PDA

View Full Version : The 2nd official Random Discussion For TPBM Photo's and Photographers Thread (2)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124

cylentka
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:01
Fact Sheet (http://www.doleta.gov/programs/factsht/warn.htm)

timbernet
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:01
Anyway, the WARN Act is the Worker (something that starts with A) Re-training Act. It says that you have to give workers some time (i don't remember how much) before you shut down. The idea is to give workers time to find a new job or new skills to get a new job and not leave them cold.

You have to give your employer 2-weeks notice before you leave, so I think it would be fair if the employer gave you 2-weeks notice...

What is really bad for these (former) Dell employees is their location... the coast. The Oregon coast has a pretty poor economy compared to the valley... Jobs, good paying jobs with insurance, are not super-easy to find... Who knows... I think Sprint/Nextel has a call center around there... or they used to...

cylentka
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:03
Is THIS (http://www.fandango.com/voyagetothebottomofthesea_v++++53041/summary) the movie, Permie?

misspix
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:06
Fact Sheet (http://www.doleta.gov/programs/factsht/warn.htm)
Thank you Wanda :D

cylentka
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:08
You are welcome, Terri! It might not apply for some reason or other, but if it does they have a legal remedy. Worth calling an attorney about and getting a free consultation anyway. Good luck to the ex-workers!

short5
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:09
I got my tubes the other day but have not played with them. Most here have the Kenko tubes right? I realize they are not much more than a spacer but they seem pretty crappy to me. I admittedly, and maybe somewhat foolishly, am a bit of a snob about equipment of any sort. Not in a mine is better kind of way but quality makes me happy. I am pretty hard on stuff and never hesitate to use what I have to the fullest. My point is(I think :rolleyes:) Does anyone else think they seem like toys? Has anyone had a problem with them? Does anyone have or handled Canon tubes and are they more substantial and not made of die cast metal surrounded by Mcplastic?

puddlepirate44
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:10
;):lol::lol:
so- what's your best/fave line?

Mine was really original... "Hi, I'm Dan."

[rant on]

Grrr.... That's just chicken.

what was the name of that movie (it had Barbara Eden in it I think but I'm not sure) where the scientists were shrunk (in their submarine) and injected into a human's bloodstream? Boy that was an "interesting sci-fi" flick :)

Is this what you're looking for?: Fantastic Voyage (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060397/)

My movie:

http://images.quizilla.com/F/FA/FAE/FaerieFriend/1150063975_ssupermole.jpg
Super Hero

You are a kind, caring, and selfless person. The sort who would probably help old ladies across the street and rescue kittens from trees if given the chance. To you there's too much evil in the world. You have a strong drive to help others and make them happy.

Skrim17
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:11
the incredible journey I think it was, no?

timbernet
I have the Kenko tubes and have never thought of them as toys or poorly built...

I have never held/seen a Canon extension tube, so I can't help you there... I have been beginning to do a lot more with tubes...

Skrim17
ok fantastic voyage..

I got sci fi too

misspix
Well, tis the end of another work day and I bid you all adeu...adia...adoo....pfffffffft :rolleyes:
See yas latah

Permagrin
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:12
YES!! Fantastic Voyage. Sorry Wanda, I was wrong about Barbara Eden :)

misspix
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:12
Dan, I am not surprised at all that you are a Hero :D

Skrim17
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:14
Maxi update: Eli is running around proud as can be becasue he now can do the elusive "armpit fart"

puddlepirate44
duh duh DUHHH!!!

I have to admit, tho', I look really bad in spandex. :o

Permagrin
I got my tubes the other day but have not played with them. Most here have the Kenko tubes right? I realize they are not much more than a spacer but they seem pretty crappy to me. I admittedly, and maybe somewhat foolishly, am a bit of a snob about equipment of any sort. Not in a mine is better kind of way but quality makes me happy. I am pretty hard on stuff and never hesitate to use what I have to the fullest. My point is(I think :rolleyes:) Does anyone else think they seem like toys? Has anyone had a problem with them? Does anyone have or handled Canon tubes and are they more substantial and not made of die cast metal surrounded by Mcplastic?

well, if you decide not to keep them and want to trade for a macro lens let me know

(and actually I've only ever used TD's and they didn't seem cheap to me but very different from an actual lens)

puddlepirate44
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:15
Maxi update: Eli is running around proud as can be becasue he now can do the elusive "armpit fart"

Ahhh, another rite of passage successfully negotiated.

Permagrin
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:15

wow he's one up on me then! (*sitting here trying to make disgusting noises with my armpit* :lol::lol::lol:)

short5
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:17
Thank you Wanda :D

Good Wanda! I wonder if they have a loop hole somehow or if it is cheaper to just fire them and pay the repercussions, or give notice and lose money through things like lack of motivation, people leaving before the company is ready etc. One would think a big company like that would not make a mistake like that rather a planned ignoring of the law.

Skrim17
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:18
I've never seen Canon tubes Zane but I've put my Kenko's through the test and switched them around quite a bit without any problems.

cylentka
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:22

ROFL! I am not sharing that post with Allie.

Skrim17
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:23
I guess this means summer camp has been a success, lol.

cylentka
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:25
Good Wanda! I wonder if they have a loop hole somehow or if it is cheaper to just fire them and pay the repercussions, or give notice and lose money through things like lack of motivation, people leaving before the company is ready etc. One would think a big company like that would not make a mistake like that rather a planned ignoring of the law.

They very well may have structured things to meet an exception. Lots of companies violate the WARN Act because most people have never heard of it. In 18 years i think we've only had 2 cases involving the WARN Act. And even if people learn about it, they are hesitant to contact an attorney because they are often low level workers and they don't want to get a bad reputation or anything. People get scared easy if they are on the bottom rung (or nearly so), so they get taken advantage of easily.

cylentka
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:26
I guess this means summer camp has been a success, lol.

I'm sure Billy thinks it was money well spent. ;)

short5
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:26
Mine was really original... "Hi, I'm Dan."
. Whoa, slick:cool: and you got one fine babe;)

Super Hero

You are a kind, caring, and selfless person. The sort who would probably help old ladies across the street and rescue kittens from trees if given the chance. To you there's too much evil in the world. You have a strong drive to help others and make them happy. Wow good quiz

well, if you decide not to keep them and want to trade for a macro lens let me know
(and actually I've only ever used TD's and they didn't seem cheap to me but very different from an actual lens)
I will keep them or exchange them for Canon if those are all metal or decent plastic. I got them to use with my 100mm macro. I don't have a 50mm but have seen some nice stuff done with that combo too.
I've never seen Canon tubes Zane but I've put my Kenko's through the test Not the Zane test but thanks for your input it is encouraging. Have yours ever been on fire or under a bull?

Skrim17
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:27
Not the Zane test but thanks for your input it is encouraging. Have yours ever been on fire or under a bull?

Uhm, no.

short5
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:29
Uhm, no.

Mine either but I like to be prepared:)

Skrim17
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:38
OK, I am really not trying to be a rumor monger but...I saw pectal mention to MDjak in another thread that Condyk is taking a rest from the forums...anyone know what happened?

cylentka
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:41
OK, I am really not trying to be a rumor monger but...I saw pectal mention to MDjak in another thread that Condyk is taking a rest from the forums...anyone know what happened?

I just know that he supposedly got a lot of ribbing about something. But when your nickname is Connie and you "room" with another guy, well... :rolleyes:

timbernet
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:41

Something to do with the (now removed) thread about tossing PetKal and CondyK into their own forum...

cylentka
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:48
Something to do with the (now removed) thread about tossing PetKal and CondyK into their own forum...

Um, didn't one or both of them ask for that?

BearLeeAlive
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:50
Mine seem quite well made, they do have a wee bit of play, especially with all three stacked. I have never used the Canon ones either, so cannot attest to whether they are that much better built. Big thing, they work great. One of the best deals for performance vs. dollar in my kit. Are yours the DG one's?

Permagrin
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:51
well, I think perhaps some people just joke on others better than they receive it back

Skrim17
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:52
See I didn't even know they removed that thread...ok makes sense now.

cylentka
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:52
Well, I gotta go do the bedtime routine thing. Have a great night everyone!

Skrim17
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:53
Night wanda, squeeze Allie from us!

cylentka
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 19:57
Ok, just did! She said squeezes back! But she wants to give you guys a REAL hug. I told her she'd have to wait a few months, lol.

short5
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 20:03
Are yours the DG one's? Yes I just don't like plastic. I will probably hang on to them being that no one else is having problems

Well, I gotta go do the bedtime routine thing. Have a great night everyone!

Good night Wanda

BearLeeAlive
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 20:04
well, I think perhaps some people just joke on others better than they receive it back
I haven't seen much of Condyk in other threads, but he did seem fairly condescending to others, at least to me, on a number of occasions. This type of attitude does not sit well with me. Maybe I misread something, dunno. Maybe he carries the dry British humour to an extreme.

Permagrin
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 20:23
well my opinion is, if you are going to tease and torment and etc...the first criteria no matter who you are (I'm not speaking of anyone person specifically and I include myself in this because I like to give people a hard time as much as the next person) you need to be able to laugh at yourself and "take it" when it's handed back to you.

BearLeeAlive
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 20:35
well my opinion is, if you are going to tease and torment and etc...the first criteria no matter who you are (I'm not speaking of anyone person specifically and I include myself in this because I like to give people a hard time as much as the next person) you need to be able to laugh at yourself and "take it" when it's handed back to you.
Well put Lisa, life would be boring if we did not jest with our friends. I do realize that in written word, as opposed to oral, there is a lot more chance for misinterpretation due to the lack of visual and hearing senses helping you communicate. Isn't abuse a form of attention? Thought so, I gladly take it then. ;)

Permagrin
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 20:37
Well put Lisa, life would be boring if we did not jest with our friends. I do realize that in written word, as opposed to oral, there is a lot more chance for misinterpretation due to the lack of visual and hearing senses helping you communicate. Isn't abuse a form of attention? Thought so, I gladly take it then. ;)

*trip*
(heee...isn't physical comedy fun too?)

BearLeeAlive
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 20:43
*trip*
Oh Ya. ;) :lol:

puddlepirate44
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 20:51
OK, trying to post a pic from my new Smugmug account. Haven't done this yet, but here's a shot of Lisa with Hair ver. 2.0:

http://PuddlePirate-Photography.smugmug.com/photos/179839250-L.jpg

timbernet
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 20:53
Whoa - that isn't Lisa :shock:

Permagrin
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 20:54

I told you I wouldn't have recognized myself on the street...it's shocked me to no end!

T.D.
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 20:55
OK, trying to post a pic from my new Smugmug account. Haven't done this yet, but here's a shot of Lisa with Hair ver. 2.0:

I told you I wouldn't have recognized myself on the street...it's shocked me to no end!

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!

That's quite a striking difference.

Well done, Puddle. You did a great job!

puddlepirate44
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 20:58
I think she looks marvelous. :D

wu_wei0
wow! I think your hair is darker than mine now!.. It's gorgeous, too!

BearLeeAlive
Lisa, it looks great, you hottie. ;)

What a lucky photographer. :)

EDIT: You did look great before, but I really prefer this.

wu_wei0
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 20:59
You like chocolate covered cherries as much as you liked caramel??;)

Permagrin
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 20:59
aww...you guys are so NICE! thanks :o

puddlepirate44
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 21:00
You like chocolate covered cherries as much as you liked caramel??;)

Ahem... uh.... urm.... :o:o YES.

wu_wei0
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 21:05
Ahem... uh.... urm.... :o:o YES.

Glad to hear it.:D

Carry on

;)

short5
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 21:05
Whoa Lisa kewl transformer girl. You are very pretty and wear mahogany well. Dan did a great job with the shot. You told him what to do didn't you?

short5
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 21:07
;)@Wu

puddlepirate44
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 21:09
Glad to hear it.:D

Carry on

;)

:D:o:D

Whoa Lisa kewl transformer girl. You are very pretty and wear mahogany well. Dan did a great job with the shot. You told him what to do didn't you?

Yeah. I didn't have a clue.

wu_wei0
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 21:21
;)@Wu;)@ sweet Zane

Permagrin
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 21:27
Okay, I'm about to post a new thread (in general chat)....please go read it because that's where my 15K post is going to be...

dotTif
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 22:05

I love it!!!!!!!

that is so beautiful! It fits you (er her, er mom) perfectly! yay a success!

short5
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 22:38
Hi Little!!

Jamie Holladay
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 22:46
g'MAE

timbernet
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 22:49
g'mae Jamie!

short5
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 23:29
I am freakin ready to stick tooth picks in my eyes. I am shooting like a million fabric swatches for somebodies web site. It is painful.

Mark0159
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 23:34
I am freakin ready to stick tooth picks in my eyes. I am shooting like a million fabric swatches for somebodies web site. It is painful.

ouch, that would hurt.

thats both sticking tooth picks in your eyes and what your shooting.

puddlepirate44
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 23:41

Try to visualize something that would be entertaining while you shoot.... like, what would this swatch look like if exposed to phosphorus flame?

Permagrin
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 23:41

bummer Zane, serious bummer! but I'd definitely advise against the whole "eye hors d'oeuvres" thing...it could come back to haunt you later...especially if someone ingests the aforementioned tasties...

short5
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 23:44
Try to visualize something that would be entertaining while you shoot.... like, what would this swatch look like if exposed to phosphorus flame?Ooo bright white/yellow fire:D Thanks man I feel better

against the whole "eye hors d'oeuvres" thing...it could come back to haunt you later.....

:lol:Thanks I have calmed...a bit:confused:

short5
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 23:53
See ya guys I am out of here.*sound of pogo stick heard disappearing into the distance*

Permagrin
2nd of August 2007 (Thu), 23:55
G'night our bouncing boy Zaney :)

thomascanty
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 01:42

Calicokat went a little too far in that thread with Permie, too. Shortly after the thread was deleted, he made a public apology in RRTP. I think a few people got reprimanded during that mess...

Wow. Who's the babe?

Mark0159
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 02:02
Calicokat went a little too far in that thread with Permie, too. Shortly after the thread was deleted, he made a public apology in RRTP. I think a few people got reprimanded during that mess...

so that's what that was all about.

oh dear :rolleyes:

Pete
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 02:24

Oooooh.

Perm's HOT!!!!

Really very nice.

Pete
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 03:38
Hmmm... I just saw an advert on the TV for a pregnancy test kit. Part of the dialogue says (and I swear I heard it right) "this is the most technically advanced equipment you'll ever pee on"...

neil_r
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 03:47
"this is the most technically advanced equipment you'll ever pee on"...

Now that is simply not true, I remember the occasion when I was very drunk and fell asleep on top of a Cray XT4 :o

Pete
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 03:52
Hehe... So that's what really made the Wargames computer shut down. And here's me thinking it was just noughts and crosses.

cylentka
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 07:11

She does!! Its amazing. Wonderful choice of color. I love it! :D

Now that is simply not true, I remember the occasion when I was very drunk and fell asleep on top of a Cray XT4 :o

ROFL! You crack me up, Neil. :lol:

Athena
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 07:48
[rant on]With no notice at all, Dell closed this call center today. 150-200 people now jobless and without insurance for their children. Ya know - this could very well be enough for me to stop wanting that Dell Ultrasharp monitor. Seriously. I guess it took awhile, but it surely seems Dell have become one of "those" companies. Meanies who only care about the bottom line... :confused:

Does anyone have or handled Canon tubes and are they more substantial and not made of die cast metal surrounded by Mcplastic?I have the two Canon tubes - they have some plastic, but most importantly they have metal mounts. I hate plastic mounts - I need solid equipment. (aren't your mounts metal too?) I am going to buy my G7 adaptor from Lensmate instead of Canon, because there's is built better.

Maxi update: Eli is running around proud as can be becasue he now can do the elusive "armpit fart"lol - we have this new feature too - it started about 6 months ago (influence of an older brother). :lol:

here's a shot of Lisa with Hair ver. 2.0:
This is beautiful Permie! Did you do this yourself or have a stylist do it? I LOVE IT! :D

Guineh
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 08:13
Maxy Update: I just added my "home page" to my profile.

Guineh
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 08:39
Mom & Christopher sharing a sweet moment together....

puddlepirate44
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 08:52
Hehe... So that's what really made the Wargames computer shut down. And here's me thinking it was just noughts and crosses.

Geez, I haven't seen that movie in years...

Wow, Neil, you use the best stuff on which to lose bladder control. I'm so jealous.

As my daughter would say, "Awww... sweetness moment."

thomascanty
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 09:00

http://www.ldphotography.net/Smilies/rotfl.gif

And I thought I was the winner when I got drunk and fell asleep in the catwalk at the top of the helicopter hanger on a U.S. Destroyer...

Mgdh
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 09:04
Thanks, Athena! I have to go get the kid now.

Hmm, that reminds me, where the hec is Maxy today?

Didn't he say he was off to stay with a someone for a week?

sci-fi

Sci-Fi

You are a very logical and cerebral person, a deep thinker with a gift for looking toward the future. You believe that there aren't any problems that can't be solved with rational thought.

I got Sci-Fi too. Lets see if I can remember the other results on the quizzes:

TPBM Chat, Detective: Monk, Band: Deep Purple, Smiley: Group hug, Camera G7 ??? If my HD was bigger it would have been DSLR ;), Egypt: Pharoh, Lotr: Sam

Saweeeet. Hi Permie :D

ROFLMBO

Mgdh
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 09:09
Ok, I've managed to catch up now :D

I did go to the airshow on Wednesday. It took 4 hours to travel the last 8 miles to get in :roll: but it was worth it when we got in.

I ended up taking over 500 shots (Drive mode on passes ;)) but I've not had a chance to properly process yet. Here's the first shot of the day as a teaser...

http://newquay-plus.co.uk/POTN/Chinook_IMG_1710.jpg

It's s slight crop and I should have set to Tv as opposed to Av to blur the rotor. I did on many of the later shots. I ended up with about 130 shots in the "1" category to process first, so the full lot may take me a while...

Mgdh
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 09:11
It probably would have been better of I'd zoomed right in...

Edit [3!]

Pete
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 09:19
Nice one Mark... Been many many years since I went to an airshow.

I want to again, very much!

Pete
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 09:20
I'm going to foist this one on you (because I like it).

http://www.the-aperture.com/EE/photos/normal/IMG_5451.jpg

Athena
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 09:24
You should play it in the colors game Pete. :)

BearLeeAlive
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 09:28
You should play it in the colors game Pete. :)
Another game, sheesh, will they ever end. ;)
I subscribe to more than I can keep up with as it is, but must go look at this one, I just can't help myself. ;)

Pete
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 09:33
No, this one's the one for the colours game! :D

http://www.the-aperture.com/EE/photos/normal/IMG_5457.jpg

These shots were worth trampling the flower beds for....

BearLeeAlive
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 09:45
Pete, I like the backlit flower shot, great idea. I would try cropping it down to just the one petal, just a thought.

I will try this idea this long weekend out at our property. There is challenge on another site I go to for shots from ground level. They can be of anything as long as the camera is down low.

BillsBayou
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 09:46
Good Morning! What a GLORIOUS day!

Pete
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 09:48
Pete, I like the backlit flower shot, great idea. I would try cropping it down to just the one petal, just a thought.

I will try this idea this long weekend out at our property. There is challenge on another site I go to for shots from ground level. They can be of anything as long as the camera is down low.

A bit late now, the sun's moved around!!

I actually tried this because I had exposure problems taking shots of flowers from above (I just can't get them looking as colourful and alive as they do in real life). These poppies are translucent enough for this effect to work really nicely.

Mgdh
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 09:56
Nice one Mark... Been many many years since I went to an airshow.

I want to again, very much!

Thanks Pete. Has anyone checked the EXIF on my shot yet?

That's looking very good, Pete. I'll have to try that with something. Hmm. What to use, we have no poppies in the garden... I'll have to have a think.

neil_r
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 09:59
Thanks Pete. Has anyone checked the EXIF on my shot yet?

Yep

Exif IFD0

* Camera Make = Canon
* Camera Model = Canon EOS 350D DIGITAL
* X-Resolution = 300/0 = Infinity
* Y-Resolution = 300/0 = Infinity
* X/Y-Resolution Unit = inch (2)

Exif Sub IFD

* Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/1600 second = 0.00063 second
* Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 56/10 = F5.60
* Exposure Program = aperture priority (3)
* ISO Speed Ratings = 100
* Original Date/Time = 2007:08:01 13:55:58
* Digitization Date/Time = 2007:08:01 13:55:58
* Shutter Speed Value (APEX) = 697556/65536
Shutter Speed (Exposure Time) = 1/1600.00 second
* Aperture Value (APEX) = 325770/65536
Aperture = F5.60
* Exposure Bias (EV) = -2/3 = -0.67
* Metering Mode = pattern / multi-segment (5)
* Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
* Focal Length = 214/1 mm = 214.00 mm
* Color Space = sRGB (1)
* Image Width = 3456
* Image Height = 2304
* Focal Plane X-Resolution = 3456000/874 = 3954.23
* Focal Plane Y-Resolution = 2304000/582 = 3958.76
* Focal Plane X/Y-Resolution Unit = inch (2)
* Custom Rendered = normal process (0)
* Exposure Mode = auto exposure (0)
* White Balance = auto (0)
* Scene Capture Type = standard (0)

Pete
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 10:00
214mm... What lens did you steal, Mark?

Mgdh
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 10:20
Yep

Exif IFD0

* Camera Make = Canon
* Camera Model = Canon EOS 350D DIGITAL
* X-Resolution = 300/0 = Infinity
* Y-Resolution = 300/0 = Infinity
* X/Y-Resolution Unit = inch (2)

Exif Sub IFD

* Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/1600 second = 0.00063 second
* Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 56/10 = F5.60
* Exposure Program = aperture priority (3)
* ISO Speed Ratings = 100
* Original Date/Time = 2007:08:01 13:55:58
* Digitization Date/Time = 2007:08:01 13:55:58
* Shutter Speed Value (APEX) = 697556/65536
Shutter Speed (Exposure Time) = 1/1600.00 second
* Aperture Value (APEX) = 325770/65536
Aperture = F5.60
* Exposure Bias (EV) = -2/3 = -0.67
* Metering Mode = pattern / multi-segment (5)
* Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
* Focal Length = 214/1 mm = 214.00 mm
* Color Space = sRGB (1)
* Image Width = 3456
* Image Height = 2304
* Focal Plane X-Resolution = 3456000/874 = 3954.23
* Focal Plane Y-Resolution = 2304000/582 = 3958.76
* Focal Plane X/Y-Resolution Unit = inch (2)
* Custom Rendered = normal process (0)
* Exposure Mode = auto exposure (0)
* White Balance = auto (0)
* Scene Capture Type = standard (0)

Wow. That's complete Neil ;)

214mm... What lens did you steal, Mark?

:D:D:D I got some money for my birthday and went out and bought the (shhhhh) Sigma 70-300 APO :D:D:D That chinook was the first shot with the lens.

I know it does not say 'Canon' or 'L' so many will not approve in the lens forum but I'm going with what I can afford. 'L' glass will be next.

Plus a 4gig card - over 500 shots on there on Wednesday :D

thomascanty
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 10:21
Yay, Mark! Congrats on the new toy!

Mgdh
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 10:23
It's going to take some practice to get used to it but I had some success panning with it at the airshow. The monopod got used a lot to help with support, too.

Note to self, need 'IS' on any future long lens ;)

(Well, I already knew that but could not justify dropping 1000 on a lens for the foreseeable future. The time will come though).

theague
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 10:26
GMAE all.

Have I told you all before how much I hate computers? Yeah I hate computers. Mine is on the fritz right now and driving me crazy. I'm almost to the point that I'm just going to reinstall the OS and hope that fixes everything. :(

Pete
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 10:27
Nice choice Mark, and looks like you're getting good results with it also. You don't need IS, you're macho enough to do without it!

Mgdh
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 10:32

Thanks, Lonnie. I'm looking forward to using it quite a bit. Having been limited to 50mm has been a bit restrictive. Now I'm hoping to get some shots of the surfers and I want to get shots of some horses as well - the rest of the family are nuts about them at the moment :roll:;)

cylentka
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 10:59
GMAE, again, folks.

Awwwwww

Pete, I like the backlit flower shot, great idea.

I agree! I want to try it too!

Top 'o the morning to you too, Bills! (not that its morning any more but its the thought that counts, eh?)

yeah, that!

GMAE all.

Have I told you all before how much I hate computers? Yeah I hate computers. Mine is on the fritz right now and driving me crazy. I'm almost to the point that I'm just going to reinstall the OS and hope that fixes everything. :(

Hi Kody! I hope you get the puter fixed. Mr. Monkey Pants has been missed.

Well I actually like my insurance company today. My daughter opened her car door too wide earlier in the week and dinged another car. The people wanted it fixed so I gave them my insurance info. Insurance called today to verify the ding and said they would take care of it, no deductible applies because it wasn't a collision as both cars were parked. YAY! I was not wanting to pay hundreds of dollars because of a door ding. :rolleyes: Hopefully they will not raise my premiums either because it wasn't a driving error or anything like that. This is only the second claim I've ever submitted in 30 years of driving! (the other claim was in 1988 when someone ran a stop sign and totaled my ancient 1974 Chevy Nova)

BillsBayou
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 11:02
Top 'o the morning to you too, Bills!

And the rest of the day to yourself.

neil_r
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 11:03
Wow. That's complete Neil ;)

Always thorough me ;)

D I got some money for my birthday and went out and bought the (shhhhh) Sigma 70-300 APO :D:D:D That chinook was the first shot with the lens.

Looking forward to seeing the results.

You will save a fortune on shoe leather now without having to walk so close to things to shoot them (well it is one way to rationalise the cost of a big lens)

<<< Edit >> I have just read that last line again, I should have been born a woman :-)

cylentka
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 11:04
YAY, Bills is Irish too!

misspix
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 11:11
*trip*
My family thinks I as twisted (you all hush!) I lose it when someone falls. Can't help it. Falling down is just funny! Exceptions are babies and very old folk, not so funny then.
Also man screams (i'm giggling just thinking about it). Man screams just kill me!

VaVoom!
Gorgeous!
Awwwwwwwww!
I'm going to foist this one on you (because I like it).

Wow!

Wow X 10!
G'mae Bills :D

Well I actually like my insurance company today. My daughter opened her car door too wide earlier in the week and dinged another car. The people wanted it fixed so I gave them my insurance info. Insurance called today to verify the ding and said they would take care of it, no deductible applies because it wasn't a collision as both cars were parked. YAY! I was not wanting to pay hundreds of dollars because of a door ding. :rolleyes: Hopefully they will not raise my premiums either because it wasn't a driving error or anything like that. This is only the second claim I've ever submitted in 30 years of driving! (the other claim was in 1988 when someone ran a stop sign and totaled my ancient 1974 Chevy Nova)
Good news Wands. I hate insurance on general principles.

Mark: Congrats on the new lens :D I will be owning a 10-22 in the very near future. I C A N N O T wait!

Howdee pals and gals :)

misspix
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 11:12
Always thorough me ;)

Looking forward to seeing the results.

You will save a fortune on shoe leather now without having to walk so close to things to shoot them (well it is one way to rationalise the cost of a big lens)

<<< Edit >> I have just read that last line again, I should have been born a woman :-)
ROFL!:lol:

Athena
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 11:21
Very nice - play them both. Just have to wait a few minutes for it to cycle back to yellow. ;)

Another game, sheesh, will they ever end. ;)
I subscribe to more than I can keep up with as it is, but must go look at this one, I just can't help myself. ;)It's sort of like TPBM except it's all based on colors and you don't have to think of a PBM. :D

jbarclay
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 11:35
G'MAE everybody.... I am all caught up, and back in the Good 'Ol USA.

I don't think I want to play all of the quizzes and stuff. You guys have way too much time on your hands. :)

misspix
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 11:38
Hi Jack :)

Glad you are home safe and sound.

jbarclay
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 11:39
I'm like Jim, I have trouble keeping up with this thread, so I can't go much of any place else.

misspix
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 11:41
Well tis well known that men aren't so good with multi tasking :)

I never ask hubby to take out the garbage and mow the lawn at the same time. Just asking for trouble there. :lol:

jbarclay
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 11:41
Hi Terri, thanks, it's good to be home. I have a lot of catching up to do. Nearly three weeks is a long time to be away.

Athena
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 11:42
Welcome home Jack. :)

jbarclay
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 11:42

I never ask hubby to take out the garbage and mow the lawn at the same time. Just asking for trouble there. :lol:

Hey,........ I resemble that remark. :) :oops:

jbarclay
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 11:43
Thanks Athena.

jbarclay
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 11:50
Mark, congratulations on the new lens. Let's see more of the airshow shots.

Pete, that is a fine Flower, with a very nice prespective. I like the exposure you got on that.

"3" Come on we have to give Cat about 500 pages to come back to. :)

Pete
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 11:50
Finally a refraction that I'm happy with. Look closely enough and you can see me!

http://www.the-aperture.com/EE/photos/normal/IMG_5411.jpg

larger:- http://www.the-aperture.com/EE/photos/large/IMG_5411.jpg

BillsBayou
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 11:52
You and your world in a drop of water.

Nice shot.

Finally a refraction that I'm happy with. Look closely enough and you can see me!

http://www.the-aperture.com/EE/photos/normal/IMG_5411.jpg

larger:- http://www.the-aperture.com/EE/photos/large/IMG_5411.jpg

Pete
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 11:53
Thanks, Bill... Tricksy little buggers, water drops are!

jbarclay
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 12:01
Pete, it looks like you did that nicely.

Pete
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 12:02
Shazzam!!

http://www.the-aperture.com/EE/photos/normal/IMG_5452.jpg

BearLeeAlive
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 12:14

Pppppfttt :razz:

Nice drops Pete, I was doing some work with them a while ago. I have yet to do the processing though, so far behind on that stuff.

WB Jack.

misspix
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 12:31
Nice drop Pete :D

Jim! Did you just pppppppppft me?!?!?!?!? :shock: :lol:

BearLeeAlive
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 12:38
Jim! Did you just pppppppppft me?!?!?!?!? :shock: :lol:
I sure did Missy, you be watchin' your step around here, what with all that male bashin' and all. :p :lol:

Skrim17
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 13:45
Great shot Pete!!

Pete
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 13:48
Thanks Crissa, it was worth trampling the flower-bed for!

theague
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 13:53
Pete, what is the new lens? I love the refraction shot!

cylentka
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 13:55
Just got back from a walk, damn it is HOT out there!

Welcome back, Jack!

Pete
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 13:57
Meet Ali, eBay addict...

"Go and get me the biscuits, I can't leave this Polar Bear, it's got 34 minutes to go"

http://www.the-aperture.com/EE/photos/normal/IMG_5505.jpg

Pete
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 13:58
Pete, what is the new lens? I love the refraction shot!

It's the 100mm f/2.8, it's had loads of use recently. Probably more than any other lens, I love it.

theague
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 14:01
Ahh, the 100mm macro one?

Pete
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 14:03
Yeah, the macro one. Amazingly versatile for it's fixed focal length. Sharp, fast, what more could you want?

cylentka
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 14:04
Maybe I should get a macro lens when I get some extra cash again. I got this little bugger on my walk today. With the 24-105, handheld outside. My very firstest dragon fly!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/cylentka/IMG_3789fsm.jpg

timbernet
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 14:06
Maybe I should get a macro lens when I get some extra cash again. I got this little bugger on my walk today. With the 24-105, handheld outside. My very firstest dragon fly!

WOW! For the lens you were using, that is a great shot!

Pete
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 14:06
Great attempt, Wanda. Really odd pose he's got there.

Yeah, the macro lens is very lush...!

thomascanty
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 14:11

I agree! Reminds me of this shot I got last year with my 17-40.
http://www.ldphotography.net/eeTravel/images/medium/20D_Death_Valley_153.jpg

Too bad I screwed up the focus so bad. I was too concerned about creeping up on him without scaring him away, all the while wishing I had another lens on the camera...

cylentka
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 14:11

Great attempt, Wanda. Really odd pose he's got there.

Yeah, the macro lens is very lush...!

Thanks guys! Most of the dragon flies I could not get close to at all. They make shooting bees seem easy. I don't know why he had that odd pose. Acted like he was going to try to sting me or something if I got too close. He stayed right on that branch as I kept moving in closer and closer until I was actually too close to focus. Snapping away as I moved in. I think he thought I was a weird bird, lol.

BillsBayou
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 14:12
Get a can of spray glue ;)

theague
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 14:12
i tried to capture a dragonfly last weekend on the hike... it didn't work so hot though.

Speaking of which, I still haven't gotten to even LOOK at those photos yet bcause of the damn computer.

cylentka
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 14:13
I agree! Reminds me of this shot I got last year with my 17-40.

Too bad I screwed up the focus so bad. I was too concerned about creeping up on him without scaring him away, all the while wishing I had another lens on the camera...

I think that is pretty awesome Lonnie! As soon as I got to the pond and saw all the dragonflies I was wishing I had stuck a tube or two in my back pocket. But then I'd still be out there getting a heat stroke.:p

cylentka
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 14:14
Get a can of spray glue ;)

We've accused Pete of that before, lol.

cylentka
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 14:15
I need to switch my walks to 5 in the morning to get any decent shots. This afternoon sunshine just ruins them all.

jbarclay
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 14:16
Are all you guys chasing Dragon flies around? :)

Hi Wanda, thanks, it sure is good to be home. Now if I didn't have to be at work.

cylentka
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 14:16
*wavomg at Ali* :D Buying or selling? I'm thinking of selling some of Allie's picture books on ebay.

jbarclay
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 14:17
Lonnie, how's the cat doing? It had better not ruin your Colorado trip.

Pete
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 14:17
*wavomg at Ali* :D Buying or selling? I'm thinking of selling some of Allie's picture books on ebay.

She's buying.... She gets a bit panicky when she gets outbid.

cylentka
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 14:18
Are all you guys chasing Dragon flies around? :)

Hi Wanda, thanks, it sure is good to be home. Now if I didn't have to be at work.

Jack, I joined the POTN losers club, where we are all trying to drop a few pounds. One of the suggestions was to take a daily walk with camera in hand and then post a photo from the walk. So I went to a pond down the road to see what I could shoot. Saw a red-winged blackbird but he was too far away.

jbarclay
3rd of August 2007 (Fri), 14:18
Pete, I think I recognise that look. It's the "you better get that thing out of my face, if you value your life at all" look. :)