PDA

View Full Version : To call or not to call?

islandphoto
4th of June 2007 (Mon), 23:00
I get a lot of information for future brides and grooms through bridesclub.com - since I advertise on their website. I send out weekly emails to the eleads but their phone #s are also provided. But I was wondering - is it acceptable to call or would it be seen as sort of intrusive? I'm guessing they put their phone # on their for a reason but I'm just not sure. What would you do?

newbxt
4th of June 2007 (Mon), 23:05
It will not hurt to call! personally I would love it!

islandphoto
4th of June 2007 (Mon), 23:09
That's good news - so what do you think a photographer should say when calling? How do you make it low pressure?

mizuno
4th of June 2007 (Mon), 23:13
I'm not sure there is any way to make a cold call seem low pressure.

islandphoto
4th of June 2007 (Mon), 23:19
Do you think it's a cold call?

tim
4th of June 2007 (Mon), 23:59
I would only call if someone called or email me directly first.

jessiper
5th of June 2007 (Tue), 00:53
I would only call if someone called or email me directly first.

Agreed, otherwise it would be too salesperson-y, if that makes sense. You could try it once and see how it goes, though.

mizuno
5th of June 2007 (Tue), 01:11
Do you think it's a cold call?

It is a cold call.

You're calling someone who may have potentially never had any prior interaction with you.

islandphoto
5th of June 2007 (Tue), 01:18
thanks for all the advice - i'm just wondering what the phone # is for though - there info is provided to all types of vendors. Do you think anyone calls or it's just a formality for bridesclub to ask the bride for the #?

jeannemarie
5th of June 2007 (Tue), 01:44
If the bride included her phone number, then I say it's o.k. to call. Is it a cold call? I'd like to think if it as a "warm call" she entered her information on the web site expecting vendors to call or write.
Go For It! What do you have to lose?
I would start off the conversation that you got her information from bridesclub.com. This way they know it is not totally out of the blue. Good Luck!
Jeanne

jgogums
5th of June 2007 (Tue), 01:52
I've heard these referred to as 'warm calls'...it's a subtle difference. I'm not familiar with the website but if it is clear to those posting their phone numbers that it will be shown to any other subscribers/companies, etc. then it shouldn't be that intrusive (by comparision to the 6 pm telemarketing calls from some company that bought your contact info.:evil: )
Personally, I'm not one to call even under these circumstances, but if the website is set up to bring brides and those that provide wedding services together then I'd think they shouldn't be shocked that you are calling. It's always a risk calling someone that your not sure is expecting it but sounds like you are curious enough to try!:eek:
Good Luck

jgogums
5th of June 2007 (Tue), 01:54
:cool: jeannemarie...you and I think alike...but you type faster...

islandphoto
5th of June 2007 (Tue), 02:53
Thanks - it's an interesting discussion - not sure if I will or not yet. I really don't want to come off like a telemarketer but maybe these brides would appreciate it if they are looking for wedding photography. Still not sure but I like hearing all of your opinions on the matter!

thewavebb
5th of June 2007 (Tue), 03:03
Well if the persons put down there phone #, why not call them. What do you have to loose? I do a lot of outbound calling for consulting work and Most of my leads are kinda like whatyour getting.

I would probably say something like....

hello, may I speak to Ms Smith please....My name is Happy Photographer and Iam a photographer found on xyz advertising webpage. I was told you were looking for some more information when it comes to your wedding planning. I wanted to see if you had any questions specifically when it comes to choosing photographers and I would be happy to help you with any concerns that you may have. ....... so on and so forth. Try to be more of a resource and consult them, while talking about your offerings. Make sure you don't product dump.

They way I would look at it...the worst thing is that you get cussed out and hung up on...Life goes on. You just have to get over any fear you have and just be a normal person on the phone. People respond better if you can match there pace and tone.

Just prepared for a low success rate. But lets say you book 1 client for every 15 leads dialed that would be pretty awsome. You know what they are looking for, so you just have to present yourself to them.

When it comes to being treated like a telemarketer.....The saying "Treat them like how you like to be treated" goes along ways. Be respectfull of the time you call. People in general will throw an objection up right way since they are suddenly out of there comfort zone. Your ability to roll with it and get beyond the "scared" objection will be the crucial factor on the success of this kind of thing.

Have some marketing materials ready to go so when you do get a hot lead, you can get that info out to them fast.
my 2 cents

picturecrazy
5th of June 2007 (Tue), 09:54
Personally I wouldn't call... but if you are interested in doing it then just give it a shot and write down the stats of how many are interested, how many are glad you called, and how many treat you like a telemarketer during dinner.

thewavebb
5th of June 2007 (Tue), 11:32
Calling people is about motiviation. So for stats . . .

New leads:
Leads Dialed:
Left message:
Not interested:
Follow up needed:
Follow up dialed:

I use a 3 call and done theory. 1st call is a voicemail, 2nd call is nothing, 3 is final voicemail saying this will be your last call.

Make sure you have fun with it and take breaks as you need them. The last thing you want to do is sound scared or bored. I found that when you physically smile when you talk/leave voicemail, your reflects that your happy over the phone and your prospect will be more receptive.

Spread them out by 1 week each so you don't seem desperate.

tlc
5th of June 2007 (Tue), 13:25
If the bride included her phone number, then I say it's o.k. to call. Is it a cold call? I'd like to think if it as a "warm call" she entered her information on the web site expecting vendors to call or write.
Go For It! What do you have to lose?
I would start off the conversation that you got her information from bridesclub.com. This way they know it is not totally out of the blue. Good Luck!
Jeanne

i have to agree. its being proactive. if i had entered my info and included my number, that means i want phone calls. i would love to have someone call me and show they are interested!

bookings dont always come to your doorstep - sometimes you have to work a little for them!

oh and try not to call during the dinner hour.....

how about saturday afternoons?

islandphoto
6th of June 2007 (Wed), 18:30
:o thanks guys - I'm still feeling a little shy about calling

*Mike*
6th of June 2007 (Wed), 19:30
:o thanks guys - I'm still feeling a little shy about calling

You can do it! Just behave like you are a new friend calling to see how their wedding planning is going (rather than a used car sales man that so many telemarketers call with). That attitude is a really soft sell - and it lets you test the waters without being overbearing. We are all for the soft sell.

Not sure if anyone mentioned ui yet - but emails get lost ALL THE TIME. It seems like 1 in 10 doesnt reach the intended party. We had assumed all sorts of things.

Someone told us a while ago - keep calling until the B or G tells you no thank you. We actaully had 1 bride last year (who we didnt call back - and we totally wondered what happened...she sounded like she was ready to sign on the line and hire us) who FORGOT to book us. A week B4 the wedding she called up in a frenzie totally freaking out about not hiring us. She though her mom did it. Mom thought her finace did it. Turned out no on did it. So, we call and check in periodically - until they say no thanks. So far, so good.

islandphoto
6th of June 2007 (Wed), 22:45
wow! So what happened? Were you available to do the wedding?