PDA

View Full Version : Difficult 4 october wedding

song4themoon
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 15:42
This wedding was at a museum. Restrictions over restrictions. Nothing could be touched, no tripods (therefor also no external lightings) ... dimn light.
The walls were beautiful, dark red with artwork everywhere... but the light was so dark. Only the art was really lid the rest of the rooms was dim.
With flash everything looked washed out and the atmosphere was all gone so I had to go without flash. At ISO 3200 (didnt have another choice) whoch left me with l;ots of grain and STILL underexposed images.
Heavy postprocessing was necessary, but I think I fixed most of it ok.. at least I brought out the atmoshere which was important to me.

You can see a selection of images here

www.foreveryesterday.photosite.com (http://www.foreveryesterday.photosite.com) and click on "Jan and Pete"

Damn, November I meant... thanks Mickey.. my head is spinning.

g-money
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 15:58
Nice photos in there. I really love the photo of the chello and violinist. Sounds lile pretty tuff shooting conditions. I think you did well.

Greg

darktiger
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 16:07
I think you did pretty well, despite the restrictions...

tony fanning
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 16:14
As I always say- "every day`s a school day" What doesn`t kill us, makes us stronger. Nice shots, now put your feet up and have a glass of wine!

staciecd
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 16:18
Glad I didn't go - my shots would've been REALLY grainy. I really like your first three pages of poses - great ideas and composition. I like the rings in the rose - that turned out perfectly!

Stacie

LuisE
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 16:42
Wonderfull work. I like every shot. The postprocessing is really good. Congratulations.
LuisE

JMHPhotography
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 16:48
This wedding was at a museum. Restrictions over restrictions. Nothing could be touched, no tripods (therefor also no external lightings) ... dimn light.
The walls were beautiful, dark red with artwork everywhere... but the light was so dark. Only the art was really lid the rest of the rooms was dim.
With flash everything looked washed out and the atmosphere was all gone so I had to go without flash. At ISO 3200 (didnt have another choice) whoch left me with l;ots of grain and STILL underexposed images.
Heavy postprocessing was necessary, but I think I fixed most of it ok.. at least I brought out the atmoshere which was important to me.

You can see a selection of images here

www.foreveryesterday.photosite.com (http://www.foreveryesterday.photosite.com) and click on "Jan and Pete"

I also think you did REALLY well. I'm curious though... you said flash made it look washed out and so on. I'm guessing you mean because it had to be camera mounted and you had nothing to bounce off of?

wilky95
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 16:50
I think that this is the best you have shown us.

well done

Martin

David Amos Photography
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 17:35
I think you have done an absolute excellent job here.... they look and feel as if it were part of an exhibition. They even look like paintings. At 3200 I am very amazed.
Are you using a 20D?

song4themoon
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 17:39
forkball.. thats exactly what I meant. there wasnt any bouncing possible or lets say it looked terrible.. and direct flash looked even worse.

Yes I used my 20D's... I was able to reduce the noise and get this warm feel via the midnight sepia action (thank heaven for that) and then I reduced the opacity magnificantly on the faces to not have them all washed out

MagicallyDelicious
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 17:42
i really like them.

sblais
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 18:36
Good job! What a nice place to get married! (but a nightmare for the photographer ;))

Tragerman
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 19:00
Jenni,
You've really shined here. Beautiful work. Great angles, attractive and creative poses. Very warm and romantic mood. BTW, it's November now.... ;-)
-Mickey

song4themoon
6th of November 2006 (Mon), 19:28
wow, I am blown away that everyone likes them so much. When I came home with them I was so worried, I was prepared to give them their money back, that horrible they originally were. I was near tears! Photoshop is AWESOME!

Yella Fella
7th of November 2006 (Tue), 04:12
Jenni, the pics are really good... considering what you had to work with, but hey, it makes photography more interesting and challenging so to speak

GertS
7th of November 2006 (Tue), 06:21
Jenni, that's great work. Everybody can see that this was no easy job.

It happens so many times to come home thinking "what nightmare!" and then great results turn out. You are not alone, but what you did, that is great!
Nobody could have got better results under such conditions, what results would they have had if they had asked someone using film? Or "Uncle Bob"?
Look for the P&S cameras at image 30. What kind of pictures they have got? Black in black.

I saw a presentation of a pro shooting 3200 in black and white on a fish trawler. That was grainy!
It's not looking for grain, it's catching the atmosphere and you did very well!

Unfortunately the pictures are only large enough in the slide show mode, or is it my 23" TFT? ;)

JMW-Photo
16th of November 2006 (Thu), 21:53
WOW, I really like them too. I am a big fan of available light work. I am trying to make that my area of focus (no punn intended).

Just curious, I noticed a nice delicate softness some of the red room gallery images...what actions did you use and what program for noise reduction?

GREAT work...I like the romantic feel of them!! It must have been a nightmare to meter!

Jeff

song4themoon
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 17:12
JMW, it's the midnight sepia action that did it

rightaway
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 20:41
great work!!! very nice place to get married but i can understand the feelings you had after...
How did you reduce the grain?
I am trying to cut on the amount of flash I use but it is a very addictive habit....
One of the thing i am always worried about is the grain if I go that route.
Can you elaborate more on what you did?

thanks

Stephan

JMW-Photo
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 21:00
great work!!! very nice place to get married but i can understand the feelings you had after...
How did you reduce the grain?
I am trying to cut on the amount of flash I use but it is a very addictive habit....
One of the thing i am always worried about is the grain if I go that route.
Can you elaborate more on what you did?

thanks

Stephan

I am there with ya Stephen. I assisted with my 2nd wedding a the beginning of the month and used available light only. ISO ran from 800 to 3200. I used Neat Image to reduce noise, but it can cause the faces/complexion to look plasic like. That is part of the reason I am so impressed with her results. I too will be awaiting her reply to your question.

Jeff

DocFrankenstein
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 21:30
This is when I would want a prime with image stabilization.

A good looking couple at a sexy location is the ticket to the high paying jobs. I see some good looking pictures. Congrats!

Also one of the exits is pretend to go artsy and convert everything to black/white. The noise is either minimized or gives an impression of filmic nostalgia.

song4themoon
20th of November 2006 (Mon), 13:54
I shot on ISO 3200, shutter I think was mostly between 80 and 100 and Aperture between 1.8 and 2.8 unless I had a group shot.

In photoshop I lightened the pics drastically via levels, then reduced noise with full strength (but left details at about 50%) and after that I added the midnight sepia to smoothen and bring back the warm feel of the location

cgratti
20th of November 2006 (Mon), 14:19
Was this wedding at the MET in NYC? Great job on it.

jessiper
20th of November 2006 (Mon), 14:57
I shot on ISO 3200, shutter I think was mostly between 80 and 100 and Aperture between 1.8 and 2.8 unless I had a group shot.

In photoshop I lightened the pics drastically via levels, then reduced noise with full strength (but left details at about 50%) and after that I added the midnight sepia to smoothen and bring back the warm feel of the location

I think the midnight sepia was a good choice. What did you do for group shots? They turned out really well, BTW. :)

song4themoon
20th of November 2006 (Mon), 19:36
I did the group shots in a room that had a little more light available than the other rooms (still not all that great but better) which allowed me to choose a wider aperture, but I dont think I ever went over 5 ... just wasnt possible

cgratti - the wedding was at the "Walters Art Museum" in Baltimore

jessiper
20th of November 2006 (Mon), 21:07
Thanks. I just found out that I'm shooting in a museum in Feb. so thanks for sharing! :) I'm not sure about the restrictions yet, I'm having them check on them now.

colinmcnamara
20th of November 2006 (Mon), 22:11
Great job coming up with keepers in a rough situation.

--Colin

woffles
21st of November 2006 (Tue), 16:57
One thing I'm curious about is when you are in a situation like this and they say no tripods, will they allow a monopod? What about someone else with a flash on a monopod holding it up for a key light? You did a good job here. These cameras still amaze me with what they can capture and be usable pics. I remeber when ISO 1000 film was a big deal to me!

RJRoss
21st of November 2006 (Tue), 21:27
You did a terrific job on these- I especially like the posing. Clients should be thrilled.