PDA

View Full Version : Filters: Hoya vs B@W?

Changeling
12th of November 2006 (Sun), 17:57
Guys, I have looked and looked at filter results!! I just have a hard time seeing any difference in Hoya and B@W UV filters, fact is, I think I like B@W more!!
I know that everyone seems to like the Hoya's, but I just don't see it!
First off the construction is brass instead of aluminum! Aluminum is great in a beer can but is not very strong, but the bottom line from my perspective is, B@W seems to have an edge in my eyes (NORMAL)! Things just seem to be more natural, hard to explain!!
So, I am getting a B@W MRC UV, unless you can give me a great argument as why I should reconsider.

Now, as for the polarizer, I am at the experts mercy!
I just don't know, because it is absolutely impossible to examine the fine details through a "computer monitor"!

As Always, give it to me straight !

Changeling

Wilt
12th of November 2006 (Sun), 18:14
The B&W filters are near the very top of the line, probably bested only by Heliopan filters (made with Schott, same glass as used in Schneider lenses ). The brass filter rings are invaluable in preventing the binding that makes filters so hard to remove from lenses, particularly the rotating rings of polarizers.

At the very top of the filter heap, I rather doubt you can visibly identify one brand from another.

Tsmith
12th of November 2006 (Sun), 18:59
I'm sorry but the construction of the material used in the Hoya Pro1 series can hardly be compared to a "beer can" ... as for the filter getting jammed on the lens even that can happen to the B+W with its brass construction. I'd imagine the same people that over tighten a Hoya could over tighten a B+W. It only takes common sense attaching either one to a lens, pretty simple feat in my book.

Although you didn't state which type Circular Polarizer your interested in, the Hoya Pro1 series (slim) does have front filter threads so your factory lens cap can be used on it. Where has the B+W does not have front threads so you'll need to keep up with their push on style filter cover for it.

As for IQ differences between the two _ show me the results cause I've yet to find any direct comparisons of the two brands.

Either way you'll be getting a Top of the Line filter choosing either one.

and welcome to POTN

Billginthekeys
12th of November 2006 (Sun), 19:02
B+W is held in higher regard then hoya, if not the highest regard for quality. hoya makes some nice filters on the high end that may be AS good as B+W in some cases, but certainly not BETTER. B+W is great stuff.

CoolToolGuy
12th of November 2006 (Sun), 19:34
The B&W filters are near the very top of the line, probably bested only by Heliopan filters (made with Schott, same glass as used in Schneider lenses ).

AFAIK, B+W are made of Schott glass as well.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogSubCategoryDisplay.aspx?CID=57

Personally, I like B+W best, but I use Hoya Pro-1 filters on my wide angle lenses. Hoya has the reputation of being hard to clean, but I have found that ROR (Residual Oil Remover) does the job quite nicely.

Have Fun,

Lightstream
12th of November 2006 (Sun), 22:17
B+W polarizer and B+W MRC UV 010's on my highest end lenses. Hoya S-HMC Pro1 and HMC on the more affordable ones. It's pretty good IMO. I match the filter to the grade of lens.

For the polarizer, buy once, cry once, especially if all your gear is 77mm compatible, and enjoy it for a long time to come. The quality is remembered long after the purchase price is forgotten, and if you must use a filter, use a good one. Good call on the B+W.

Wilt
12th of November 2006 (Sun), 22:25
... as for the filter getting jammed on the lens even that can happen to the B+W with its brass construction. I'd imagine the same people that over tighten a Hoya could over tighten a B+W. It only takes common sense attaching either one to a lens, pretty simple feat in my book.

Bluedog, it is a fact of materials science that the aluminum-aluminum mechanical connection binds to itself to a greater degree, whereas a brass-aluminum mechanical connection is to a degree self lubricating. It has little to do with overtightening the filter!...I have Olympus lenses with aluminum ring filters which I never had tightened down because I know better, yet today the filter is bound rather firmly in the lens and I have to buy filter removal tool to get them off. On the othe hand my B+W removes easily!

Tsmith
12th of November 2006 (Sun), 23:21
Wilt firstly thanks for the science knowledge _ after working in the Mechanical piping industry most of my adult life I've dealt extensively with all kinds of metal alloy piping. Over tightening can play a significant part in threads becoming jammed, no matter what the alloy is. Unfortunately every person in his or her own mind has to determine the proper procedure. Temperature changes can cause expansion and contracting leading to a problem, again in most any alloys and the very reason not to leave a filter attached all the time. Both filters brands are painted black anyway so the actual metal surfaces are never actually coming in contact with one another.

Although I do have UV filters they don't get used unless the conditions would warrant their use on any of my lens.

Lester Wareham
13th of November 2006 (Mon), 12:32
Guys, I have looked and looked at filter results!! I just have a hard time seeing any difference in Hoya and B@W UV filters, fact is, I think I like B@W more!!
I know that everyone seems to like the Hoya's, but I just don't see it!
First off the construction is brass instead of aluminum! Aluminum is great in a beer can but is not very strong, but the bottom line from my perspective is, B@W seems to have an edge in my eyes (NORMAL)! Things just seem to be more natural, hard to explain!!
So, I am getting a B@W MRC UV, unless you can give me a great argument as why I should reconsider.

Now, as for the polarizer, I am at the experts mercy!
I just don't know, because it is absolutely impossible to examine the fine details through a "computer monitor"!

As Always, give it to me straight !

Changeling

The B+W MRC quote a reflectance or 0.5% and the Hoya SHMC of 0.3%, but who knows how each company tests them. Both made of optical glass double coated both side. B+W specify Schott glass but I suspect it does not make much difference, there are probably only a handfull of optical glass manufactures in the world.

The only significant difference seems to be the mount as you observe, brass instead of aluminimum. Aparantly this is ment to stop them sticking in the lens although I have never understood why.

Considering the lens thread is probably some aluminium based lightweight alloy and definatly not brass I would have thought putting two dissimilar metals together would be problematic from the electrovoltaic point of view - any mechanical engineers here?

I use the Hoya, but they are much easier to get hold of in the UK than the B+W, more significanly my normal web supplier does not sell B+W. The B+W seems to be more widely available in the USA.

Considering how hard it is to tell the difference if you do or don't have a good quality filter, I suspect telling B+W and Hoya apart to be almost impossible.