PDA

View Full Version : g1 baterry hype confirmed...

polarinda
21st of May 2001 (Mon), 10:12
raw. iso 50, occasional 8 secs night shots......maxed out at 100 pics....im not joking.

reddawn
21st of May 2001 (Mon), 12:34
polarinda wrote:
raw. iso 50, occasional 8 secs night shots......maxed out at 100 pics....im not joking.

Hi

i'm sure if i turn the camera on the whole day and take a 100 pics, the battery will surely run out :)

how long did u take to take the 100 pics?

Mike K
22nd of May 2001 (Tue), 03:59
I find the battery life depends on how much you have the LCD on in-between shots and how much you delete. For long shoots I use a 1 gb microdrive exclusively (how else can you shoot and shoot and shoot without looking at the counter?). One poster on DP review reported 450+ G-1 shots with one battery not using the LCD very often. With it always on I can get get 200+ shots in 2 hours, and have done this several times (largest JPEG files). Althoug I often shot with RAW, I don't know if this uses substantially more current. If I am running low on battery I can get many more shots using the viewfinder only, and the camera quits the second I turn the LCD back on. This strongly suggests that the LCD is a major current drain.
It is rather subjective, but the battery seems to run down a lot faster if I shoot then erase a poor shot as opposed to just fire away and erase all the poor ones when I am plugged in. Does creating an image and erasing it take up more juice than taking two images? Perhaps that is a characteistic of the microdrive or perhaps deleting images just creates more LCD time? At any rate this seems like a reasonable battery life to me. B&H sells the AC Delco version (which is larger mAh than the Canon) of the BP511 for $40. I have been using two Canon BP511.
Regards, Mike K.

polarinda
22nd of May 2001 (Tue), 10:00
reddawn wrote:
polarinda wrote:

Hi

i'm sure if i turn the camera on the whole day and take a 100 pics, the battery will surely run out :)

how long did u take to take the 100 pics?

The funny thing is this..

Once I fully charged the battery and shot 280++ pics in one go..no problems...lcd on all the way.

Then i tried the same thing, but this time over several days...and i got about 100+pics...lcd on of cos..

In the first case, I shot on 32mb card and deleted straight away and then shoot again..just to test the battery life. So i dun think creating and deleting with lcd on is such a big deal.

The only differece now i can see is that, if i shot continously with a full battery, i can get abt 300 pics...BUT if i shoot intermittently over several days to a week, i can only get about 100+ pics...

I dun think the battery can drain two third from full by self discharging ;)

IT IS JUST INCONSISTENT AND ANNOYING...
and the G1 doesnt tell u when u will run out of battery@ the indicator is as good as useless, to me...

sigh..