PDA

View Full Version : A matter of timing

buddy4344
17th of November 2006 (Fri), 15:16
Okay - I am going to Botswana in July on Safari. I have concluded to buy a new body for the trip (currently have the Original digi Rebel 300D). I have decided that if I bought today, I would buy a 30D over the XTI.

I am buying some new lens now - with the sale, but am ok with shooting with my older camera through the winter IF SOMETHING BETTER IS COMING

Now the question: Do I buy the 30D now, or wait until late spring in hopes that a 40D with more features (like the self clean sensor of XTi)/pixels comes out?

calicokat
17th of November 2006 (Fri), 15:19
Buy the 30D now and enjoy it :)

ScottE
17th of November 2006 (Fri), 21:01
Unless you need a new camera now, keep on using the one you have for as long as possible. The trend with DSLR's is still one of incremental improvement and more competitive pricing so the longer you wait, the better and the upgrade is likely to be.

rklepper
18th of November 2006 (Sat), 22:10
If you wait for the latest and greatest, you will always be waiting. Think of all the fun you are missing out on while you wait.

Juan Zas
20th of November 2006 (Mon), 03:47
I suppose there are different cases. I have a 350D that still is "quite virgin" and I am not in a hurry. Now I know some limitations (that is the reason to upgarde) and still I have to improve my skills.

I have to take care of my investments and also my budget is not so high to go into "pro" bodies. So I prefer to planify it and personally I shall wait until new models are comming out. As I have told before "My birthday´s present still is for comming (last Feb´07)" :D :lol: :D

I hope Canon colaborate to my present giving me some surprise :rolleyes: :lol:

SilentL
20th of November 2006 (Mon), 21:19
Do I buy the 30D now, or wait until late spring in hopes that a 40D ?

Same stituation and camera 350D as you, my answer wait like what i'm doing right now.

JF1980
6th of December 2006 (Wed), 18:08
Same stituation and camera 350D as you, my answer wait like what i'm doing right now.

That also depends on whether you are selling the 350D to pay for part of the upgrade? If you are then don't forget that after xmas the 350D will be worth even less than it is now. Why? Lots of people will have gotten the 400D for Christmas and will be trying to sell their old 350D.

I've decided to go the other way, I've just sold the 350D kit I had and am buying a 30D body and 24-70 lens to go with it. Like someone else said there will always be something better pending--the 30D is pretty nicely priced now with a £100 rebate. I would guess most people change their camera body every 2 years or so anyway, better not to buy it right upon release; let them iron the bugs out first.

Just my opinion.

DrPablo
6th of December 2006 (Wed), 18:51
Spray your clothing with permethrin before you go (in addition, of course, to malaria prophylaxis, bug repellant, water safety, and travel vaccines). There's a nasty tick-borne illness in southern Africa (esp near the South Africa / Botswana border) called African tick bite fever that loves to infect people who go on safaris there. It's very seldom dangerous, but very few American doctors would recognize it. Spraying with permethrin will kill ticks, mosquitos, and other bugs that get on your clothing.

JF1980
7th of December 2006 (Thu), 03:35
Hehe, what about dracunculiasis; worms growing under your skin? ;)

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinea_worm)

ScottE
7th of December 2006 (Thu), 22:41
My daughter is working in Uganda and just completed her treatment for bilharzia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilharzia

My wife caught it when she was living Zimbabwe. Don't wade in still water. Bilharzia is bad, but not nearlly as bad as a croc bite.

DrPablo
7th of December 2006 (Thu), 23:06
dracunculiasis has nearly been eradicated, thankfully. there has been an extremely successful campaign against it; I think there were only around 10,000cases in 9 or 10 endemic countries last year.

http://www.who.int/dracunculiasis/epidemiology/en/

Schistosomiasis (aka bilharzia) is a different story, it remains the most important helminthic (worm) infection in the world, kills hundreds of thousands of people a year throughout the tropics. I've seen a couple cases of it in West Africa. You're right -- stay out of Lake Malawi, Lake Victoria, the Nile, etc.

ScottE
9th of December 2006 (Sat), 00:03
The OP is headed to Botswana, which can have some really annoying tsetse fly infestations. They make life really miserable, don't seem to care whether you use repellant or not and can carry sleeping sickness. The bites hurt too.

Be prepared to be sprayed with insecticide when you fly out of a tsetse fly country. The stewardess on our last flight had a neat line, "We are going to spray the cabin with insecticide now. If you object, please hold your breath." They then proceeded to walk down both aisles from one end of the plane to the other holding an aerosol can of insecticide in each hand with the button held down. Air Zimbabwe was a little more environmentally friendly. They used the old fashioned pump action spray guns instead to the aerosol propelled type. I wondered if they were still using DDT.

DrPablo
9th of December 2006 (Sat), 00:21
Yes, it's true, though African trypanosomiasis (sleeping sickness), which is transmitted by tse-tse flies, is exceptionally rare in travellers. That said I saw plenty of them in Ghana. Its burden to Africans, on the other hand, is tremendous. One of my colleagues in my department just published a study she did in the Dem. Republic of Congo showing that the disease burden of sleeping sickness in DRC may even exceed that of tuberculosis.

If they're not using DDT they should be. When used for indoor spraying you can make huge strides at reducing malaria transmission, and with essentially no exposure to the environment. Only a tiny fraction is used compared with the 1950s and before when they used it for agriculture -- and it's never been definitively shown to cause human disease. A number of different insecticides are used for indoor spraying, and unfortunately most alternatives to DDT are just too expensive for African countries to implement.