PDA

View Full Version : Expirement in pencil effect

stoneylonesome
4th of March 2007 (Sun), 12:31
Was playing around in PSP 9 with a Black Pencil effect.
Here is the photo rendered in Pencil. What do you think?

http://www.flowingriverphotos.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/demings_pencil2.jpg

Here is the original one.

http://www.flowingriverphotos.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/demings4.jpg

kmorgan
4th of March 2007 (Sun), 14:15
Great shot. The original is excellent, too.

Kevin

Miniflash
4th of March 2007 (Sun), 14:56
looks pretty neat ~

stoneylonesome
4th of March 2007 (Sun), 20:23
Thanks all for the comment, I'm more pleased at how the pencil effect came out than I am about the original. When I took the original it had just stopped raining and there was still a haze hanging over everthing.

marie
6th of March 2007 (Tue), 17:35
very nice Sandy

the pencil effect makes for a textured look... like as though done on canvas.
I like the original too. the lovely reflection is nice with the colour

stoneylonesome
6th of March 2007 (Tue), 18:39
Thank you Marie, I'm really pleased in the way it came out.

bmynbr
6th of March 2007 (Tue), 21:17
I like the effect, looks good, and I like the original too.

stoneylonesome
8th of March 2007 (Thu), 18:02
I like the effect, looks good, and I like the original too.

Thank you. I wasn't all that happy with the original, but I sure happy the way the pencil effect came out.

Cerbera
9th of March 2007 (Fri), 03:45
Not too sure if i like the pencil effect, have you tried a b&w conversion on its own?

Ianfp
9th of March 2007 (Fri), 14:01
I must say that I prefer the original and it may also look good in high contrast B&W?
Ian

Mstar
9th of March 2007 (Fri), 15:53
I thought it was good photo to test on. Think it needs more contrast and I'm not too keen on all those wires. Please show us another attempt.

I was doing something similar last night. Here's a sketch filter attempt. This is completely different from the original. Not too sure about it myself.

stoneylonesome
9th of March 2007 (Fri), 18:39
As per request a B&W version. Wires are a fact of life and a part of the scene, I try not to include them but I'm not going to avoid them if I really want the photo. Having done a lot of pencil drawings and sketches in my time I really think that the photo effect one came out pretty good.

http://www.flowingriverphotos.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/demings4_B_W.jpg

Chandler.
9th of March 2007 (Fri), 22:15
Pencil effect is okay, but, as with most PS filters, the strokes are a bit too uniform.

The BW version is great!

Cerbera
10th of March 2007 (Sat), 01:46
B&W is way better!

Trou
11th of March 2007 (Sun), 18:53
I think B&W suits this subject.

Mbrescio
16th of March 2007 (Fri), 21:06
I just like them all, Nice work with everyone of them.

stoneylonesome
17th of March 2007 (Sat), 16:08
Thanks for the comments, The fun doesn't stop with just taking the photo, the fun continues with what you can do with it. I love Digital. :D :D

IainB
17th of March 2007 (Sat), 21:35
I think there are some composition issues with this photo that detract from any beneficial effect of this process, although it is very suitable subject matter for BW, pencil and other high contrast techniques. Any effect should be used to enhance a great composition, and buildings can be difficult to capture because of background, poles, lines etc.

stanley_pope
17th of March 2007 (Sat), 23:05
Pencil is OK, but I love the B/W conversion.

Stan

stoneylonesome
18th of March 2007 (Sun), 09:12
I think there are some composition issues with this photo that detract from any beneficial effect of this process, although it is very suitable subject matter for BW, pencil and other high contrast techniques. Any effect should be used to enhance a great composition, and buildings can be difficult to capture because of background, poles, lines etc.

Proving once again that art is subjective and truly in the eye of the beholder. Having Majored in Graphic Design and study art, although I find poles and wires at times annoying I do not find them objectionable, they are after a part of the scene. Had I drawn or painted this I would probably not include them, yet I have seen it done, the camera on the other hand is not so selective. Of course there are those who will study every minute little detail of a piece of art and be critical of what ever they see, rather than just sit back and enjoy it for what it is, a piece of art as depicted by what the artist saw and wanted to show. In photography I feel that you are capturing a moment in time and showing it as you actually saw it without a lot of manipulation. Thank you however for the comment.

stoneylonesome
18th of March 2007 (Sun), 09:13
Pencil is OK, but I love the B/W conversion.

Stan

Thanks. I'm growing rather fond of the B&W myself.:D

wolverinesr1
18th of March 2007 (Sun), 10:07
I like the pencil effect, but in this case it seemed to add to much texture to the building. this is one of the rare times that i prefer the B&W to the color version. I really like the B&W.

stoneylonesome
18th of March 2007 (Sun), 12:52
I like the pencil effect, but in this case it seemed to add to much texture to the building. this is one of the rare times that i prefer the B&W to the color version. I really like the B&W.

Thanks I tend to agree, one of the things I didn't like about the pencil effect was the fact it had to much texture on the barn.

IainB
18th of March 2007 (Sun), 19:08
Of course there are those who will study every minute little detail of a piece of art and be critical of what ever they see, rather than just sit back and enjoy it for what it is, a piece of art as depicted by what the artist saw and wanted to show.

:shock:
Is that what you think I do?
I am left wondering why you said "Tell me what you think."