PDA

View Full Version : CP-E3 not working

Yella Fella
28th of November 2006 (Tue), 12:17
please tell me you can run this unit without batteries in the 580EX? Or would I need 12 batteries in total? not at home so cant check manual... but i remembered (when skimming it) that you put batteries in powerpack, plug it in and turn on the flash... but i get nothing :(

unless i do need batteries in the 580EX!! but doesnt that beat the whole object of having more batteries, technically speaking ;)

Dante King
28th of November 2006 (Tue), 12:29
You do need the batteries in the flash. It defeats nothing by having them. You will soon grow to love this unit.

TeeJay
28th of November 2006 (Tue), 12:33
as Dante says, you do indeed need batteries in the flash unit; the batteries in the flash head power the display & electronics, and the ones in the CP-E3 power the, well.... flash.

Yella Fella
28th of November 2006 (Tue), 12:34
omg im such a muppet lol... 12 batteries, thats major power!

scottbergerphoto
28th of November 2006 (Tue), 12:58
I suggest you also set Cfn.7 on the 580EX to "1". This will cause it to use the power from the battery pack alone to power the flash output and not the batteries in the flash as well.

Yella Fella
28th of November 2006 (Tue), 13:33
is there big difference in power recharge from 12 down to 8? anyone know of precise figures?

TeeJay
28th of November 2006 (Tue), 14:42
Scott, having a 550Ex (rather than 580) I was under the impression that the flash head needed the batteries irrespective, to power the electronics. If using the power pack on its own for the 580Ex, can the battery compartment simply left empty?

TJ

scottbergerphoto
29th of November 2006 (Wed), 07:48
Scott, having a 550Ex (rather than 580) I was under the impression that the flash head needed the batteries irrespective, to power the electronics. If using the power pack on its own for the 580Ex, can the battery compartment simply left empty?

TJ
Unfortunately, no. There are two separate circuits, low and high voltage.
Both the 550EX and the 580EX require batteries in the flash head to run the flash electronics (low voltage). The 580EX gives you the option via CFn. 7, to use only the external power pack to power the actual flash burst (high voltage). The 550EX, while having high and low voltage circuits, doesn't offer that option, so the batteries in the head as well as the batteries in the external pack are powering the flash burst. I hope that clears up that up.

TeeJay
29th of November 2006 (Wed), 07:57
That's clear now, thanks Scott, I didn't realise the 580Ex had that greater flexibility.

scottbergerphoto
29th of November 2006 (Wed), 08:01
That's clear now, thanks Scott, I didn't realise the 580Ex had that greater flexibility.

Neither did I, until I broke down and read the Manual.:D

Lightstream
30th of November 2006 (Thu), 04:43
Unfortunately, no. There are two separate circuits, low and high voltage.
Both the 550EX and the 580EX require batteries in the flash head to run the flash electronics (low voltage). The 580EX gives you the option via CFn. 7, to use only the external power pack to power the actual flash burst (high voltage). The 550EX, while having high and low voltage circuits, doesn't offer that option, so the batteries in the head as well as the batteries in the external pack are powering the flash burst. I hope that clears up that up.

Hope you don't mind me asking.. is there any reason why you use that CFn to use only the CP-E3? I initially assumed that with 12 batteries charging the flash it would recycle faster than using just the CP-E3 alone, unless there's something wrong with my assumption and the flash doesn't work that way.

scottbergerphoto
30th of November 2006 (Thu), 09:09
Hope you don't mind me asking.. is there any reason why you use that CFn to use only the CP-E3? I initially assumed that with 12 batteries charging the flash it would recycle faster than using just the CP-E3 alone, unless there's something wrong with my assumption and the flash doesn't work that way.

I don't understand your question. I leave my 580EX on CFn.7-1 all the time, whether I'm using a Quantum battery pack or not. When I am using an external battery pack, I don't have to worry about replacing the 4 internal batteries as they are just being used to power the internal electronics and not the flash output. The CPE3 uses AA batteries like the flash does. Quantum Turbo Compact battery packs are sealed NiMh packs.