PDA

View Full Version : Acquiring Business?

ShannonHeat
7th of May 2007 (Mon), 21:48
Ok, for the more established photographer, or even togs who are generating business, I must ask.......how and where do you acquire your customers? I have no idea what I'm doing in that are. I live in Texas, just outside of Austin, and shoot mostly weddings, but love doing a little of everything. I just need a boost in the right direction. Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Shannon
www.heatonphotography.net (http://www.heatonphotography.net)

PhotosGuy
7th of May 2007 (Mon), 21:58
Have you joined the Chamber of Commerce? Done any charity work?

ShannonHeat
7th of May 2007 (Mon), 22:06
Not yet. Never thought about it. Dcoes it work? I live in a town of 1280 people. Pretty small, and most know me....

EOS mE
7th of May 2007 (Mon), 22:22

how do you go about in joining? is there a main website which you can check to contact your local office?

BradT0517
7th of May 2007 (Mon), 22:24
Depending on your town if you want to do sports I would contact the local middle and high schools in your district any youth leagues, and colleges. UT Austin most likely already has a photographer for them, but I would try and make friends with him depending on how old you as an aprenticeship of sorts so you can learn how he operates the business and does his pictures. Or if you have been doing this for a while try starting out a new company, start building a large network of contacts so they can get you name out there also.

Weddings see if there are any local wedding magazines and try to get an ad with some nice Bride and Groom pictures, the Brides maids,and general feel of the wedding.

Sr. Portraits I would get a studio and locate some great photo areas such as lakes old buildings general for your area.

Kid portraits get a studio where you can get things like a christmas sleigh, rabbits for easter and give away the rabbits at the end with a drawing, Pumpkins for easter.

ShannonHeat
7th of May 2007 (Mon), 22:24
how do you go about in joining? is there a main website which you can check to contact your local office?
My town is so small, all I have to do is walk accross the street from work to the Chamber, pay a small fee, and voila, I'm in...lol I just haven't joined yet.

PhotosGuy
7th of May 2007 (Mon), 22:35
I live in a town of 1280 people. Pretty small, and most know me.... Even smaller than my home town! You may have to travel a bit! ;)

MJPhotos24
8th of May 2007 (Tue), 02:26
what are you trying to shoot? a little bit of everything is tough, you can be a great wedding photographer but not know much about other fields (not saying you, but in general - I know I'd suck at shooting weddings, but not sports for example - side note, I did shoot two weddings, hated it and turned down tons of opportunities to shoot them again!). Anyways, so what fields? There's different approaches that can be used, and yea such a small town travel will be necessary.

PhotosGuy
8th of May 2007 (Tue), 08:02
I did shoot two weddings, hated it and turned down tons of opportunities to shoot them again!. Me, too! The MOB in both cases was a relative & I can't imagine what the wedding shooters go through. :D

ShannonHeat
8th of May 2007 (Tue), 11:13
Me, too! The MOB in both cases was a relative & I can't imagine what the wedding shooters go through. :D
Oddly enough to say....I love shooting weddings, and cry at every one of them (I'm a hopeless romantic....lol what more can you expect from a woman) However they are very exhausting, and make for extremely long days. I would love to get into shooting sports as well. Wish me luck, oh, and any suggestions?

www.heatonphotography.net (http://www.heatonphotography.net)

spcalan
8th of May 2007 (Tue), 18:01
Hello.

I have done 5 weddings, mostly for friends, so 300-500 a wedding.
I also do the local Christian school's sports photos, ( by luck ).

How elese do I get business except waiting by the phone. what sort of advertising should i be doing, that is fairly cheap?

PhotosGuy
8th of May 2007 (Tue), 20:43
what sort of advertising should i be doing, that is fairly cheap? 1 other idea: I doubt the local Christian school is the only one within 50 miles? Put on your most impressive lens & go shoot at some other school events. Carry cards & be prepared to quote prices.

spcalan
8th of May 2007 (Tue), 21:42
Good idea

ShannonHeat
8th of May 2007 (Tue), 21:48
Update: I know it sounds a little silly, but I talked to my Mary Kay consultant (makeup-for you men who don't know..hehe) She happens to be the district director and had no idea I was a photographer! When I mentioned it to her, she got all excited and asked if I'd be interested in shooting some of her models! She does makeup for wedding parties and some fashion shows, and is insisting on networking me! Cross your fingers for me, I have bills to pay :)