PDA

View Full Version : why call it "chimp" why not just "look at"?

chevysales
10th of January 2007 (Wed), 15:51
as far as "chimp" the histogram... why not just say "look at" or check.. or whatever?

i know this has been around longer than i have played with camers but it continued use in explanations especially to newbies can be confusing at best.

all hobbies have thre own lingo and this is a part of it that isn't going anywhere but i have seen posts that will go deeply into a well thought out explanation for may of us new to slr users but the "chimp" thing i never understood.

am i correct in that the rebel xt/xti histogram is actually brightness only and the other canon's (edit) is not?

Miyagi-san
10th of January 2007 (Wed), 16:19
am i correct in that the rebel xt/xti histogram is actually brightness only and the canon is not?

........huh?

BrandonSi
10th of January 2007 (Wed), 16:20
am i correct in that the rebel xt/xti histogram is actually brightness only and the canon is not?

yeah... what?

As far as chimping, it's because the behavior emulates chimpanzees..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimping

Mike Philippens
10th of January 2007 (Wed), 16:21
the "chimp" thing i never understood
As far as I heard it refers to the sound and facial expression the photographer makes when he/she looks at the photo that was just taken (ok, you can say histogram check...) When it's a good photo you go 'oooh' en 'aaah' so you look like a chimp.

Sound kind of fun, so I think it's the right explanation. I see lots of photographers chimp at virtually every photo they take.

adas
10th of January 2007 (Wed), 16:25
I guess the term was brought up by old school photographers who didn't have anything to look at and check upon and were too conservatory to accept the new technology. Kind of envy.

Didn't understand the second question either.

franksterstein
10th of January 2007 (Wed), 16:42
I agree that chimping is the behavior/sound/attitude some make when they stare at the LCD... And I *did* receive the t-shirt for Xmas; chimpin' ain't easy, ya'know? :lol:

I prefer to see "chimping" as any behavior that makes you loose action/good shots. Quickly peeking at the LCD to check for blinkies is an ok thing to do for me. :p

I thing he is reffering at the histogram being displayed conjointly for all the 3 channels on the XT/XTI, and separatly (R/G/B) for the other canon bodies so that one can see if a particular channel was clipped due to improper exposure.

Does it make sense?

chevysales
10th of January 2007 (Wed), 16:52
yeah... what?

ok that works... wonderred where the heck that came from.

chevysales
10th of January 2007 (Wed), 16:57
I agree that chimping is the behavior/sound/attitude some make when they stare at the LCD... And I *did* receive the t-shirt for Xmas; chimpin' ain't easy, ya'know? :lol:

I prefer to see "chimping" as any behavior that makes you loose action/good shots. Quickly peeking at the LCD to check for blinkies is an ok thing to do for me. :p

I thing he is reffering at the histogram being displayed conjointly for all the 3 channels on the XT/XTI, and separatly (R/G/B) for the other canon bodies so that one can see if a particular channel was clipped due to improper exposure.

Does it make sense?

exactly what i meant... though i read it a while back i thought it was canon's histogram versus nikon... but upon further review you have it correct and thank you for the answer.

quickpic
10th of January 2007 (Wed), 18:30
Before "chimping" we called it the "digital dip" and yes it was out of envy...

tsaraleksi
10th of January 2007 (Wed), 18:38
The problem of course, with chimping (and partly the reason it has a negative name, I suppose) is that if you're always looking at your LCD then you'll miss shots you'd have gotten if you'd trusted yourself to have the settings, etc, right before firing away.

Choderboy
10th of January 2007 (Wed), 19:15
[quote=chevysales;2520072]as far as "chimp" the histogram... why not just say "look at" or check.. or whatever?
quote]

Where would that leave me for an avatar? ;)

gjl711
10th of January 2007 (Wed), 19:42
yeah... what?

I love it, Wikipedia has made chimping an official activity worthy of including in the encyclopedia. But Webster's hasn't yet. They need to get with the program

ok that works... wonderred where the heck that came from.
Probablywhen one photographer asked another "What the heck are those guys doing" and the other answers "I don't know, they look like a bunch of chimps though" And the phrase was born. ;)

Tee Why
10th of January 2007 (Wed), 21:43
It's not chimping unless you go "ooh ooh aah aah" as you look at the pictures on the LCD.
Anyway, I think it's just a funny terms so it stuck.

gjl711
10th of January 2007 (Wed), 22:05
It's not chimping unless you go "ooh ooh aah aah" as you look at the pictures on the LCD.
Anyway, I think it's just a funny terms so it stuck.Chimping for photographers and "twitchers" for bird enthusiasts. I wonder what other hobbies call there extremists?
How about guys really into fish?
Ham radio guys?
Power walkers?
How about knitters?

drparker
10th of January 2007 (Wed), 22:48
Chimping for photographers and "twitchers" for bird enthusiasts. I wonder what other hobbies call there extremists?
How about guys really into fish?
Ham radio guys?
Power walkers?
How about knitters?

I've heard Reefers or Nano Reefers for salt water tanks:D

Glenn NK
11th of January 2007 (Thu), 00:24
You think I'm too old to be a chimp? Fourty-four years with film with nothing to chimp at except my camera and I knew what it looked like, so I never got in the habit. Still have my LCD set to not come on unless I button it.

Mark0159
11th of January 2007 (Thu), 00:32
remember it's the sound one makes when looking at photos, not the act of looking at photos in itself.

Oooh! Oooh! Aaah!

I am a sure you that these sounds I have never made while checking my photos. Anyway all I check is the histogram, got to check those hot spots ya know. :)

Glenn NK
11th of January 2007 (Thu), 00:38
remember it's the sound one makes when looking at photos, not the act of looking at photos in itself.

Oooh! Oooh! Aaah!

I am a sure you that these sounds I have never made while checking my photos. Anyway all I check is the histogram, got to check those hot spots ya know. :)

Is one supposed to scratch one's armpits then while peeling a banana?:lol:

That's why the cams come equipped with a neckstrap.

Mark0159
11th of January 2007 (Thu), 00:59
Is one supposed to scratch one's armpits then while peeling a banana?:lol:

That's why the cams come equipped with a neckstrap.

now you got it :) :lol: :lol:

chevysales
11th of January 2007 (Thu), 07:15
my original post really was more about some of the excellent explanations of questions here (and elsewhere) that are answered sometimes using photogs lingo... and what i meant was if it's a newbies (like myself) question about something we usually have no idea (or need to use our best guess to find out) what that particular word (lingo) means. i am speaking for myself and realize one must learn the lingo along with the techniques.

so while the answer might be rite on... i at times (and i am sure others) don't fully grasp it until we find out what the particular buzz word means. i see this often in photoshop questions too.

and please no posts about intelligence as i don't think that really plays a part in this as i was speaking for myself being new to dslrs and camera settings (other than point and shoot) in general. this occurs on other sites too as i have read posts after a great explanation the OP then asks what the term in question means.

thank you to all who answered i appreciate it.

SoaringUSAEagle
11th of January 2007 (Thu), 07:21
I rarely chimp and only when I am taking photos of family do I chimp after every one... and its not necessarily me, its them who want to see how they look lol.

overclock
11th of January 2007 (Thu), 08:54
We call it chimping to confuse noobs.

CyberDyneSystems
11th of January 2007 (Thu), 09:21
Don't confuse the issue with your attempts to over clarify,. ("it's not chimping of you don;t go "oh ahh" ) Yeah Right,.

Your all chimps and don't deny it!
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2hdzu/pics/chimp.gif

gjl711
11th of January 2007 (Thu), 12:13
I rarely chimp and only when I am taking photos of family do I chimp after every one... and its not necessarily me, its them who want to see how they look lol.
Shame... shame...shame... Blaming the family on your chimping obsession. Why thatís as low as blaming the dog every time there is an unpleasant odor in the living room. You have to come to grips with this and accept that yes, you are a chimper and stop blaming others for your obsession.:)

Tundrasport
11th of January 2007 (Thu), 12:53
Where would that leave me for an avatar? ;)

Or me with a signature?

Of course I ONLY chimp to check the histogram! :lol:

Oh...and I only look at......I mean read....Playboy for the articles!

canonphotog
11th of January 2007 (Thu), 13:03
Don't know where it came from. Perhaps it's because chimping after every shot looks like you are just "monkeying around" with your camera.

Once you set the histogram for your current light conditions, chimping doesn't get you anything.

Technophile
11th of January 2007 (Thu), 14:28
ill do this "chimping" to review some shots and delete ones that were blurred due to long shutter speeds. it saves me time sorting through them when i get home. ill look at the histogram sometimes too.

Jon, The Elder
11th of January 2007 (Thu), 14:28
Lest we forget...REAL intelligence, such as that shown in this thread, can be a true detriment to the sheer enjoyment of that very first moment when "chimping" becomes crystal clear in the mind of the Noob. A slight loss of mental virginity is well worth the rush as you run amongst the crowd yelling...."look-at-this-look -at -this. Of course you have to waddle slightly from all the gear hanging off your shoulders.

drparker
12th of January 2007 (Fri), 22:58
Lest we forget...REAL intelligence, such as that shown in this thread, can be a true detriment to the sheer enjoyment of that very first moment when "chimping" becomes crystal clear in the mind of the Noob. A slight loss of mental virginity is well worth the rush as you run amongst the crowd yelling...."look-at-this-look -at -this. Of course you have to waddle slightly from all the gear hanging off your shoulders.

Almost spit my coffee all over the screen.:lol: :lol: :lol:

PhotosGuy
13th of January 2007 (Sat), 08:20
Pro SportsShooters do it too!

http://www.sportsshooter.com/special_feature/chimping/index.html

http://www.sportsshooter.com/special_feature/chimping/index2.html

gjl711
13th of January 2007 (Sat), 08:49
Pro SportsShooters do it too!

http://www.sportsshooter.com/special_feature/chimping/index.html

http://www.sportsshooter.com/special_feature/chimping/index2.html
Evertbody does it! Those who say they dont are lying.

JWright
30th of January 2007 (Tue), 14:29
It's degrading and demeaning to the chimpanzees...

DAMphyne
30th of January 2007 (Tue), 18:15
What Happened to the picture of the Chimpanzees checking out a camera? I remember it from when I first started digital, haven't seen it for awhile. I thought that's where the term came from.

Lord_Malone
31st of January 2007 (Wed), 13:01
as far as "chimp" the histogram... why not just say "look at" or check.. or whatever?

i know this has been around longer than i have played with camers but it continued use in explanations especially to newbies can be confusing at best.

all hobbies have thre own lingo and this is a part of it that isn't going anywhere but i have seen posts that will go deeply into a well thought out explanation for may of us new to slr users but the "chimp" thing i never understood.

am i correct in that the rebel xt/xti histogram is actually brightness only and the other canon's (edit) is not?

Are you mad? Replace "Chimp" with "Look at?"

I NEVER "Look at" my LCD. I'm a chimper for life! And damn proud of it too!

Viva La Chimp!

Jon, The Elder
31st of January 2007 (Wed), 16:26
I shoot at the Zoo a lot. I even let the Chimps, Chimp my stuff.

The Gorillas throw things at me.

Tundrasport
31st of January 2007 (Wed), 17:17
Chimping is more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Lord_Malone
31st of January 2007 (Wed), 17:32
Chimping is more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

LOL That's an awesome shot. :lol: