View Full Version : Critique please (gulp!) ferris wheel
14th of May 2002 (Tue), 19:31
OK, OK - I've jumped in at the deep end for a critique on one of my first G2 shots. It was a stormy morning as I walked to catch the ferry into Sydney. The sky was quite dark but the sun popped out just in time to pick up the ferris wheel and nearby buildings. I tweaked the brightness and contrast.
15th of May 2002 (Wed), 05:42
No need to gulp Sheila
There is lots of interest in the photo.
You didn't have the time for careful composition that you put into your other shots, but there is plenty to keep the viewer's eye moving around in a pleasant way.
No need to mention the couple of minor flaws. I'm sure you know what they are. The shot is good and interesting.
Sunlit subjects against a dark sky always make for attractive compositions. This situation is fairly common in high latitudes like Scotland but relatively rare in Oz.
You take the G2 along with you and it's certainly paying off. We, your viewing audience are the winners.
15th of May 2002 (Wed), 12:08
An interesting photo, but weakened by the following aspects, IMHO:
1. there is too much sky and water, relative to the pier and wheel.
2. The white areas on the pier seem to be overexposed
3. the image does not appear to be all that sharp
4. I find the apartment block, or highrise on the left, while providing some visual balance, quite incongruous. Perhaps that's what you want, but to me is a rather large distraction in the background.
5. A little closer, or tighter framing, to get the ferris wheel to be more dominant in the photo.
I congratulate you on your submission of this photo for critique. I have viewed other photos you have offered on the Share board, and found them to be quite wonderful, thanks.
vBulletin® v3.6.12, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.