PDA

View Full Version : Why is my exif data gone?

l bo
8th of January 2007 (Mon), 19:22
I don't understand why my exif data is missing with some pictures and others it's there. I use RSE to process the RAW images, and then I use PS Elements to finish the processing. Some images will display the exif with Opanda exif viewer and other images no info.

I use Neat Image on occasion and I know that wipes it out, but for others when only RSE and PS Elements is used I don't know.

Any ideas?

PalmBayFlo
8th of January 2007 (Mon), 19:27
I'm not sure about Photoshop Elements, but in PSCS2 if you select "save for web" that will remove the exif, while selecting "save as" will keep it intact. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

l bo
8th of January 2007 (Mon), 19:33
I save each image as a gif, after resized to 800 pixels wide. I haven't changed any of my post processing techniques, this is why it really puzzles me as to why it's intact with some and other images (processed the same way) it's not there.

still_image
8th of January 2007 (Mon), 19:48
Hi, Sorry to hijack, but how would i go about looking at or extracting exif data from a random image?

Sorry:o

Mark_Cohran
8th of January 2007 (Mon), 20:42
I save each image as a gif, after resized to 800 pixels wide. I haven't changed any of my post processing techniques, this is why it really puzzles me as to why it's intact with some and other images (processed the same way) it's not there.

If you're saving your images as a GIF then you're doing your photos an injustice. The range of colors available to an image in the GIF format is much smaller than those of a jpg. I'm not sure if GIFs support EXIF data either.

Mark

Scottes
8th of January 2007 (Mon), 20:44
Photoshop can view/display EXIF, as will a couple of free tools: IrfanView and ExifUtils. There's also a plugin for Firefox, programs like ACDSee, and many other catalogging programming.

My personal favorite just for viewing the EXIF info is IrfanView - it is a fantastic image viewer. Be sure to download and install the Plugins, which are add-ons which contain important things like a RAW decoder and an EXIF reader.

If I have to somehow work on the EXIF info then I use ExifUtils, which includes a command-line utility which will read the EXIF from an image and output it to the screen. This is easily redirected to a file.

l bo
8th of January 2007 (Mon), 21:35
If you're saving your images as a GIF then you're doing your photos an injustice. The range of colors available to an image in the GIF format is much smaller than those of a jpg. I'm not sure if GIFs support EXIF data either.

Mark

I mis-spoke, they are jpegs.

Photoshop can view/display EXIF, as will a couple of free tools: IrfanView and ExifUtils. There's also a plugin for Firefox, programs like ACDSee, and many other catalogging programming.

My personal favorite just for viewing the EXIF info is IrfanView - it is a fantastic image viewer. Be sure to download and install the Plugins, which are add-ons which contain important things like a RAW decoder and an EXIF reader.

If I have to somehow work on the EXIF info then I use ExifUtils, which includes a command-line utility which will read the EXIF from an image and output it to the screen. This is easily redirected to a file.

Thanks and I will check into that. Here are two pics I took today, for reasons unbeknownst to me there is no exif data with opanda. I could take two pics tommorow, use the same PP methods and would be able to view exif. I don't understand why this is.

Can anyone get the data from these two pics with the other viewers? Maybe it's just opanda.

http://mojophoto.smugmug.com/photos/121986563-L.jpg

http://mojophoto.smugmug.com/photos/121987903-L.jpg

Scottes
8th of January 2007 (Mon), 21:38
No EXIF in those according to IrfanView.

Moppie
8th of January 2007 (Mon), 22:20
No EXIF according to FxIF which is the FireFox plug in I use.

Are you sure your useing the same save as sequence with each photo?
The both look they have had the EXIF stripped by a save for web type process.

TheSteveMadden
8th of January 2007 (Mon), 23:44
If you want to put it back, BreezeBrowser Pro can copy EXIF from one image to another. It'll even copy exif data from CR2's.