PDA

View Full Version : Canon EF 80-200mm f/2.8L - Magic Drainpipe

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

GlennSter
5th of November 2006 (Sun), 23:08
got a very good condition magic drainpipe. i got to test it last friday in toronto Zoo..it was chilly (around 3deg but felt like -2 degrees Celsius because of terrible windchill). i was too excited to try it out even if my hands were numb the whole time :lol:

shot at 200mm, f4.minor color correction applied. no sharpening. hand-held.exceeds my expectations. no USM? it's not silent, but definitely not noisy. AF speed slow? slower than my 24-70L, but not slow.

backlit...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/GlennSter/misc/lionking2.jpg

through the fence...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/GlennSter/misc/tiger110406.jpg

C&C and image editing welcome.

anybody have any other photos taken with this fantastic lens?

PLEASE POST YOUR PHOTOS WITH THIS LENS. THANKS!!!

sonnyc
5th of November 2006 (Sun), 23:33
They look very good, the color is fantastic. How heavy is it?

I see this lens on the B&S forum once in a while but never thought about it when I was looking for a 2.8 in this range. hmmm

GlennSter
5th of November 2006 (Sun), 23:37
They look very good, the color is fantastic. How heavy is it?

I see this lens on the B&S forum once in a while but never thought about it when I was looking for a 2.8 in this range. hmmm

i was also watching this lens bought and sold...then finally succomb to the temptation after weeks of deliberating with my bank account :rolleyes:

damn it's heavy!!! :lol::lol:

if im not mistaken..it's 1.3kg..

but my hands enjoy heavy lenses. my neck doesn't (i need to order that POTN neck strap).

Carzee
5th of November 2006 (Sun), 23:37
The Lion shot's light/colour is beautiful. Nice buying.

JaGWiRE
5th of November 2006 (Sun), 23:39
For some reason, whenever I hear the name of this lens (or nickname) magic drainpipe, I think of somebody smoking some marijuana through a pipe, haha.

GlennSter
5th of November 2006 (Sun), 23:41
For some reason, whenever I hear the name of this lens (or nickname) magic drainpipe, I think of somebody smoking some marijuana through a pipe, haha.

same here..i was tempted to live up to your imagination..........maybe not now.:lol:

Tsmith
5th of November 2006 (Sun), 23:42
You said "image editing welcome" ... I always admired this lens and looks as if you scored a good copy. My technique: Sharpened - adjusted White Balance - tad Contrast - tweaked Hue & Saturation

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7695/tiger110406copyab2.jpg

GlennSter
5th of November 2006 (Sun), 23:44
bluedog...thank you very much...it's so much better!!!

can i keep it as mine?

Tsmith
5th of November 2006 (Sun), 23:45
bluedog...thank you very much...it's so much better!!!

can i keep it as mine?

Its 100% yours and your welcome ... ;)

ChrisBlaze
5th of November 2006 (Sun), 23:55
who makes this lens?

Tsmith
5th of November 2006 (Sun), 23:57
who makes this lens?

Its an out of production Canon L series.

JaGWiRE
5th of November 2006 (Sun), 23:58
who makes this lens?
Canon. It came out before the 70-200 2.8L.

I actually wouldn't had minded this lens, but I was scared about getting a bad copy or a copy that has flaws (scratches, focus problems, etc) because of it's age. Does Canon still service these? I believe it doesn't have USM, right? Does it focus silently?

I saw someone selling this lens in Canada for $750, but I wanted the light weight of the F4 version. I would had considered it stronger if somebody was selling a mint copy, this guys had some scratches from what I remember.

Woolburr
5th of November 2006 (Sun), 23:58
who makes this lens?

Canon....it is an older model L series lens.

GlennSter
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 00:03
Canon. It came out before the 70-200 2.8L.

I actually wouldn't had minded this lens, but I was scared about getting a bad copy or a copy that has flaws (scratches, focus problems, etc) because of it's age. Does Canon still service these? I believe it doesn't have USM, right? Does it focus silently?

I saw someone selling this lens in Canada for $750, but I wanted the light weight of the F4 version. I would had considered it stronger if somebody was selling a mint copy, this guys had some scratches from what I remember.

i got a very good condition. minimal scratches on the body..very small nicks on front element which arent visible in the photos. even the hood is ok.

the bad thing is..canon doesnt service this anymore. if the af switch (which, according to reports, is the first one to give..) i have to look for a broken copy to get the parts.

heh. cross the bridge when i get there. right now, im enjoying and no regrets. it was a gamble on my part to get this lens. but so far, i love it.

focus is not USM fast. but can keep up with it :)

GlennSter
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 00:16
thanks wxguesser! it's nice and much warmer =)

WxGuesser
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 00:17
oh.. i just deleted my post.. i didn't like how it looked around the wiskers..... should i post it back up?

grego
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 01:51
who makes this lens?

You can get that quality from the Canon 70-200L series now, though.
And there are many to choose from.

70-200 f/2.8L
70-200 f/2.8L IS

70-200 f/4L
70-200 f/4L IS

mxwphoto
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 02:36
Hmm did the 80-200L have lead in its glass? seems awfully heavy for something that's smaller than the 70-200 2.8 yet weighing in 200g more...

blackviolet
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 05:35
my af/mf switch died a few years ago. it took me quite a while to source one. canon no longer services them and parts aren't like any other lens. the rubber on the focus ring is stretched, but i've fixed that with a little bit of goop. it's still a great lens - sharp and fast. not USM.

Jman13
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 06:29
You'll love the drainpipe. Outstanding lens. Here are three from my trip to the zoo this summer, taken with the 80-200L:
http://www.jordansteele.com/images/recent/lorikeet.jpg
http://www.jordansteele.com/images/recent/orangutan1.jpg
http://www.jordansteele.com/images/recent/koala.jpg

Dorman
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 09:03
Lookin' good Glenster, nice and sharp, great color/contrast repro. Bluedogs edit makes an already good shot look even better btw.

Double Negative
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 09:11
Those are wonderful shots!

A well-deserved reputation that lens has...

GlennSter
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 15:09
dorman, thanks very much sir!

double negative: i just hope this would last me a long time...

Double Negative
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 15:18
dorman, thanks very much sir!

double negative: i just hope this would last me a long time...

No reason it shouldn't! I've got 20+ y/o FD lenses. Admittedly a little simpler than today's lenses, but still. Glass doesn't go bad. :p

shaunknee
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 16:59
GlennSter,

I have used this lens extensively. My brother owns one and lives in Markham, so it is nice and close when I want to borrow it. This lens is the reason I bought my 70-200 2.8IS. I still borrow it on occasion when I donít want to look like a poser with the white monster. I would guess my lens is heavier and larger then the 80-200. Other then the IS the end results are the same. Enjoy it and take care of it !

JaGWiRE
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 18:08
GlennSter,

I have used this lens extensively. My brother owns one and lives in Markham, so it is nice and close when I want to borrow it. This lens is the reason I bought my 70-200 2.8IS. I still borrow it on occasion when I donít want to look like a poser with the white monster. I would guess my lens is heavier and larger then the 80-200. Other then the IS the end results are the same. Enjoy it and take care of it !
Heh, I still like black L glass for some reason, white L glass just looks less cool and professional to me.

cjm
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 19:39
This lens is absolutely a gem! I wish I could have kept mine but the only downside of this lens is its sigma speed focus. It wasnt bad but it wasnt as fast as my 70-200 f4L. The color is simply the best, what the 70-200 Ls should be, Black!

If the lens is in perfect working condition and the seller is honest about its condition, there is little need to worry because its built like a tank! It even came with a big leather case. This is back when Canon really made their lenses with the best quality, unlike today where L lenses are all the rage, back then L lenses truly were professional.

Great copy you have. Congrats and hopefully this lens will outlast you. :)

JaGWiRE
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 19:42
This lens is absolutely a gem! I wish I could have kept mine but the only downside of this lens is its sigma speed focus. It wasnt bad but it wasnt as fast as my 70-200 f4L. The color is simply the best, what the 70-200 Ls should be, Black!

If the lens is in perfect working condition and the seller is honest about its condition, there is little need to worry because its built like a tank! It even came with a big leather case. This is back when Canon really made their lenses with the best quality, unlike today where L lenses are all the rage, back then L lenses truly were professional.

Great copy you have. Congrats and hopefully this lens will outlast you. :)

That's awesome. The only leather thing in my 70-200 F4L is the bottom of the little pouchey thing they give you :(.

cjm
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 20:49
That's awesome. The only leather thing in my 70-200 F4L is the bottom of the little pouchey thing they give you :(.Yeah what a joke eh? Although with Canon's more expensive L lenses they give you a "nice" polyester paded bag. Pfft the Sigma bag I got with my Siggy lens is better then the one I got with my 70-200 f2.8 L. Go figure.

GlennSter
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 21:16
jamn..fantastic colors!!!

shawnknee: hey...im near your bro's =) and yes...taking good care of it.she sleeps beside me!!!

cjm: thanks..i really believe this is a good copy (not because im trying to justify my pruchase). i'll rate the condition as 8.5/10 considering it's age. the seller is honest and very patient with me. the one that i got doesnt have the leather case...but what the heck.af speed doesnt really annoy me at all...defintely slower than my 2470L...but still fast enough for my shooting style.

jagwire: that's my thing too...white lenses doesn't really appeal to me. im not the kind of person who enjoys attention too much.hehehe. i was about to buy a 70-200 f4 against this lens. many people might not agree with my taste against white lenses..but it's just me.

Dorman
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 22:55
I'm not a big fan of the white lenses either, much prefer black

mxwphoto
10th of November 2006 (Fri), 14:11
If you don't like the off white, you can always opt to paint it black. I've seen painted lens+camera for military photography use somewhere in this forum before. :)

shaunknee
10th of November 2006 (Fri), 14:39
Yes I'm sure repainting would only improve resale value!

JaGWiRE
10th of November 2006 (Fri), 15:09

Too funny :D. I wouldn't doubt it though, lol. I'de be scared to paint it though as long as glass is in my lens.

GlennSter
10th of November 2006 (Fri), 18:54

:lol:

well, seriously, i think i wouldnt mess with the paint if it's just the concern. color of the barrel is only secondary for me....but still a concern.

cjm
10th of November 2006 (Fri), 19:10
The only way to paint the lens properly is to send it to Canon and have them paint it by taking it appart and starting from scratch and paint all the numbers and words. Hmm something tells me that to paint a 70-200 f2.8 L it would cost as much as "Opps better get Maco" :lol:

Personally though I would pay an extra $100 to buy a 70-200 f2.8 L in black. Wish they gave that option.

PetKal
10th of November 2006 (Fri), 23:07
got a very good condition magic drainpipe. i got to test it last friday in toronto Zoo..it was chilly (around 3deg but felt like -2 degrees Celsius because of terrible windchill). i was too excited to try it out even if my hands were numb the whole time :lol:

Good shots, good lens, compadre.

JaGWiRE
11th of November 2006 (Sat), 00:17
The only way to paint the lens properly is to send it to Canon and have them paint it by taking it appart and starting from scratch and paint all the numbers and words. Hmm something tells me that to paint a 70-200 f2.8 L it would cost as much as "Opps better get Maco" :lol:

Personally though I would pay an extra $100 to buy a 70-200 f2.8 L in black. Wish they gave that option.
Yeah, I would too. You think Canon would really paint it if you wanted though?

Lightstream
11th of November 2006 (Sat), 03:31
Yeah, I would too. You think Canon would really paint it if you wanted though?

It's really how much money it would cost. With enough money they will even build you a 1200/5.6 and deliver it.....

Interestingly, the white REALLY does combat heat absorption. There are days when I can't wear black when outdoors because it simply soaks up the heat. If I wear white it's a lot more comfortable.

I have a black Sigma 70-200 and it absorbs a lot more heat than the Big Whites I own. OTOH this is not really a big deal anyway. The hood takes the brunt of it, as does my skin.

And besides..... Sigma's very dark charcoal gray.....

PetKal
11th of November 2006 (Sat), 06:05
Interestingly, the white REALLY does combat heat absorption. There are days when I can't wear black when outdoors because it simply soaks up the heat. If I wear white it's a lot more comfortable.

The hood takes the brunt of it, as does my skin.

Yada yada, that is a masterly post........clearly bespeaks of a Tupperware Mother Thread alumnus.
Some of it is so good I do not even dare to comment upon in less general terms.

Lightstream
11th of November 2006 (Sat), 06:10
Yada yada, that is a masterly post........clearly bespeaks of a Tupperware Mother Thread alumnus.
Some of it is so good I do not even dare to comment upon in less general terms.

Oh dear. You must have been overheated too; standing out there in the squirrel suit if that is all you can say....

GlennSter
11th of November 2006 (Sat), 20:48
Good shots, good lens, compadre.

thank you sir!! still have to overcome the learning curve of this lens :rolleyes:

nothin
11th of November 2006 (Sat), 22:39
Nice piece of glass GlenSter. I had mine for 3 years, give or take, and it was one of my favorite lenses. Sold it about 6 months ago to buy a 70-200 2.8L IS. I would say that weight wise, it's a toss up. Both are anchors, but I don't notice the wieght that much. The IQ of both of these lenses more than makes up for it. I love the IS on the new lens, but I miss the black color of the Drainpipe. Though both lenses are far from inconspicuous, the black one is a little less noticable. You're in for a good time with that lens. After all, it didn't get the nickname "Magic Drainpipe" for nothing. Enjoy!

GlennSter
11th of November 2006 (Sat), 23:09
Nice piece of glass GlenSter. I had mine for 3 years, give or take, and it was one of my favorite lenses. Sold it about 6 months ago to buy a 70-200 2.8L IS. I would say that weight wise, it's a toss up. Both are anchors, but I don't notice the wieght that much. The IQ of both of these lenses more than makes up for it. I love the IS on the new lens, but I miss the black color of the Drainpipe. Though both lenses are far from inconspicuous, the black one is a little less noticable. You're in for a good time with that lens. After all, it didn't get the nickname "Magic Drainpipe" for nothing. Enjoy!

currently enjoying the weight!!im a big guy myself so whenever i use a light lens, it feels...unsecure..i dont know. my point being is the weight doesn't really bother me.

the 70-200IS is also a dream of mine. but that will come in the future when justifying the cost will not be an issue.

currently, im just concerned with the servicability when something breaks down. but i won't have sleepless nights thinking about it..i think the price that i got it for is just well worth it.

one minor gripe about is is the hood...herherherh. it's a snap on hood and the shape is "corny" :lol: i want the petal shaped hood...

CyberPet
11th of November 2006 (Sat), 23:18
I love my magic drainpipe... it's sharp and reliable. I need an IS lens though, so I will part with my loved lens soon. But it's a great buy if you can find one!

The weight is just a bit lighter than the 70-200/2.8L IS. My hood is a "screw-on" one and it's a bit annoying as I have to remove it to put the lens cap on.

It has a yummy DOF too... here's a few portraits I've taken recently with mine:

http://petrahall.se/portrait/anna/images/IMG_2028.jpg

http://petrahall.se/portrait/anna/images/IMG_2074.jpg

http://petrahall.se/portrait/stina/images/132743S.jpg

http://petrahall.se/portrait/stina/images/132357S.jpg

JaGWiRE
12th of November 2006 (Sun), 04:31
Definitley has amazing color and contrast compared to most of today's lenses.

GlennSter
12th of November 2006 (Sun), 09:13
brilliant..just brilliant petra!!!

what is the hood number that you are using?

CyberPet
12th of November 2006 (Sun), 14:59
Glenn, I have no idea. I got the hood when I bougth the lense used. It's "rubbery".

PetKal
12th of November 2006 (Sun), 15:15
I love my magic drainpipe... it's sharp and reliable. I need an IS lens though, so I will part with my loved lens soon. But it's a great buy if you can find one!

The weight is just a bit lighter than the 70-200/2.8L IS. My hood is a "screw-on" one and it's a bit annoying as I have to remove it to put the lens cap on.

It has a yummy DOF too... here's a few portraits I've taken recently with mine:

Also, this is as good as it gets.
Glennster and Petra, you naughty kids......you are going to make me buy one for miself if you keep posting these images.:(

CyberPet
12th of November 2006 (Sun), 15:23
You want more? :D

http://petrahall.se/brudpar/cecilia_mattias/images/145706S.jpg

AF being pretty good even when they were walking:
http://petrahall.se/brudpar/cecilia_mattias/images/145951S.jpg

http://petrahall.se/brudpar/jeanette_david/images/130913S.jpg

http://petrahall.se/brudpar/sandra_peter/images/154718S.jpg

Ok you get the idea, I love this lens, I use it *all* the time for portraits! :D

PetKal
12th of November 2006 (Sun), 15:54
You want more? :D

AF being pretty good even when they were walking:

Ok you get the idea, I love this lens, I use it *all* the time for portraits! :D

Very nice. Now, let us talk like a man to a woman, Peter to Petra.;)
Why do you need IS ? Why not compensate with a pod ? Practice a steady handhold ?
Secondly, how does the AF behave compared to your USM lenses ? Have you tried to track something faster with the drainpipe, like a fast moving car, a bird, etc ?
(Do you realize that would be my third EF 70-200 lens if I succumb to the temptation ?)

CyberPet
12th of November 2006 (Sun), 17:00
I want the IS because I then can use the lens even during ceremonies. A tripod or a monopod is out of the question as I don't feel comfortable with it. I move around too much during the ceremony and use two bodies, which make it hard to "put down" the body with the long lens while using the other body.

I haven't tracked anything fast with the lens, I don't have children and don't like sports. And my cats sleep most of the time. :D

GlennSter
13th of November 2006 (Mon), 00:09
Very nice. Now, let us talk like a man to a woman, Peter to Petra.;)
Why do you need IS ? Why not compensate with a pod ? Practice a steady handhold ?
Secondly, how does the AF behave compared to your USM lenses ? Have you tried to track something faster with the drainpipe, like a fast moving car, a bird, etc ?
(Do you realize that would be my third EF 70-200 lens if I succumb to the temptation ?)

you are cracking me up in the middle of the night!!!bwarhahrahr

i, on the other hand, don't have the budget to have IS. and i don't think i would need one as of the moment since im not a pro who earns money with his gear.

i use my pod, or my heavy arms (ive been practicing everyday LOL) to have a steady shot with 200mm (no dice as of yet...)

i haven't tested the drainpipe for panning..or catching a bird in flight. all i can comment about is that comparing it to my 24-70L, it is undeniably slower, and sounds louder, although smooth and always hit dead-on a non-moving subject.

next problem would be looking for a very good condition unit =p

PetKal
13th of November 2006 (Mon), 05:43
you are cracking me up in the middle of the night!!!bwarhahrahr

i, on the other hand, don't have the budget to have IS. and i don't think i would need one as of the moment since im not a pro who earns money with his gear.

i use my pod, or my heavy arms (ive been practicing everyday LOL) to have a steady shot with 200mm (no dice as of yet...)

i haven't tested the drainpipe for panning..or catching a bird in flight. all i can comment about is that comparing it to my 24-70L, it is undeniably slower, and sounds louder, although smooth and always hit dead-on a non-moving subject.

next problem would be looking for a very good condition unit =p

Gotcha. Thanx compadre.

JaGWiRE
13th of November 2006 (Mon), 12:43
Gotcha. Thanx compadre.

Petkal, if your thinkin about picking up a copy of this lens, we should talk, it is one heck of a lens for $ without doubt, just take a look at the image quality in these shots, insane! Maybe we could do a split purchase on it and share it or something. I realize it's not a very pricey lens (I saw one for $750 CAD a while back that struggled to sell for quite some time), but it doesn't seem like a bad investment if you want to add a nice sharp lens with great color contrast to your collection where you don't need all that much AF speed and extras like IS (speaking of which, did you ever conduct some 300 F/4 vs 300 F/4 NON-IS tests? I might have to go with the 300 F/4 to save a few bucks and prove my manliness :D.)

PetKal
13th of November 2006 (Mon), 12:52
Petkal, if your thinkin about picking up a copy of this lens, we should talk, it is one heck of a lens for $ without doubt, just take a look at the image quality in these shots, insane! Maybe we could do a split purchase on it and share it or something. I realize it's not a very pricey lens (I saw one for $750 CAD a while back that struggled to sell for quite some time), but it doesn't seem like a bad investment if you want to add a nice sharp lens with great color contrast to your collection where you don't need all that much AF speed and extras like IS (speaking of which, did you ever conduct some 300 F/4 vs 300 F/4 NON-IS tests? I might have to go with the 300 F/4 to save a few bucks and prove my manliness :D.)

Jagjit, you ever so an enterprising boy.:lol:
I will send you a PM on both lenses. We Ontarians must secretly pool our intelligence and resources, otherwise them Yanks will just walk all over us.;)

JaGWiRE
13th of November 2006 (Mon), 13:05
Jagjit, you ever so an enterprising boy.:lol:
I will send you a PM on both lenses. We Ontarians must secretly pool our intelligence and resources, otherwise them Yanks will just walk all over us.;)
Things are about to change then, because no yankie is walking ontop of me.

GlennSter
13th of November 2006 (Mon), 13:12
Things are about to change then, because no yankie is walking ontop of me.

hahaha...ill join you guys

CyberPet
13th of November 2006 (Mon), 15:48
So should I bring my magic drainpipe to Canada? :D

In2Photos
13th of November 2006 (Mon), 15:57
GlennSter, would you mind if we use this thread for the image archives? If so, could you edit your first post to mention that others may share their shots for the archives.

PetKal
13th of November 2006 (Mon), 16:04

You an Ontarian by birthright/citizenship ?

JaGWiRE
13th of November 2006 (Mon), 16:07
I think you should. Plus, when you get that dream lens you've been waiting for, your going to want to compare it with the magic drainpipe right away, right?

GlennSter
13th of November 2006 (Mon), 22:21
GlennSter, would you mind if we use this thread for the image archives? If so, could you edit your first post to mention that others may share their shots for the archives.

i dont mind...will edit my first post!

CyberPet
14th of November 2006 (Tue), 02:02
Pete, nope. I'm married to one though. We're visiting the in-laws this christmas.

Not sure I can bring the magic drainpipe with me, if I'm going to buy the 70-200/2.8L IS, as I won't fit both in my bag, going back home. I was just joking if you guys wanted to buy it. But I know Claire was interested in it as well.

JaGWiRE
14th of November 2006 (Tue), 02:19
Pete, nope. I'm married to one though. We're visiting the in-laws this christmas.

Not sure I can bring the magic drainpipe with me, if I'm going to buy the 70-200/2.8L IS, as I won't fit both in my bag, going back home. I was just joking if you guys wanted to buy it. But I know Claire was interested in it as well.
Hm... You'de get crap dollar for it here probably to be honest, as from how it sounds from your postings in Sweden lenses are much much more expensive, so I'de expect resell prices to go on par with that.

In2Photos
14th of November 2006 (Tue), 11:12
i dont mind...will edit my first post!
Thanks. It has been added.

calicokat
14th of November 2006 (Tue), 12:12
Congrats and looking good :)

CyberPet
14th of November 2006 (Tue), 13:09
JaG, you're right, will not likely get as much in Canada as here in Sweden. I bought it for about $965 CAD and that was a bargain then, as I bought it from a good friend and he gave me a "buddy price", I saw other's being sold for anything between $1,000 CAD up to $1,150 CAD. But I'll be selling mine now for about $800 CAD.

I've cheated on my Magic Drainpipe today... played with a friends 70-200/2.8L IS and ooooh myyyy gooood... I know why the IS is so expensive!!! *rocking*

JaGWiRE
14th of November 2006 (Tue), 13:14
JaG, you're right, will not likely get as much in Canada as here in Sweden. I bought it for about $965 CAD and that was a bargain then, as I bought it from a good friend and he gave me a "buddy price", I saw other's being sold for anything between $1,000 CAD up to $1,150 CAD. But I'll be selling mine now for about $800 CAD.

I've cheated on my Magic Drainpipe today... played with a friends 70-200/2.8L IS and ooooh myyyy gooood... I know why the IS is so expensive!!! *rocking*

Hehe, awesome. Me and petkal might have to speak about that drainpipe of yours. *Damn that name is awesome, makes it sound like we're talking about a pipe used to smoke marijuana or something to hallucinate dragons!*

PetKal
14th of November 2006 (Tue), 14:09
Hehe, awesome. Me and petkal might have to speak about that drainpipe of yours. *Damn that name is awesome, makes it sound like we're talking about a pipe used to smoke marijuana or something to hallucinate dragons!*

Peace, dood......ahemmm....errr......wuzzup ?

GlennSter
14th of November 2006 (Tue), 14:28
there yah go guys...petra's calling!!!

PetKal
14th of November 2006 (Tue), 14:32
YESTERDAY, SOMEONE SNATCHED A (LN-) DRANIPIPE FROM KEH.
They do not come often in that condition any more.

JaGWiRE
14th of November 2006 (Tue), 14:57
YESTERDAY, SOMEONE SNATCHED A (LN-) DRANIPIPE FROM KEH.
They do not come often in that condition any more.
Keh? What's that?

GlennSter
14th of November 2006 (Tue), 14:58
its a big used camera and lenses retailer

JaGWiRE
14th of November 2006 (Tue), 15:19
Oh, really? Where in Toronto are they? Is there a site? Perhaps I should drop by one day. Petkal, your right, that sounds like a damn fine deal.

cjm
14th of November 2006 (Tue), 17:21
Here are some images from my Drainpipe that I was pretty happy with. Yeah yeah I know Ducks, but the teenager Seagull strutting his stuff taken against direct sunlight is pretty nice. :)

CyberPet
15th of November 2006 (Wed), 12:48

Where? I'm going to Toronto on december 18th if all goes as planned. :)

Jon
15th of November 2006 (Wed), 12:54
Oh, really? Where in Toronto are they? Is there a site? Perhaps I should drop by one day. Petkal, your right, that sounds like a damn fine deal.

Where? I'm going to Toronto on december 18th if all goes as planned. :)
Won't do you any good if you want to walk in and drool; they're in Atlanta. http://www.keh.com. Reputable (for a long time) used gear sales place.

JaGWiRE
15th of November 2006 (Wed), 13:49
Won't do you any good if you want to walk in and drool; they're in Atlanta. http://www.keh.com. Reputable (for a long time) used gear sales place.

Heh, I figured as Petkal is in Ontario and so was glenstar, it was in Ontario somewhere, haha.

GlennSter
16th of November 2006 (Thu), 13:36
jag/ petkal: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/475286

CyberPet
16th of November 2006 (Thu), 15:10
Oh, I do have the tripod mount ring for this baby too.... *wink wink*

SeattleSpeedster
30th of November 2006 (Thu), 21:40
Hey i just bought one of these....very impressed with your shots

Mike

GlennSter
30th of November 2006 (Thu), 23:12
Hey i just bought one of these....very impressed with your shots

Mike

nice!

where'd you dig yours?

SeattleSpeedster
1st of December 2006 (Fri), 09:43
fred miranda sale forum

theres one on ebay in israel

Krapo
1st of December 2006 (Fri), 11:18
Here is my contrib. I love my Drainpipe!

Critics and Edits welcome!

SeattleSpeedster
1st of December 2006 (Fri), 15:20
looks awesome.....so this thing basically turns you into an animal stalker? :)

Krapo
1st of December 2006 (Fri), 18:10
Hey! My wife is not an animal ;)

Thanks for the compliments. This lens turns you into whatever you want to do!
I love it, especially since I got it for free... (my sister gave it to me)

CyberPet
1st of December 2006 (Fri), 23:03
Love the self-portrait and the picture of your wife. ;)

No honestly, both are good! :D

Krapo
2nd of December 2006 (Sat), 05:10
Yes, I have to admit the tripod and the timer helped a lot for the self portrait... ;)

Thanks Petra

SeattleSpeedster
6th of December 2006 (Wed), 12:12
jeebus....this thing just arrived :) Makes my 300d body look like an afterthought hanging on to the back of a lens. Its cloudy/mucky out but i've got to go find some ducks or something :)

SeattleSpeedster
6th of December 2006 (Wed), 19:35
ok heres a few from today....c/c?

http://home.comcast.net/~mreidsix1/squirrel2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mreidsix1/rails3.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mreidsix1/pusher2.jpg

Krapo
7th of December 2006 (Thu), 10:00
Congrats for the purchase! You won't be disappointed, as you can see from your beautiful first pics. This lens is a gem!

I like the second one a lot!

SeattleSpeedster
7th of December 2006 (Thu), 18:11
hey do you recommend putting a 72mm UV filter on the end of this for protection...and if so which brand?

GlennSter
7th of December 2006 (Thu), 22:02
krapo!!! i like the shot of the wife!

seattlespeedster....enjoying so far huh!?

look at the colors of the photos...wow.

GlennSter
7th of December 2006 (Thu), 22:07
by the way, im using only B+W MRC filters in my lenses.

SeattleSpeedster
7th of December 2006 (Thu), 22:12
yeah i had one woman on my first time out with it ask which magazine i shoot for.

and ibuprofen though does wonders for the sore arm (from lugging it around)

Krapo
9th of December 2006 (Sat), 13:59
hey do you recommend putting a 72mm UV filter on the end of this for protection...and if so which brand?

I do have a UV filter on it. Actually it's a low end filter (Hama UV filter) but I've never had to complain about it. With or without, I can't tell the difference...

Glenn: thank you for your comment :)

SeattleSpeedster
9th of December 2006 (Sat), 18:49
ok i just ordered the B&W 72mm MRC 010 UV filter from BH

Another drainpipe in unknown condition in a poorly-labeled auction was going for $350 until ten minutes out and then doubled to 650 within the last ten seconds.

iLuveKetchup
8th of October 2007 (Mon), 08:24
Would anyone choose this lens over the 70-200 2.8 IS?

Renť Damkot
8th of October 2007 (Mon), 09:14
Pros of the 80-200L:
It's black;
It's way cheaper;
It might be a bit better.

Pro's of the 70-200L IS:
IS;
USM.

For me, IS would be the only reason to take the newer one over the drainpipe...
And then only if I had money to burn. Since I don't, I have the 80-200L ;)

Jman13
8th of October 2007 (Mon), 11:44
I've posted already, but here are a few more from my 80-200L:
@ 200mm f/4:
http://www.jordansteele.com/images/recent/flamingo_2.jpg

@ 280mm with 1.4x TC:
http://www.jordansteele.com/images/recent/water_light_bands.jpg

@280mm with 1.4xTC:
http://www.jordansteele.com/images/recent/squirrel.jpg

SeattleSpeedster
8th of October 2007 (Mon), 11:58
yeah i have never for one second regretted my drainpipe purchase...took it to China, Scotland, Colombia, all over. Its a heavy beast, but the images are incredible. Never had to sharpen anything coming out of it.

Krapo
8th of October 2007 (Mon), 16:22
Would anyone choose this lens over the 70-200 2.8 IS?

I've never used the 70-200 IS so I can't tell about the IQ. The advantage of the drainpipe is that you can get it for the third of the price of the new IS version.

Drawback: it's not maintained anymore, so if you have a problem, it might become a big one.

Jman13
8th of October 2007 (Mon), 16:32
I have tried the 70-200 f/4L and 70-200 f/2.8L and my 80-200L is sharper than both, in my testing. As mentioned before, it is less expensive (I got mine for $550 with everything (collar, case, box), in mint condition too!) and has incredible image quality. It's also black if you care about such things (I don't). It has slower autofocus (though the AFD focusing is surprisingly quick...not too much slower than USM.) and of course, no IS.

C1rrus
30th of November 2007 (Fri), 21:18
Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but I just picked up a drainpipe on eBay for about 560 shipped. Looking at the images in this thread, I must say I am really excited to try out this legend of a lens. :D
Is 560 a pretty good deal, btw? I thought it was...

PetKal
30th of November 2007 (Fri), 21:37
Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but I just picked up a drainpipe on eBay for about 560 shipped. Looking at the images in this thread, I must say I am really excited to try out this legend of a lens. :D
Is 560 a pretty good deal, btw? I thought it was...

If it is in a fine condition, tripod collar and hood included, perhaps the case as well, then it's a super duper deal. KEH would typically charge $800 or even more for a lens like that. Now, KEH is also the most expensive source that there is.

C1rrus
30th of November 2007 (Fri), 22:14
It appears to be in good condition (according to what the seller said), and has all the accessories with it.
I saw that copy on KEH; gagged a little at the price. 800, dang.

SnlpeR
12th of May 2008 (Mon), 19:14
at a fashion show with one bright spot light

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3254/2452305784_c435c6f0c2_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/2452306696_0b848dc7ab_o.jpg

SeattleSpeedster
12th of May 2008 (Mon), 19:34
since we are posting here again...

back from a tour yesterday to the Monkey Forest at Ubud...in Bali Indonesia

http://home.comcast.net/~michaelfreid/guardiansized2.jpg

mastertech01
15th of May 2008 (Thu), 21:51
Great photos... I just got mine today. Sharp as a tack and better than I had imagined. It is one big lens to get used to handheld though! I got mine with a Kenko 1.4x teleconvertor included.

SeattleSpeedster
16th of May 2008 (Fri), 00:48
its a monster but i never travel without it

darosk
3rd of November 2008 (Mon), 01:48
Just picked one up for 650 shipped off eBay - looks in fab condition so I'm excited for when it comes in.

Any you drainpipe owners willing to post any stuff you've shot recently?

darosk
6th of November 2008 (Thu), 00:51
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/opiate_eyes/DPP_0001.jpg

Just got my magic drainpipe today. One of my first shots today. I am loving this thing.

SeattleSpeedster
6th of November 2008 (Thu), 10:26
it got pretty wet shooting these but it was worth it

http://www.vispoint.com/album/Fall%20Colors%20and%20Maples/slides/dark.jpg

Canon EOS 5D | ISO: 500 | Exp. Time: 1/250s | Aperture: 2.8 | Focal Length: 200.0mm

JAcosta
6th of November 2008 (Thu), 10:33
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3090/2727376419_84b7643f78_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3154/2728201006_ba593e847e_b.jpg

Just a couple from earlier this year. Taken with a 1D Mark IIn.

darosk
19th of November 2008 (Wed), 14:12
A couple I shot recently:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/opiate_eyes/IMG_7078.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/opiate_eyes/IMG_7211.jpg

tin.risky
3rd of December 2008 (Wed), 15:02
Going through this thread only makes me more certain that I want this lens. I'll be pulling the trigger tonight when the seller puts it up on ebay for me. It doesn't come with a tripod collar though. Does anyone know where I can find one?

SeattleSpeedster
3rd of December 2008 (Wed), 16:15
should be easy....either ebay or the same one that fits the 70-200

GlennSter
3rd of December 2008 (Wed), 16:30
it got pretty wet shooting these but it was worth it

http://www.vispoint.com/album/Fall%20Colors%20and%20Maples/slides/dark.jpg

Canon EOS 5D | ISO: 500 | Exp. Time: 1/250s | Aperture: 2.8 | Focal Length: 200.0mm

i would love to have this on my room wall...wow!!!

JACOSTA:what beautiful colours....just amazing.

SeattleSpeedster
3rd of December 2008 (Wed), 16:49
Like I keep saying my drainpipe is from the early 90s but still an amazing lens

darosk
3rd of December 2008 (Wed), 17:33
A few of a friend of mine from earlier this morning :D

http://www.daroskoding.com/photos/429713676_dipdt-L-1.jpg

http://www.daroskoding.com/photos/429716603_2Bybv-L-1.jpg

http://www.daroskoding.com/photos/429720135_24nC5-L-1.jpg

SeattleSpeedster
13th of December 2008 (Sat), 16:56
hummers out front...at 200mm 2.8

http://www.vispoint.com/album/Objects%20of%20Interest/slides/hummer2.jpg

http://www.vispoint.com/album/Objects%20of%20Interest/slides/hummer5.jpg

JakPot
19th of March 2009 (Thu), 23:10
to resurrect this again...

Got one of these gems heading my way.... The only thing not included is the hood. Anyone have recommendations on an aftermarket lens hood, or should I drop the $50 on the Canon version.

PS: More pics please :p

machjakub
22nd of March 2009 (Sun), 09:34
I have bought Drainpipe from ebay few days ago.
I have no DSLR now, but i tested it on the Grand Prix gymnastic competition on the 350D body. First time with this excellent lens.

wide open, 105mm, ISO 800, OOF highlights
http://machjakub.smugmug.com/photos/496351280_3ZdaU-O.jpg

crop from previous
http://machjakub.smugmug.com/photos/496351311_fTSmz-O.jpg

Dorman
22nd of March 2009 (Sun), 09:55
A few of a friend of mine from earlier this morning :D

These are great! this looks like a great alternative to the 70-200 if you can find one in good shape.

SeattleSpeedster
22nd of March 2009 (Sun), 11:23
recent drainpipe shot here in seattle

http://www.vispoint.com/album/Volunteer%20Park%20Conservatory%20VI/slides/IMG_7922.jpg

darosk
25th of March 2009 (Wed), 16:08
A few more random samples taken recently:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/opiate_eyes/IMG_1083-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/opiate_eyes/IMG_1536.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/opiate_eyes/IMG_1523.jpg

SeattleSpeedster
25th of March 2009 (Wed), 17:11
another shot f/4 at 200mm

http://www.vispoint.com/album/Weyerhauser/slides/IMG_1271.jpg

JakPot
25th of March 2009 (Wed), 23:23
mine came in late today... tomorrow we're supposed to get 6-12" of snow here in Denver, so it'll be a couple days before I can get out and play :mad: :cry:

nice shots there Mike.

JakPot
27th of March 2009 (Fri), 17:23
well, we got the snow they said we'd get... We haven't made it out of the 20s today, so I took a few test shots on the balcony. This is going to be a great lens.

5D, 80-200 @ 200, f2.8
http://jakepotts.com/potn/test_1.jpg

and crop:
http://jakepotts.com/potn/test_1crop.jpg

SeattleSpeedster
23rd of April 2009 (Thu), 20:34
one from yesterday...mt vernon tulip fields at f/2.8

http://www.vispoint.com/album/Mt%20Vernon%20Tulips%202009/slides/IMG_0494.jpg

xoldboy
23rd of April 2009 (Thu), 21:25
i plan on getting this lense in the near future, sure looks worth getting!

JakPot
23rd of April 2009 (Thu), 22:42
one from yesterday...mt vernon tulip fields at f/2.8

this is NICE!

JakPot
25th of April 2009 (Sat), 20:46
80-200 @ 200, f/2.8, 5d

http://jakepotts.com/potn/jim_1.jpg

SeattleSpeedster
25th of April 2009 (Sat), 21:23
^^stunning...reminds me why the drainpipe takes on the 200/2 at 2.8

darosk
28th of April 2009 (Tue), 22:29
^^agreed - a fantabulous example of the drainpipe's performance.

Ah... I'll keep on saving for that FF body... Yikes that shot is beautiful, JakPot!

JakPot
28th of April 2009 (Tue), 22:51
thanks guys... i'm loving the drainpipe! keep the examples coming

versedmb
1st of May 2009 (Fri), 22:08
80-200 @ 200, f/2.8, 5d

http://jakepotts.com/potn/jim_1.jpg

Wonderful portrait.

cptrios
30th of May 2009 (Sat), 14:07
Just got one on eBay! Can't wait!

JakPot
30th of May 2009 (Sat), 14:49
we'll be waiting on some samples!

darosk
2nd of June 2009 (Tue), 14:42
http://darosk.smugmug.com/photos/553063352_SWjGC-X2.jpg
200mm
1/250 sec
f/2.8
ISO100

http://darosk.smugmug.com/photos/553067648_TBiu9-XL.jpg
200mm
1/400 sec
f/2.8
ISO400

JakPot
2nd of June 2009 (Tue), 15:56
beauties :D

darosk
2nd of June 2009 (Tue), 22:23
beauties :D
Thanks JakPot! I love shooting wide open with her :D

cptrios
2nd of June 2009 (Tue), 22:29
Love the second shot darosk. Any chance you wouldn't mind putting up a 100% crop?

darosk
2nd of June 2009 (Tue), 22:52
Love the second shot darosk. Any chance you wouldn't mind putting up a 100% crop?
Sure - center crop - shot wide open - untouched raw:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/opiate_eyes/IMG_6383.jpg

cptrios
2nd of June 2009 (Tue), 23:35
Thanks! Great bokeh on this guy, huh?

darosk
2nd of June 2009 (Tue), 23:37
Thanks! Great bokeh on this guy, huh?
I'm definitely a huge fan :)

So, when are you gonna be posting up some samples, eh? ;)

cptrios
4th of June 2009 (Thu), 16:14
Not going to have it til tomorrow night...got delivered to my house today but I was at work :mad: so I've got to pick it up at the post office on my way home tomorrow. Bah!

JakPot
4th of June 2009 (Thu), 22:03
Not going to have it til tomorrow night...got delivered to my house today but I was at work :mad: so I've got to pick it up at the post office on my way home tomorrow. Bah!

ARGH! i hate when that happens!

cptrios
5th of June 2009 (Fri), 16:46
OK just got home and snapped a few shots off! Too bad it's dark, grey, and slightly rainy...but the drainpipe has kind of impressed me already!

A squirrel on my roof (and anyone who mocks this lens' AF speed...yeah, it may not be ring USM, but look how well it contended with this ridiculously low angle AND all of those seeds and leaves in the way...on a dark, cloudy day. I'd say 50% of my spray-and-pray shots of this squirrel are useable.) As can be expected under the circumstances, not the sharpest shot ever...but some local contrast and USM bring out plenty o' detail.

40D, 200mm f/2.8, ISO 500, shot in JPEG, straight out of the camera: