PDA

View Full Version : Why is my flash washing out my pics?

gregrocco
28th of February 2007 (Wed), 18:05
S3 with Raynox DCR-250, first of all, to get that out of the way, lol.... Anyway, I've just recently started experimenting with macro photography, mostly using natural light, or if indoors, a conveniently placed lamp. However, when I try to use my flash (the built in one) the pics get totally washed out, the flash just seems WAY too bright. What causes this? Should I just use the flash with no external light, or just use a brighter external light?

Pete-eos
28th of February 2007 (Wed), 18:46
S3 with Raynox DCR-250, first of all, to get that out of the way, lol.... Anyway, I've just recently started experimenting with macro photography, mostly using natural light, or if indoors, a conveniently placed lamp. However, when I try to use my flash (the built in one) the pics get totally washed out, the flash just seems WAY too bright. What causes this? Should I just use the flash with no external light, or just use a brighter external light?

Ok, not sure if the S3 works in the same way as a DSLR but this is my guess.

If your shooting in Av mode the flash will be working as fill flash and not the main light source, probably over exposing your pictures.

Try shooting in M mode, this way the flash becomes the main light source and might correct the issue....

Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

LordV
1st of March 2007 (Thu), 01:38
Think Pete above is correct unless you are using something to reflect the flash in which case you may be reflecting it directly back into the lens.
Brian V.

Dalantech
1st of March 2007 (Thu), 02:56
I use flash for fill all the time in AV and TV modes. If possible set your flash to -2 EV and adjust from there. No need to go to manual mode unless you want to...

gregrocco
1st of March 2007 (Thu), 10:16
I tried the manual mode and it produced better results, though strangely some of the pics came out real dark, even though the flash went off (delayed, maybe?). I'll try what Dalantech suggested tonight. By the way, what does "EV" mean?

LordV
1st of March 2007 (Thu), 11:18
I tried the manual mode and it produced better results, though strangely some of the pics came out real dark, even though the flash went off (delayed, maybe?). I'll try what Dalantech suggested tonight. By the way, what does "EV" mean?

I assume EV means Exposure value- anyway it's what you can change on the camera to alter exposure levels. Setting -ve EV in Av or Tv modes will tell the camera to underexpose the pic and then the flash fill will add more light to it.
In manual mode the flash acts as the main light source (you set what shutter speed amd aperture you want and the flash adds the required light). In the latter case you alter the FEC (Flash Exposure Compensation) to vary the exposure.
Brian V.