PDA

View Full Version : New to this forum

myarrowsaim
28th of June 2002 (Fri), 16:41
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I have a black and white picture here that I took of my sister. I will be posting some color pictures soon, but I figured some of you that have experience shooting in the b/w mode of the G1 could give me some tips.

Thanks,
Josh

http://www.pbase.com/image/2775277

Leighow
3rd of July 2002 (Wed), 15:03
JOSH

I have no tips to offer, as I do not shoot in B & W. But elsewhere (somewhere on the site) we talked about taking portraits. I recall suggesting (and including) a link to some shots by the Krash. My memory of Karsh's shots brings on a stronger sense of blacks and skin tones.

I do like this shot of your sister. It is perhaps a bit soft -- but you have caught that "..I am ticked off with you ..." expression that young girls seem to pull on us guys at this age -- be this one posed or natural!

Thanks

HOWIE.

philgabe
5th of July 2002 (Fri), 11:32
Hey Josh:

I don't really have experience shooting B&W with a digital camera, but I do shooting film. There might be a few differences here and there but overall the same principles apply.

Aside from composition--which by the way I liked in your picture, centering the subject works with a goofy pose and the angle of the camera slightly below eye level is nice too (it looks like she popped right in front of you which makes the picture natural)--the main thing that can be improved is the lighting. I don't know if you used flash or not (there are catch lights in her eyes, but that could be another source of light than flash?), but when you shoot B&W with available light, try to have the subject be close to a light source that casts highlights and shadows on different parts of the face. That provides more texture and 3D feel to the face. Then expose for the highlights and let the deepest shadows go totally dark. It makes for more dramatic portraits and you get a wide range of tones from pure white to pure black. Your picture has too much mid grey--in Photoshop you should be able to somewhat correct that.

Below is a link to a B&W portrait I shot where I used light coming from a ceiling window to provide primary light for the mother and I posed her son such that only one side of his face gets the light, throwing shadows on his other side. Exposure was calculated on the mom's face and all the darker shadows on the right bottom were allowed to be balck. It's just one example that shows you don't need complicated lighting equipment to generate a wide range of tonalities.

http://www.epochphotos.com/images/photo.php?photo=413&exhibition=7

I'm wondering if you did any manipulation of the file in Photoshop (level, contrast, sharpening....)?

Hope that's the kind of feedback you're looking for. With a little bit of playing with light, this could be a great goofy portrait!

Cheers.

Philippe