PDA

View Full Version : Oops, winning may be losing...

Laziferous
5th of April 2004 (Mon), 17:11
I was looking on eBay at D60's. I usually browse through there every couple days or so, seeing if there are any good deals. Anyway, I bid on a couple, but there was already a higher bid each time. I bid on one out of what was I guess curiousity, and....... uh oh.... I'm the current high bidder :shock:

My wife is going to KILL me if I win this auction! I don't know what compelled me to bid!? There are two days left, and I'm pretty sure I'll be outbid, but what if I'm not? AAAGGGHHHHHH!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3806831203&category=43 454

Someone bid against me. Come on, you know you want to. Look at that deal. My high bid is $750, you know you'd pay more than that for a D60. Don't you wanna be cool? Come on... all your friends are doing it. It'll make you feel good. Come on.... just take a hit.... I mean... make a bid.

:shock: :oops: :shock: :| :shock: :oops: :shock:

Bruce Hamilton
5th of April 2004 (Mon), 17:28
I bid on one out of what was I guess curiousity, and....... uh oh.... I'm the current high bidder :shock: ...My high bid is $750, you know you'd pay more than that for a D60.

Guess that'll teach you a lesson, eh? :lol:
Odds are pretty good that with a max of $750 and two days to go, you'll be outbid... Just remember not to make the same mistake again. ROFL!

Ferdinand
5th of April 2004 (Mon), 17:42
If winning may be losing, why would anyone wants to risk losing? :p Best of luck man, if you win, it will be a first step into dSLR, and soon to be followed by lots and lots of L lenses :)

Regards,
Ferdinand

Scottes
5th of April 2004 (Mon), 17:51
I get a kick out of people who say they "won" an auction on eBay.

They don't win, they lose. I mean, they CHOOSE to pay the HIGHEST price! How can you call that winning? That's LOSING in my book.

Now if you could get it at the lowest price, well, that's winning.

PacAce
5th of April 2004 (Mon), 18:15
Hey, Chris,

Since I don't want to see you get killed by your wife, I'm going to do you a favor. I'll let you use my home address to have the D60 sent to so that your wife won't see it. As for the $750? Well, maybe you can claim it on your next year's tax return as a loss! :mrgreen: :lol:

IanD
5th of April 2004 (Mon), 18:30
Damn, that is a steal if you get it.

garethhhhh
5th of April 2004 (Mon), 18:34
You wanna hope she doesn't have a profile on this forum so she can check up on you from time to time :!:

Then you'll really be in it... :lol:

Laziferous
5th of April 2004 (Mon), 18:44
Come on, I know someone wants to make a bid :|

Bruce-
Yeah, I don't know what came over me. My max bid on the others was only like $500 or so. I guess I was curious to see how high the max bid was, and kept bidding to see how high(in $50 increments, it was listed at $400)... but I figured someone would outbid me within a few hours. Now it's a day later. D'OH! :shock:

Ferdinand-
My loss will be my hindquarters. She going to kick them, until there's nothing left. Oh well, at least I'll have a D60... even if I don't have a rear end... or a sex life thereafter :P

Scott-
I hear you man... but it's a nice delusion. It makes me feel good to think I "won" something, even when I know all I did was agree to pay more than someone else would. Although, I also like to believe that I just got lucky, and happened to be the only person intersted in that particular item at that time..... yeah right :roll: :mrgreen:

Leo-
I don't know, you might just get a suitcase, and me on your doorstep along with the D60. You gave me an idea though... I'll just tell my wife our tax return is all hers, in compensation for me buying the camera. Yeah... like that would work :lol:

Laziferous
5th of April 2004 (Mon), 18:49
Ian-
Yeah, I know. I mean, how can she be mad at me for spending $750 on a camera that was over $2000 less than two years ago!

garethhhhh-
I think I'm safe, she's not into photography, and she's not one of those kind of "check up on you" type chicks. She's pretty cool. Although... if you see some n00b calling me an irresponsible child... that may be her :P

CyberDyneSystems
5th of April 2004 (Mon), 19:09
Ian-
Yeah, I know. I mean, how can she be mad at me for spending $750 on a camera that was over $2000 less than two years ago!

garethhhhh-
I think I'm safe, she's not into photography, and she's not one of those kind of "check up on you" type chicks. She's pretty cool. Although... if you see some n00b calling me an irresponsible child... that may be her :P

"Ummm... Honey,. I just bought an expensive camera.. but it was an accident I swear!" :roll:

:x "Irresponsible Child!!!!" :x

...yeah,. I can say where she got the nickname :wink: :mrgreen:

CoolToolGuy
5th of April 2004 (Mon), 20:31
Chris,

The good news - all the action on eBay happens in the last ten minutes of the auction. If someone else wants it they may be waiting until the end. Be patient, and hope. :?

The bad news - this is a camera body only. The lens addiction will kick in immediately after you get the body, and the wife may be on your case. I would give you my address, but I already get flack for my own packages - I can't take your heat too. :roll:

If I were you, I'd be praying for another interested party. :shock:

slejhamer
5th of April 2004 (Mon), 20:39
Laz, did you see this cute little phrase in the item description before you made the bid?

I definitely lie to you

:shock:

mttmrphy
5th of April 2004 (Mon), 22:33
I bid $725.00 and accidently made your bid higher... sorry.

:lol:

*edit* I am kidding in case you couldnt tell.

IndyJeff
5th of April 2004 (Mon), 23:04
One question here, why would you bid on an item you had no intention of buying? You know you only drive the price up when you do something like that. Yeah, the seller appreciates your efforts and I am sure that somewhere out there is a guy who was really hoping to buy that D60. Now he sees you have bid $750 and have hit his limit on price. Maybe now he moves on and looks for a new D60 listing to bid on. You pray someone will bid but, what if they don't? Do you plan on honoring your bid?

I have had people playing their "I wanna bid" games on ebay before with items I had listed. I left negative feedback both times. One guy even emailed me and asked if I could remove my negative comment. I told him as soon as he sent me $455 that he bid on the item, I would leave an ammended feedback. Needless to say that deadbeat loser never did.
I quit listing on eBay because of false bidding, bad checks, fraudulant money orders. Used to be a good service but, the trailer park dwellers have found ways to scam the sellers and buyers on there.

timmyquest
5th of April 2004 (Mon), 23:12
If anyone here outbid laz i will personlly bitch slap them.

Laz, this is the right tihng to do.

Belmondo
5th of April 2004 (Mon), 23:19
Laz:
If you promise to send me $100, I'll outbid you. :wink:

It's got to be worth at least that much to stay out of trouble with the wife.

Tom

shniks
6th of April 2004 (Tue), 02:10
You know, I think at some small corner of your mind you knew what you were doing, you actually really want to go through with this, dont you!!! Admit it! :lol: :wink:
Anyway, I hope you do go through with it. Its quite a good price, and you only live once.

Laziferous
6th of April 2004 (Tue), 04:49
One question here, why would you bid on an item you had no intention of buying? You know you only drive the price up when you do something like that. Yeah, the seller appreciates your efforts and I am sure that somewhere out there is a guy who was really hoping to buy that D60. Now he sees you have bid $750 and have hit his limit on price. Maybe now he moves on and looks for a new D60 listing to bid on. You pray someone will bid but, what if they don't? Do you plan on honoring your bid?

I have had people playing their "I wanna bid" games on ebay before with items I had listed. I left negative feedback both times. One guy even emailed me and asked if I could remove my negative comment. I told him as soon as he sent me $455 that he bid on the item, I would leave an ammended feedback. Needless to say that deadbeat loser never did.
I quit listing on eBay because of false bidding, bad checks, fraudulant money orders. Used to be a good service but, the trailer park dwellers have found ways to scam the sellers and buyers on there.

Come on dude, are you serious? Of course I would honor the bid. I take personal offense that you would even ask me that. Are you calling me a trailer park dweller? I certainly hope not.

Belmondo
6th of April 2004 (Tue), 08:56
Are you calling me a trailer park dweller? I certainly hope not.

We refer to them as 'Manufactured Housing Inhabitants'.
Indy Jeff would never engage is such name-calling.

Still waiting for your answer---I'll get you off the hook for $100. I don't see anyone else offering to help. :wink:

stopbath
6th of April 2004 (Tue), 09:52
Did you check out about retracting your bid? There are limitations on retracting, but you might be able to do it... Good luck...

IndyJeff
6th of April 2004 (Tue), 10:01
Come on dude, are you serious? Of course I would honor the bid. I take personal offense that you would even ask me that.

Well I am glad to hear that. I based my assumprion on what you had posted earlier. I questioned your intention of paying and, only asked why you would bid on something you had no intention of buying.

Anyway, I bid on a couple, but there was already a higher bid each time. I bid on one out of what was I guess curiousity, and....... uh oh.... I'm the current high bidder

AND

My max bid on the others was only like $500 or so. I guess I was curious to see how high the max bid was, and kept bidding to see how high(in $50 increments, it was listed at $400)... but I figured someone would outbid me within a few hours.

By that it sounded like you were just bidding to see how high it was and had no intention of paying by hoping someone would outbid you. My bad.

Are you calling me a trailer park dweller? I certainly hope not.

No I wasn't referring to you, I am sorry if it came off that way. I can see how you thought that tho. The trailer park dwellers are the ones who have figured out ways to scam by bad checks, fraud, forged money orders etc.
I once sold a baseball card on eBay. The winning bidder asked if I could ship it ASAP because he was being forced out of his place by reconstruction of his apartment complex and wasn't sure where he was moving. Funny his address was "Lot 118". I told him as soon as he got a money order to me I would mail it. He said he had already mailed a check. Fortunately for me I waited, the checking account had been closed.
The State Police were very interested and said they would pass the info on to his State Police. Never did hear anything else on the matter.

LOL Maybe if I ever bid on anything on eBay again I will email you and let you know the current high bid just so you don't drive the price up if your curious.

Laziferous
6th of April 2004 (Tue), 15:20
No problem Jeff. I only misunderstood you. I thought I was being lumped with the "trailer dwellers" (no offense to anyone living in a mobile home).

I admit that my method of seeing what the high bid was, wasn't the most intelligent. I'll blame my lack of brain function, on an insufficient amount of coffee :wink: I just figured there was no way a D60 would go for less than $500, so me upping the max bid to $500 wasn't a bad thing. I was fully prepared to buy one at $500 (wouldn't anyone be?). I haven't seen one go for less than $900, and also assumed a bid of $750 wouldn't last long. Oops. Yes, the logic to that is flawed... but I just blame all of my bad decisions on ADD... or a lack of coffee :wink:

Now I'm off to check on the status.

Oh, Tom.... I think telling my wife I gave some guy $100 to keep her from finding out I spent $750, is worse than the current situation I'm in.... but thank you for your "concern" :wink: :D

Stopbath-
I'd never retract a bid. I wouldn't want the negative feedback. I'd rather just resell it on eBay. Wouldn't that be grand if everyone backed out of the other ones I bid on, and I suddenly had to buy four D60's? Ouch! :shock:

pradeep1
6th of April 2004 (Tue), 16:26
Right now the finished auctions are showing similar D60 setups going for around $1000-$1100, so you should be safe. However, there was one that went for $750. Maybe a fluke, but I'd be careful.

But think of it this way. If you win it for $750, why not turn around and sell it on eBay with a reserve price of $700. You'll be out only $50 maximum and you stand to gain a good return on your worry investment.
If I could pocket a cool $200-250 for little work, that doesn't seem too bad?

If you make $200-250 on it, then buy your wife something really nice. How about that laz?

Laziferous
7th of April 2004 (Wed), 04:55
Phweww! I've been outbid, and there's still 15 hours to go. That's going to save me a lot of explaining :D I can go to work stress free today, without worrying about my impending doom. Now I need a cup of coffee.

Timmy, I guess the threat of a bitch slap didn't work? :wink: It's all good. I'll have a talk with my wife, and I'll get one eventually (not bitch slap, DSLR ;) ) :D

msvadi
7th of April 2004 (Wed), 12:52
Chris,
I'm sure that one day you are going to buy a dSLR anyway. So, you should do it better ealier than later ;) Have a serious talk with your wife. Tell her it's going to happen anyway, so you should just do it and move on ;) By the way, if you sell your G2 and the stuff you bought for it, it will cover a large share of a DRebel cost. And the Drebel is an excellent camera. Just a few thoughts. Anyway, that's what I did and I'm very happy with my desicion.
Vadim

eric1
7th of April 2004 (Wed), 19:21
well Laz, you lucked out. did you notice he said he had the camera for 20 months, took 60 pics, and now wants to move up to the 1DS? sounds REAL
fishy to me,but i wasn't going to bring that up if you were high bidder. i
didn't think you needed the xtra stress.someone from the board will be selling when they get their MK II. plus many, like myself, will buy the 10D successor. lots of cams to be had, and you can buy from someone more reputable.

thanks,
eric

Tom W
7th of April 2004 (Wed), 19:28
Phweww! I've been outbid, and there's still 15 hours to go. That's going to save me a lot of explaining :D I can go to work stress free today, without worrying about my impending doom. Now I need a cup of coffee.

Timmy, I guess the threat of a bitch slap didn't work? :wink: It's all good. I'll have a talk with my wife, and I'll get one eventually (not bitch slap, DSLR ;) ) :D

Well, you might get both. Depending on your tastes, that could be a win-win situation.... :D

GAJulie
8th of April 2004 (Thu), 20:02
[quote

Stopbath-
I'd never retract a bid. I wouldn't want the negative feedback. I'd rather just resell it on eBay. Wouldn't that be grand if everyone backed out of the other ones I bid on, and I suddenly had to buy four D60's? Ouch! :shock:[/quote]

QUESTION: You mean if you have bid on something and came in 2nd...but then the highest bidder DOES retract their bid, can they make you buy the item even though the auction was already over? That's not right if they can!
Julie

PS How do I make the quote thing work? My quote is not in a different colored box??

mlivingstone
8th of April 2004 (Thu), 20:15

Well, you might get both. Depending on your tastes, that could be a win-win situation.... :D

Lol! :shock:

Jesper
9th of April 2004 (Fri), 02:40
Just looked at the e-bay page. The winning bid was $970.55. That's not bad at all for a D60! I hope my 10D will be worth that when a newer version comes out. :wink:

Bruce Hamilton
9th of April 2004 (Fri), 17:25
You mean if you have bid on something and came in 2nd...but then the highest bidder DOES retract their bid, can they make you buy the item even though the auction was already over?
No... All they can do is send you a second chance offer to accept or reject.