PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with the "rich uncle" or "that" guest.

shawn.taylor
5th of April 2007 (Thu), 14:41
I am wondering if anyone else has had an encounter with "that" uncle or guest.

You know the one that is interested in photography and thinks they know everything about it? It only gets worse when they own a DSLR (even though it set to auto) and they want to talk shop.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for being friendly as long as it doesn't get in the way of my work, but some of these guys are over the top.

My favourite is ..."so how many megapixels is your camera?"...which is almost always followed by the sudden appearance of a point and shoot out of said guests pocket and..."yeah well mine is 10".....

I had one guest run up to me, entry level DSLR in hand, and start yelling at me that my flash was pointed at the ceiling....."why yes, yes it is"....

Same guy later on in the evening, the bride and groom are giving their speech....they had a videographer that had them light up like you wouldn't believe...."Mr. your flash is pointed at the ceiling" sits down on a chair in front of them and proceeds to take between 30 and 40 (of the same damn shot) with full on flash in their face....I have NO idea what he was doing......

I can't be the only one who runs into these folks....any interesting stories out there?

I had a fellow photographer tell me he sets up a slave strobe just to mess with these guys when he is taking formals. Kind of mean...kind of funny at the same time....

Big Mike
5th of April 2007 (Thu), 15:09
Last weekend I was shooting a wedding and there was a guy there with a Nikon DSLR and a Nikon flash with an Omnibounce. Even though he had the omnibounce on the flash and there was a nice white ceiling to bounce off of...he had the flash pointed forward, which essentially does nothing more than using direct flash.

picturecrazy
5th of April 2007 (Thu), 15:51
man, that is standard stuff at weddings. There's always a 'smarter-than-you' guy there. At my last one, this one guy wouldn't stop yelling during group formals that 'the flash is too high! The flash is at the wrong angle!" and didn't stop for a second to take the picture. So I said screw it and all the pictures of that group have him looking at the slave and pointing. oh well. I'm not gonna waste time with people like that.

Hey, it's part of the job. Just something we have to deal with.

"yo photographer, your lenscap is on!" "ummmm, it's SUPPOSED to be on... it's a new technique.... really.... I swear..." haha I've pulled one of those and we all had a laugh.

I've tried the slave flash thing too, but it can't recharge fast enough to handle all the flashes! 'doh!!

Exit
5th of April 2007 (Thu), 19:31
At my last wedding the FOB was complaining about his camera the whole time. It was a nice P&S he told me, but too slow for weddings. Later at the reception he had a laptop and proceeded to show me the last 200 pictures he took on his trips around Europe. It's always fun to talk to these people, but sometimes you just have to tell them you're busy and can't talk right now. At least we're never alone at the weddings :)

DocFrankenstein
5th of April 2007 (Thu), 19:46
canadian thread, eh?

I had a fellow photographer tell me he sets up a slave strobe just to mess with these guys when he is taking formals. Kind of mean...kind of funny at the same time....
Is it pointed on the bride from below with a red gel?

Seriously though - how will it work? They use a preflash all the time.

DocFrankenstein
5th of April 2007 (Thu), 19:47
I've tried the slave flash thing too, but it can't recharge fast enough to handle all the flashes! 'doh!!

So that's why the pros use elinchromes! :lol::lol:

thekid24
5th of April 2007 (Thu), 20:05
Although I have not shot a wedding yet I have encountered those kind of people.
My aunt, who falls into the category of people I really dislike (long story), seems to have the outlook of upstaging. Seems any and everything someone has done, she has done with some other added difficulty. Anyway, for years she was the family 'photog', and I use that word very loosely, and seemed to like the attention. So when I got into photography 5 months ago, she tried to talk to me about what she knows and has learned. Why she thinks its ok to talk it me now is beyond me, but I digress.

Well she happened to corner me at my brothers graduation and for him and his moment I would stay chill. She asked that same question, "How many megapixels does yours have?" I respond with 8 and knowing that she has the XTi I knew what was coming. So after about 7.2 seconds of this crap I knew the perfect pitch to throw her. I responded to her response with, " Thats cool have you ever had one of your pictures published?" She says no and I say ," Oh thats cool I have using a 4mp camera." and, while grining, walk off. STRIKE 3!!!!!!

samnz
6th of April 2007 (Fri), 01:47
I always have a disposable film point-n-shoot handy and as a practical joke, crowd ice-breaker at the church I begin opening the camera bag. All of a sudden - I pull out my disposable. "CLICK - grind grind grind - CLICK - grind grind grind - CLICK..." Once I give the guests a wink, they soon see the funny side, the laughter soon follows and the atmosphere relaxes somewhat.

When used at the appropriate times, and with the right attitude, you gain a hell of alot of respect from the guests as you not only appear professional and approachable. This can help towards crowd control during a large group shot.

I actually LOVE interacting with the guests. If they have questions, I will try and provide an answer or I advise them "i'll get back to you on that one".

Wedding photography for me is all about providing a professional service for the Bride, Groom, parents/in-law, uncles, aunties, friends, family, barstaff, caterers, musicians, chauffeurs and anyone you can think of that shows up at a wedding.

If you can spare that extra 20sec to explain the reason for bounce flash, or what that big flash bracket is for, why you use 8MP - the guests will appreciate your time (even if it goes right over their head) - plus you may even get another referal for another wedding.

People skills are an absolute necessity for wedding photographers and being able to handle the most iritating guest is challenging but rewarding when handled correctly. Regards Sammy

tim
6th of April 2007 (Fri), 01:58
I try to make Uncle Bob my assistant, or failing that I let them get some shots they want while stopping them spoiling my shots. I've not had anyone annoying or too assertive yet, i'm sure I will one day, you just have to be nice and get on with the job.

Phil V
6th of April 2007 (Fri), 01:59
What Sam said, I am never too busy to be nice to people.

Capt_KA
6th of April 2007 (Fri), 02:02
I always have a disposable film point-n-shoot handy and as a practical joke, crowd ice-breaker at the church I begin opening the camera bag. All of a sudden - I pull out my disposable. "CLICK - grind grind grind - CLICK - grind grind grind - CLICK..." Once I give the guests a wink, they soon see the funny side, the laughter soon follows and the atmosphere relaxes somewhat.

When used at the appropriate times, and with the right attitude, you gain a hell of alot of respect from the guests as you not only appear professional and approachable. This can help towards crowd control during a large group shot.

I actually LOVE interacting with the guests. If they have questions, I will try and provide an answer or I advise them "i'll get back to you on that one".

Wedding photography for me is all about providing a professional service for the Bride, Groom, parents/in-law, uncles, aunties, friends, family, barstaff, caterers, musicians, chauffeurs and anyone you can think of that shows up at a wedding.

If you can spare that extra 20sec to explain the reason for bounce flash, or what that big flash bracket is for, why you use 8MP - the guests will appreciate your time (even if it goes right over their head) - plus you may even get another referal for another wedding.

People skills are an absolute necessity for wedding photographers and being able to handle the most iritating guest is challenging but rewarding when handled correctly. Regards Sammy
Good one - amen!

Meaty0
6th of April 2007 (Fri), 03:09
Hey! I think I AM one of those uncles. I just attended my "nephew-in-law's" wedding and had a great chat with the photographer. We got on well and I knew when to stay out of his way. He was pretty happy to have someone to talk to about photography during the hour and a half between the ceremony and the wedding dinner.

I don't think we're all pests, but I've seen the people who are. I noticed how he didn't use a flash during the service (guess he was asked not to), but I can't believe the rude point and shooters who did (use flash)...it must've just about blinded the poor priest. I suppose it's like the people who don't turn off their mobile phones.

Bob Charnier
6th of April 2007 (Fri), 09:05
You can usually tell pretty quick by the questions whether it is someone looking for genuine knowledge or an "Uncle Bob". If the person is really interested in learning I try to make time for them sometime during the day. That's how a lot of us learned..... If they are being a pest I politely tell them that the B&G are paying a lot of money to have me make a lasting record of this event and that I would be more than happy to go to his or her place of business on Monday to discuss photography while they are working.

R. Lawrence
6th of April 2007 (Fri), 11:44

I'm actually considering pulling out my camera phone at the beginning of the pre-ceremony photos at my next wedding! I just hope the bride doesn't pass out.

sapearl
6th of April 2007 (Fri), 11:53
When they ask about how many MP, I just say that I forget.....that it's not really important, saying that I put most of my money into "L' glass since it will last much longer.:lol:

Stavhp
6th of April 2007 (Fri), 23:19
i went to a wedding with my DSLR once, i took a few pics and the Photog came to me :D
we had a nice long chat and i now get to use his proffesianal studio whenever i want.
He doesnt know all of his gear and i dont speak to him about gear, i used what i have and never even visit the lens section in this forum (am i sick?)
Wedding Photographers are awesome :D

DocFrankenstein
6th of April 2007 (Fri), 23:25
He doesnt know all of his gear and i dont speak to him about gear, i used what i have and never even visit the lens section in this forum (am i sick?)
Sick like cassandra.

Don't be surprised if you get burned alive by a horde of L devotees. ;)

Stavhp
6th of April 2007 (Fri), 23:28
dont get me wrong, id love the L's but im 15
ive used quite a few of them now and i loved them all
but now i shut up and take pictures
another photographer i know is asking me to be an assistant in august, wondering if i should do it now :)

sapearl
7th of April 2007 (Sat), 12:20
There's always something to be learned by assisting. Being mentored by a patient, friendly and knowledgable individual is worth its weight in gold.

............another photographer i know is asking me to be an assistant in august, wondering if i should do it now :)