PDA

View Full Version : What is your Filter ?

SHiKO
22nd of June 2004 (Tue), 14:11
I have alot of filters and addons for my G3,
but I want to know consider your experiences -
whats your prefered and favorite filters ??

joeyjoeyjoey
24th of June 2004 (Thu), 18:54
It all depends on what Im planing on doing that day. Always attached is my UV and coming in a very close 2nd is my Polarizer.

After that it depends.... usally my cokin 120 and the rest of the cokins i lug around :)

dbump
24th of June 2004 (Thu), 19:00
Ditto. UV and Polarizer are the only ones I have. I'd like to get a neutral density filter; I've seen some great shots done using one.

joeyjoeyjoey
24th of June 2004 (Thu), 21:20
I'd like to get a neutral density filter.

You should. I have a +8 works great!

dbump
24th of June 2004 (Thu), 21:56
Is yours graduated or uniform?
What benefits do you get, aside from the obvious ability to run longer shutter speeds for motion effects in water, etc.?

joeyjoeyjoey
24th of June 2004 (Thu), 22:41
Actually I bought the +8 to have longer shutter times in the day :P

I tend to use that to empathise motion/speed like in panning shots.

I do have a cokin 120 grad that I use when doing more landscape shots at it helps with the difference in exposure between the sky and the land.

Its nice to have when you want that certain look.

Ballen Photo
25th of June 2004 (Fri), 00:07
I try to have a UV filter on every one of my EOS lenses, and I think it would be a good idea for the "G" also, although I haven't even got the adapter for it yet. :shock: As far as other filters go, I've been looking at Cokin systems lately too. A graduated ND filter would be nice, and I've really been wanting an R-72 (InfraRed) filter too. CP's are nice also. I could probably spend a small fortune on filters. :wink:
........Bruce

Warman
25th of June 2004 (Fri), 04:41
I use a skylight as a UV, same thing except for the warming, right?

SHiKO
25th of June 2004 (Fri), 10:33
tnx...

dbump
25th of June 2004 (Fri), 12:20
A graduated or split ND is part clear, part neutral grey. Otherwise, an ND is all grey. I think snazzier split filters come in a bracket that allows you to slide them up and down to determine where the ND area is. Thread-in splits rotate like a polarizer so you can set where the grey is, but not how much of the frame.

I'm not sure which I'd use more often (split vs uniform, that is).

dbump
28th of June 2004 (Mon), 20:52
I've been hunting for more info on ND filters, and ran across this comment, from:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/techniques/in-the-bag.shtml

The filters that I no longer carry are split neutral density (grads). While these used to be de rigueur for landscape photographers, now that I am working 100% digitally they are no longer necessary since I simply shoot two or three bracketed frames and them merge their dynamic range in Photoshop.

There's more extensive info on this technique at:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/blended_exposures.shtml

Sounds like a pretty good idea, though it would require a tripod, I think.
So looks like I'll be shopping for a normal ND filter, which, in addition to the benefits listed above, is also useful for allowing you to open the aperature and increase DOF.

SHiKO
29th of June 2004 (Tue), 12:37
I even have one :)