PDA

View Full Version : Shooting my first wedding....desperately needing tips.

Holly
17th of February 2007 (Sat), 19:51
I will be shooting my first wedding in August. So, I have some time to research. I will not be charging for this, because I have no experience in this area. Thankfully the bride is a friend and knows this, but I still want to do well.

I have a 350D
canon 200mm macro
canon 1.4f 50mm
canon 90mm
canon 55mm
sigma 300mm

I do not have a flash. I think I may need one. Any suggestions on that?

I have been looking at a lot of books and on this site, but any tips would be great.

From what I know so far it will be an outside wedding in the evening.

I look forward to any advise. :)

PhotoJourno
17th of February 2007 (Sat), 20:15
Ok. If I were going to shoot my first wedding, I would want to be backup, in order to relieve some of the pressure of having to get it right the very first time.

During Weddings, low light photography is a must. This means three things: Wide Aperture Values (f/2.8 and wider), IS Image Stabilization, and Flash Photography.

From there, it all branches out to what kind of photographer you are, and the tools you will be most comfortable with for the event. Here is where practice is invaluable.

I personally favor the looks of wide aperture values, and use flash as little as possible, and whenever vital, I will attempt to bounce it off a wall or something else. Just got my first IS lens, and so far I am very impressed with the results.

First two items on the checklist should be mem cards and batteries.

For what I hear, foremost lens in Wedding Industry is 17-55 IS Lens by Canon. However, if you have all those primes and are used to composing with those, you might be able to pull it off.

No matter what reference material you may find, there is no substitute for experience. I have turned weddings down, because I did not feel comfortable with the environment (that is just me, though). Ask the bride and groom about lighting arrangements.

Then go out, and keep trying to replicate several lighting scenarios, and keep trying to reach the best level possible of pictures.

Hope this helps.

Maui Kim
17th of February 2007 (Sat), 20:17
Make sure that you rent or borrow a backup camera. You never know what can happen. I think having a flash is very useful especially for receptions. I would definately have a flash on hand. Just my .02...have fun on your first wedding..it's very exciting:).

Holly
17th of February 2007 (Sat), 21:07
Thanks for the advise. It is VERY helpful.

I am kind of nervous about this. They do have another photographer who also has never shot a wedding...so I guess some of the pressure is off.

I will defiantly look into the above lens. I thought the 1.4 50mm may work for low light OK.

what type of flash would be best? The camera has an onboard flash, but it sucks.

tim
17th of February 2007 (Sat), 21:12
Did you read the FAQ?

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=255604

Holly
17th of February 2007 (Sat), 21:52
Did you read the FAQ?

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=255604

thank you for the link. Wonderful information. I'm sure I will be referring back to it.

dlphotography
17th of February 2007 (Sat), 23:12
here try this too

Wedding PHotography Tutorials (http://www.pictureproofs.com/tutorials)

Holly
18th of February 2007 (Sun), 10:48
here try this too

Wedding PHotography Tutorials (http://www.pictureproofs.com/tutorials)

thank you. I bookmarked that...:)

liza
18th of February 2007 (Sun), 10:52
I'd borrow or rent a 5D, a 17-55IS or 24-70, a 70-200 f/2.8, and a couple of 580EX flash units. The 50mm prime you have is a good available light lens, and the 350D is okay for backup.

Davidm5
18th of February 2007 (Sun), 12:04
I will not be charging for this, because I have no experience in this area.
I look forward to any advise. :)

Since the B & G are essentially getting a freebie, and since your equipment is lacking a few essential items, why not suggest to the B & G that you need to rent a couple of items and have them cover the cost?

Mention that it is necessary to have to do a great job for their wedding.

You should never be out of pocket especially if you are not being paid to do a job.

Also don't forget about having lots of memory cards/storage so that you can shoot lots more pictures without having to worry about running out of room.

Elizabeth44
18th of February 2007 (Sun), 12:21
I know how you feel. I just shot my third wedding and my first evening wedding. I would definitley recommend having a flash on hand, I use the 580EX. Some venues are harder to use bounce flash but maybe invest in a diffuser. One tip I would give would be to shoot in RAW. It saved my butt, big time! Make sure you use your information button and check your histogram.
Don't be silly like me. I would look at the viewfinder and saw what I thought was a perfectly lit photo. My histogram told me it was too dark. Thankfully, I shot RAW and could correct afterwards.

Eoseni
18th of February 2007 (Sun), 12:33
In addition, you would do well with a wider than 50mm lens in your arsenal like Liza recommended - the 17-55IS is well spoken for here. And I'd feel more comfortable having a tripod too. It has often vastly improved my photos. I use it for the formals at least, and you may find it useful for available light shots too at twilight.

Flash photography needs practice. The more the better.