PDA

View Full Version : taping pins

JAB1
21st of January 2004 (Wed), 16:51
Can someone tell me EXACTLY how to tape the pins on my 1.4 extender so I can autofocus on my 100-400 zoom....I have tried numerous ways and cannot make it work...which pins and what type of tape?....thanks...Allan Boutwell :?

scottbergerphoto
21st of January 2004 (Wed), 18:40
If you look at the camera end of the 100-400, pins on your left, you tape the three lowest (most counter clockwise)pins. Use thin cellophane tape like Scotch Tape.
Scott

JAB1
21st of January 2004 (Wed), 20:13
Do you mean the pins on the 1.4 teleconverter?

robekert
21st of January 2004 (Wed), 21:06
Allan,
Try this link. I think you will find your answer in Tip #1.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/TipsPage/

Rob

CyberDyneSystems
22nd of January 2004 (Thu), 12:30
On this,. I have found that for this to work using a Sigma T-con you really only need to tape the last pin (most couter clockwies,.. to the left,. perhaps I shoud say first pin? ) of the three.

With the Sigma T-con just the one pin does the job nicely. I can't imagine that the Canon's pins would be any different?

CyberDyneSystems
22nd of January 2004 (Thu), 12:32
P.S,.. at least one owner of the 100-400mm IS lens has had to return the lens to Canon for repair of the focus motor after doing the "Tape trick"

He was pretty confident it was the "Tape trick" that toasted the AF motor...

Just a word of warning

robertwgross
18th of June 2004 (Fri), 18:07
Does anybody have anything good to add to this:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23667&highlight=teleconverter+pin s

I just got a Canon 100-400mm IS L lens with the Canon 1.4 teleconverter.

I expected that there would be some problem with the teleconverter in dim light, but in bright light it still doesn't autofocus. Without the teleconverter, autofocus seems fine. So, I think I need to fool around with pins.

For what it's worth (or for what the damned thing costs), it seems very sharp.

---Bob Gross---

Laziferous
18th of June 2004 (Fri), 18:26
Bob,
Is it that you try to be annoying, or you can't help being so?

robertwgross
18th of June 2004 (Fri), 18:36
Bob,
Is it that you try to be annoying, or you can't help being so?

Please clarify.

I asked a technical question based on an old thread. Do you have any answers?

---Bob Gross---

Laziferous
18th of June 2004 (Fri), 18:37
Me? I thought you knew everything.

robertwgross
18th of June 2004 (Fri), 19:05
Oh, I see. You are just being that way.

I know what I know, and I know what I don't know. When there is something that I don't know, and if I need to know it, then I search around a little. Then I share as much as I found and ask if anybody else knows more.

There are some smart forum members here, and often they have very good ideas, or at least very good opinions. Additionally, there is a wise ass or two.

---Bob Gross---

Laziferous
18th of June 2004 (Fri), 19:21
Being that way? Please clarify.

Am I being a wise ass? I'm sorry, I'll step aside so the wise ass population can dwindle back to one.

Okay. I'm done. I'll avoid replying to you from now on.

Good day Sir.

I said GOOD DAY!

Belmondo
18th of June 2004 (Fri), 19:55
Ummmm, errrr

Bob, I'd like you to meet my friend Laziferous.

Laziferous, I'd like you to meet my friend Bob.

You have so much in common, I'm sure you'll be great friends.

Bob, congratulations on your new L lens.
Laz, congratulations on you new L lens.

(humming)
Have either of you heard any good jokes lately?

(more humming)

Okay, I've worked my magic here. I want you two to play nicely now. :wink:

Laziferous
18th of June 2004 (Fri), 20:21
Hi Bob. Nice to meet you. Any friend of Tom's can't be all bad :wink:

robertwgross
19th of June 2004 (Sat), 00:33
Joking aside, I'm trying to understand the data protocol running through the teleconverter. I can accept taping off pins if I knew what data was being blocked.

---Bob Gross---

chris maddock
19th of June 2004 (Sat), 01:32
Joking aside, I'm trying to understand the data protocol running through the teleconverter. I can accept taping off pins if I knew what data was being blocked.

Bob,

The extra three pins are used by the teleconverter to tell the camera the resultant focal length (I think) and maximum aperture.

Because it does this, the camera knows that the max aperture with the teleconverter fitted is f8 for the 100-400 and a 1.4x, or f11 with a 2x. These are out of the AF spec for the 10D (and D30, D60) so they turn off the AF. The higher spec cameras (1D, 1DS, 1V, etc) can AF to f8 with the centre focussing point only so they stop using the other points - unless the 2x is fiitted, giving f11, when they also turn off the AF.

It's rather similar to the Sigma 170-500, which is actually f6.3 at the long end, telling the camera it is f5.6 until the time comes to stop the aperture down and take a shot, hence keeping autofocus enabled when the camera would normally turn it off.

Taping the pins stops the teleconverter advertising its presence to the camera, so all cameras will still try to focus. The D30/D60 with a 100-400 and 1.4x will be reasonably successful in good light/contrast, whilst the 10D with the same combination will be successful unless the light/contrast is pretty poor. You should be aware that the EXIF data will not be correct with regards to focal length, however.

Another thing to be aware of is that these three pins obviously do a little more than that with some lenses. Whilst my 100-400 is fine with a taped 1.4x my 70-200/f4 didn't like it at all. It hunted like crazy and hardly ever achieved focus lock. Without the tape it was as quick to focus (as far as I could tell) as without the teleconverter. The solution was to put the tape on the corresponding contacts on the back of the 100-400, now both lenses work just fine with the teleconverter.

As to the comment about burning out the AF motor, I've only heard of that once out af all the people that have done this. Whilst it is a caveat to bear in mind, my own suspicion is that it was just a coincidence or that there was something wrong with the lens beforehand and the taped teleconverter exacerbated the problem.

HTH,
Chris

defordphoto
19th of June 2004 (Sat), 07:12

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23667&highlight=teleconverter+pin s

I expected that there would be some problem with the teleconverter in dim light, but in bright light it still doesn't autofocus. Without the teleconverter, autofocus seems fine. So, I think I need to fool around with pins.

---Bob Gross---

Bob,

Even with the pins taped the lens acts whacky. It'll hunt, but it's a weird hunt. The AF motor acts weird with the pins taped. I went out and shot 1,000 shots with the pins taped. Two weeks later my lens was at Canon for AF motor replacement. The lens had been perfect before that. Was that the cause? Dunno for sure, but the lens has been fine since and I'm not trying it again on the 10D.

rick barclay
19th of June 2004 (Sat), 07:35
A little practice focusing manually might help you with your problem.
I don't use a teleconverter on my 100-400, but I've discovered with
use that auto focus is easily confused when there is a deep depth of field.
To combat this I simply switch to mf and keep one hand continuously on
the focusing ring when I'm tracking. I find with a little practice that I can
focus just as quickly this way and more effectively than by using AF,
which I've come to deem the lazy man's way of focus. I do believe AF
is best when used with the smaller, fast focusing lenses, which are much
more difficult to manipulate.

robertwgross
19th of June 2004 (Sat), 23:06
I spent about a half day today along a beach nature trail. So far, I have not taped the TC pins, but I was wanting to.

I used my 100-400mm lens with and without the TC. Of course, it would autofocus without the TC and then I had to manually focus when I put the TC on. I kept forgetting which mode I had it in, and then it would take me a minute to figure out whether it was me or it was the lens.

If it were a perfect world, there would be a switch on the TC that allowed the data to get through to the body, or not.

---Bob Gross---

Belmondo
20th of June 2004 (Sun), 00:09
I spent about a half day today along a beach nature trail. So far, I have not taped the TC pins, but I was wanting to.

I used my 100-400mm lens with and without the TC. Of course, it would autofocus without the TC and then I had to manually focus when I put the TC on. I kept forgetting which mode I had it in, and then it would take me a minute to figure out whether it was me or it was the lens.

If it were a perfect world, there would be a switch on the TC that allowed the data to get through to the body, or not.

---Bob Gross---

Okay, but how did the pictures turn out?

CyberDyneSystems
20th of June 2004 (Sun), 00:22
Hey Bob,

The tape trick is sketchy.. some times on some lenses and some cameras it will work perfectly!

Most times,.. it introduces trouble... like the weird hunting etc.. but it may "mostly" provide functional AF.. and in other cases.. it just won't worjk at all.

It's certainly worth trying it to see what results you get with your lens and camera combo.

There are a few schools of thought... so be ready to experiment.

1. Tape the left most pin only (looking at the back of the T-con)
2. Tape the left three pins
3. Do either of the above but do it to the lens.. not the T-con.

Why 3 would work any different ,. I do not know.. but the downside is of course that your aperture info will not be passed to the camera regardless...

As far as light.. it makes lno difference good or bad.. as long as the pins aren't taped.. the camera is being told that the lens aperture is smaller than f/5.6...

...at this point the camera simply will not even TRY to AF.. go figure.

robertwgross
20th of June 2004 (Sun), 02:12
This is a little helpful, but I wish I had each pin diagrammed out for function.

I hate like hell to go experimenting blindly with "tape this" or "tape that" until a solution is found.

Besides, floating pins aren't perfect. They can get gummed up by adhesive, bent, and broken.

I may have to exercise my left hand fingers to manually focus more.

For you geeks out there who know what a data breakout box is, I need to build a breakout box on the teleconverter.

---Bob Gross---

Scottes
20th of June 2004 (Sun), 04:08
Bob, I think you're over-engineering this. People have done this before, it works. Tape the pins and take a picture.

CyberDyneSystems
20th of June 2004 (Sun), 10:57
Three pins..

1. the left most (counterclockwise) is the pin that reports the lenses actual aperture to the camera

2. and 3. These two I don't know which is which.. but I know what they do. One of thwm does NOTHING.. it is there for future use,. one of them reports focal length on leses that can do this.

This is why when peolpe tape all three.. the camera still works fine :)

robertwgross
20th of June 2004 (Sun), 11:01
Okay, but how did the pictures turn out?

The new lens works fine in autofocus, and it works fine in manual focus as long as two fingers on my left hand are nimble enough. The clarity of the image makes the cost seem worthwhile (as compared to a normal lens). There are still some things that I want to understand about using the teleconverter, but it's likely I'll either get that or else get over it.

The only thing I have to get used to is the assortment of controls on the new lens. There is AF/MF, then short or long AF range. Then IS on or off. IS mode 1 or 2. Manual focus ring. Focal length is push-pull. Focal length tight or loose. I'll get over it.

The new lens balances better than any other long lens that I've used, like when I have the tripod hanging over my shoulder. The lens is heavy, but it is solidly built. I'm not disappointed.

I'll still have to make a three-foot Canon logo to stick on the side of the lens trailer.

---Bob Gross---

Tom W
20th of June 2004 (Sun), 11:29
OK, I gave the tape trick a try, as described on Fred Miranda's site using my Sigma 1.4X TC and the Canon 100-400/4.5-5.6 telephoto.
It works.....
but.....
autofocus was a little erratic. It would occasionally hunt very quickly, oscillating back and forth through the focus point. I then had to release the shutter button and retry to get focus right.

For me, I think I'll stick to manual focus until I can get more feedback from others that have done the trick with good results. The rapid back-and-forth focus oscillations bother me a bit, especially after Jim's experiences.

Lester Wareham
27th of November 2006 (Mon), 08:56

---Bob Gross---

I tried this with my 300 f4L IS and the EF 2X II on a 20D. It was basically useless and hunted never obtaining lock. The light was not the best, inside near a window. Perhaps its better in bright sun?

canuck_newbie
27th of November 2006 (Mon), 09:04
rezzed from the dead............

Lester Wareham
27th of November 2006 (Mon), 11:44
rezzed from the dead............

It was the most relevant thread the search turned up so I thought I would add my data point and get feedback on it as I kind of expected it to work. I have had quite a bit of luck with manual focus but the option would be good.

I wasn't trying for it but perhaps there is a prize for the oldest resurrected thread. :)

CyberDyneSystems
27th of November 2006 (Mon), 15:41
I've not heard any success stories of an f/4 and 2X on an f/5.6 AF camera.
The hunting is the norm even with less sever attempts (like trying f/6.3)
I've long since given up on the tape trick and do not recomend it even when it "works" due to the possible damage.