PDA

View Full Version : Crayfish

blacknstormy
12th of May 2002 (Sun), 01:22
[img]http://www.fototime.com/85F46B6C05FFAC8/standard.jpg[img]

Hi all

This is a macro shot of a crayfish we found while conducting a fauna survey around the Brisbane area in Queensland, Australia. It is a Cherax depressus, or the orange fingered freshwater crayfish. This crayfish was found in a small fresh water pool, the pool was roughly 2metres in diameter, and about 1 metre deep. I think she/he (?) is really quite beautiful. What do you think??

Rel

UK_Terry
12th of May 2002 (Sun), 02:11
Nice, what lens/length etc did you use

Leighow
12th of May 2002 (Sun), 17:53
Blacknstormy:

It truly is beautiful.

Here at our lake I have seen fresh water crayfish about 1.5 inches in length.

Yours is a beauty and you've caught it in sunlight and amoungst the remains of colourful leaves. Winter is on the way .. eh guy! Super.

Howie (Ottawa, Canada)

blacknstormy
13th of May 2002 (Mon), 19:20
Hi Terry
Here are the camera settings:

Shooting Mode Portrait
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/125
Av( Aperture Value ) 2.5
Metering Mode Evaluative
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed Auto
Lens 7.0 - 21.0mm
Focal Length 16.8mm
Image Quality Fine
Flash Off

I shot using manual focus (not on macro, just normal, and no digital zoom it was big enough as it was), as the camera wanted to focus on the leaves behind the crayfish..... I was pretty chuffed with it though :)

Rel

blacknstormy
13th of May 2002 (Mon), 19:22
Thank you Howie :)
It really was a nice beastie - was a pleasure to put it back in the water and see it go straight back to its' hole. I was lucky that he/she sat still for me for while - long enough for me to get the shot. I really didn't want to get caught by those claws :) lol Was just in the right spot at the right time :)

Thanks again
Rel

oops
13th of May 2002 (Mon), 21:53
The 2.5 aperture and 16.8mm zoom was challenging dof a bit, but it worked well. The head turned out a little soft as a result but I had to look for it as it's not a glaring problem.

I'm not sure what 16.8mm would equate to in 35mm, but for 1/125 this is a rock solid shot. Was it handheld? You may already know this, but an old rule of thumb to safely hand hold a shot is shutter speed at least equal to focal length. So a 200mm lens would require at least 1/200 shutter and, on the D30, 1/320. I try to double this because I really stink at handheld shots. Yours is very steady.

Nice job; the lighting and color sats turned out very pleasing.

eland
14th of May 2002 (Tue), 04:29
Hi

something seems to have gone wrong.
Your crayfish pic seems to have disappeared.
Just a message saying STOP. Image not found.

el

eland
14th of May 2002 (Tue), 04:29
Hi

something seems to have gone wrong.
Your crayfish pic seems to have disappeared.
Just a message saying STOP. Image not found.

el

eland
14th of May 2002 (Tue), 05:18
Blacknstormy

You say Better to have tried and failed ............

Well, you're not doing much failing as far as I can tell.

Chalk up another big step forward.
Working with a live and free creature that must have been very anxious to get back into its natural environment, you have done exceptionally well particularly as you were working in macro.

VERY well done

eland

Bernadette
15th of August 2005 (Mon), 20:44
Dear Blacknstormy,

I am wondering if you could please email me? I would like to use your photo of the crayfish.
Thanks,
Bernadette

Master-9
20th of August 2005 (Sat), 13:51
http://www.fototime.com/85F46B6C05FFAC8/standard.jpg