PDA

View Full Version : Senior pictures: why bare feet?

Canonista
29th of December 2006 (Fri), 20:47
It's the weirdest thing. It seems like every photography studio in I've ever seen that does high school senior pictures makes these kids who show up dressed up for the occasion remove their shoes and socks.

Why is that done?

goforphoto
29th of December 2006 (Fri), 20:49
To keep from tracking unwanted dirt onto their backdrops.

PacAce
29th of December 2006 (Fri), 22:59
To keep from tracking unwanted dirt onto their backdrops.

Really? That's interesting. Then why don't they just roll up the backdrop so that they don't get stepped on. Obviously they're not going to be shooting the students' bare feet so that backdrop doesn't need to reach all the way up to the feet of the students, right? :confused:

goforphoto
30th of December 2006 (Sat), 04:40
Depends. If they are using a white backdrop on the floor as a way of reflecting light upwards for instance. or they may not want to reset the studio because they normally shoot full body poses regularly.

Miyagi-san
30th of December 2006 (Sat), 12:46
i've seen that a lot as well, but also out of studio shots included. weird

gjl711
30th of December 2006 (Sat), 16:12
Ok, this is just plain weird. I asked my three who have had their Sr. pics taken, two a while back, one this year, all at different studios, and none had to take their shoes or socks off. And why socks? Seems that keeping all that floor oil off would be important too. I think it's a photog with a foot fetish personally. ;)

Anyway, tomorrow is a big family party and I plan on raising this topic. There are at least a dozen kids who have had their Sr. pics taken within the last 5 or so years. Maybe it's time for a poll here?

cdifoto
30th of December 2006 (Sat), 16:16
Personality, homey feel, comfort, closeness, etc. Rather than being sterile.

liza
30th of December 2006 (Sat), 16:25
I don't want them to get their feet wet. :lol:

http://emphotography.smugmug.com/photos/110868467-M.jpg

JX
30th of December 2006 (Sat), 19:34
I read some where that shoes can date the photograph. I also read to tell clients not to dress in trendy clothes because it does the same. I will have to reread the book, it was about Senior Portraits.

I also agree that it is strange to have seniors take off their shoes.

Hellashot
31st of December 2006 (Sun), 21:24
Don't we want photographs to be dated? To capture that point in our lives? :) What good are old photographs if they look like they were taken yesterday? :)

rhys
31st of December 2006 (Sun), 22:18
I've seen a sheet of perspex laid on the floor for people to stand on.

zacker
31st of December 2006 (Sun), 22:28
for my senior pic all i needed was a shirt and tie and jacket..i went and had it done on my way to go fishing, i had on shorts and sneakers and a tee shirt on and just threw on the other stuff for the shot!

MikeMcL
1st of January 2007 (Mon), 08:29
I have seen the typical shot where the female senoir is lying on her belly, propped up on elbows, or something to that effect. if her feet were in the picture at all, you would see the bottom of them.

The bottom of shoes are ugly, no?

The "pictures dating the photo" makes sense too. I often photograph kids in their socks, but I wouldn't really think of making them take off their shoes, unless it was is the grass or the river, or something cute like that.

Carpetshark
1st of January 2007 (Mon), 09:25
Along with this subject - I subscribe to a sewing magazine "Sew Beautiful" for heirloom sewing. A lot of the photos are taken in the spring in the southern US and most of the kids are barefoot! A lot of the clothes are custom designed and made and the photos are professional. I've asked people that were from the Southern US and they don't know. either. Does anyone here know?

Weezy

gjl711
1st of January 2007 (Mon), 10:16
Well, I asked all the recent seniors at our party last night. We had 14 total who had had their pictures taken within the last 10 years. Of those, one was made to take off her shoes and socks. She didn't know why as no explanation was given. Anyway, this sparked a great discussion as I explained this thread to my fellow revelers and why I was asking the question so we had a lot of fun with it but it remains a mystery. ;)

Mark_Cohran
1st of January 2007 (Mon), 16:06
I'd say you'd hae to ask the photographers. If I were using a seamless backdrop and the students were going to stand on it, I'd ask them to remove their shoes (probably not their socks) to keep from scuffing or tearing the material. That's the only reason I can think of.

Mark

Miyagi-san
1st of January 2007 (Mon), 17:53
i think it just makes for a more "homely" looking subject. it looks more relaxed and natural. by natural, i'm not referring to "not akward"....but more earthy/rural. also the dating of the photo thing sounds right too.

and actually, in response to the "isn't the point of pics to date the photo" statement.....actually, I feel the opposite. part of the reason i take photos is to freeze time; however the actual date would be better off undisclosed IMHO....for a good percentage of shots anyway. hope my opinion makes sense, hard to spell out in words how i feel about all this photo stuff sometimes. maybe that's why i like it so much. :D

PhotosGuy
3rd of January 2007 (Wed), 08:56
I think it's a photog with a foot fetish http://photo.klein-jensen.dk/smilies/rotfl2.gif I think he's got it!

Background paper is cheap enough that I just roll out a few extra feet of it, but if someone is shooting a couple hundred people, I'd have two rugs, one damp & one dry for them to clean their shoes on.

Jon, The Elder
3rd of January 2007 (Wed), 10:55
I think Gil711 may be right...notice how Frank picked right up on that?

With Teenagers, at times, I have considered a trough of Sheep Dip.

Canonista
3rd of January 2007 (Wed), 13:29
I think Gil711 may be right...notice how Frank picked right up on that?

With Teenagers, at times, I have considered a trough of Sheep Dip.

ROFL!

By the way, I love the propeller in your avatar! :cool:

Jon, The Elder
3rd of January 2007 (Wed), 14:43
I did NOT do the Avatar. That dirty rotten scoundrel Photosguy, did it.

PhotosGuy
4th of January 2007 (Thu), 07:17
Who, me? http://photo.klein-jensen.dk/smilies/0326.gif

BillMarks
4th of January 2007 (Thu), 23:17
Maybe the photogs you have been looking at are all in Arkansas...

Bu Yao
5th of January 2007 (Fri), 09:37
In China, foot not usaully show unless bride or girl have lovely foot.

Show bottom foot insult viewer.

Big culture different.

PhotosGuy
5th of January 2007 (Fri), 09:59
You must be bigger man to laugh at crying man. Or a faster man! :D

clokverkorange
5th of January 2007 (Fri), 13:06
@Hellashot

For a portrait, I would say no, you don't want it to look "dated". Granted it's nice to have that picture of yourself in the 80's wearing a headband a a mesh top safely tucked away in your yearbook to laugh at now and again, but times have changed. I know personally when I sit for a portrait I make sure before hand not to wear anything with a logo, anything "current trend", or anything that will attract more notice than myself. Normal photos, sure, you want to capture a moment. Portraits however, when I think of a portrait I think of the picture of my grandmother that hangs on the wall - it looks as if it was taken at olan mills within the past few years, nothing like a photograph from at least 10 years before I was born, which is what it is. Timelessness in portraits is never a bad thing.

Note that this is all my personal opinion and may or may not be complete hogwash.

Jon, The Elder
5th of January 2007 (Fri), 16:51
Good thought and well spoken.

ilovemycamera
18th of January 2007 (Thu), 11:29
Ease up on Arkansas!!! We DO wear shoes!

PhotosGuy
18th of January 2007 (Thu), 11:39
Ease up on Arkansas!!! We DO wear shoes! This thread died & went to page 2 a week ago & now you've resurrected it. So...
what part of Arkansas would that be in? http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2hdzu/pics/roflmao.gif

ilovemycamera
20th of January 2007 (Sat), 19:03
Southeast Arkansas in a town called Dumas. It's about 100 miles south east of Little Rock...

didn't realize the thread died and moved on to bigger and better things! Sorry.

Molehairs
3rd of February 2007 (Sat), 19:09
[Removed reference to deleted post. Belmondo]

I've noticed it a lot.I see this everywhere now. And it's a very specific pose too: first off, always girls (never seen a guy in this position) and they're on their stomachs with their legs up, and the soles of their feet and toes are showing.

OK, so some people here mentioned foot fetish. While these girls are usssssuaallllyyyy 18, I don't quite see what is so beautiful about it. I mean, aren't the soles of the feet just kind of...dirty? I thought foot fetish people liked toes and sexy shoes. Maybe I just don't know their schtick well enough!

But I do agree that it makes the pic less dated and kind of homey. I mean, we go barefoot at home, and school pics are supposed to look genial and relaxing. It is a position that girls lie in when they read on the bed or use a laptop...I know my girlfriend does that all the time. It's kind of interesting how this came about though, showing the bare soles of girls' feet in senior pics. Definitely was never done when I was in high school (1990s).

forsakenme720
10th of May 2007 (Thu), 22:44
[Removed reference to deleted post. Belmondo]

I've noticed it a lot.I see this everywhere now. And it's a very specific pose too: first off, always girls (never seen a guy in this position) and they're on their stomachs with their legs up, and the soles of their feet and toes are showing.

OK, so some people here mentioned foot fetish. While these girls are usssssuaallllyyyy 18, I don't quite see what is so beautiful about it. I mean, aren't the soles of the feet just kind of...dirty? I thought foot fetish people liked toes and sexy shoes. Maybe I just don't know their schtick well enough!

I realize this is pretty old now, but me having a foot fetish, I felt the need to respond. The bottom of the foot is the most important part by far. So yeah, I'm with the guy that said this photog's got a foot fetish -- most definitely. ;)

slappy sam
11th of May 2007 (Fri), 22:12
It's cause its more casual. Most of the girls I know I have pretty relaxed senior pics - one of them is just a t-shirt and jeans on the beach. Almost all of them were done by professional photographers, but I think that it is just a more "comfortable/casual" thing. Also, since I live like a mile from the beach, most of the people get their pics shot on the sand, in which case shoes aren't really very comfy.