800 my document size it not 4x6 , its 5.143 x 3.429 and ppi is 350.

Does that even matter which one I set

lostdoggy
4th of December 2006 (Mon), 21:30
I think you're getting really confuse here. the 1800X1200 relative to 300ppi
At 350ppi it should be 2100X1400 for a 4X6 print.

Scottes
4th of December 2006 (Mon), 21:31
Set the Pixel Dimensions Width to 1800 and the Height to 1200 - or vice versa if the photo is Portrait mode. Sorry, i always forget that there are 2 boxes that say Height and Width.

Ignore whatever the resolution box says. Mpix or Walgreens will print you a 4x6 no matter what the Resolution or PPI is set to.

If you must do it completely correct, set the Resolution to 300, and THEN set the Document Size Height and Width to 1200 and 1800.

If you set the Resolution then you must use the Document Size boxes. If you ignore the Resolution then you must use the Pixel Dimensions boxes.

http://www.itsanadventure.com/postimages/ImageSizeBox.jpg

Sorry about the confusion.

90blackcrx
5th of December 2006 (Tue), 00:51
No problem, but let me state this. If I set the pixel size to the correct size, and the ppi is set to 350, the document size will not be 4x6 .

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/90blackcrx/siz.jpg

Scottes
5th of December 2006 (Tue), 05:23
Yes, in Photoshop's view it will not be the right size. But MPix and Walgreen's are going to ignore that Resolution, and will print a 4x6.

Guineh
5th of December 2006 (Tue), 09:56
I don't know... results are subjective and can vary widely from Walgreens to Walgreens (mine has a 590). I just had MPIX do a large number of prints for a football homecoming, and Walgreens did the fill in stuff I missed in one hour. While the MPIX stuff was OK...the Walgreens prints were stunning.

To be fair I am going to run a test with the same Print at Walgreens, MPIX, Mckenna, Costco and Sams (Which also has a frontier). I won't use my local Walmart for fill in because their print quaility is very poor.

Not only that, but with Walgreens (Local Store) prints, it can vary from operator to operator!

I'm going out on a limb and trying MPIX with no color correction, just to see what I get. I received their ICC profiles within 5 min. of e-mailing my request, and from what I can see they looked OK in photoshop using those profiles for proofing, hopefully that carries over to the actual print.

I'm just hoping that with my monitor set to D65 whitepoint they don't come back looking overly cool. (Photoshop compensates for whitepoint, though, right?)

90blackcrx
5th of December 2006 (Tue), 13:18
So since mpix told me not to resize, I won't and see how it turns out. If its bad, I'll go from there.

One question though, I know DPP does not take PPI into consideration, or what ever you would like to call it, but I don't see how this makes sense. I mean, when I upload the pics from my rebel there is not a set PPI on them ?

If I resize the pic in DPP to 4x6 , is this the same as resizing them in photoshop or is it different because photoshop offers a PPi setting ?

90blackcrx
5th of December 2006 (Tue), 16:59
So since mpix told me not to resize, I won't and see how it turns out. If its bad, I'll go from there.

One question though, I know DPP does not take PPI into consideration, or what ever you would like to call it, but I don't see how this makes sense. I mean, when I upload the pics from my rebel there is not a set PPI on them ?

If I resize the pic in DPP to 4x6 , is this the same as resizing them in photoshop or is it different because photoshop offers a PPi setting ?

I found this
Following is a table that shows the PPI for various page sizes for a 5 megapixel camera.
page size 4X6 - 456 PPI
page size 5X7 - 377 PPI
page size 8X10 - 250 PPI
page size 11X14 - 180 PPI
page size 16X20 - 125 PPI
page size 20X30 - 91 PPI

So thats 5mp, what about 8mp ?

Sorry guys , just trying to learn

Scottes
5th of December 2006 (Tue), 18:28
PPI is meaningless when printing to places like MPix or Walgreens. If you tell them to print a 4x6 they will do so regardless of the PPI setting.

90blackcrx
5th of December 2006 (Tue), 18:29
PPI is meaningless when printing to places like MPix or Walgreens. If you tell them to print a 4x6 they will do so regardless of the PPI setting.

What is the PPI is set at like 20 :D , thats not possible on pics with out noticing right ?

E-K
5th of December 2006 (Tue), 21:01
I found this
Following is a table that shows the PPI for various page sizes for a 5 megapixel camera.
page size 4X6 - 456 PPI
page size 5X7 - 377 PPI
page size 8X10 - 250 PPI
page size 11X14 - 180 PPI
page size 16X20 - 125 PPI
page size 20X30 - 91 PPI

So thats 5mp, what about 8mp ?

Sorry guys , just trying to learn

You can work it out yourself.

Your XT is 8MP and it's image is 3456x2304 pixels:

So for 4x6: 2304 pixels / 4" = 576 PPI
For a 5x7: 2304 pixels / 5" = 460.8 PPI
For an 11x14: 2304 pixels / 11" = 209.5 PPI
etc...

e-k

Gordeez
6th of December 2006 (Wed), 01:14
I get my 4x6's printed at the local Walgreens.
Reasons being, Its closer, faster, cheap and im they do a good job.
I get 50 4x6's for $9.50. I dont let them do anything to my pics though.
So far, I havent had one bad Picture come back from walgreens.

Scottes
6th of December 2006 (Wed), 05:10
What is the PPI is set at like 20 :D , thats not possible on pics with out noticing right ?
It doesn't matter. If the pic is 800 pixels wide, then the Web will display all 800 pixels and it will be as wide as your monitor display 800 pixels. If you print that photo at MPix to a 4x6 then Mpix will ignore the PPI and print it at 4x6.

Guineh
6th of December 2006 (Wed), 07:28

The only way PPI makes sense is if you resample to that PPI. So a 3406x2304 image becomes 120x80 (assuming image dimensions of 4x6). Of course, what would you expect out of a 120x80 image sent to print. Th result would not be pleasing.

Its best to ignore the PPI altogether and just send the picture with sufficient resolution. Which for a 4x6 would be about 1800x1200 for absolute maximum quality.

PhotosGuy
6th of December 2006 (Wed), 08:19
I get my 4x6's printed at the local Walgreens... So far, I havent had one bad Picture come back from walgreens. Since it's close, try this. Get a 4X6 made. Do another of the same file an hour later. Do one the next day. Then compare them. I'd be very surprised if they are all the same color.

Scottes
6th of December 2006 (Wed), 09:17
Actually I'd wait a week or two between them, to make sure that they change the chemicals. From what I saw one day I didn't get the impression that every flunky at Walgreens knows how to change the chemicals.

But that would be an interesting test.... The other question being, are all of them acceptable?

Oh, and this would be very dependent on whether you said "No Color Corrections" or not - something I always do, no matter where I print. If you leave it up to the machine and/or operator I'd guarantee that they would change.

Guineh
6th of December 2006 (Wed), 09:45
Oh, and this would be very dependent on whether you said "No Color Corrections" or not - something I always do, no matter where I print. If you leave it up to the machine and/or operator I'd guarantee that they would change.

Which is likely why I've seen so much variance from operator to operator. I'm wondering, how do you inform the operator at Walgreens to not correct color? I could tell the clerk, but I know how likely it will be that they'll pass that along (Unless they are the operator)

PhotosGuy
6th of December 2006 (Wed), 10:45
But that would be an interesting test.... The other question being, are all of them acceptable? Not to me. Even 1 hour made a big difference. I'm wondering, how do you inform the operator at Walgreens to not correct color? Good luck with that? ;)

90blackcrx
6th of December 2006 (Wed), 12:58
Ok, but if I ever have to resize a picture in adobe photoshop and the PPi box pops up, what should it be set at always ? 300 , 350 ? What if I resize to bigger then 4x6, still 300, or 350 ?

PhotosGuy
6th of December 2006 (Wed), 13:08
Depends on what your printer recommends? Ask.
Costco likes 300, but 360 (I think) will crash the computer.

90blackcrx
6th of December 2006 (Wed), 19:30
Depends on what your printer recommends? Ask.
Costco likes 300, but 360 (I think) will crash the computer.

So I mean does the PPI stay the same, even when the picture increases ?

lostdoggy
6th of December 2006 (Wed), 19:46
Maybe this will help. Have you ever seen these balls that is very small about the size of a volley ball. But if you pull it apart it will expand to a ball as tall as you. Well the PPI in an image is the same. if you increase the PPI the image will become smaller in dimension, but if you decrease the ppi then image will become larger. But like the ball the holes will get larger and larger as it expands. The same will happen if you blowup the picture bigger and bigger. Now it realy does not matter when you are printing 4X6 or even 8X10. The grain will become more visible when the ppi is below 200ppi at a relatively close viewing distant.

Scottes
6th of December 2006 (Wed), 21:03
I'm wondering, how do you inform the operator at Walgreens to not correct color? I could tell the clerk, but I know how likely it will be that they'll pass that along (Unless they are the operator)
I write it on the CD, the CD envelope, and the "film" envelope somewhere.

All in big, bold markers.

I have to admit that when I print at Walgreens I do not really care about color accuracy. Such prints are for friends and family and such. It's not like I'm going to frame them, or display them really. I the prints look good then they're good enough for such a job.

Photos that I really care about go to West Coast Imaging. Photos that I moderately care about go to MPix. Photos that I want NOW and CHEAP go to Walgreens.

Scottes
6th of December 2006 (Wed), 21:05
But that would be an interesting test.... The other question being, are all of them acceptable?

Not to me. Even 1 hour made a big difference.
Neither were acceptable? If so, why did you get the second batch done? :wink:

PhotosGuy
6th of December 2006 (Wed), 21:59
I did the 2nd one because I'd forgotten that I needed two of that one. Side by side, the color change between them was very noticable.
Went back the next week to compare to see what might have changed then. Ans: both color & density. FYI, I haven't been back since.

wareseeker
6th of December 2006 (Wed), 22:23
No more Walmart, Target, Walgreen for me. Try Shutterfly.com or Mpix.com to see the difference. I love to do my printing at Shutterly.com and I did print 20x30 at shutterfly.com, the result was great.

Guineh
7th of December 2006 (Thu), 07:26
I write it on the CD, the CD envelope, and the "film" envelope somewhere.

All in big, bold markers.

I have to admit that when I print at Walgreens I do not really care about color accuracy. Such prints are for friends and family and such. It's not like I'm going to frame them, or display them really. I the prints look good then they're good enough for such a job.

Photos that I really care about go to West Coast Imaging. Photos that I moderately care about go to MPix. Photos that I want NOW and CHEAP go to Walgreens.

Ah! But when I go to Walgreens, I use their kiosk things w/a flash card or USB memory stick. No where to mark, It prints a claim check and tells you the photos will be available shortly.

Not sure about West Coast Imaging, but one of the things that may be a plus for MPIX is their papers are archival. I'm sure West Coast Imaging does the same (or better). Walgreens makes no claim, so family pics printed at walgreens may be faded in a few years.

FWIW, after some comparison, my Canon printer seems to do a superior job to Walgreens, but ink and paper can get expensive,and can be a real PITA when you have a large batch of pictures to print. Babysitting a printer and swapping ink cartridges isn't my idea of a fun day.

Scottes
7th of December 2006 (Thu), 08:08
Ah! But when I go to Walgreens, I use their kiosk things w/a flash card or USB memory stick. No where to mark...
Which is why I don't use the kiosk.... To me, you might as well give the kiosk your money and walk away. You're taking a chance with the operator, but you immediately lose when you use the kiosk.

Walgreens makes no claim, so family pics printed at walgreens may be faded in a few years.
I don't use Walgreens when I need to worry about such things. As I said, I share Walgreens prints with friends & family. I highly doubt that they care if the prints last more than a year.

FWIW, after some comparison, my Canon printer seems to do a superior job to Walgreens, but ink and paper can get expensive,and can be a real PITA when you have a large batch of pictures to print. Babysitting a printer and swapping ink cartridges isn't my idea of a fun day.
Nor is getting a streak from a dirty head on an 8x10. In the end I think good home printing is more expensive that MPix. And then consider the time involved - which I do at a very high billing rate. All this is why I don't print at home. When I can afford my own personal LightJet I may reconsider. :-)

90blackcrx
8th of December 2006 (Fri), 00:49
Maybe this will help. Have you ever seen these balls that is very small about the size of a volley ball. But if you pull it apart it will expand to a ball as tall as you. Well the PPI in an image is the same. if you increase the PPI the image will become smaller in dimension, but if you decrease the ppi then image will become larger. But like the ball the holes will get larger and larger as it expands. The same will happen if you blowup the picture bigger and bigger. Now it realy does not matter when you are printing 4X6 or even 8X10. The grain will become more visible when the ppi is below 200ppi at a relatively close viewing distant.

Great info, but like when using photoshop, I can make the image 12x12 and the PPi will stay the same , would it be ideal to up the PPi then ? Or is 350 or 300 the set number when doing small pics. 12x12 and smaller.

lostdoggy
8th of December 2006 (Fri), 00:53
Unless you resample or upres it doesn't matter what ppi is as long as the its 240 or better for the given size you plan to print.

lostdoggy
8th of December 2006 (Fri), 00:59
There is another reason not to use the Kiosk. When images are uploaded via kiosk the machine auotmaticly compress the file to shorten the transmission time to the printer whether you lke it or not. I use winkflash they do not do ay adjustment so there is no need to tell them not to. They use Fuji paper. N tax and shipping is $0.99 no matter how many prints I order.

tonycortes
8th of December 2006 (Fri), 12:25
There is another reason not to use the Kiosk. When images are uploaded via kiosk the machine auotmaticly compress the file to shorten the transmission time to the printer whether you lke it or not. I use winkflash they do not do ay adjustment so there is no need to tell them not to. They use Fuji paper. N tax and shipping is $0.99 no matter how many prints I order.
Winkflash is great! I use it and the prices and shipping is great. They print my 300 5x7 prints in 24hrs hehe, but I get a feeling the prints are not a bit sharper or lack a little contrast.

liza
8th of December 2006 (Fri), 12:56

I use Winkflash for posters and have been very pleased with them.

90blackcrx
8th of December 2006 (Fri), 19:20
What is Kiosk and winkflash ?

liza
9th of December 2006 (Sat), 18:10
A kiosk is the photomachine at a discount store where one has images printed. Winkflash is www.winkflash.com, an online photolab.

Guineh
11th of December 2006 (Mon), 07:36
BTW, I got the pictures back from MPIX. I'll be using them from now on, unless I want pictures now!. Superior quality! No color correcting is also the best option for me, I compared the photos with the Walgreens pix, and I can see color casts in the Walgreens prints. (I've had several photos that seemed to come out in unintended ways from Walgreens, now I have it confirmed, but on a much more subtle level)

The metallic prints I'm still not 100% sure about, though. They're interesting to look at, but seem a bit odd. They also tend to exhibit a bit of bronzing. I think I'll stick with the standard matte endura paper.

dexta
29th of December 2006 (Fri), 23:27
Just thought I would chime in since I'm a lab manager at Walgreen's, lol..

When you send an image to the store via internet or kiosk, it goes to whats called our photo image controller before it gets to the printer. inside this controller there is some stupid option called "image intelligence" and it makes most prints come out worse or just not the same way they were taken. I leave this turned off at my store, and 3/4 of my techs don't even know about the feature. That would probably explain a lot of the issues a lot of you are having with the colors etc. With this setup on my machine at work, the prints come out great. Another thing you have to take into consideration, and this happens A LOT.. is if the paper has been setup correctly in the machine. Each time the tech loads a new roll of paper, they should test it and get the density back to normal. If this is not done, black and white prints will have either a red or a green hue to them, which makes the image look like junk. This, in combination with the image intelligence feature earlier mentioned can really ruin a great photo.

Epluim
29th of December 2006 (Fri), 23:37
A friend of mine had some wallet sizes printed there. they were all the same picture (for christmas cards) but they were all cropped a little differently for some reason. Some of them were pretty bad. I go to walmart a lot and use their print lab. they're not perfect, but the people there are cool and they'll reprint without a problem. Plus it usually doesn't take and hour and there are no other printing places within 45 minutes of my home.

90blackcrx
30th of December 2006 (Sat), 16:23
BTW, I got the pictures back from MPIX. I'll be using them from now on, unless I want pictures now!. Superior quality! No color correcting is also the best option for me, I compared the photos with the Walgreens pix, and I can see color casts in the Walgreens prints. (I've had several photos that seemed to come out in unintended ways from Walgreens, now I have it confirmed, but on a much more subtle level)

The metallic prints I'm still not 100% sure about, though. They're interesting to look at, but seem a bit odd. They also tend to exhibit a bit of bronzing. I think I'll stick with the standard matte endura paper.

Did you like the normal paper used ? I noticed it was not glossy.

PhotosGuy
2nd of January 2007 (Tue), 22:48
Just thought I would chime in since I'm a lab manager at Walgreen's, Thanks for that info, Chris. It sounds as if a tiny bit more training would make a big difference, but I suspect that the managers doing the training are more interested in quick output vs quality that most people won't appreciate.

dexta
3rd of January 2007 (Wed), 01:21
Thanks for that info, Chris. It sounds as if a tiny bit more training would make a big difference, but I suspect that the managers doing the training are more interested in quick output vs quality that most people won't appreciate.

You got that right pretty much. From my experence in my lab, the managers that are in charge of the store really could care less about the quality as long as they don't get customer complaints, they are happy. Gross Profit is the key phrase for them :)

But yeah, like you said a little more training would go such a long way. I have my staff behind me 100% in my lab, and it shows with the ammount of processing and compliments we do and get. Im also a disctrict trainer for the new managers and photo techs so hopfully others in san antonio atleast will start catching on sooner or later :)

.. Another thing thats pretty sad, is that most managers don't train at all. They let the other photo techs train the new ones.. that is just a bad situation if the training tech doesn't care and is just there for the paycheck.

Guineh
3rd of January 2007 (Wed), 13:03
Did you like the normal paper used ? I noticed it was not glossy.

Yes, but I prefer matte over glossy.

kdw75
24th of March 2011 (Thu), 22:53
Tonight I tried the kiosk at our Walgreens for the first time. I got some 4x6 prints to give to some relatives and I have to say that I was really impressed with both the IQ and the color. Are the kiosks dye sub?

PhotosGuy
25th of March 2011 (Fri), 08:44
Tonight I tried the kiosk at our Walgreens for the first time. I got some 4x6 prints to give to some relatives and I have to say that I was really impressed with both the IQ and the color. Are the kiosks dye sub? Go back & reprint one of them. Then compare it to the same one from last night. Maybe you found a good one.

1319Photo
25th of March 2011 (Fri), 09:01
My only gripe with Walgreen's, was they stopped printing my pictures saying I was stealing them off of the internet or I was stealing someone-else's copyrighted work.