PDA

View Full Version : Useing histogram to properly expose.

Nick_b
13th of December 2006 (Wed), 11:43
First, I'm sorry if this has been discussed to death before but I couldn't find anything of relevence in my search.

I would like some tips on useing the histogram to check exposure while at a concert. I find the display on the camera to be useless for anything except composition.

Also what what are you guys useing to calibrate your monitors?

Thanks in advance, I've got a show on Friday to shoot so I'm going to try and get some well exposed shots for once.

Curtis N
13th of December 2006 (Wed), 11:52
Have you read the Luminous Landscape article on understanding histograms? That would be a good place to start.

Histograms need to be read, then interpreted. Figuring out what each spike represents is the key, and this takes some practice. It helps to watch for "blinkies" on the screen, too. When your subject is standing in front of a dark curtain, the histogram of a properly exposed shot will look totally different than the same subject in front of a bright backdrop.

René Damkot
13th of December 2006 (Wed), 12:38
I try to expose so that the highlights *just* don't blow. I use highlightwarning more then the histogram.
It might help to set the camera display to the darkest setting (which will still be too bright).
On monitor calibration: Monaco Optix XR pro.

Nick_b
13th of December 2006 (Wed), 12:43
Thanks, I'll take a look at that article. I'm curious to know if any of you use the histogram and what method you use to interpret it.

Rene, thanks I have my screen set full bright so I can actually see something on it but I will experiment with that. I haven't used highlight warning before either I'll have to do some manual reading. thanks.

johnstoy
13th of December 2006 (Wed), 19:05
Say Nick,

I use the Histogram, to check for light and dark readings and occasionally for color saturation...

However, in my opinion the Performing Arts section is the smallest topic area of this forum...We usually have 10-25 viewers at any given time in this entire section....Many are just lookers who can't even post here...

Your best bet for a good detailed answer is to post this thread in the Camera Section of the forum...Right now there are 268 viewers in that section participating, many whom will be able to help you...
Post this question there...give it a try and tell us how you did...

John

Nick_b
13th of December 2006 (Wed), 20:12
Thanks John, I was hoping for some application specific advice, and I've got a great deal of respect for all of you who post here. I'll have a look at some tutorials and do some experimentation on Friday. I'll make sure to post some of my work on the weekend.

Thanks

johnstoy
13th of December 2006 (Wed), 20:21
Thanks John, I was hoping for some application specific advice, and I've got a great deal of respect for all of you who post here. I'll have a look at some tutorials and do some experimentation on Friday. I'll make sure to post some of my work on the weekend.
Thanks

Sounds good Nick...I'd post the same thread in the camera section...there are still 203 viewers in the EOS Camera section right now...why, by morning you might get a dozen responses...
Half of us are usually there anyway...

But I do understand...that it would be perfect to hear it regarding "application specific" like low light concert venue...
Checking the histogram on the fly...Cool...lets see what happens...

Later John

pxl8
14th of December 2006 (Thu), 08:47
Quite a lot can be learnt by looking at the histogram from shots taken in similar conditions as the ones you're looking to shoot with...

johnstoy
14th of December 2006 (Thu), 23:36
Nick_b, I copied this posting from the Camera section of this forum...It has a great link to the Histogram discussion...

here it is:
Nick_b,

This thread link is just, awesome ...be prepared to study it for detailed information from some heavy weight's in the business and in this forum...

One of those responding in this linked thread is PacAce...
I met PacAce at my local theater concert venue...he is a moderator here...and a seasoned professional...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonni
I'm surprised no one has suggested this thread: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ad.php?t=66836

Thanks Yonni, for sharing this thread link with us...It is super...I immediately added it to my Favorite Links in the Canon Folder, for further study ...

John

kmb
15th of December 2006 (Fri), 06:07
There's the matter of clipped color channels. This is why in concert situations I often find the overexposure warning (blinking parts of the images) - it only tells when the luminosity is overexposed. When theres just blue light, and no green or red components in it, the clipped blue parts of the pictures will not blink, as the luminosity of these parts is nowhere near the luminosity of pure white.

Therefore the blinking display is only useful to me when it blinks (then overexposure is certain). If nothing blinks (or if only insignificant parts such as light sources in the frame blink) then I still have to try to figure from the color histograms whether the image is usable.

To be frank, I try to look at the LCD of the camera as little as possible. I think that time can be spent better searching for opportunities for better pictures. I often go with evaluative metering and about -1 - -1/3 EC (depending on the amount of backlight and "backsmoke"), and just have faith that there will be enough correclty exposed pictures (shooting RAW helps a great deal in this sense). After all, I don't really want to know if an already taken picture is improperly exposed if I can't correct it based on the information the camera gives - as I usually can't since where I shoot the lights are typically always changing (it's better to try to estimate the best settings based on the current situation rather than previous pictures).

johnstoy
15th of December 2006 (Fri), 20:05
Say Nic_b,

This new thread is running in the RAW Post Processing section...
It deals specifically with the Histogram...

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=251685

The subject is being directly addressed by one of our moderators...Check it out...

Nick_b
16th of December 2006 (Sat), 16:31
John, you have been great thank you so much!

Check out my reply here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=251031&page=2

This will certinly be an ongoing learning experience for me. I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface of digital photography. I'll post more photos in this section when I get some time to go through them properly.

Cheers.

johnstoy
16th of December 2006 (Sat), 16:42
John, you have been great thank you so much!
Check out my reply here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=251031&page=2
This will certinly be an ongoing learning experience for me. I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface of digital photography. I'll post more photos in this section when I get some time to go through them properly.
Cheers.
That second picture looks a lot different and better, now, than the previous shot...

My camera setting is almost the same as yours is, for the second shot...I'm heading out shortly to shoot a show...

We'll check your pics out too...

later,

John