PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor portraits

bcap
7th of March 2007 (Wed), 13:21
Hello All,

As the summer slowly draws nearer, I am getting all my equipment ready for baseball and soccer portraits (team and individual portraits).

Fill flash is an obvious one, but would you guys go with a white, gold or silver reflector to push some light into the shadows on the faces?

I was thinking gold, as i love the warmth it adds to the images, but white is also nice for the natural look.

What are your thougths?

thescottandrew
7th of March 2007 (Wed), 13:45
why not all of them :D:D, but if i had to choose i would get the white, i got mine and i love it, the gold one is on my list next

bcap
7th of March 2007 (Wed), 13:47
Well, I will be getting a 39" x 72" and they are quite pricey, plus, I wouldn't want to be carrying 2 of those things around!

They come in white/silver, white/gold or silver/gold. I will probably get white/gold.

Great! Thanks.

I am also looking into getting a flash bracket/hotshoe flash chord. Any suggestions?

Wilt
7th of March 2007 (Wed), 14:41
Get ready to make your subjects SQUINT as they look into the sun seen in the reflection of the shiny gold surface!

bcap
7th of March 2007 (Wed), 14:59
Is it really that bad?

Maybe white would be better?

coreypolis
7th of March 2007 (Wed), 15:07
they're all bad for squints. Hvae them close their eyes or look away until you are ready to shoot. I have a white on one side, white gold on the other. a 5 in 1 is best.

bcap
7th of March 2007 (Wed), 15:43
they're all bad for squints. Hvae them close their eyes or look away until you are ready to shoot. I have a white on one side, white gold on the other. a 5 in 1 is best.

I am looking at a 72" x 39" one that comes with a stand though. The problem with the 5 in 1's is they generally don't come with a stand, so I would have to have someone there to hold it. In cases where they DO have a stand, I don't think it is a big enough reflector for a whole team ... what do you think?

coreypolis
7th of March 2007 (Wed), 15:55
lighting a whole team> wow, no easy task.

The thing about reflectors is they are very hard to place correctly without an assistant. If the sun moves, or its windy the reflector will be all but useless. They also have to be placed pretty high so light properly. (most stick the bottom on the ground and light from underneigth, creating monster lighting)

What I would do, is buy a diffusion flat. I have one from Calumet thats probably 3x8 and is made of pvc piping that bend to fit in a bag. You could then put a flash or strobe nehind it and light pretty evenly the whole group. Its still a sail in the wind, but its coverage will be much more even and theres no squinting.

Here's what it looks like. There are bigger and smaller versions available, different diffusion cloths available, and it can be mounted in any direction. I would probably have it horizontal right over the camera for flat even lighting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/viperx27/OT/IMG_3529.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/viperx27/Brooks/IG3Q5671.jpg

PhotosGuy
8th of March 2007 (Thu), 09:33
Reflector on a stand: Outside? What do you do when it becomes a sail? :D And, no, you can't own enough sandbags for that rogue gust of wind. So...
Individual shots: I'd use a cheap 30X40" white card/foamboard & have someone hold it. This person can also handle your paperwork before the shot.
Team: Pose them with their backs to the sun. No reflector. Maybe use some fill flash if you have to shoot when the sun is high. Take some tests a few days before & see what works best for you.
Good luck!

bcap
8th of March 2007 (Thu), 09:59
Thanks guys!

Corey, your idea sounds very good. I agree with PhotoGuy, I didn't think about the whole sail thing LOL.

I think what I am going to do is invest in a really good flash braket and use a smaller reflector with an assistant holding it for the individual shots and then go with fill for the team photo.

What do you guys think about having a 72" reflector on the ground in front of the team (with an assistant holding it) to bounce some sun back into their faces?

coreypolis
8th of March 2007 (Thu), 12:36
Thanks guys!

Corey, your idea sounds very good. I agree with PhotoGuy, I didn't think about the whole sail thing LOL.

yeah, it just depends on the amount of wind out. Most of the time we're fine with it outside

What do you guys think about having a 72" reflector on the ground in front of the team (with an assistant holding it) to bounce some sun back into their faces?
lighting from the ground is not pleasing, its monster lighting, even as fill.

bcap
8th of March 2007 (Thu), 12:47
yeah, it just depends on the amount of wind out. Most of the time we're fine with it outside

lighting from the ground is not pleasing, its monster lighting, even as fill.

Oh really? i have no experience in that, so I would not know. Good to knwo though, thanks.

Wilt
8th of March 2007 (Thu), 17:21
Stand in front of a mirror with a flashlight near your waist, shining upward to your face.

bcap
8th of March 2007 (Thu), 17:29
Stand in front of a mirror with a flashlight near your waist, shining upward to your face.

Are you going to pop out from the corner of the bathroom, take a picture and post it on here saying "look, bcap is crazy!"?

If not, I suppose I'll play your games :rolleyes:

Wilt
8th of March 2007 (Thu), 17:32
Are you going to pop out from the corner of the bathroom, take a picture and post it on here saying "look, bcap is crazy!"? :rolleyes:

No I would wait until you drop your drawers, take the photo, and post it on POTN under 'Unglamorous and Nude' forum! ;)

bcap
8th of March 2007 (Thu), 17:48
No I would wait until you drop your drawers, take the photo, and post it on POTN under 'Unglamorous and Nude' forum! ;)

Hm. That wouldn't be very nice!

LOL ... you think it's a flashlight ...

Wilt
8th of March 2007 (Thu), 18:28
I reconsidered about the posting...POTN probably would not want to turn itself into a pickup spot on the web. The un-discriminatory nature of POTN could inadvertantly promote inquiries from both same gender and opposite gender members, and might even lead to accusations of crossing borders for the purposes of illegal activities! :rolleyes:

bcap
8th of March 2007 (Thu), 20:53
.. POTN, the new lavalife ... Hmmm, it has a nice ring to it.