PDA

View Full Version : Still life critiques wanted

alwayslooking
28th of January 2004 (Wed), 22:03
Greetings all G3 lovers,

This image is lit from the upper rear right with an ambient mid-morning diffused light (from a window). Front lighting is achieved by a bounce of the same light with white foamcore.

I would appreciate your comments and suggestions regarding what, if anything, would improve the image.
:)

http://www.shutterfreaks.com/albums/album136/porcelain_doll.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Phil

roanjohn
29th of January 2004 (Thu), 01:41
I think the background is too harsh...........It doesn't do anything complementary to the beautiful light hues of this object.

Very cute though.........

Ro1

Basiltoo
29th of January 2004 (Thu), 05:59
Excellent! Exif please. How did you achieve such a dark background?

alwayslooking
29th of January 2004 (Thu), 09:02
I think the background is too harsh...........It doesn't do anything complementary to the beautiful light hues of this object.

Very cute though.........

Ro1

I think you are very correct. I realized this only later. The shot also does nothing to bring out dimensionality. I was focusing so hard on front lighting that I lost track of these factors.

Thanks for commenting.

Phil

alwayslooking
29th of January 2004 (Thu), 09:15
Excellent! Exif please. How did you achieve such a dark background?

Thank you for the kind words.

Your request for EXIF leads me to a question... I don't use zoombrowser because I have problems with uploading. I see EXIF in Adobe Elements browser but I can't copy it. Is there another way to get this out of Elements?

Here is some info: ISO 50, Aperture 3.0, SS 1/3 sec. Onboard macro, mounted on tripod. Using a black velvet background. NOTE: The background is completely isolated from the light source.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Phil

PacAce
29th of January 2004 (Thu), 12:51
Just my 2 cents...

The picture would probably look better without the distracting "white" reflections on the "model".

Also, the lighting should probably be adjusted to give a little more dimension to the subject by way of highlights (but not reflections) and shadow.

alwayslooking
29th of January 2004 (Thu), 13:32
Just my 2 cents...

The picture would probably look better without the distracting "white" reflections on the "model".

Thanks Leo,

The problem with the white reflections is why I asked for help. The light coming in was diffuse and then (I thought) a bounce back of the same light off matte finish foamcore would soften it again.

I chose this model because it has a high gloss glaze. I knew it would be tough. Any suggestions to further soften the light would be appreciated.

Phil

civis
29th of January 2004 (Thu), 14:37
Perhaps a budget solution like this:

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box

alwayslooking
29th of January 2004 (Thu), 15:13
Perhaps a budget solution like this:

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box

Thanks so much! :D This looks like a super idea.

Phil

IainB
29th of January 2004 (Thu), 16:23
Where is your picture? After the text, this message shows but no image?

(FORUM INFO: image size as posted, 646x800)

Why is that? :?:

alwayslooking
29th of January 2004 (Thu), 17:06
Where is your picture? After the text, this message shows but no image?

(FORUM INFO: image size as posted, 646x800)

Why is that? :?:

Hi,

The picture is loading OK for me. I am not sure what the message you are getting means. I have never seen a message like that.

You are the first I have heard of that can't see the image. Maybe your ISP is blocking?? The image is a bit large.

Maybe the caretaker for the forum can help.

Sorry I can't

Phil

phili1
29th of January 2004 (Thu), 17:30
I just tried a similar shot white Bisque on a black background without blowing it out.

I tried bouncing and got to many hot spots , so I tried a different approch.

I used my 540 Ez flash with a paper plate bounce attachment and it eliminated the hot spots.

When you are shooting into a mirror to eliminate the refelection you put the flash on a 45 degree angle.

Because its so glossy maybe try that.

PacAce
29th of January 2004 (Thu), 18:58
Thanks Leo,

The problem with the white reflections is why I asked for help. The light coming in was diffuse and then (I thought) a bounce back of the same light off matte finish foamcore would soften it again.

I chose this model because it has a high gloss glaze. I knew it would be tough. Any suggestions to further soften the light would be appreciated.

Phil

Hi, Phil,

I couldn't find a figurine as reflective as yours as a model but I was able to find two that were reflective enough for illustration purposes. When placed in the kitchen, the overhead lights were reflecting off the figurines and showing up as white spots. You could tell that they were the overhead lights because of the shape of the spots.

What I did was use something to shield the figurines from the overhead light and that eliminated the "hot spots". But then, there wasn't enough light to photograph the figurines without going into time exposures.

I next attached a flash to the camera and pointed the flash up at the ceiling. This of course resulted in the hot spots again. I next put a piece of cardboard in front of the flash to shield the direct flash light from the figurine. Better this time but the shot looked kind of flat.

I got the best result when I turned off the flash (a 550EX) and used it as a master. I then laid a 420EX in slave mode at the other side of the kitchen with the kitchen table shielding the 420EX from the figurines. I pointed the 420EX at the ceiling and the wall behind and to the right of me.

This is the result I got. Not the best, I know, but hopefully it'll serve the purpose of illustrating what I was talking about using the highlights and the shadows to add some kind of dimension to the figurines.

http://www.tanseikai.com/tanseikai/images/eos10d/reflective%20figurine.jpg

alwayslooking
29th of January 2004 (Thu), 21:48
I just tried a similar shot white Bisque on a black background without blowing it out.

I tried bouncing and got to many hot spots , so I tried a different approch.

Thanks for the ideas. Problem is I don't have anything but the onboard flash. So, I going to have to work with tungsten.

Phil

alwayslooking
29th of January 2004 (Thu), 21:59
Hi Leo,

Thanks so much for taking the time to demonstrate.

For some crazy reason I sold my 100 watt second light kit just before I got the G3 so flash is not available at the moment.

Your images are great! They are inspirational.

Here's the thing, I built the light box that Civis referred to BUT now I can't seem to get that super sharpness. I think the morning light was more specular than I realized. My guess is that it really helped the CCD capture the sharpness of the image.

Even with manual focus I just can't get sharpness.... yet!

Need to wait for that morning light and try again.

Phil

cowman345
31st of January 2004 (Sat), 15:11
You asked for a critique of a still life, so forgive me for being hypercritical. Technically, this photo is good, but honestly, is it really a still life? It's just a documentary shot of a porcelain figure. This is more like a product shot or something along those lines.

-dave-

alwayslooking
31st of January 2004 (Sat), 17:19
You asked for a critique of a still life, so forgive me for being hypercritical. Technically, this photo is good, but honestly, is it really a still life? It's just a documentary shot of a porcelain figure. This is more like a product shot or something along those lines.

-dave-

Hi Dave,

Thanks for taking a look and offering comments. :)

I'm no expert on the absolute definition of still life but my impression is that it includes any inanimate object.

Do a google search for "still life photography" and you will see many examples of what I mean.

Maybe, in the art world, the definition is different.

Hopefully we will get other opinions.

Phil

4walls
31st of January 2004 (Sat), 23:36
Thanks for the ideas. Problem is I don't have anything but the onboard flash. So, I going to have to work with tungsten.Do yourself a favour and buy an EX flash unit. Your pictures will take on a whole new dimension... the quality goes from 4MP point and shoot to (I was going to say professional) near studio quality (with some practice).

If you are on a tight budget, watch eBay for the 380EX. This unit is a little less powerful than the 420 and it does not swivel, but it is a great unit. Around $100 on eBay.

alwayslooking
1st of February 2004 (Sun), 22:52
Do yourself a favour and buy an EX flash unit. Your pictures will take on a whole new dimension... the quality goes from 4MP point and shoot to (I was going to say professional) near studio quality (with some practice).

Thanks, I'll look into this. Not sure if I can afford it right away though.

Phil

4walls
2nd of February 2004 (Mon), 20:00
Thanks, I'll look into this. Not sure if I can afford it right away though.PhilQuestion really is, can you afford NOT to... :wink:

alwayslooking
3rd of February 2004 (Tue), 09:47
Thanks, I'll look into this. Not sure if I can afford it right away though.PhilQuestion really is, can you afford NOT to... :wink:

Hi 4walls,

I know, I know .... but, really, I would want three! Gotta have those slaves!

Phil