PDA

View Full Version : Shooting sport with fixed focal length

Apemaster
11th of December 2006 (Mon), 11:54
Hi,
I'm looking for a bit of advice now that I'm planning on upgrading my kit. I've been shooting cross country running with my 70-200 f/4L for a while now, and it isn't cutting it. I'm havin to bump up the ISO to 1600 and the banding and noise that results isn't pretty, even when reduced with photoshop. I think I need a new lens ;)

A was wondering how difficult it is to catch action with a prime? I'm looking at the 135mm f/2.0 in particular; the price is very attractive and it seems to get good write-ups. Is this a sensible option, or would selling the 70-200 f/4 and buying a f/2.8 be a better option? f/2.0 sure would be handy, I'm often shooting against some messy backgrounds...

Thanks for any advice...:D

SYS
11th of December 2006 (Mon), 12:17
Can't go wrong with either 135 or 70-200 f/2.8 (especially with IS) for cross-country running, so the question is what ELSE would you most likely to shoot other than CC? Also, if the versatility issue is big enough for you, then I'd go with 70-200 f/2.8.

Apemaster
11th of December 2006 (Mon), 12:27
I'm hoping to do some diving photos at some point next year; also some track and field... pretty similar stuff I guess, although the diving will be indoors so I might need that extra stop with the 135... I've just never shot with a long prime before, so I'm not sure how it'll turn out... Cheers for the advice...

SYS
11th of December 2006 (Mon), 12:45
I'm hoping to do some diving photos at some point next year; also some track and field... pretty similar stuff I guess, although the diving will be indoors so I might need that extra stop with the 135... I've just never shot with a long prime before, so I'm not sure how it'll turn out... Cheers for the advice...

135 for indoor diving would be better UNLESS it turns out to be too long on a 1.6 crop body (216mm!). For CC, T&F AND indoor diving, I'd also look into 85 f/1.8 and use the money saved for something else.