PDA

View Full Version : About to buy a CP.. would you choose the Hoya Pro or B+W?

Ryan93se
8th of December 2006 (Fri), 15:37
ive done alot of research for my upcoming 17-40... both are about the same price however both have their advantages. the Hoya Pro1 series can handle the lens cap but the B+W has arguably better quality and a brass setting. what would you choose?

JNunn
8th of December 2006 (Fri), 16:51
ive done alot of research for my upcoming 17-40... both are about the same price however both have their advantages. the Hoya Pro1 series can handle the lens cap but the B+W has arguably better quality and a brass setting. what would you choose?

B+W and Heliopan are generally considered to be the best available. They use Schott glass. I have the thin B+W on my 17-40 and haven't had a problem.

Tsmith
8th of December 2006 (Fri), 17:00
I've yet to see any samples depicting the IQ of one being better than the other and never have I had an issue with a filter getting stuck on a lens, finger tight is all it takes. The front filter threads on the Hoya Pro1 series does it for me.

Bill Roberts
8th of December 2006 (Fri), 17:25
Personally for a CPL I'd prefer Heliopan, B+W or Hoya in that order. There's probably no discernable difference in image quality though. The reasons being that both Heliopan and B+W use brass mounts rather than the Hoyas alluminium and I find both the Heliopan and B+W easier to clean (the Hoya tends to leave streaks... at least for me). The thing that just tips the balance in the Heliopans favour is the graduated marks on the outer rim which can be useful at times. But I'm really being picky there! In reality you won't got far wrong with any of that three.

cheers
Bill

Jon
8th of December 2006 (Fri), 17:36
I'm buying B+W now, although that's as much to have a common colour balance as anything else. For the 17-40 on a 350D you needn't worry about getting a thin one; they're really for use with ultrawides, which the 17-40 isn't on APS-C.

JKSeidel
8th of December 2006 (Fri), 21:34
Hoya had a problem a few years back where their filter cases outgassed and caused irreparable streaking and fogging of their filters. I've never heard if they've ever corrected that issue, so I avoid Hoya filters. Also, Hoya's use of aluminum mounts can cause the issue of similar metal binding, making it difficult to remove the filters. I always use Heliopan or B+W filters because of their known quality and lack of the issues mentioned above.

T.D.
8th of December 2006 (Fri), 21:38
I've never had a Hoya, but I do have the B+W. It's really nice. Very solid. You won't go wrong with this one.

Wilt
9th of December 2006 (Sat), 14:01
For a CP, like Bill Roberts my vote is with B+W because of the brass ring construction, as brass does not bind to aluminum like aluminum ring does.

René Damkot
9th of December 2006 (Sat), 14:35
B+W MRC

Dchemist
9th of December 2006 (Sat), 15:34
I like the construction of the B&W - solid feel.

Ryan93se
9th of December 2006 (Sat), 16:36
so if you are using the B&W do you take it off or use a soft cap when the camera isnt in use? thanks for everyones thoughts....

Ryan93se
9th of December 2006 (Sat), 16:51
also.... so since im not full frame does that mean i dont need the pro 1 series and i could get this http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=728753/search=77mm+hoya

Tsmith
9th of December 2006 (Sat), 21:55
also.... so since im not full frame does that mean i dont need the pro 1 series and i could get this http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=728753/search=77mm+hoya

If going with the Hoya brand I'd suggest the Hoya Pro 1 Digital 77mm Circular Polarizer from The Filter Connection (http://www.2filter.com/hoya/hoya_pro1_digital.html)for $122.21 with free shipping (put the item in your cart to see discounted pricing). I've bought all mine from them with confidence and super good pricing for buying in the US.

Its the multicoated slim type so if you do go Full Frame one day you won't have to buy another filter.

DavidW
10th of December 2006 (Sun), 10:07
I've got a 77mm B+W slim Kasemann circular polariser that I use with my EF 16-35mm f/2.8L. There's a picture of the setup in this post (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1641309). Whilst I don't need a slim filter with my 20D, I'm interested in a full frame body at some point, so that leaves my options open. The push-on lens cap that B+W supply isn't bad, though I tend not to leave the polariser on the lens anyway.

David

Jon
10th of December 2006 (Sun), 17:13
so if you are using the B&W do you take it off or use a soft cap when the camera isnt in use? thanks for everyones thoughts....Polarizers will cost you 1-1/2 to 2 stops. Unless I actually need one, it's stored in my bag, not on my lens. The only type filter I'd consider for leaving on-camera during day-to-day use is a UV. Same selection criteria will apply for those as for a polarizer.