PDA

View Full Version : Damaged S3...What do I do?

jtkplc
27th of December 2006 (Wed), 21:52
I had my new S3 on my tripod the other day and somehow one of the legs came loose and it fell over and my camera hit the corner of the stairs and it hit right where the moveable piece to the LCD screen is. Now the image on the screen flips vertically instead of horizontally like it should and it's because the piece that the LCD hinges on it bent on the hinge. I don't know how to get it fixed because it's nothing covered under a warranty. Can anyone offer some advice? Thanks.

Gerald-NC
28th of December 2006 (Thu), 07:28
Man I am so scared of something like that happening. Wish I had something for ya, but I don't so best of luck to ya.

Jon
28th of December 2006 (Thu), 12:29
Canon will fix it even if it's not under warranty. They'll just charge you for it; but then, so would anyone else you took it to.

jtkplc
28th of December 2006 (Thu), 17:51
Canon will fix it even if it's not under warranty. They'll just charge you for it; but then, so would anyone else you took it to.

How do I go about having Canon fix it, just take it back to where I bought it (Office Depot)?

Cat man
29th of December 2006 (Fri), 07:40
How do I go about having Canon fix it, just take it back to where I bought it (Office Depot)?

Call Canon CSR. their number on your owner manual or you can get them on Canon web site!. They will give you info when and where to send in your camera. hope this help.

Saudidave
1st of January 2007 (Mon), 15:54
I had my new S3 on my tripod the other day and somehow one of the legs came loose and it fell over and my camera hit the corner of the stairs and it hit right where the moveable piece to the LCD screen is. Now the image on the screen flips vertically instead of horizontally like it should and it's because the piece that the LCD hinges on it bent on the hinge. I don't know how to get it fixed because it's nothing covered under a warranty. Can anyone offer some advice? Thanks.

The camera is now seriously damaged and as with all modern electrical equipment it may well be cheaper to replace with new rather than repair it. My advice is to check your home contents insurance & establish if that will cover the damage. It probably will. I had an ixus 400 replaced about 3 yrs ago when it got covered in spilt milk in the back of my car. Accidents happen and that is what your insurance is for. Claim!!

DavidW
1st of January 2007 (Mon), 18:24
It could just be a few case parts, or it could be that the whole camera is out of alignment now. If you can get it evaluated for very little, that may be worth doing, but you may find that the fee simply to have it worked on makes any repairs marginal economically, especially if they can't guarantee what needs doing before they start work (usually you get an estimate rather than a binding price).

If it really is just the hinged screen mount that's damaged, I expect the repair will be quite reasonable - I wouldn't want just to give up on the camera either, though the whack it got from a tripod collapsing can be substantial.

It's certainly worth checking with any insurance you have (though consider the loss of any no claims bonus) - if you bought on a credit card and the camera really is almost new, you may have accidental damage cover there. Consider too whether the tripod is really suitable. It might be that you know you just weren't careful enough about securing the legs or setting it up level, but if you're not confident in the tripod, it may be worth getting one you are more confident will hold your camera safely.

David

jtkplc
1st of January 2007 (Mon), 20:57
Well, if it's going to be so expensive to get repaired that you're saying that it may be cheaper to buy another one then I think I'll live with not having the LCD screen be able to move. If I have the LCD up against the camera with it facing out, the image is right. It's only when I bring the LCD out away and try to flip it around to move the LCD along it's horizontal axis that the image is displayed upside down. It's such a bummer because it's less than a month old. GRRRR.

Where might I get it evaluated at, just a local camera shop?

chicagoastronomer
1st of January 2007 (Mon), 21:47
Sorry for the damage.

Here is something to try before sending it in for repairs...

Have you tried resetting the LCD "flip" option in the menu?

In the first tab of the Menu scroll down to "Reverse Disp". Use the right/left actions of the Omni controller to select a different setting.

Or

On the second tab of the Menu, select "Reset all" to bring it back to the default settings.

Maybe it will correct, and worth a try.

See what happens.

SuzyView
1st of January 2007 (Mon), 21:57
You can go on the net and contact Canon directly that way. You answer some questions and give them your e-mail and they send you a work order to enclose with your camera. That way they know what to expect. I did that once and it worked very well. They e-mail you to tell you your gear arrived and you can keep tabs on what's happening on line. :) Good luck! If that happened to my stuff, I would have screamed, then cried.