PDA

View Full Version : Search Function does not include posts before Jan. 2004

TomKa
11th of March 2004 (Thu), 02:54
:?: Is it only me, but after the install or the modifications of the forum in january i can only search back the postings until this date. Older posts with the search item doesn't show up.
Tested in the EE forum.

slejhamer
11th of March 2004 (Thu), 04:35
:?: Is it only me, but after the install or the modifications of the forum in january i can only search back the postings until this date. Older posts with the search item doesn't show up.
Tested in the EE forum.

It's definitely hit-or-miss. I've gotten some results from 2001, but missing a whole bunch in between.

Pekka
11th of March 2004 (Thu), 06:29
This forum software has a stoneage search system which needs to be indexed before it can be used. Indexing the whole database would take several hours if not days and it can not be done when site is online. This whole design is so because phpbb is designed for lowest common denominator and does not use advanced search capabilities of MySQL.

I have written a forum search tool which uses MySQL (and does not need any external indexing, it uses all the data in "realtime"). It still needs to be coded to honor phpbb's user permissions so that hidden forums don't show up in results for all users. I'll notify as soon as that is done.

TomKa
11th of March 2004 (Thu), 06:52
Thanks a lot !