PDA

View Full Version : Using a ND and Polarizing filter together

obitonykenobi
18th of June 2007 (Mon), 01:19
I just got a Canon S3 IS and bought a lensmate 52mm lens adapter so I could attach filters.

I take pictures of waterfalls and sometimes the only time I can take them is on cloudy days because my camera is limited to a F-stop of F 8.0, otherwise the sun messes up the pictures and they are overexposed and can't get the waterfall effect.

I was told to use a ND filter of .9 and to also use a Circular Polarizer, but everywhere I go online I read that it is not a good thing to stack filters together. So I'm lost here on what to do and if I do stack them together, what do I put on first? The ND and the CP on top or the CP first and the NP on top.

Thanks a bunch!

Cathpah
18th of June 2007 (Mon), 04:43
its certainly not ideal to stack filters (even a uv filter and a polarizer is not ideal) but if you have to do it to get the shot, better to stack the filters than not get the picture.

either that, or go back on a cloudy day.

choochoo72
18th of June 2007 (Mon), 05:10
I had a little go with a Pol filter + ND, but the pictures I took were underexposed etc, but I'm sure this was down to me (was first time trying this). As for which one to put on first, I can only put on Pol first then the ND filter holder

Cathpah
18th of June 2007 (Mon), 06:20
I had a little go with a Pol filter + ND, but the pictures I took were underexposed etc, but I'm sure this was down to me (was first time trying this). As for which one to put on first, I can only put on Pol first then the ND filter holder

if you just use AV mode or TV mode it should meter correctly....

pwm2
18th of June 2007 (Mon), 06:49
if you just use AV mode or TV mode it should meter correctly....
Shouldn't it meter correctly in all modes?