PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to carry two cameras at the same time?

Photolistic
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 04:21
Without using bags what's the best way to carry 2 cameras at the same time? For uses such as not having to switch lenses?

TeeJay
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 04:31
One in each hand? ;-) ....

No, seriously, I tend to have my "primary" camera round my neck, and secondary over my shoulder. It's never an ultra-quick task switching them though :-(

TJ

Lightstream
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 04:36
I generally sling one over a shoulder (like I would a messenger bag or Domke satchel), while the other one goes round my neck. That way I can let go of one and swing the other one up quickly.

calicokat
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 04:37
Get your wife/significant other to carry it :eek: j/k

Photolistic
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 04:39
I generally sling one over a shoulder (like I would a messenger bag or Domke satchel), while the other one goes round my neck. That way I can let go of one and swing the other one up quickly.

Does that ever choke you switching from one to another for shots?

Photolistic
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 04:40

If I had a wife or a girl friend SURE I could use a free assistant ;)

Super-Nicko
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 04:49

trust me... if u had a wife/gf/significant other... they wouldnt carry it anyways!

they'd say "are u bringing all that crap with you?"

or "no more lenses"

or "theres a new spa in that camera bag"

ahh gotta laugh... but on a serious note... its kinda funny.. my cam bag is too heavy for my wife to lug anyways... kinda sad when u go on a picnic and the camera bag weighs in at more than the esky/cooler (or as you new zealanders like to call it - chilly bin - pronounced 'chully bun' hehe )

TeeJay
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 04:52

...To avoid choking, ensure the camera hangs at the FRONT of the body! ;-)

Lightstream
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 05:08

No, probably because the second camera's strap never leaves my shoulder. I just pull it up to my eye, and the strap slides round my shoulder. Alternatively you could pull the strap off your shoulder as you bring it up.

As for the main camera, it's just put down normally, resting against me, the way I do when I normally use a neckstrap with just one camera.. no change at all there.

Mark_Cohran
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 08:40
I usually carry two cameras for event photography. On goes on a strap on my shoulder, the other I just carry in my hand. If I need to switch, the primary camera goes onto my opposite shoulder and the spare camera then goes into my hands. I never put the strap around my neck. The key to this is to have hand straps on you camear. That make's carrying them much easier.

Mark

Lemonhead
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 08:43
Isn't there a strap made just for doing that? Seems like I've seen it before. It's a bit longer and has hooks in the middle and at the end.

SkipD
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 08:49
I have used one long strap for the camera with the longest/heaviest lens and a short strap for the other with a shorter/lighter lens - both straps around my neck and the cameras at my chest in the carry position. This keeps the lighter rig above the heavier rig and either can be pulled up to the shooting position.

Otherwise, I have carred two cameras with the straps around my neck, but the bodies held almost vertical near each other (can't do this with a really long or heavy lens) so that the viewfinders are nearly pointing at each other.

A third solution is a bag (or bags) that take the camera with lens mounted, and used as a "holster" for the camera that isn't being used.

KCMO Al
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 08:49
I've seen some with two cameras around the neck, one on a short strap and one on a long one. That way they are both in front.

ilovemycamera
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 08:51
Isn't there a strap made just for doing that? Seems like I've seen it before. It's a bit longer and has hooks in the middle and at the end.
I have seen something like that before, come to think of it. Kinda reminded me of a guitar strap..

Check b&h

Toogy
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 08:52
I carry one camera with the neck strap around my neck and the other camera hanging on my right shoulder. It was ackward at first, but I have gotten totally used to it, and don't notice at all, except when the 70-200 smacks into door frames (thankfully, it is usually the hood that takes the abuse) :(

AB8ND
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 08:57
I'm another one around the neck, usually the short of the lenses and the other over the shoulder, usually the telephoto. If I have my Domke it is on the other shoulder. Used to drive the chiroprator nuts, carrying an unbalanced load the same way all the time - "you are torquing your back..."

Jack

MDJAK
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 09:13
See: www.upstrap.com (http://www.upstrap.com)

People swear by this strap; stating that it sticks to your shoulder like glue.

I, of course, bought one. It is a rather simple piece of rubber with dimples. What I didn't like about mine (and they've since changed it) was it is not a quick release strap which I prefer. They now have that. The gentleman who "invented" it refused to come out with a quick release buckle until he could be personally satisfied that it would never come undone accidentally.

mark

Woolburr
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 09:23
I typically carry one camera in my hand and the other on the neck strap....the strap for the camera in hand just goes over the shoulder while I use the other camera....I always make sure the lightest camera is on the neck strap.

If you don't mind vests...check out the Khumbu... http://www.vestedinterest.com/index.htm

Broncobear
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 09:28

Yup...I got two buddies for that reason when I see my S/O in Italy in a few weeks :-)

MDJAK
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 09:32
I hope to cross this bridge one day. Right now, I'm a one body guy.

me

Anders Östberg
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 14:59
If they are not in my bag going to or from an event I carry one camera hanging from each shoulder, using Upstrap straps, very grippy. If I use a large lens (300/2.8 or 500/4) then that camera is often over the shoulder on a monopod or tripod and the other camera hanging from the opposite shoulder.

Steiglitz
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 15:02
Because I use only prime lenses to shoot weddings, I often just sling one body across my back/shoulder. I alternate between the two....no bags, they just get in the way, and no lens caps either.....mount the hood, and leave the lens caps at home! lol

Go minimalist.

Photolistic
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 15:04
I hope to cross this bridge one day. Right now, I'm a one body guy.

me

I will trade you my 30D and 10D for your 1Ds MKII. :D

Jon
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 15:10
One around my neck and one on a longer strap over the shoulder; bag on the other shoulder. The longer strap on the shoulder-hung body lets me bring it up without fouling the strap on the body around my neck.

JWright
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 19:06

My second wife firmly stated "I'm not your pack mule!" Needless to say, I now have a third wife that actually offers to carry my gear.:D

Lord_Malone
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 19:17
One in each hand? ;-) ....

No, seriously, I tend to have my "primary" camera round my neck, and secondary over my shoulder. It's never an ultra-quick task switching them though :-(

TJ

Ditto.

And I'll add that it helps to have a photo vest if you don't feel like lugging around a cumbersome bag. I honestly hate carrying a bag. I consider a bag a means to get the majority of my gear from Point A to Point B. Once I get to point B, I grab the necessities, pack them in my photo vest and the bag stays in the trunk.

TheSteveMadden
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 21:18
I was searching OpTechUSA for something elese and came across this "Reporters Strap" (http://optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=24&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=) which holds two bodies, one above the other.

Steiglitz
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 21:21
My second wife firmly stated "I'm not your pack mule!" Needless to say, I now have a third wife that actually offers to carry my gear.:D

Next time, get it in the pre-nup! lol

Pinto
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 22:26
PJ Karl Grobl uses an interesting bag set up here:
http://www.karlgrobl.com/EquipmentReviews/CameraBags.htm

Lord_Malone
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 22:30
PJ Karl Grobl uses an interesting bag set up here:
http://www.karlgrobl.com/EquipmentReviews/CameraBags.htm

Karl Grobl is one of my biggest influences!

Broncobear
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 22:44

Same here...truly an amazing photographer!

Now that you mention it malone I can see some of the influence in your portraits of people....you've done well.

I love how he captures expression and hardship in people's faces.

Pinto
24th of January 2007 (Wed), 22:47

You've got that "Adventurer" look LM. You could do one of those Sandisk ads like he does. Wonder if they pay in CF cards? :lol: