PDA

View Full Version : "Quantaray" lenses

flashbang
11th of April 2004 (Sun), 13:50
Does anyone have any experience with the "Quantaray" brand of lenses?

Canuck
11th of April 2004 (Sun), 14:46
Does anyone have any experience with the "Quantaray" brand of lenses?

They are made by Sigma and are approx the consumer grade Sigma lenses. I'd not reccommend them but that is just me.

defordphoto
11th of April 2004 (Sun), 17:00
They're a Ritz/Kits Camera thing. Basically the Radio Shack of lenses. If you can afford better then please do yourself a favor and at least step up to Sigma quality.

After Sigma finishes making their regular lenses, they pick up the leftover bits off the floor and then make the Quantaray lenses and ship them off to the Kits Camera stores.

CyberDyneSystems
11th of April 2004 (Sun), 19:32
There actually made by bunches of compnaies.. as RFM says,.. like Radio Shack,. or Sears,. they re-brand other manufacturers stuff and call it the store brand. Most of the autofocus SLR lenses are old Sigma designs.. some not in production under the Sigma name anymore. But there are pheonix/cosina lenses as well.. it's a mixed bag.

All pretty much junk too.

Lamplight
11th of April 2004 (Sun), 20:44
The salesman at a Wolf Camera here in Nashville told me the Quantarays they carried were made by Tamron. I looked at a zoom lens for a few minutes and it felt extremely cheap. The next week I bought one of Canon's cheaper zoom lenses from a different store and, although not the best by any means, it feels like it's made considerably better than the Quantaray I looked at. And it was only $60 more. I'd probably just stick with a Canon lens, personally.

flashbang
13th of April 2004 (Tue), 13:38
Well, I gave the Quantaray 70-300 a try. Two days later, I returned it and bought a Canon. The Quantaray was a "Sigma", in parts, anyway. But it was bigger, slower and the image quality was lacking. The Canon lens? It's the 80-200 cheapy ($109.00) lens, to get a quick start with. And the image quality is STILL better!

Live and learn......

Haifidelity
13th of April 2004 (Tue), 13:53
Avoid them, you're better off getting used Canon Consumer Lenses.

-hza

eric1
13th of April 2004 (Tue), 14:03
they're called QUANTaray, because you won't be able to QUANTify
anything when you look though them! :lol:

eric

roanjohn
13th of April 2004 (Tue), 14:35
they're called QUANTaray, because you won't be able to QUANTify
anything when you look though them! :lol:

eric

I think because its the QUANTity.......not the quality.

Ro1