PDA

View Full Version : Where 2 Sell prints online? Whats the best website to do this?

bocaj
26th of January 2007 (Fri), 16:04
Can anyone recommend a good pro photo website to upload photos ive taken at events so that the people can view them and buy the prints with that website handling all credit card transactions and printing and shipping all i do is snap pics and bring traffic. I have looked at Fotki and shutterfly as business solutions but I am just curious if anyone knows of any others to toss into the think tank.. Fast turnaround and shipping, great print quality and good customer service. Thanks alot :)

Jacob

brunester
26th of January 2007 (Fri), 23:01
i think alot of people use smug mug pro

PhotosGuy
27th of January 2007 (Sat), 08:48
http://www.printroom.com
www.photoshelter.com
http://www.performerpro.com/
http://www.shutterfly.com
Do a Title search for "sell prints", WITH the quote marks for lots more info.

agentm
27th of January 2007 (Sat), 09:53
www.instaproofs.com

jlsohio
28th of January 2007 (Sun), 05:48
Check out www.fotki.com (http://www.fotki.com)

thewavebb
28th of January 2007 (Sun), 15:29
I have been using www.photoshelter.com as the ecommerce side of my webpage. I have been happy with them so far.

bigjon0107
30th of January 2007 (Tue), 17:49
www.backprint.com

imaculate
7th of February 2007 (Wed), 17:29
www.printroom.com customer service is phenomenal. No added fees to talk to someone unlike photoshelter. An assigned business consultant also part of their Pro services. Free software that allows to upload your images as thumbs and only send high res when orders come through. Great prints and products. If you sign up or interested, inquire about free prints first to test them. Free classes to help you out with everything. All of this for only a one time set up fee of $99 with no billing after that. No hidden fees and all I do get from them is a profit check. I signed up with them last year from a www.fredmiranda.com forum special. I think my account manager mentioned he's holding the same special. Give him a call and inquire this as well. His number is 888-868-4157 ext 8832, Eddie. Hope this helps you out as. If not, what the others reconmended should work as well. It all depends on your needs However I can comment photoshelter and exposure manager has dropped the ball on me or my customer too too too many times and was hard to get someone on the phone to get issues that were time sensitive, resolved in an expedited manner. Only had one problem with Printroom since my 1 year with them and they were the ones who initiated the contact of the issue. WOW.

dlphotography
8th of February 2007 (Thu), 19:21
I use Picture Proofs (http://www.pictureproofs.com) and Winkflash (http://www.winkflash.com) to print and have them sent directly to clients. I just change the address and all.

5% and no other fees! Not too shabby

BradT0517
8th of February 2007 (Thu), 20:29
I am thinking of going with SmugMug around july

sirsloop
8th of February 2007 (Thu), 21:55
i used smugmug last year with great success... looking forward to paying off my wedding this spring with print sales :)

RSN
8th of February 2007 (Thu), 23:32
Been using Expsure manager for over a year now they have been great.

Anytime I have a question they get back to me withing an hour. Usually sooner. Once the owner had to answer my question and he was on vacation in Autralia and he called me back after about 10 minutes.

Great Service.

mfr301
10th of February 2007 (Sat), 21:09
Something to consider:

Using websites that do total processing for you removes your marketability. For example, there are 2 options. Say you use SmugMug.com which is an AWESOME site for your events. All you do is post and collect a profit. SmugMug processes all your charges (big bonus) prints and mails them for you. You never see a print and lose a little on the profit end because you pay for the convenience. It saves you time and is VERY convenient.

The other way is what I do. I take my photos, post them on my own site, print them via WinkFlash.com and then market them on my own. I put labels on the back of each photo, insert business cards, and replace the WinkFlash envelopes with my own that I had made up. Plus I make a little more because I don't have to pay for the processing fees.

Now each has its benefits depending on your operation and each has it's draw backs. Personally I feel that the way I do it gives a little more personal "touch" to the photos and makes the "word of mouth" advertising spread a lot easier. It also brings a higher professional image in because your using your own envelopes and your able to insert your own business cards.

I also use a Dymo label printer (like $90) to print my address labels and I have full color return address labels that I use for my return address labels.

Just a few thoughts.

Mike

sirsloop
11th of February 2007 (Sun), 09:19
I'll tell you straight up that mailing out 2000+ prints a year on top of your 9-5 job would SUCK, which is why I use smugmug. If you expect lower volume stuff, then by all means get them images printed at your lab and you ship them. It'll save you the 15% of the top.

Also, Smugmug has a 30 day no-reason reprint guarantee. If you don't like them for ANY reason you'll get it touched up and reprinted at no charge. Thats saved me from headaches on more than one occasion.

mfr301
11th of February 2007 (Sun), 13:30
Yes I do agree. Again, I also feel it depends on your operation. Meaning if you're doing like school sports where they already know who you are and why you're there, then SmugMug is your route.

BUT if you're new and freelancing something like I do (Public Safety incidents) where people are doing the "Hey who took those pics" type of thing than the other route is beneficial.

Both have pros and cons but you need to know what will work best for you as well!

As a SIDE NOTE I found a place that provides the HARD mailers pretty cheap. It's called PackagingPrice.com.

Mike

MJPhotos24
11th of February 2007 (Sun), 15:34
definately look into Exposure Manager (http://www.exposuremanager.com/aff/mikejanesphotography)above all else, I've used a few different companies and noone compares to them...not even close actually. They have the best prints, easy interface to costomize, beyond good costomer service, low prices for prints (the novelty items are a bit higher as of right now), and commision is 10% instead of the 15-20% most other companies have, as well as always trying to get better - they listen to the community of members on trying to improve what they do and seem to always be adding things on.

Smugmug uses EZPrints - which I am not a fan of anymore. Exposure Manager used to use them, but then they started going "automatic" - i.e., noone actually looks at your photo, it's just printed and not looked at by anyone. They did this because they are going more towards printing for anyone, not pro photogs. I saw the difference big time in the quality of prints, so did ExpMan - which is geared towards ONLY pro photographers, so they changed printers to. ExpMan is now onsite and have an actual person check the print before print so what you want matches with what there printer will do. By far the best out there IMO.

mfr301
11th of February 2007 (Sun), 15:36
Will take a look at that. Thanks bro!

Mike

Phil Light
11th of February 2007 (Sun), 21:34
Been using Expsure manager for over a year now they have been great...

definately look into Exposure Manager (http://www.exposuremanager.com/aff/mikejanesphotography)above all else, I've used a few different companies and noone compares to them...not even close actually...

I appreciate the tip. I checked into it and joined. It does look like they edge out smugmug. I'm uploading photos as I type this.

MJPhotos24
12th of February 2007 (Mon), 00:14
I appreciate the tip. I checked into it and joined. It does look like they edge out smugmug. I'm uploading photos as I type this.
welcome aboard, if you haven't seen it yet they have a yahoo group where you can ask questions to other users, or just contact them and you should get a response pretty quick.

Gary_Evans
12th of February 2007 (Mon), 16:38
Using websites that do total processing for you removes your marketability. For example, there are 2 options. Say you use SmugMug.com which is an AWESOME site for your events. All you do is post and collect a profit. SmugMug processes all your charges (big bonus) prints and mails them for you. You never see a print and lose a little on the profit end because you pay for the convenience. It saves you time and is VERY convenient.

The other way is what I do. I take my photos, post them on my own site, print them via WinkFlash.com and then market them on my own. I put labels on the back of each photo, insert business cards, and replace the WinkFlash envelopes with my own that I had made up. Plus I make a little more because I don't have to pay for the processing fees.

Looks like good advice to me.

ALL your prints should have YOUR marketing on them, whether its the backprinting, a sticker, stamp or whatever it should be you not a third party lab.

Also if orders come direct to you then you have the customers contact details and can email them offers, promos etc.

You also have control over quality and costings - which wont be 15%!!

fotomaze
5th of March 2007 (Mon), 13:52
Can anyone recommend a good pro photo website to upload photos ive taken at events so that the people can view them and buy the prints with that website handling all credit card transactions and printing and shipping all i do is snap pics and bring traffic. I have looked at Fotki and shutterfly as business solutions but I am just curious if anyone knows of any others to toss into the think tank.. Fast turnaround and shipping, great print quality and good customer service. Thanks alot :)

Jacob

Hi,
check out our website, online image library based in UK but with secure payment gateway Worldpay so the images can be purchased from anywhere in the world.

www.fotomaze.com

Let me know what do you think. marketing@fotomaze.com

coreypolis
5th of March 2007 (Mon), 13:57
Hi,
check out our website, online image library based in UK but with secure payment gateway Worldpay so the images can be purchased from anywhere in the world.

www.fotomaze.com (http://www.fotomaze.com)

Let me know what do you think. marketing@fotomaze.com
so what do you pay your photographers for sales?

fotomaze
5th of March 2007 (Mon), 15:11
so what do you pay your photographers for sales?

we pay photographers 50% from sale price when bought as download.For sale of print 50% after deducting cost of the print. As a seller (photographer) you have free upload of 10 images. There are 2 levels of membership afterwards. You find all important information on our website, if you ened more info, just email us. Our community is growing everyday:)

Thanks for your interest and support.

Magda

Phil Light
5th of March 2007 (Mon), 15:47
I don't think stock photography was what the OP intended.

fotomaze
6th of March 2007 (Tue), 04:02
I don't think stock photography was what the OP intended.

we also sell prints! So all images you upload can be purchased by the buyer as prints.