PDA

View Full Version : Lightroom capacity limitations.

buddy4344
10th of August 2007 (Fri), 14:19
I had about 16,000 photos catelogued in Lightroom. I just came back from Botsswana where several of us shot and wanted to upload onto my machine (another 80 gig of shots). Now at over 40,000 shots in the data base, Lightroom is really moving slow when I click on the Loupe function.

Any ideas beyond deleting files? Anyone else seen this issue?

In2Photos
10th of August 2007 (Fri), 14:22
There is a way to optimize the catalog under Edit Preferences that is supposed to add speed. Worth a shot.

I have about 15,000 images in my personal catalog but have moved any business shots to their own catalog. I now have 3 so far and it helps keep everything a little cleaner and faster.

figmented
10th of August 2007 (Fri), 19:01
yeah, i have 3 catalogues as well..

1 for portrait, family, models

1 for weddings, engagements

1 for personal photos

but i still have like 20k photos in the portrait one, and works fine for me

davidfig
10th of August 2007 (Fri), 22:05
I just downloaded Lightroom a few days ago. But its already slow with just 207 pictures in it. Seems that I only have 1G memory and I need more. I can't believe I just said that. I don't get it. Why does it need more memory than PSCS2 with a reduced feature set compared?

Anke
10th of August 2007 (Fri), 22:06
I just downloaded Lightroom a few days ago. But its already slow with just 207 pictures in it. Seems that I only have 1G memory and I need more. I can't believe I just said that. I don't get it. Why does it need more memory than PSCS2 with a reduced feature set compared?

Have you updated to LR1.1? The speed was MUCH improved.

davidfig
10th of August 2007 (Fri), 22:08
Have you updated to LR1.1? The speed was MUCH improved.

I just downloaded 2 days ago. Checked about, its 1.1. Maybe I'm doing something stupid, but I didn't change any settings yet. So it's OOTB. Out of the Box.

In2Photos
10th of August 2007 (Fri), 22:21
I just downloaded 2 days ago. Checked about, its 1.1. Maybe I'm doing something stupid, but I didn't change any settings yet. So it's OOTB. Out of the Box.
It might be trying to render previews which will consume resources. It should speed up once the previews have been rendered.

buddy4344
11th of August 2007 (Sat), 12:38
OK - I went and upgraded to 1.1 (I had tried this once before and locked things up - but this time it went smooth. Then under edit>preferences>go to catalouge settings, I clicked Relaunch and Optimize button under the "general" tab". This helped a lot.

I see how to create a new catalogue under File>create new catalogue. Are you guys saying I should create this for (let's say) "Botswana Trip" and then drag those files into that directory? Do I need to delete or move libraries under the original Catalogue?

Help/advice appreciated.

In2Photos
11th of August 2007 (Sat), 12:43
OK - I went and upgraded to 1.1 (I had tried this once before and locked things up - but this time it went smooth. Then under edit>preferences>go to catalouge settings, I clicked Relaunch and Optimize button under the "general" tab". This helped a lot.

I see how to create a new catalogue under File>create new catalogue. Are you guys saying I should create this for (let's say) "Botswana Trip" and then drag those files into that directory? Do I need to delete or move libraries under the original Catalogue?

Help/advice appreciated.
If you have already loaded the files into your main catalog you should be able to export them to the new catalog (which will transfer all files and settings).

buddy4344
14th of August 2007 (Tue), 10:52
Thanks for all of the help. LR up and running at speed again.

sjnovakovich
14th of August 2007 (Tue), 15:28
If you have an understanding of databases, you'll know why this is. The program probably uses a Microsoft Jet database engine and the MAC equivalent. With that type of engine, it is important to keep "taking out the trash" through optimization because everytime you search or create new tables, i.e. new catalogues, a lot of garbage is produced in the database. This ends up slowing processing time. Microsoft Jet also runs much faster with one large table rather than several small tables, so the more catalogues, the slower it will run.

All of the above is predicated on the theory that Lightroom uses a Jet engine.

Steve

In2Photos
14th of August 2007 (Tue), 15:33
If you have an understanding of databases, you'll know why this is. The program probably uses a Microsoft Jet database engine and the MAC equivalent. With that type of engine, it is important to keep "taking out the trash" through optimization because everytime you search or create new tables, i.e. new catalogues, a lot of garbage is produced in the database. This ends up slowing processing time. Microsoft Jet also runs much faster with one large table rather than several small tables, so the more catalogues, the slower it will run.

All of the above is predicated on the theory that Lightroom uses a Jet engine.

Steve
I think it uses SQLite actually.

jbimages
14th of August 2007 (Tue), 20:35
Mike is correct, it uses SQLite. Each catalogue is contained within its own file.