PDA

View Full Version : How long do I charge the battery the first time?

zenpro
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 00:19
Hi guys,

I finally got the 30D + 70-200 f4 L. I haven't taken a single pic yet, as the battery is recharing. How long should I let it charge for the first time? The clerk told me that I should leave it for 3 hours the first time. Is this correct? (I trust you more than the clerk).

I'm quite satisfied.

ironbelle
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 00:26
I would make sure the batteries are fully charged before using them. I've always charged batteries overnight because I never trusted that a battery would be fully charged in 1 hour or 3 hours. I would definately try to make sure I don't charge batteries until they are drained fully. I ruined my first cellphone battery by always having it in the charger even when it was fully charged. Now I leave my cellphone on until the battery is fully drained or there, then I put the battery on the charger. I just charged my 2nd battery two nights ago and pulled it out of the charger to use it for the first time. I just used my 30D for the first time taking some self portraits and getting used to the camera. Just my .02

Choderboy
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 00:30
Did you lose your manual?
I just followed the Canon recommendations (forgot now).

zenpro
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 00:32
Did you lose your manual?
I just followed the Canon recommendations (forgot now).

The manual speaks about 100 minutes charge, but doesn't specify anything about the first charge.;)

Choderboy
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 00:38
Just charge normally then. I notice they mention precautions about temperature and storing, so I'm sure they would have specified if the first charge needed special treatment.

Hermeto
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 00:38
Just charge it regularly - till the charger light turns green.

RgB
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 01:05
Congrats on a great kit:D

RgB
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 01:06
Hi guys,

I finally got the 30D + 70-200 f4 L. I haven't taken a single pic yet, as the battery is recharing. How long should I let it charge for the first time? The clerk told me that I should leave it for 3 hours the first time. Is this correct? (I trust you more than the clerk).

I'm quite satisfied.

It's about right but do check the manual

Julio
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 05:49
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

John T
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 06:11
The manual speaks about 100 minutes charge, but doesn't specify anything about the first charge.;)
Oh dear! Please read the manual completely! It goes on to say that in order to ensure a full charge, you should continue charging for 1 hour after the "fully charged" light comes on.

::Lisa::
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 06:12
Just charge it regularly - till the charger light turns green.Exactly what I did when I bought my XT.

sandpiper
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 07:20
Oh dear! Please read the manual completely! It goes on to say that in order to ensure a full charge, you should continue charging for 1 hour after the "fully charged" light comes on.

Pretty much what I did. I also never recharge a battery that is only partly used, I always use it until the camera tells me it's dead before recharging.

Hellashot
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 07:30
Pretty much what I did. I also never recharge a battery that is only partly used, I always use it until the camera tells me it's dead before recharging.

Li-ion batteries do not have memories like Ni-Cads did. Charging a partially used battery will do no harm for Li-ion or NiMH batteries.

Hermeto
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 07:33
John T, can you tell us where exactly, on which page of the Manual did you find that?
That’s exactly opposite of what is recommended for Lithium Ion batteries:

Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

John T
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 07:40
John T, can you tell us where exactly, on which page of the Manual did you find that?

Certainly! Page 23.

tumblew33d
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 07:49
Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

Sound advice. Keep you Li batteries topped up, deep cycle your Ni batteries when possible.

Hermeto
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 08:16
Certainly! Page 23.

Hmm, interesting!
I am just looking at page 23 of 30D manual and you are certainly right.
I have Rebel XT and there is nothing like that in my manual.

I guess that's the difference between 30Dís BP-511 and XTís NB-2LH batteries.

Since the OP was about 30D I must say that you were right and I was wrong..
Thanks!

John T
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 08:48
I guess that's the difference between 30Dís BP-511 and XTís NB-2LH batteries.
You could be right - even tho they seem to be similar batteries - I've just checked the handbook of my old 300D (which uses the same batteries as the 30D) and that makes the same recommendation (on pages 19/19).

I've also read elsewhere (the Canon site?) about the advisability of the "1 hour extra charge" apparently it "consolidates" the charge. Maybe worthwhile doing it in any case?

Hermeto
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 09:02
Correct me if I am wrong, but I donít think that first charging is a really great, big issue these days.

Iíve never heard of any Canon dSLR user who suffered from low capacity problems with either battery.
Both Canon original and Steringtek aftermarket batteries proved to be reliable and keep charge for a long time.

sandpiper
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 09:35
Thatís exactly opposite of what is recommended for Lithium Ion batteries:

Fair enough, I must be doing it wrong but my batteries are two years old and have been recharged many, many times. They still seem to go on forever, I can have the camera switched on for 6-8 hours and take 1500+ shots on a battery, even after 2 years use. I guess it just shows how resilient they are.

Photolistic
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 20:28
Doing this you are harming your battery and making the battery life shorter. You should charge you battery after each use. The more your battery is fully charged (when in regular use) the longer battery life you will have.

Photolistic
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 20:29
Same thing with cell phone batteries. If possible I charge before halfway dead. (same with laptop)

Photolistic
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 20:32
There is No need to do this. Once the green light comes on the battery id fully charged and the charger is not doing anything. There is no trickle charges for lipo and lion batteries. I do not know why the manual says that..... :rolleyes:

zenpro
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 20:44

John I've read that, but I was wondering if the first time more recharge was required. Apparently not, but the manual should say that.

John T
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 21:06
There is No need to do this. Once the green light comes on the battery id fully charged and the charger is not doing anything. There is no trickle charges for lipo and lion batteries. I do not know why the manual says that..... :rolleyes:
I think you'll find you are referring to a different charger ;)

John T
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 21:09
John I've read that, but I was wondering if the first time more recharge was required. Apparently not, but the manual should say that.

I don't really know either! Out of habit and 'cos the "book" says so, I always leave mine "cooking" for a while after the light stops blinking!

Photolistic
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 21:45
There is no such think as a trickle charge for a lithium battery..... if there was batterys would be blowing up all over!

I think you'll find you are referring to a different charger ;)

Brodog2525
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 23:05
Hi guys,

I finally got the 30D + 70-200 f4 L. I haven't taken a single pic yet, as the battery is recharing.
I'm quite satisfied.

COMON EVERYONE, why everyone is checking their manuals and reading scientific stuff???

this guy just got his 30D and 70-200mm L!!!! i charged my battery for 20 minutes when I got my 30D........because i was so excited!!!

woah, sorry im done

Hermeto
19th of November 2006 (Sun), 23:13
LOL, I tried my camera right away, without charging it at all! :D
Interestingly, battery had some small charge, just enough to power up camera, auto focus and fire a couple of shots..

Photolistic
20th of November 2006 (Mon), 05:06
I think most of us did!!! I know i was trigger happy :) but I just took a couple of shots then charged it, but the factory tests them before they leave too so it cant be that bad.

Accentor
20th of November 2006 (Mon), 13:52
Oddly enough, I recently bought a new phone (Motorola SLVR L7) at the Vodafone shop. I was told by the salesman that, irrespective of what the Motorola instruction manual said (!!) I should give the battery a first charge of 12 hours. Knowing about the differences between Ni-Cd and Li-ion batteries I asked him why. He couldn't give me an answer other than "that's what we recommend". I pressed him on this as to "who" was making the recommendation, Vodafone or Motorola, and why. He was reduced to a quivering mess after about 30 minutes, so I dropped the inquisition.

I did give the battery an overnight charge of 12 hours. The manual says 2 hours and adds that it does no harm to leave the phone on the charger, that you cannot damage it by overcharging. I wasn't happy about the performance of the battery which should have lasted about 10 days on stand-by. After 6 days it went from fully charges (3 bars) to zilch in a couple of hours.

Bought another battery (Motorola original) and this time gave it a three hour charge. Works a treat and outlasts the original battery by 100%.

Temperamental things batteries, just like Vodafone salesmen!! :lol: