PDA

View Full Version : Lens selection ?

Charlie K.
11th of April 2004 (Sun), 13:07
Looking for a helping hand in choosing the right equipment. I currently have a 10D ,28-135 is, 50mm 1.4 and some other minor goodies. I have set aside 4k to purchase some new equipment for this hobby. My thoughts for the purchase are..
70-200 2.8 is
100-400 is
bg-ed3
550ex
st-e2
I believe this should cover me for just about anything I would be shooting. Most of my photo interests are wildlife and other nature related items, excluding landscapes. Where I run into the problem is trying to decide if it's overkill on the lenses and maybe I should consider the 1.4 and 2x extenders along with the 70-200 and skip the 100-400. This would save me approx 600.00 that I could roll into other items for the setup. I am by no means a pro, used to shoot for money years ago, just sort of an enthusiast in the field now. Thanks for the time and keep up the great forum.

DaveG
11th of April 2004 (Sun), 13:47
Looking for a helping hand in choosing the right equipment. I currently have a 10D ,28-135 is, 50mm 1.4 and some other minor goodies. I have set aside 4k to purchase some new equipment for this hobby. My thoughts for the purchase are..
70-200 2.8 is
100-400 is
bg-ed3
550ex
st-e2
I believe this should cover me for just about anything I would be shooting. Most of my photo interests are wildlife and other nature related items, excluding landscapes. Where I run into the problem is trying to decide if it's overkill on the lenses and maybe I should consider the 1.4 and 2x extenders along with the 70-200 and skip the 100-400. This would save me approx 600.00 that I could roll into other items for the setup. I am by no means a pro, used to shoot for money years ago, just sort of an enthusiast in the field now. Thanks for the time and keep up the great forum.

The 70-200 f2.8 is great lens. I have the non IS version and it's wonderful. Although I'd
be lying if I said that I'd prefer it to the IS version it’s what I could afford and I’m
not unhappy at all.

I decided to go with the 1.4 converter. At some point I’ll get a 300 f2.8 for my
Canon but that focal length is covered (sort of) by the conversion in the 10D. I just didn't see much reason to spend the extra money on a longer, expensive, and slow lens like the 100-400 as long as I had the 70-200.

You mentioned your interest in nature photography, so you might think about
getting a macro lens, probably the 100mm f2.8. I bought a used non USM 100
and it has been just what I need. Like the lack of IS on the 70-200 I’d prefer the
100 to be USM; but I can get away with it since I manually focus macro shots
anyway. I also saved a ton of money getting this lens used.

The BG-ED3 is a must-have purchase from my perspective and I bought mine
along with the 10D. It doubles the battery capacity, gives you a vertical
shutterbutton and makes the whole thing easier to hold. I can’t imagine using
the 10D without one.

You mention getting a 550EX and that’s a good thing. But rather than buying the
ST-E2 why don’t you just buy a 420EX flash? You use the 550 as the Master and
the 420 will be the Slave. It’d cost about the same as the ST-E2 except now you
have TWO flashes (main and fill) and can not only use the Canon Wireless
system but use it with lighting ratios. The 550 will also “project” the Master
information farther than the ST-E2 will so it’s actually more effective.

You also don’t mention about getting anything that’s wide and maybe that’s the
way that you see. I did need something wider than my original Canon lens
choice - the 24-85mm f3.5-4.5. I thought about both the 16-35 f2.8 and the 17-40
f4. Mostly because of my photojournalism background I chose the faster lens.
That one mm of extra wideness isn’t a deal breaker and the f4 lens is a lot less
expensive while still being an “L” lens. I guess it depends on how you plan on
using it.

You don’t mention a tripod and I’d say that you need a really good one. I’ve
been using a metal Gitzo tripod with a magnesium ball head and that’s OK,
although not the lightest thing I could find. With the 70-200 I generally prefer to
use a monopod if the subject - or me - is likely to be on the move.

I hope that this helps.

KBMphotography.com
11th of April 2004 (Sun), 14:12
I love my 70-200 F2.8 L IS
http://www.pbase.com/image/26060941.jpg

just bought a 17-40mm F4.0L - results to follow but so far it is gggggreat!

http://www.pbase.com/image/27664993.jpg

Tapeman
11th of April 2004 (Sun), 14:15
Take your time. Don't spend it all at once. Purchase one lens and use it for a while. That will help you to decide on your next lens.

IMO the 70-200 is the most versatile and sharpest, with an extender you can some more reach. The 100-400 is a better wildlife choice.

Quality glass you will keep as long as you are in the hobby.

I also am a believer of top quality tripods.

Whenever you have money to spend you can get all the help you need on this forum. :)

Charlie K.
12th of April 2004 (Mon), 06:38
Thanks for the input so far....anyone else ? Anyone...anyone....Bueler...Bueler.... :lol: