PDA

View Full Version : The 2nd official Random Discussion For TPBM Photo's and Photographers Thread (2)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124

cfpackerfan
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 13:12
Athena, sorry, I have no idea. We are a blindless family.

Maxy, your excitement is contagious. ;)

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 13:30
Athena: Wow on the bird shot. You must have some seriously steady hands.Thanks Puddles. Trust me, there were a few with yucky camera shake too. ;)

Athena, sorry, I have no idea. We are a blindless family.
maybe I could take a picture of it and someone with a better engineering brain could figure it out... ??

Pete
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 13:30
Yeah, it is slow today. It's the weekend. :? LAzy day for us...we've been running like crazy over the last couple weeks, it's nice to not have any plans for the day.
I'm going to work on some photos from camping that I haven't had a chance to even look at yet.

We've had a lazy day as well. Well, it started off being hard work in helping a friend of ours move into his new penthouse apartment. His mother is SO glad he's moving out (he had to move home again after getting divorced).

Since then we've had a lazy day. We were to go down to the zoo today, but it's all been rained off.

X-Factor (what you call "American Idol") starts tonight. Good old Simon Cowell and Sharon Osbourne.

Does anyone know how to take down plantation blinds?? They are set into the windowframe with metal brackets and for the life of me I can't figure out how to take one down. :roll: One of the living room ones has a popped cord that needs to be pushed back in, but it's in the back and I need to take it down to do that... Help?

I'm sure Builder Jim will respond....

puddlepirate44
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 13:35
Does anyone know how to take down plantation blinds?? They are set into the windowframe with metal brackets and for the life of me I can't figure out how to take one down. :roll: One of the living room ones has a popped cord that needs to be pushed back in, but it's in the back and I need to take it down to do that... Help?

I have a tried and true method. However, it's not recommended to those that:

A: Like their walls the way they are, or
B: Get light-headed around mass destruction, or
C: Don't own a sledge hammer.

The blinds themselves come out of the metal bracket. There might be a facia piece that needs to be removed first. They put it up there for aesthetic reasons. Look for little slidey pieces of plastic to remove. That's a start.

short5
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 13:44
Does anyone know how to take down plantation blinds?? No idea what that is for sure but if I were to guess they have a dowel of sorts at the top with a pin on each end to set into the bracket. Try twisting and lifting. If that does not work try pushing hard to one side, compressing possible hidden pin, and lifting on other side. If that doesn't work go find your plantation overseer I am sure he knows how to do it.

And she said we are adopting a greyhound in February (they have them at the art festival then)!!!

Good news on the lens. Is it a rescue hound from the races? If so remember they are not house broken, or obedient, or socialized, but they chase a fake rabbit to the left real good. Tell Mom you want a black lab:D.

BearLeeAlive
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 13:46
The blinds themselves come out of the metal bracket. There might be a facia piece that needs to be removed first. They put it up there for aesthetic reasons. Look for little slidey pieces of plastic to remove. That's a start.
Yup, either that, or some of the metal ones have a hinge on the front of the mounting bracket that flips up or down

Actually, never heard of the term plantation blinds, maybe they are something other than what I am thinkin' of.

But what do I know, I am a builder not a decorator. :)

short5
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 13:47
maybe I could take a picture of it and someone with a better engineering brain could figure it out... ?? My brain is sort of rotten and insane but that is a good idea.

X-Factor (what you call "American Idol") starts tonight. Good old Simon Cowell and Sharon Osbourne.
NO:shock: The horror, the horror....

BearLeeAlive
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 13:48
maybe I could take a picture of it and someone with a better engineering brain could figure it out... ??
Pictures are good.

But, I am heading over to my brothers house to do some stuff there.

puddlepirate44
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 13:49
But what do I know, I am a builder on a decorator. :)

Not going there. Will not go there.....

BearLeeAlive
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 13:50
Not going there. Will not go there.....
Oops. LMFFHO

cfpackerfan
Not going there. Will not go there..... I didn't know Lisa was a decorator? :lol:

Pete
My brain is sort of rotten and insane but that is a good idea.

NO:shock: The horror, the horror....

Yeah, I know it's car-crash TV.

WE just find it hilarious that the people that are so bad really beleive that they're good enough to get through.

BearLeeAlive
Fixed :oops:

BearLeeAlive
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 13:51
I didn't know Lisa was a decorator? :lol:
Thanks Cat, I like your interpretation of my boo boo better. :)

Pete
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 13:53
Fixed :oops:

Far too late, however. You've been quoted for posterity...! :D

short5
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 13:58
See ya Jim best wishes to your brother. *Don't use the mens room seat here before you go, I was up to no good last night*

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 14:10
IThe blinds themselves come out of the metal bracket. There might be a facia piece that needs to be removed first. They put it up there for aesthetic reasons. Look for little slidey pieces of plastic to remove. That's a start.
I took that front decoration piece off days ago. But since then I have made no progress in actually taking the darn blinds down. lol
No idea what that is for sure but if I were to guess they have a dowel of sorts at the top with a pin on each end to set into the bracket. Try twisting and lifting. If that does not work try pushing hard to one side, compressing possible hidden pin, and lifting on other side. If that doesn't work go find your plantation overseer I am sure he knows how to do it.

that sounds confusey. I think I need to read through this a few times and let my brain process it...

Yup, either that, or some of the metal ones have a hinge on the front of the mounting bracket that flips up or down

Actually, never heard of the term plantation blinds, maybe they are something other than what I am thinkin' of.

plantation blinds are just heavier weight blinds with thicker slats that look as if they are made from wood. kwim?

I will take a photo and post asap. :D

short5
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 14:15
Athena try a search for instillation instructions the just hold them backward

Pete
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 14:24
Or just grab the bottom part of the blind and pull.

Hard....

short5
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 14:27
Thats what I would do. Them you will know how to take the others down and your only question will be "anyone know how to fix a plantation blind".

short5
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 14:30
http://www.shutterclassic.com/installation_sss.html

short5
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 14:32
http://www.blinds.com/control/infopage?page=cartwright_shutter_installation.html&template=pop2console

short5
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 14:33
If you are REALLY pressed I can be there in about 6 hours, I have a hammer.

cfpackerfan
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 14:45
If you are REALLY pressed I can be there in about 6 hours, I have a hammer.oooh...Athena! I say, be really pressed. :lol:

I'm still processing camp photos... this is one of my favorites so far.

Jamie Holladay
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 14:46
G'mae everyone!

Back from the festivities.....now uploading 200+ pics on the computer, it was very fun.

And I love my mom SOOOOOO!!!! much today......she said for my birthday she'll buy me a new lens.....YAY!!!

And she said we are adopting a greyhound in February (they have them at the art festival then)!!!

Happy Day!
That is nice Maxy. What is she going to get you?
oooh...Athena! I say, be really pressed. :lol:

That is cute Cat.

short5
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 14:49
Cute Kit. Is that a crop? Do you have one with the little guys feet in it? He looks a bit amputated to me.

cfpackerfan
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:06
Cute Kit. Is that a crop? Do you have one with the little guys feet in it? He looks a bit amputated to me.It's not a crop, unfortunately. This was one of the shots that my sister took after she absconded with my camera. :lol:
I think there is another that is similar though... let me check.

Edit: I checked, and she did get a full shot, but it's blurry. :? Also, this one doesn't look as good with the vintage processing.

Pete
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:13
oooh...Athena! I say, be really pressed. :lol:

Nice, Cat.

But what would that look like with a tight crop on just the hands?

cfpackerfan
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:15
Nice, Cat.

But what would that look like with a tight crop on just the hands?Thanks... I tried that.. the quality isn't good enough to handle a tight crop.

Pete
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:16
Like this. It's something that I see as having an emotional attachment to it.

I just love that strong father/son bond.

Pete
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:18
Thanks... I tried that.. the quality isn't good enough to handle a tight crop.

Shame... But keep it in mind for future events. I never have the opportunity for opportunities like that...

cfpackerfan
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:20
Like this. It's something that I see as having an emotional attachment to it.

I just love that strong father/son bond.

I really like that too... maybe I can mess with it in PP enough to make the lower quality of the pic insignificant. ;)

Pete
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:23
I really like that too... maybe I can mess with it in PP enough to make the lower quality of the pic insignificant. ;)

Film grain and desaturation are your friends here... :)

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:25
If you are REALLY pressed I can be there in about 6 hours, I have a hammer.Aw - that's super sweet!

oooh...Athena! I say, be really pressed. he has a hammer tho! I don't want to be pressed with a hammer... :eek:

BLIND UPDATE: when I went over and got close enough to take the macro shots of the mounting thing I figured it out. It's fancy and required a tool to pry the hinge thing up, but I got it off. And I fixed the blind! And I put it back up and it works! But in my hast and giddiness in lifting the hinge, I forgot to take off the little plastic clips that hold the facade on and they broke. :confused: I didn't realize they'd snapped till I tried to put the facade back on. Oh well, at least the slats on the blind can be opened now! :D

I give you.....working Plantation Blinds. ;)

Pete
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:27
Whats at the top of that blind, Athena? Us blokey types need to see the gubbins we're dealing with.

Maxed Out
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:28
Good news on the lens. Is it a rescue hound from the races? If so remember they are not house broken, or obedient, or socialized, but they chase a fake rabbit to the left real good. Tell Mom you want a black lab:D.

im not sure, they are retired racing greyhounds.....

cfpackerfan
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:35
Congrats on your blind accomplishments, Athena. :D

Marian touched her first snake. :lol: Of course, he had just eaten and wasn't moving very quickly, nor was he in the mood to be feisty.

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:40
Whats at the top of that blind, Athena? Us blokey types need to see the gubbins we're dealing with.

You mean the hinge bit?

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:41
Congrats on your blind accomplishments, Athena. :D

Marian touched her first snake. :lol: Of course, he had just eaten and wasn't moving very quickly, nor was he in the mood to be feisty.

That's cool Cat. I like snakes. :D (and apples...lol)

Pete
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:42
Yeah... Normally, there's a flap thing at the front that you can flip up. There should be one either side (might need encouragement with a flat screwdriver), then you can slide the blind out toward you.

After that, you should be able to see the screws holding the holders onto the window frame.

Pete
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:43
That's cool Cat. I like snakes. :D (and apples...lol)

That's what got us men into all that trouble a few thousand years ago!!! :D

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:43
BTW Pete, I looked at the tripod I have sitting on hold in my BH shopping cart and it's a 190XBD with a 488RC2 head. I can't remember what my other 2 tripod's legs are (I have 2 different ones), but the heads are both 488RC2s. I like that. The head could be used on a monopod too, right? Still not sure what to do about the situation...

If we weren't spending a fortune on this 2 months in the states I'd just get both, but I am trying (so hard) to be conservative... sigh.

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:44
Yeah... Normally, there's a flap thing at the front that you can flip up. There should be one either side (might need encouragement with a flat screwdriver), then you can slide the blind out toward you.

After that, you should be able to see the screws holding the holders onto the window frame.

I already fixed it Pete - didn't you read the text with the photo above? :lol: ;)

short5
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:45

Yes Athena we want to see your gubbins. What did I just say?

Athena
That's what got us men into all that trouble a few thousand years ago!!! :D

Yeah, I know. But somehow you lot still manage to get into trouble all these thousands of years later. ;)

Athena
Yes Athena we want to see your gubbins. What did I just say?

:shock: oh - you mean the blinds. Already posted. ;)

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:46
ok - my RAM is fried. time to reboot...

Jamie Holladay
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:51
BTW Pete, I looked at the tripod I have sitting on hold in my BH shopping cart and it's a 190XBD with a 488RC2 head. I can't remember what my other 2 tripod's legs are (I have 2 different ones), but the heads are both 488RC2s. I like that. The head could be used on a monopod too, right? Still not sure what to do about the situation...

If we weren't spending a fortune on this 2 months in the states I'd just get both, but I am trying (so hard) to be conservative... sigh.
Yes. I use my 488rc on my monopod and tripod.

Pete
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:58
I had to get a different head for my monopod, the threads weren't the same.

But then again, I like having the lightweight head on the monopod.

Pete
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:59
I already fixed it Pete - didn't you read the text with the photo above? :lol: ;)

Sorry... I tend to just concentrate on the pretty pictures... lol

cfpackerfan
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:59
That's cool Cat. I like snakes. :D (and apples...lol)I like snakes too. Always have. They fascinate me.

Yes Athena we want to see your gubbins. What did I just say? :shock: Puds reprimanded us for balloon talk, and you think gubbins talk is going to fly?? I don't think so.

ok - my RAM is fried. I prefer my RAM braised, with applesauce.

Pete
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 16:01
I prefer my RAM braised, with applesauce.

Mint sauce goes better with RAM....

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 16:11

How much weight can the smaller head bear? And does it take rc2 plates?

ew...ew..ew... mint sauce is yucky. blech. :mad:

Pete
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 16:16
How much weight can the smaller head bear? And does it take rc2 plates?

Yes, the monopod head takes the same plate.

I pretty much always use it with the 100-400 attached. When used on the lenses trpod ring, the weight is balanced, so there's no strain.

cylentka
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 16:17
Hi again, all. Just catching up a bit to see if anything much is happening. Glad you got your blinds fixed Athena. I have some like those (or similar) in my living room. We have been so busy today and I'm pooped already!

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 16:24
Yes, the monopod head takes the same plate.

I pretty much always use it with the 100-400 attached. When used on the lenses trpod ring, the weight is balanced, so there's no strain.

Cool! Do you remember which head you have? (not THAT out of context is pretty funny...)

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 16:25
Hi Wanda - what cha been up to today? It was Domestic Goddess day for me - :roll: Not my favorite. But I like clean things, so it's gotta be done. Contemplating some hair color too. :D

cylentka
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 16:30
Domestic stuff here too. Spent most of the morning finding the kitchen counters. Where DOES all the clutter come from?? Got out all the school supplies and double-checked that we had everything (we do). Went through more of Allie's old stuff to put in hand-me-down bags to take to the cousins tomorrow. Coats, gloves, scarves, hats, boots, sweaters, jackets, pajamas... sheesh! Took the kid to swim lessons at the Y and worked out a while. Went to the grocery and somehow spent over $200! Did laundry between all that. More than you wanted to know, eh?

And now I must supervise Allie's practices. I've let her slack a bit over the summer and its really showing. :confused: TTL

Pete
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 16:33
Cool! Do you remember which head you have? (not THAT out of context is pretty funny...)

I have the 234RC head on the 676B monopod. The head is a very simple 2-way one (no pan, just flips the camera from horizontal to vertical).

puddlepirate44
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 16:33
If you are REALLY pressed I can be there in about 6 hours, I have a hammer.

If you're really, really pressed, I could be there in a few days, hungry, grumpy, weilding a sledgehammer and in real need to use the bathroom.

Don't be that pressed. :shock:

I give you.....working Plantation Blinds. ;)

Congrats! Now I'll just go and unpack the Jeep....

Yes Athena we want to see your gubbins.

:shock: I don't know if I'm old enough for that.

Yeah, I know. But somehow you lot still manage to get into trouble all these thousands of years later. ;)

You say all of this right after I bought a bunch of apples at the Farmer's Market. Mmmmm....

You can buy an adapter for the threads so it'll work on both 'pods.

:shock: Puds reprimanded us for balloon talk, and you think gubbins talk is going to fly?? I don't think so.

Yup, that's right! There will be no mention of ballooning gubbi... No gubbining balloo... AND JIM SHOULD STAY OFF OF THAT DECORATOR DURING FAMILY HOUR!!

cfpackerfan
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 16:39
AND JIM SHOULD STAY OFF OF THAT DECORATOR DURING FAMILY HOUR!!ROFLMBO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pete
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 16:41
You can buy an adapter for the threads so it'll work on both 'pods.

Nah.. I like the lighter head on the monopod.

short5
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 17:06
:lol::lol:Puds is here:D If you need the rest room buddy I cleaned the mens room last night. If you stand on the toilet seat you may be able to reach that bill on the ceiling. Oh yeah I put an ash tray out for peanut shells.

Later folks we are going to try and make the rodeo and watch some guys try to ride an animal that cannot be ridden.

Pete
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 17:07
Later folks we are going to try and make the rodeo and watch some guys try to ride an animal that cannot be ridden.

Would that be a decorator, by any chance?

short5
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 17:08
Would that be a decorator, by any chance?

:lol::lol: Jim has kids.

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 17:13
I have the 234RC head on the 676B monopod. The head is a very simple 2-way one (no pan, just flips the camera from horizontal to vertical).do you like it enough to recommend it (is it a ballhead?)? Do you have the 488 in your tripod? How do the two compare?

If you're really, really pressed, I could be there in a few days, hungry, grumpy, weilding a sledgehammer and in real need to use the bathroom.
Don't be that pressed. :shock:
Congrats! Now I'll just go and unpack the Jeep....I am no longer pressed at all, but thank you for the very generous offer. :D (sorry you packed the jeep)

You say all of this right after I bought a bunch of apples at the Farmer's Market. Mmmmm....
Men are no doubt still compelled by forces which are completely beyond understanding to them. It's not necessarily a bad thing, go with it. :)

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 17:15
Wanda - sounds like you are living my day. Are you by chance considering a haircolor touchup? Is your child sliding down the hill behind the house on a piece of cardboard box? Do you know in your mind that there will be major grass stains to clean and filth to be scrubbed off her sweaty little body? Are you having kielbasa for dinner? :lol:

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 17:16
opps, scratch the cardboard box part. They are now digging a hole in the hill with a plastic shovel. The homeowners association is going to be SO happy! :roll: :lol: :shock:

Pete
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 17:18
do you like it enough to recommend it (is it a ballhead?)? Do you have the 488 in your tripod? How do the two compare?

No the mono head isn't a ball-head. It's very static and that's the way I like it. If you basically want to bolt the camera/lens to the top of the monopod (with a QR plate), then it's perfect.

I have thr 486RC2 head on the tripod. It's the small ballhead without pan.

It annoys me when I try and use it for macro work. When I get the view I want and tighten up, the view will drop a little when I let go. I don't use it that much though. The vast majority of my macro work is hand held.

cfpackerfan
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 17:18
Nothing like a hammock for an afternoon nap.

Pete
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 17:19
Cat, I really like the look of your post processing, really nice tones and colours there. Great work.

cfpackerfan
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 17:20
Is your child sliding down the hill behind the house on a piece of cardboard box? :shock:

That's how Joshua broke his elbow when he was 4 years old.

cfpackerfan
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 17:21
Cat, I really like the look of your post processing, really nice tones and colours there. Great work.
Thanks Pete. I have discovered that LightRoom lets me play with the Olympus pictures too. :D I don't have quite as much leverage as I do with the 30D RAW files, but it still lets me have quite a bit of fun with them. ;)

Pete
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 17:23
Sweet.. I should learn how to mess with ACR to get effects along those lines. I'm still stuck in the archaic world of photo-realism though. I like to produce things the way I saw them, not how I'd imagine them to be.

If that makes any sense.

I'm lacking in creativity.

cfpackerfan
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 17:27
Sweet.. I should learn how to mess with ACR to get effects along those lines. I'm still stuck in the archaic world of photo-realism though. I like to produce things the way I saw them, not how I'd imagine them to be.

If that makes any sense.

I'm lacking in creativity.
Makes total sense, and it's not archaic. ;)

I will usually leave photos as they are, but sometimes I will get on a kick, and I like to play around with different PP.

Mgdh
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 17:29
G'mae all.

Just a quick Hi/Bye as we have folks staying and I need to vacate the front room :roll:;)

*secretly installing video camera in the hopes of catching Terri jumping up to get said $100.00 bill*

But wait! There's MORE!

*openly thankful that I don't use men's toilets OR ashtrays!*

*wishing I hadn't parked on the street*

That is so WRONG! Funny, but WRONG.

http://newquay-plus.co.uk/POTN/smilies/rotfl.gif - Nice one, Cat!

G'mae everyone!

Back from the festivities.....now uploading 200+ pics on the computer, it was very fun.

And I love my mom SOOOOOO!!!! much today......she said for my birthday she'll buy me a new lens.....YAY!!!

Happy Day!

Woohoo - good news there, Maxy :D

oooh...Athena! I say, be really pressed.

;)

Love the photo. Another Aww moment.

Yeah, I know. But somehow you lot still manage to get into trouble all these thousands of years later.

What can I say. We're creatures of habit.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D

Puds is here:D If you need the rest room buddy I cleaned the mens room last night. If you stand on the toilet seat you may be able to reach that bill on the ceiling. Oh yeah I put an ash tray out for peanut shells.

http://newquay-plus.co.uk/POTN/smilies/rotfl.gif

*running off to hide*

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 17:56
:shock:

That's how Joshua broke his elbow when he was 4 years old.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
They are bath/showering now - filthy, but all bones intact. Should I never let them do it again?? Or do you think it was just a freak accident?

cfpackerfan
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 17:59
They are bath/showering now - filthy, but all bones intact. Should I never let them do it again?? Or do you think it was just a freak accident?Every kid in our family has used cardboard to sled down hills. Joshua is the only one who has ever had an accident... and it hasn't stopped anyone in my family from doing it since, either. :lol:

He was sliding down the hill, surfer-style, and just fell off. I guess he landed at just the right angle to break his elbow. Of course, the hill was fairly steep, and he was going fairly fast. :lol:

Must be hereditary. I broke my wrist when I was 6 years old, sledding down a hill in a wagon.

Jamie Holladay
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 18:02
Must be hereditary. I broke my wrist when I was 6 years old, sledding down a hill in a wagon.
[nice mode] ON [/nice mode]
I bet you were having a good time just before that though.

cfpackerfan
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 18:05
[nice mode] ON [/nice mode]
I bet you were having a good time just before that though.Absolutely. The cutest guy on the block was giving me a ride. :lol: In his wagon. His new one. It was red.

Jamie Holladay
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 18:05
Cool.

cylentka
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 18:50
Wanda - sounds like you are living my day. Are you by chance considering a haircolor touchup? Is your child sliding down the hill behind the house on a piece of cardboard box? Do you know in your mind that there will be major grass stains to clean and filth to be scrubbed off her sweaty little body? Are you having kielbasa for dinner? :lol:

Hey, I was going to touch up my hair today, but decided I didn't have time. And we're leaving at 7am to go to my mom's, so no time tomorrow. It'll wait another week or two. Everyone knows my roots are gray anyway.:p We have no hills to speak of, so my kid was not sliding. But she did go outside and swing for the longest time. The weather is cool here today. I mostly worried about her falling off and landing in cat poop. :rolleyes: I noticed some when I mowed the lawn and never got back out to clean it up properly. No kielbasa for dinner, darn it! But Allie did have pepperoni pizza. I had a Lean Cuisine dinner with turkey slices, pretend stuffing, and cinnamon apples.

. I'm still stuck in the archaic world of photo-realism though. I like to produce things the way I saw them, not how I'd imagine them to be.

Me too. And I still often prefer the spontaneous snap to the composed photo, although I've been working on composition. Course now my shots look "composed", so I gotta find a happy medium soon.:confused:

BearLeeAlive
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 19:37
I like that one Cat.
BTW Pete, I looked at the tripod I have sitting on hold in my BH shopping cart and it's a 190XBD with a 488RC2 head. I can't remember what my other 2 tripod's legs are (I have 2 different ones), but the heads are both 488RC2s. I like that. The head could be used on a monopod too, right? Still not sure what to do about the situation....
I use the 488 on my tripod and the 486 on my monopod. I use a monopod for more than 75% of my macro work, it really help steady things for me. I often leave the tension on the ballhead so I can force it to move if needed, but it will stay as set without forcing it.
AND JIM SHOULD STAY OFF OF THAT DECORATOR DURING FAMILY HOUR!!
If the kids aren't home, and Lisa the Decorator is willing, any hour is fine with me. ;)
Hey, I was going to touch up my hair today, but decided I didn't have time. And we're leaving at 7am to go to my mom's, so no time tomorrow. It'll wait another week or two. Everyone knows my roots are gray anyway
Ya for the gray. :lol:

cfpackerfan
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 19:39
If the kids aren't home, and Lisa the Decorator is willing, any hour is fine with me. ;)
*making mental note: always call before showing up at Jim's house*

BearLeeAlive
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 19:42
*making mental note: always call before showing up at Jim's house*
LOL, maybe not a bad idea. :)

cfpackerfan
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 19:52
Hmmm... a draganized campfire?

cfpackerfan
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 19:56
And does this shed some light on the "rock-a-bye-baby" nursery rhyme? :lol:

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 20:21
He was sliding down the hill, surfer-style, and just fell off. I guess he landed at just the right angle to break his elbow. Of course, the hill was fairly steep, and he was going fairly fast. :lol: Our hill is very steep, but so far they are sliding down it on their bottoms pretending they are sledding. I was pleased to see very few grass stains when they came in because there are pine needles all over the ground, but then they trailed about a 1/2 pound of the darn things through the freshly vaccuumed house! :roll: :lol:

Hey, I was going to touch up my hair today,
she did go outside and swing for the longest time.
Allie did have pepperoni pizza. remarkably similar when you add in all the manual house labor. ;)

I use the 488 on my tripod and the 486 on my monopod. I use a monopod for more than 75% of my macro work, it really help steady things for me. I often leave the tension on the ballhead so I can force it to move if needed, but it will stay as set without forcing it.Off to read up on this one at B&H. :)

Jamie Holladay
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 20:29
Our hill is very steep, but so far they are sliding down it on their bottoms pretending they are sledding. I was pleased to see very few grass stains when they came in because there are pine needles all over the ground, but then they trailed about a 1/2 pound of the darn things through the freshly vaccuumed house! :roll: :lol:
Boys will be Boys and they are only boys once. ;)

timbernet
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 20:36

The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys :-D

Jamie Holladay
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 20:42
Yeah and ours are expensive, huh Scott?

Permagrin
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 20:43
Hmmm... a draganized campfire?

Cool! I like that :)

timbernet
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 20:54
Yeah and ours are expensive, huh Scott?

Heh - yea... your 240 more than the camera gear :-D

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 20:55

wait...I thought boys were boys forever, but just got bigger? :)

Jamie Holladay
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 20:58
Heh - yea... your 240 more than the camera gear :-D
Yeah.... so true
wait...I thought boys were boys forever, but just got bigger? :)
Ok let me rephrase
Boys will be boys and they are only LITTLE boy once.

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:00
Look! This monopod (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5495-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_682B_682B_Monopod_Black_.html)has detachable legs!

Maxed Out
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:04
Gmae!

I've been feeling sick again all week.....I took a nap all day after i got back from volunteering......

I'm trying to finish the pics i took today.....it was car show:lol::lol: yup a car show....hehehehe

timbernet
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:04
Look! This monopod (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5495-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_682B_682B_Monopod_Black_.html)has detachable legs!

Does that make it a mono-tripod? :confused:

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:08
Does that make it a mono-tripod? :confused:

or a shape changer :confused: :lol: Or perhaps different enough from my other two manfrotto tripods that I can justify buying it? :D

cfpackerfan
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:10

Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for shopping at B&H.
Sorry, our website is currently undergoing emergency maintenance activity.
Please check back in a few minutes.
We apologize for any inconvenience.

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:11
emergency?!? just when I may have found my tri/monopod solution. Figures... :roll:

BearLeeAlive
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:11
Yup, I would trust that with my camera and lens mounted on top, NOT!!! :)

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:14
Yup, I would trust that with my camera and lens mounted on top, NOT!!! :)
I know what you mean - it's not exactly one you'd walk away from, heh? But it could hold up for a few seconds while I press the remote shutter release, no?

Jamie Holladay
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:17
for what you are wanting it for I think it would work nicely.
or a shape changer :confused: :lol: Or perhaps different enough from my other two manfrotto tripods that I can justify buying it? :D
I was going to suggest a gorillapod (http://www.joby.com/) but I don't that that would work for you, so never mind.

BearLeeAlive
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:20
I have used my Gorilapod SLR Zoom on a couple of occasions and it worked fine. It does have its limits though. It is at quite secure and fairly stable when wrapped around something, but not very good at all as a tripod.

Jamie Holladay
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:25
I have used my Gorilapod SLR Zoom on a couple of occasions and it worked fine. It does have its limits though. It is at quite secure and fairly stable when wrapped around something, but not very good at all as a tripod.
Your right. The thought that passed through my head was she could use it and wrap it around a chair top or bar stool or whatever she might have in the house. It is much cheaper. It was just a though. (and you dont kneed a head)

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:35
I should weigh my camera with the 100mm lens attached...

Jamie Holladay
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:37
which camera and is the 100mm a canon? (stup question I'm sure)

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:37
scale says it's only 3 pounds... I would have guessed more. Does that sound right?! :confused:

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:38
which camera and is the 100mm a canon? (stup question I'm sure)

5D + EF 100mm (canon) macro lens

Jamie Holladay
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:38
5D + EF 100mm (canon) macro lens
do you have a grip on the 5d?

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:40
Weighed the camera with the 70-200 attached and even that combo is only 5.4 pounds. I have WAY over estimated the weight of my camera + lens and therefore have way over estimated what tripod I require. Doh! Back to browsing!

Maxed Out
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:40

you can find the weight online.....look at B&H for 5d weight and the 100mm weight and tripod weight.....blah blah blah:D

Jamie Holladay
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:41
5d = 28.6 oz
lens = 21.1 oz
Total 49.7oz /16 = 3.1 lbs

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:42
do you have a grip on the 5d?

nope, I'm not a grip user. ;)

BearLeeAlive
scale says it's only 3 pounds... I would have guessed more. Does that sound right?! :confused:
Sounds about right.

Jamie Holladay
nope, I'm not a grip user. ;)
should weight way less than 4lbs

BearLeeAlive
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:43
I bought the grip for my 5D and hardly ever use it, I much prefer the form of the camera without. It makes it much more portable, especially when in my Pelican cases or packs.

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:44
I bought the grip for my 5D and hardly ever use it, I much prefer the form of the camera without. It makes it much more portable, especially when in my Pelican cases or packs.

I carry 2 extra batteries in my bag - I'd rather have the weight there than on the camera. I imagine the vert shutter release would be nice, but not nice enough for me to warrant the purchase. ;)

Jamie Holladay
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:45
oh i have to have the grip. just feels better in my hand
I have one for the XT and ordered one from B&H for the 30D right after I finished PayPaling Lisa.

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:47
5D is bigger - you might like it without the grip. ;)

Jamie Holladay
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:47
I carry 2 extra batteries in my bag - I'd rather have the weight there than on the camera. I imagine the vert shutter release would be nice, but not nice enough for me to warrant the purchase. ;)
That is another reason I like it.

Maxed Out
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:49
i asked my mom what the money limit on the lens i want.....she said $400, no more......would the tammy 28-75mm be the best in this price range?

Jamie Holladay
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:49
5D is bigger - you might like it without the grip. ;)
I might. I have never held one so I couldn't say.

BearLeeAlive
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:52
I imagine if I used mine more I would get more used to it, but since my first SLR over 30 years ago I have had one the same form and am so used to it. That is the same reason I passed up on a Rebel and went to the 20D, I did not like the small size, it just was not what I was used to, and even though I shot Nikon in my film/slide days the 20D, and now the 5D have similar size and shape.

Woolburr
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:53
emergency?!? just when I may have found my tri/monopod solution. Figures... :roll:

I played with one a while back...I don't think you would want to put anything more than your G7 on it in tripod mode....it is a very solid monopod...but the tripod legs leave a lot to be desired in the strength department.

Jamie Holladay
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:55
Maxy

LOOK (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/3results/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&shs=28-75mm&ci=8454&sb=ps&sq=desc)

Athena
I played with one a while back...I don't think you would want to put anything more than your G7 on it in tripod mode....it is a very solid monopod...but the tripod legs leave a lot to be desired in the strength department.

Thanks Dan - I'll cross that one off the short list then. :)

BearLeeAlive
i asked my mom what the money limit on the lens i want.....she said $400, no more......would the tammy 28-75mm be the best in this price range?
HERE (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/284399-REG/Tamron_AF09C700_28_75mm_f_2_8_XR_Di.html)is your answer Max, with shipping it would be right on the nose.

EDIT: To slow for Jamie tonight. ;)

Jamie Holladay
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:57
I am on a ROLLLLLLLLLLL Tide Roll

BearLeeAlive
Off to do something I rarely do, watch a movie.

Later then. :)

Maxed Out
Maxy

LOOK (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/3results/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&shs=28-75mm&ci=8454&sb=ps&sq=desc)

HERE (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/284399-REG/Tamron_AF09C700_28_75mm_f_2_8_XR_Di.html)is your answer Max, with shipping it would be right on the nose.

EDIT: To slow for Jamie tonight. ;)

wow the pirce went up....it used to be $339:confused:

Athena
Maxy

I bought mine cheaper than that used. Actually, I know someone selling one and suggested he post it here. I'll go check to see if he did. :)

Maxed Out
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 21:59
I bought mine cheaper than that used. Actually, I know someone selling one and suggested he post it here. I'll go check to see if he did. :)

hmmm......i forget about used lenses *off to check ebay*

Jamie Holladay
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 22:01
hmmm......i forget about used lenses *off to check ebay*
easy with the ebay.... check the f/s here first.

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 22:02
Aw Maxy - you missed a SWEET DEAL (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=364193). He posted it yesterday and it sold within the day for CHEAP. Keep checking the POTN for sale threads - that is where I got mine. :)

Woolburr
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 22:03

The best bang for the buck lens in the $400 range is right here. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/149629-USA/Canon_2562A002_Zoom_W_A_Telephoto_EF_28_135mm.html
There are people that complain about it...but I can tell you that I still use mine...when I can get it away from my daughter.

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 22:05
The best bang for the buck lens in the $400 range is right here. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/149629-USA/Canon_2562A002_Zoom_W_A_Telephoto_EF_28_135mm.html
There are people that complain about it...but I can tell you that I still use mine...when I can get it away from my daughter.

The range on that lens is fabulous, but I've had two copies and they were both soft. Sold 'em both.

timbernet
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 22:07
I am not sure if you can front the other $40 - but PuddlePirate, Saravrose, and myself all have this: http://www.adorama.com/TM1750EOS.html?searchinfo=tamron%2017-50&item_no=4

and we really like it...

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 22:09
If you want that one, buy it from Andy (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=364479)- he's only asking $250 for it and I think he's throwing in two filters too!!

Maxed Out
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 22:13
I am not sure if you can front the other $40 - but PuddlePirate, Saravrose, and myself all have this: http://www.adorama.com/TM1750EOS.html?searchinfo=tamron%2017-50&item_no=4

and we really like it...

ive been really debating which one to get......its a 50/50 split with people liking the 28-75mm or 17-50mm better.....pudds gave me a little convincing on the 28-75 but i need more convincing:D

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 22:14
Not sure you'll ever see it for $250 again though. Andy's selling those two lenses for amazingly cheap. I paid around $300 for mine.

Maxed Out
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 22:16
the fact that it is on THIS (http://the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-General-Purpose-Lens.aspx) makes me lean toward that.....ARG! total confusion

Jamie Holladay
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 22:17
does anyone know anything about the Sigma 28-90 3.5-5.6 aspherical macro
I can't find anything on it

cfpackerfan
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 22:17
That was the first real lens I ever bought... LOVED it. It's Wade's now, and it's the only lens he ever uses. Great lens for the money.

Woolburr
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 22:18
The range on that lens is fabulous, but I've had two copies and they were both soft. Sold 'em both.

Mine is optically not far off the L's...just depends on the copy I guess.

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 22:19
I got unlucky twice. :( I loved the range though, it's ideal.

Maxed Out
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 22:19
does anyone know anything about the Sigma 28-90 3.5-5.6 aspherical macro
I can't find anything on it

yeah when i was asking for your kit lens and you said you were selling that one I tried looking it up.....i didnt get anything, only quantaray was the closest match

Athena
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 22:21
Depending on how hard the shipping hit will be, I think I'm going to go with this (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/496256-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto__190XDB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html). I'll leave the legs here and use the head for a monopod at some point in the future.

wu_wei0
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 22:23
Maxy, you could try Sigma4Less. Should be able to get it shipped from there for about 350