PDA

View Full Version : Kleptography Redesigned

Don Ellis
27th of June 2004 (Sun), 08:28
http://www.kleptography.com/dl/fm/redesign.jpg.

After three years, I've redesigned Kleptography.

The "line galleries" and "low-res/high-res" galleries were worthy experiments but ultimately they were problematic. The line galleries (side-by-side 640-pixel photos on a single page) had to completely download for viewing. And I didn't like the left-to-right scrolling (being a wheel-mouse man) no matter how much it may have resembled a museum tour... plus there were no words on the photos. And the low- and high-res galleries became a duplication of effort that I was no longer willing to make -- too much coding that took away from the time and pleasure of photography.

So I came up with a compromise -- one of those decisions that's sure to please no one (well, except for me). 8)

Navigation is fairly intuitive with one exception -- when you click a large photo, you return to the gallery. It's the equivalent of a "Back" button.

If you log on, you might want to click "intro" under the new logo for details.

You'll find it in the usual spot... www.kleptography.com

Cheers,

Don

jobe
27th of June 2004 (Sun), 09:48
Hi Don

I love your website and photos, its nice and easy to navigate and I totally agree about the arrow thing, but the thing that really made the website stand out from many others is the added story line to most of your shots it makes the photgraph that little more interesting, I spent ages looking at your site and never got bored once.
Well done Don.

marie
27th of June 2004 (Sun), 09:50
it works a dream Don.
followed your simple instructions to the letter.
the site is delicious

thank you for all you done in the past re high-res and low- res for all our sakes.
your pictures are so beautifully presented.

such high class beautiful shots

your quote
' I've eliminated the EXIF data for several reasons: 1) it adds time to my posting; 2) it doesn't offer a true picture of what's going on with the photo. In camera, I set my Sharpness, Saturation and Contrast to the lowest level, but I change these attributes in Photoshop, so they're meaningless; 3) the data doesn't tell you what macro lenses I'm using; and 4) I nearly always shoot in P mode, so the aperture and shutter speed are what the camera chooses, not me, so that information is of little value '

very many thanks for saying all.
it all helps

just a few here of some I had not seen before
some I had,
some old and some new
all of your shots really are wonderful
http://www.kleptography.com/lotus2828.htm
http://www.kleptography.com/lotus2873.htm
http://www.kleptography.com/lotus2859.htm
http://www.kleptography.com/lotus2837.htm
http://www.kleptography.com/irmantis-hangingon1807.htm
http://www.kleptography.com/irmantis-underleaf2.htm (y)
http://www.kleptography.com/irmantis-branchingout1903.htm
http://www.kleptography.com/garden-lizard3409.htm
http://www.kleptography.com/stockpile-grate5782.htm

http://www.kleptography.com/angles-moon6874.htm
'This is a temple in our village with a traditional green-tiled roof that's open to the sky. And that is the moon.
I took the shot from inside the temple looking towards the horizon. If there's any problem with the picture, it's that the moon is a separate photo. Neither shot looked very interesting alone, but quite nice combined. I console myself (and you) with the fact that this is where the moon normally comes up over the temple -- and the assurance that this is the only made-up shot on the site.'
unquote

thank you for sharing all these treasures for us all Don

it's really delightful stuff

8)

PhotosGuy
27th of June 2004 (Sun), 10:46
Very nice work.
I have to tell you that, for me, navigation has to be intuitive. I'm totally uninterested in reading a tutorial on how to navigate a site, & will never download some app that someone thinks I just have to have to see their site, either! I'm out of there so fast...

So, a suggestion (two actually):
Maybe a (tiny) word "Home" added to the Kleptography pic link?
And how about a "Home" link at the bottom of the pages?

robekert
27th of June 2004 (Sun), 14:49
Don,
I read all of the text on you site. I am glad that you found a compromise that you can live with in redesigning your web pages. I really like the medium grey background to present the shots. The color shots show up great. I use a similar color for my pages. I know that you had stated in the past that it was a bear to update the site. I hope updates will be easier now.

One thing I have always admired about you was your focus........getting the shot, that you wanted us to see, was the important thing. You don't use the most expensive, state of the art camera available, but you get every bit out of the equipment that anyone could. You are an asset to this board. I think I speak for all of us, we welcome and value your input, and your participation, in this fourm.

Cheers :wink:
Rob

blinking8s
27th of June 2004 (Sun), 18:45
nice work....tons of amazing photos in there

Don Ellis
27th of June 2004 (Sun), 19:51
Hi Don

I love your website and photos, its nice and easy to navigate and I totally agree about the arrow thing, but the thing that really made the website stand out from many others is the added story line to most of your shots it makes the photgraph that little more interesting, I spent ages looking at your site and never got bored once.
Well done Don.

What a nice compliment... thank you. I do think that while a picture may be worth a thousand words, sometimes you have to supply a few of them yourself. I'm glad you enjoy the remarks.

Don

Don Ellis
27th of June 2004 (Sun), 19:56
it works a dream Don.
followed your simple instructions to the letter.
the site is delicious

thank you for all you done in the past re high-res and low- res for all our sakes.
your pictures are so beautifully presented.

such high class beautiful shots

thank you for sharing all these treasures for us all Don

it's really delightful stuff

8)

Hi Marie,

Your comments are very welcome, not to mention flattering. I do tend to agree with FrankC about the navigation -- it needs to be as intuitive and as easy as possible. I've added two "home" links to every gallery page this morning, so the only thing that works differently now is clicking the full-sized photo to return to the gallery -- which should simplify my instructions.

Thanks, too, for choosing some pictures you hadn't seen before.

Cheers,

Don

Don Ellis
27th of June 2004 (Sun), 20:05
Very nice work.
I have to tell you that, for me, navigation has to be intuitive. I'm totally uninterested in reading a tutorial on how to navigate a site, & will never download some app that someone thinks I just have to have to see their site, either! I'm out of there so fast...

So, a suggestion (two actually):
Maybe a (tiny) word "Home" added to the Kleptography pic link?
And how about a "Home" link at the bottom of the pages?

Hi Frank,

I finished the website at midnight on Sunday and woke up Monday morning at 5:30, probably because of navigation nightmares. I don't want my convenience to be the inconvenience of visitors and I'm struggling to find a happy medium.

To that end, your suggestions...

1. I added not one but TWO "home" links -- one top, one bottom -- to all 22 gallery pages this morning by 6:15. Thank you for pointing out what should have been blindingly obvious.

2. I even created a "back" icon that I could use for each photo page and tested its look on one page... not bad, BUT... I think that the first time someone clicks on a photo to get a larger photo and ends up back at the gallery, they will understand the process, even without directions (and I doubt that even 5% of visitors read the introduction, so I'm not depending on it).

Perhaps a better solution is to ask a web designer for a more elegant "next/previous" solution. All I can promise is that I will look for one.

I do agree with what you say about unique navigation techniques... and I also hate the "Optimized for IE 5.x", and "Best viewed at 1024x768", and I wouldn't download a program to view anything. The idea originally was that Kleptography would be viewable on all browsers at all resolutions. Java navigation is something I've never considered before, but I hear that it's one alternative.

I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks again for the "home" suggestion. Spot on!

Don

charlesu
27th of June 2004 (Sun), 20:08
nm

Don Ellis
27th of June 2004 (Sun), 20:22
Hi Rob,

> I read all of the text on you site. I am glad that you found a compromise
> that you can live with in redesigning your web pages.

I can certainly live with it... now we'll see if visitors can. Fortunately, FrankC mentioned "home" links on the gallery pages which I implemented this morning, so that makes returning home a bit more obvious. And I'll explore "next/previous" solutions. I really don't like slide shows or clicking "next" buttons without knowing what's coming. But I imagine there are some who don't mind, or like the surprise.

> I really like the medium grey background to present the shots. The color
> shots show up great. I use a similar color for my pages.

Once I decided on gray, the red/maroon started driving me crazy. If there was any rush in the last few weeks (the conversion took longer than I expected, like most projects), it was to replace the color which looked so good on my monitor.

> I know that you had stated in the past that it was a bear to update the
> site. I hope updates will be easier now.

They certainly should be... just grab any HTML file in the gallery and change a few links and add some commentary. It was the parallel galleries and the next/previous links that were driving me crazy, not to mention a bit of extra work in photoshop to create three images -- thumbnail, small image, large image. I also dropped the extended image names that indicated what I'd done to the photo -- that also saves some time in the saving and the coding.

> One thing I have always admired about you was your focus........getting
> the shot, that you wanted us to see, was the important thing. You don't use
> the most expensive, state of the art camera available, but you get every
> bit out of the equipment that anyone could. You are an asset to this board.
> I think I speak for all of us, we welcome and value your input, and your
> participation, in this fourm.

It's amazing how little encouragement we need to keep doing what we're doing. Every once in a while I consider dropping out to focus on other things, but then people like you say something special and I wonder what I was thinking. Thank you. Pekka was the original inspiration for a gallery and many of the people who participate here are the reason I return.

Cheers,

Don

CyberDyneSystems
27th of June 2004 (Sun), 21:58
I like the new design Don.. and I'm sure there is more to see there than there was last time I visited..

You have a PM by the way... :D

PhotosGuy
27th of June 2004 (Sun), 22:26
Geeezz, Don! I didn't expect you to get up a 5:30 AM to make the changes just because one guy carped about one of his pet peeves! :lol:

The new links work great & I wouldn't suggest that you change anything else. I think you deserve to sleep in tomorrow! :lol: :wink:

drisley
27th of June 2004 (Sun), 23:14
Don
You've always had one of my favourite gallery sites on the net!
The new changes look even better!
D

Don Ellis
28th of June 2004 (Mon), 03:08
I like the new design Don.. and I'm sure there is more to see there than there was last time I visited..

You have a PM by the way... :D
Hi CDS,

There should be more...with more to come now that I can focus on posting rather than coding. I just checked my backlog folder to find 200 likely photos and even if good taste disposes of half that, there are still 100 to come. I'm almost sorry I looked. :)

Don

Don Ellis
28th of June 2004 (Mon), 03:11
Geeezz, Don! I didn't expect you to get up a 5:30 AM to make the changes just because one guy carped about one of his pet peeves! :lol:

The new links work great & I wouldn't suggest that you change anything else. I think you deserve to sleep in tomorrow! :lol: :wink:
Your pet peeve is my pet peeve... I was grateful that you mentioned something so soon after I posted the new website... and that I woke up in time to make the changes.

Thanks for that and for not making me put "back"on all the photos... at least yet. And I'm still debating how many people really would use Next/Previous links.

Cheers,

Don

Don Ellis
28th of June 2004 (Mon), 03:12
Don
You've always had one of my favourite gallery sites on the net!
The new changes look even better!
D
Good news from an old friend. Thank you.

Don

Don Ellis
28th of June 2004 (Mon), 03:13
And thanks to Charles and blinking8s... I appreciate your comments.

Don

Andy_T
28th of June 2004 (Mon), 05:54
Don,

great new design of your site.

I love your comments on the pictures.

The only thing I miss in the old version was the information how you took the photograph
(e.g. braced, handheld, tripod and the attrition rate :wink:)

However, I assume most 'normal' people might consider that technical information that distracts from your wonderful pictures.

Best regards,
Andy

Don Ellis
28th of June 2004 (Mon), 06:13
Don,

great new design of your site.

I love your comments on the pictures.

The only thing I miss in the old version was the information how you took the photograph
(e.g. braced, handheld, tripod and the attrition rate :wink:)

However, I assume most 'normal' people might consider that technical information that distracts from your wonderful pictures.

Best regards,
Andy
Hi Andy,

Thanks very much... glad I haven't alienated another friend(ly visitor). I sympathize with your loss... I obviously thought that information was interesting in the beginning, and it still would be except that it was becoming a real nuisance to remember/research.

As a poor substitute, I can offer some guidelines...

On a normal day, I can and do handhold at 1/20th of a second, sometimes slower.

Beyond that, I brace the camera or use a tripod. Bracing is so easy and effective that I only carry my large tripod on special occasions where I know I'll need it. Otherwise, I simply brace the camera against a tree, building, wall, railing, car, parking meter or whatever's handy. Obviously, something must be around and you can't always get perfect compostional placement but it's frequently better than lugging the tripod.

And my new technique for culling photos makes figuring the attrition rate harder now. I used to keep all photos and simply count them in BreezeBrowser but after three years and perhaps 70,000 shots (plus or minus 10,000 -- I wish the cameras had five digits rather than four), it's become foolish to keep everything, even in RAW, unconverted format. So now I'm more ruthless, killing off marginal photos as quickly as they come on-screen. Determining the attrition rate would take a calculator to figure the difference between the first and last image numbers. I'm sorry, but it had to go.

What I really need is a web-writing assistant that I just toss completed photos to, along with shooting information. Until that happens, however, I'm forced to take a minimalist approach.

What I can promise is that I'll retain general comments and observations to make up for it. :wink:

Thanks again for looking and reporting back.

Cheers,

Don

marie
28th of June 2004 (Mon), 06:48
And I'm still debating how many people really would use Next/Previous links.

just to say, in case it helps for you to know our viewing (poll)
I never click on next/previous links Don

also wanted to say that I like very much the multicoloured line which you have underneath the pictures and words.

thanks
8)

Don Ellis
28th of June 2004 (Mon), 06:56

I put a Y beside one of the links of your pictures above

also wanted to say that I like very much the multicoloured line which you have underneath the pictures and words.

thanks
8)
Hi Marie,

Thanks for starting a poll... I've giving two votes to everyone who doesn't use Next/Previous because I believe in impartiality. :)

Thanks for spotting the extra "y" -- I can use all the proofreading ability I can get. Never be afraid to point out mistakes (it's fixed now). I looked at a few of the gallery notes today and have already revised three of them for content.

Glad you like the line... created especially for this website. A small thing but it adds color to the infrared photo pages and acts as an anchor for them all.

Cheers,

Don

Don Ellis
28th of June 2004 (Mon), 22:12
On the new Kleptography, you click on large photos to return to the galleries -- in other words, the photo is your "Back" button.

Until this morning, that would toss you back to the top of the gallery, which was a bit of a nuisance if you were looking at photos further down. Thanks to Todd Northcutt who suggested a bit of Java code, clicking on the photo now returns you to where you were in the gallery -- just as the "Back" button on your browser, mouse or keyboard would do.

It's a vast improvement and I mention it here because of comments I've made earlier. New visitors to the website won't need any comments at all (we hope).

Cheers,

Don

marie
29th of June 2004 (Tue), 02:52

I put a Y beside one of the links of your pictures above

thanks
8)
Hi Marie,

Thanks for starting a poll... I've giving two votes to everyone who doesn't use Next/Previous because I believe in impartiality. :)

Thanks for spotting the extra "y" -- I can use all the proofreading ability I can get. Never be afraid to point out mistakes (it's fixed now). I looked at a few of the gallery notes today and have already revised three of them for content.

Glad you like the line... created especially for this website. A small thing but it adds color to the infrared photo pages and acts as an anchor for them all.

Cheers,

Don

many thanks Don .
I hope to go through all your gallery again later

I especially love this shot showing the feet (below)
really think it's excellent . love it

I don't think there is one shot I don't like and I love how you finish them off
(that remark meant in the nicest way) :lol:

regards the Y
as soon as I sent the reply yesterday, I looked on your gallery and saw were you had changed the word
and you had understood the reason I put the Y there
so I quickly took off my remarks about it
and then when I posted I saw where you had replied to the Y
so it was ..... :oops: :oops: all round
:mrgreen:
take care

http://www.kleptography.com/stockpile-grate5782.htm..jpg