PDA

View Full Version : Ok now this just makes ya wanna growl!

Mortgage101
15th of May 2007 (Tue), 13:33
So I'm looking at lenses the other day at a Samys camera. i'm looking at the 85 1.2 and the 50 1.2 and the 135.2 as I am looking for a very fast very sharp prime. ( all L lenses) The salesman starts discussing lenses with me and we are discussing the 70-200 he says "so I assume you have the 70-200 2.8 IS?" I say no I have the 70-200 F4L IS. He promptly snickers and starts in on well you know how much this 85mm costs? It's an expensive lens sir.............. Like the 70-200 is a cheap lens?

I forgot

the GRRRRRR

Curtis N
15th of May 2007 (Tue), 13:36
Just tell him you never get condescending sarcasm from the B&H website.

S.Horton
15th of May 2007 (Tue), 13:36
Sounds like maybe you'll order from somewhere other than Samy's, then?

Which did you like the most?

blonde
15th of May 2007 (Tue), 13:54

best answer ever!!! i am sure he won't be snickering after that one :)

kumicho
15th of May 2007 (Tue), 13:56
did he not get that you were looking for a fast prime to complement your current 70-200mm f4 IS? not that the f2.8 would be able to reproduce anything that you can get with one of these fast primes, but I'd think that the f4 would be a better compliment to it (lighter than the 2.8, and you'll have the fast prime for those low-light situations).

Grentz
15th of May 2007 (Tue), 14:19
Wow, I know so many that think a $1000 lens is cheap...thats only about 2x-3x the cost of the average persons whole camera!

Frankly I hate camera store salesmen. They are almost worse than car salesmen (especially around here since most car dealerships have the no hassle/no comission setup). I went in when I had my 300D looking at a 30D. The guy was trying to sell me on it and constantly putting down the 300D. He then was saying how lenses make such a big difference in quality and such and I agreed with him. Then he went on to say how crappy the 300D is with the lenses you can get for it....

I had enough and asked if I could put the lens I have on the 30D (using one of the stores since I did not have mine with me). He said "Sure, what lens is that? The 18-55 Kit?" and I cooly replied "No, the 24-105L". The guys jaw pretty much dropped and he scrambled around trying to find one but they did not have any there, so he then went to tell me how the 28-135 is so close to the 24-105L :p

Anything for a darn sale...

Woolburr
15th of May 2007 (Tue), 14:33
Your salesman sounds almost as sharp as our local genius, who told a customer that Canon doesn't make professional equipment, because that privilege is reserved for N*k*n under Japanese law...

Great comeback...I wonder if might not be wasted on this turkey...he seems pretty oblivious.

Jon, The Elder
15th of May 2007 (Tue), 14:46
Boy, I would really love to run into one of these arrogant idiots. By the time I'm done with them they're whimpering in the back room someplace.

Glenn NK
15th of May 2007 (Tue), 14:57
Boy, I would really love to run into one of these arrogant idiots. By the time I'm done with them they're whimpering in the back room someplace.

Hmmm, sounds like my approach - for which my ever-loving wife is always telling me to "be nice".

Fortunately the camera shop where I deal is not only just a 10 minute walk from home, but the salespeople are very helpful, providing the information so that I can make the decisions. And they are NEVER condescending.

The only drawback to the store is that they waste everyone's time by stocking Noinks.;) Apparently some people like high-ISO noise.:lol:

20droger
15th of May 2007 (Tue), 16:44
My philospohy... Show such idots absolutely no mercy. They deserve none.

They're kinda like the JWs of the retail world. They spout the purest of crap.

rhys
15th of May 2007 (Tue), 18:16
isn't Sammys the one that decided to charge money to talk to you?

Personally, I don't go to camera shops. I look at manufacturer websites to see what's current. Then I look to see what's available and work out what I want to pay and work out the compromises. Then I buy either by mail or online. I do not believe in paying money to over-chargers like Ritz (US) or Jessops (UK).

I recall one shop in Britain, 10 years ago, when I brought in a roll of 120 film where the salesman said that 120 film could not be processed any more and it'd be better to throw it away and to buy a new camera from them. I'm sure the big film companies would have been interested to know they didn't make 120 film. I was so amazed I walked out in silence and went to a real camera shop where I had my film processed and related the tale.

EOS MAN1
15th of May 2007 (Tue), 18:56
Local shops are so expensive. I remember going into my local shop looking at the tamron 28-75mm. At the time Adorama had it for 330, Ritz was $400, and the shop was $470. Come on $470, WTF. The shops are ridiculous. They occasionally have something I need but nothing really worth paying extra. Most of the lighting equipment they sell is overpriced junk.

The funniest part was I saw the E-Bay Remote Flash triggers(the exact same ones you get for $20 off E-bay) for $130.00. What a crock.

I hope that guy works off commission cause he just lost a sale.

Tom W
15th of May 2007 (Tue), 19:32
I went to my local camera shop last week, looking for an 82 mm polarizer. Had a nice chat after which the saleswoman suggest that I try B&H since her outfit didn't stock any 82 mm filters. I was surprised that she'd recommend a competitor that easily.

She also recommended against Adorama and told of her experience with them.

subtle_spectre
15th of May 2007 (Tue), 19:56
The only real, independent shop around here is Robert's. A lot of people buy from them online. In person they are all d--ks. I would seriously consier spending the extra $$ they charge, as well as the sales tax, if they were at all interested in courtesy and consideration. Maybe toss a deal once in a while...something! But no, each and everytime of some 20 times having gone there, each person is rude, uptight, arrogant. So, if BH, Canoga, etc. want the $$ represented by my gear list, I gladly give it to them...I get more courtesy and service online than at the local car lot...I mean camera shop.

Grentz
15th of May 2007 (Tue), 20:04
Ya, I do not like to buy from the shops around me (in fact I havent).

I just go to get a hands on look at the gear if they have it :)

(My shop wanted 1299 + Tax for a 30D body only when I got it for 1089 Online :) )

Mortgage101
15th of May 2007 (Tue), 20:15
Well he for sure won't get the sale of a 135L my impression of the 85 1.2mkII was far short of a 2k dollar lens. Glass was huge for sure which was impressive but do not expect to track anything short of a flower growing with the focus speed. Granted that's an exageration but it's definetly for non moving objects. The 135 however I'll be damned if handling it doesn't make me understand why people seem to enjoy it so much. Granted I paid more than 1k for my 70-200 F4 however I did pay for extra insurance on it I think 1 year replacement. I want to find somewhere here in orange county locally where I can rent the 135.2

I just hate that some people think to get a sharp picture you have to have a 2k dollar lens. I would have walked out with the 85 1.2 right then IF 3 things had happened. A the lens impressed me at all. 2 he had some form of manners or any knowledge regarding canon camera's other than Oh yah that new one is neato isn't it? I said why is this one so much better than the prior 85 1.2 I mentioned you could get an older used version of the 85 for far less. He responds. "This one is a faster focus and the older one can't be nearly as sharp"

Tom W
15th of May 2007 (Tue), 20:52
Well he for sure won't get the sale of a 135L my impression of the 85 1.2mkII was far short of a 2k dollar lens. Glass was huge for sure which was impressive but do not expect to track anything short of a flower growing with the focus speed. Granted that's an exageration but it's definetly for non moving objects. The 135 however I'll be damned if handling it doesn't make me understand why people seem to enjoy it so much. Granted I paid more than 1k for my 70-200 F4 however I did pay for extra insurance on it I think 1 year replacement. I want to find somewhere here in orange county locally where I can rent the 135.2

The 85/1.2 (both versions) is a very special lens, with an extremely fast aperture and excellent bokeh. Definately a winner in many unique situations such as very low light portraits and the like. But it is NOT a sports lens in any sense of the word. Yes, you can shoot moving bodies, but it isn't designed for very fast action. The 135 handles that task much more readily.

I just hate that some people think to get a sharp picture you have to have a 2k dollar lens. I would have walked out with the 85 1.2 right then IF 3 things had happened. A the lens impressed me at all. 2 he had some form of manners or any knowledge regarding canon camera's other than Oh yah that new one is neato isn't it? I said why is this one so much better than the prior 85 1.2 I mentioned you could get an older used version of the 85 for far less. He responds. "This one is a faster focus and the older one can't be nearly as sharp"

The salesman is way wrong. Yes, the new version offers faster AF - IIRC, 1.8X as fast as the Mk 1. Plus it sends distance information the the flash system (E-TTL 2) to help meter flash more accurately. And it has new coatings on the lens elements to reduce flare. But I don't believe that it's any sharper than the Mk I. The optical formula hasn't changed. Why mess with a winner (and the 85/1.2 is a winner in it's specific realm).

I don't know if this particular salesman is typical of Samy's or not - I've bought from them online without problems, but that's a different scenario compared to dealing across the counter.

CGrindahl
15th of May 2007 (Tue), 22:08
I've had such excellent experience buying used lenses and picking up new gear online that I wouldn't dream of paying the premium charged by my local camera store. That said, the store is very successful, so obviously many folks are willing to pay the price. From my visits I observe the folks talking with some pretty knowledgeable sales persons about gear, so I guess these patrons want that kind of assistance as they make their decisions. I'm content with the online resources like this site, as well as a number of sites that offer excellent reviews.

I know from dealings with some of the less reputable sellers online, however, that demeaning the buyer is seen by some as an effective selling technique. It will never work with me but it seems some folks are susceptible to such tactics. It strikes me as crazy.

Mortgage101
17th of May 2007 (Thu), 04:30
I know the lens is definetly an improvement or canon would not have attempted marketing it. I guess the only thing that scrapes me is he talked down to someone for no reason other than my lens didn't cost enough so I must be an amateur that doesn't know lenses since the F4L IS isn't as expensive or I guess sharp? of a lens. (I HIGHLY doubt I will ever regret my 4L (my best shot is at 1/8 hand held with no shake)