PDA

View Full Version : Going through withdrawels...

CyberDyneSystems
8th of March 2004 (Mon), 19:32
Another perfect Day on Sunday... and no 10D (on route to Canon in NJ :( )

I stopped at two phots stores this afternoon... I was dreaming of finding a 1D (the old one) forgotten on a shelf.. In which case I may very well have bought one.. but alas the 1D is no where to be found..

Then I had to fight the urge to get a DRebel... it would be a great Back up camera.. which I clearly now need.. but once the 10D is returned,.. and the MkII arrives,. that would be one camera too many for sure.

I hope Canon works fast! :cry:

IanD
8th of March 2004 (Mon), 20:07
Would be easy to sell the Rebel once the MKII came in. In the mean time you could use the Reb until the 10D comes home, then the Reb becomes a back up. 10D becomes backup to MKII. Reb gets a new home. Go for it man! You got to shoot!

CyberDyneSystems
8th of March 2004 (Mon), 21:03
I'll give it more thought next time the sun is out!

Today it was dismall rain/sleet/snow... and tomorrow I go back to working crazy hours untill next Sunday at least...

We'll see...

Besides,. I'm not sure what kind of re-sale I woill get on the DRebel after I paint it black! :wink:

PacAce
8th of March 2004 (Mon), 21:43
CDS, how about one of those pocket-sized cameras like the A80 or the S400? I know it's not as fullfilling as the 10D or the 1DII but maybe it'll be just enough to get you over the hump. And you won't have to sell it when you get your 10D back 'cuz you can keep it as a pocket camera you can take with you everywhere.

As for me, two more days and I get my much missed 10D and the accompanying lenses back from NJ. Actually I have to drive over and get them myself but I'm psyched! :D

Scottes
8th of March 2004 (Mon), 22:05
Calumet in Cambridge, MA will rent you a 1D for a week. Only $1125. If you're cheap you can get a D60 for only $375. For the entire week, though. All 7 days. That's 168 hours. Hell, that's less than $9 an hour for the 1D.

:twisted:

Laziferous
9th of March 2004 (Tue), 06:16
I'm with Leo, but I say get a G-series. Not as high quality as you're used to, but moderately flexible. With an additional investment of $100, you can have an adapter and a few filters. Once I do make the leap to an SLR, I still won't get rid of my G2. It's a great little camera. The flip out LCD is superb for getting interesting shots, that you'd have to lay on the ground to get with an SLR.

Whatever you decide, keep us posted!

iwatkins
9th of March 2004 (Tue), 06:57
CDS,

I feel for you, I really do.

But I would suggest finding a nice second hand film body and going and shooting black and white film. Buy an IR filter as well. Develop it yourself at home and scan into the computer.

Although I don't need to do this (touch wood) I still do it once a month or so, just to keep my hand in and also because it feels a lot more "real" than shooting with the 10D.

Oh, and the chemicals smell nice too. :shock:

Doesn't have to be expensive, cheap s/h film body like an EOS 30 and some film, chemicals and developing tank and bits and bobs shouldn't set you back too much money. And you'll also then always have a back up.

Cheers

Ian

stoneylonesome
9th of March 2004 (Tue), 08:56
I'm with Chris, get a G series as you're back-up, you can get some real good deals on them now I saw a G5 for I think $550 you could probably get the G3 for even less, How about the PowerShot S1 IS at compUSA for $499.97
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=311318&pfp=BROWSE

CyberDyneSystems
9th of March 2004 (Tue), 10:05
I've got an S400... not the same.. maybe I can figure out a way to use it to "Digiscope" the 500mm ??? :roll: :wink:

Imagine the CROP FACTOR! :shock: :shock: :roll:

Ian,. you mention a "film" camera.. ?

What is this "Film" you speak of?

//never get tired of that one :mrgreen:

CoolToolGuy
9th of March 2004 (Tue), 12:00
I'm with Chris, get a G series as you're back-up, you can get some real good deals on them now I saw a G5 for I think $550 you could probably get the G3 for even less, How about the PowerShot S1 IS at compUSA for $499.97
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=311318&pfp=BROWSE

Ditto - The G5 has almost all of the EOS shooting modes, and even does some things that the SLRs can't - selecting your focus point anywhere on the frame, for example, and it will take all of the 'EX' flashes, too. And it will fit in your pocket (with a bulge) much better than the Pro1 with the big, honkin' lens. It uses a BP511 battery. Not a bad second-level backup for a Canon guy (or gal). :wink:

Have Fun
Rick 8)

IanD
9th of March 2004 (Tue), 12:03
Geez....ain't this fun spending CDS's money? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PacAce
10th of March 2004 (Wed), 14:10
CDS, how about one of those pocket-sized cameras like the A80 or the S400? I know it's not as fullfilling as the 10D or the 1DII but maybe it'll be just enough to get you over the hump. And you won't have to sell it when you get your 10D back 'cuz you can keep it as a pocket camera you can take with you everywhere.

As for me, two more days and I get my much missed 10D and the accompanying lenses back from NJ. Actually I have to drive over and get them myself but I'm psyched! :D

Just got back from NJ to pick up my 10D and lenses and I must say, I'm one HAPPY camper! :D I just couldn't believe my eyes when I took a couple of sample shots with the 100-400 and the 70-200/2.8. They were sharper than I have ever seen them straight out of the camera! All I can say is, I'm glad I took my camera and lenses in for a recalibration when I felt that my brand new 70-200 was back focusing a bit (not that I did any type of measurebating to come up with my conclusion :? ).

And they also cleaned the sensor and updated my firmware to boot. Now that's what I call service.

The only "what the heck?" out of me was when I saw that the file numbering had been reset. But I easily fixed that and have it back to as close as where I had left off in my sequence numbers.

IanD
10th of March 2004 (Wed), 14:13
Good stuff Leo. Now get out there and shoot :!:

PacAce
10th of March 2004 (Wed), 14:17
Good stuff Leo. Now get out there and shoot :!:

I actually shot a couple of test shots while I was still at the Canon place just to make sure everything was in good working order--I didn't feel like driving an hour and 45 minutes back home just to find out something wasn't right and would have to drive back there again to have them fix it. But they were shots of geese in a pond by the parking lot. I'd show them to you but I think we're all sick to death of seeing them anymore, right?

So, I'm off the the local park to see if there are other things to shot besides geese and gulls!

Later.

:)

IanD
10th of March 2004 (Wed), 18:56
leo,
The geese have not even arrived here yet. I guess I wont be posting any goose shots when they finally get here. Oh well, I find another bird.....not :lol:

PacAce
10th of March 2004 (Wed), 19:15
leo,
The geese have not even arrived here yet. I guess I wont be posting any goose shots when they finally get here. Oh well, I find another bird.....not :lol:

Well, yeah! That's 'cuz they're loafing around here and making a mess all over the park. Do you know how difficult it is to walk along the paths trying to side-step all these little dark green droppings on the ground? ???

You know, you Canadians really should do something about teaching your geese something about hygene before you let them leave home! :mrgreen: :lol:

BTW, wanna hear a funny story about these geese? The municipal folks here decided, in their wisdom, that they had enough of these geese so they packed them up and shipped them south (I think it was someplace in North Carolina). In exchange, this town in North Carolina shipped us their swans which was being a pest down there. Well, we don't have swans in these parts so the local officials figured that was a good deal. For one summer, people here went to the parks and lakes to enjoy the sights of these swans. When winter came, the swans did what they do naturally. They flew south. The next summer these swans flew back to North Carolina and the geese that we shipped down there flew back here! :lol:

Maybe they should have gotten rid of the "silly geese" in muni-hall instead, huh? :D

IanD
11th of March 2004 (Thu), 04:32
Leo,
I know what you mean about the goose droppings. Just west of Montreal is a reserve and a golf course next to it. I believe the term " Lift, Clean and Place " was first started there.
I used to guide up in the Cornwall area and they have the same over population problem. They did and exchange using turkeys instead of swans. You still have to watch your step in the parks, but as well you get woken up early by the damn turkeys.

CoolToolGuy
11th of March 2004 (Thu), 06:52
Leo,
I know what you mean about the goose droppings. Just west of Montreal is a reserve and a golf course next to it. I believe the term " Lift, Clean and Place " was first started there.

I play golf at a course that is 'frequented by' a gaggle of geese. Now, as I get older my eyesight ain't what it used to be, and sometimes after a shot it is hard to know which one of the many white spots in the distance is my ball :roll: :) :D :lol:

Have Fun
Rick 8)

IanD
11th of March 2004 (Thu), 13:33
Be very careful replacing your divots :lol:

Longwatcher
12th of March 2004 (Fri), 19:08
About two weeks ago, I sent my D60 off to have it serviced, while I was sending in my 100-400L and 28-135 IS for repair. I am very happy to report still no dust on the sensor :lol: That would be 20 months so far without having to clean the D60 sensor. Meanwhile back at the 10D, it has had to be cleaned by me 2 times in the 12 months I have had it.

My 100-400L is now manually focusing again and they fixed a crack in the IS switch plate. And it seems to be focusing better then ever.

My 28-135 IS is now auto-focusing and seems to be a touch sharper then the last time I got it back.

Something tells me either my letter got to them or they have significantly improved their service center since the last time I sent in the lens.

And it was all slightly faster then I expected, which was a good thing because although I have a 10D, I was begining to miss my D60 and lenses. Especially the 100-400, what with the beautiful weather we have been having lately in the South-Eastern corner of Virginia.

must go out and take more pictures

Just my experience,